• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, if for whatever reason Wisconsin beats Alabama, I'm absolutely tuning into the Finebaum show. I'll DVR it even.

I wonder what the normal ratings for Finebaum are on ESPN, and what they were the week after the Sugar Bowl. I even had friends here in Seattle talking about watching Finebaum that week.

I still don't entirely understand the visceral hatred a lot of SEC folks seem to have specifically for Ohio State and the B1G.

I mean, it seemed to really emerge when we got BTFO in the MNC in '07 and '08. I just don't quite get why that translates into such fiery hatred. Ridicule? Sure, I get that, and we certainly earned it by shitting the bed two years in a row. I'd say other conferences have more reason to dislike us for fucking up those two games than anyone in the SEC does.

Not that I'm bothered by it. I just find it perplexing.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I still don't entirely understand the visceral hatred a lot of SEC folks seem to have specifically for Ohio State and the B1G.
The issue here seems to be that your opinion is informed primarily by callers to the Paul Finebaum show. Among the Alabama fans I know in real life, Ohio State and the B1G hasn't been mentioned outside of the context of y'all's Sugar Bowl victory over us. Oh, and there was some discussion over your QB situation.

I don't have any room left to hate you guys or the B1G. Notre Dame, Tennessee, and UNC take up too much space.

Draxal

Insert Mark Richt has lost control of ...

CMtdD40WoAE6XYB.png:large

The issue here seems to be that your opinion is informed primarily by callers to the Paul Finebaum show. Among the Alabama fans I know in real life, Ohio State and the B1G hasn't been mentioned outside of the context of y'all's Sugar Bowl victory over us. Oh, and there was some discussion over your QB situation.

I don't have any room left to hate you guys or the B1G. Notre Dame, Tennessee, and UNC take up too much space.

God's honest truth: The first day I actually listened to Finebaum was January 2, 2015. I hadn't listened to his show a single time before that. I think I'd heard one or two clips of Phyllis and that was my the breadth of my experience with the Finebaum Show. Again, a lot of this stuff seems to go back to the Tressel era. Or perhaps before that. I dunno.

I'm just saying that generally, the SEC seems to harbor the most hatred for the B1G out of any other conference, which kind of strikes me as weird. I'd expect it to be the ACC, since there's some actual overlap in the footprints and a handful of rivalries between the two conferences.

Draxal

God's honest truth: The first day I actually listened to Finebaum was January 2, 2015. I hadn't listened to his show a single time before that. I think I'd heard one or two clips of Phyllis and that was my the breadth of my experience with the Finebaum Show. Again, a lot of this stuff seems to go back to the Tressel era. Or perhaps before that. I dunno.

I'm just saying that generally, the SEC seems to harbor the most hatred for the B1G out of any other conference, which kind of strikes me as weird. I'd expect it to be the ACC, since there's some actual overlap in the footprints and a handful of rivalries between the two conferences.

This feud is entertaining at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkasPnVS8c

mre

Again, I've identified your problem. Stop trying to draw grains of truth from the Finebaum show. Especially when you first tuned in the day after Ohio State beat Alabama.

Again, I've identified your problem. Stop trying to draw grains of truth from the Finebaum show. Especially when you first tuned in the day after Ohio State beat Alabama.

And again, I've said that my observations of the SEC's dislike of the B1G predates my experiences with the Finebaum Show.

At the same time, I think it's somewhat mistaken to claim that Finebaum callers don't represent the opinions of SEC fans in any capacity whatsoever. Finebaum's producers seem to do a very rudimentary job (probably intentionally) of screening calls, and Paul lets them say virtually whatever the hell they want. It's a pretty much an unfiltered microphone for any SEC fan who wants to voice an opinion. The show is obviously not a scientific gauge of SEC attitudes, but it's representative of at least some portion of SEC fandom.

If someone were to waste their time with a scientific poll on the subject, I can't imagine the B1G wouldn't rank as the most hated opposing conference from SEC fans.

Lunar15

And again, I've said that my observations of the SEC's dislike of the B1G predates my experiences with the Finebaum Show.

At the same time, I think it's somewhat mistaken to claim that Finebaum callers don't represent the opinions of SEC fans in any capacity whatsoever. Finebaum's producers seem to do a very rudimentary job (probably intentionally) of screening calls, and Paul lets them say virtually whatever the hell they want. It's a pretty much an unfiltered microphone for any SEC fan who wants to voice an opinion. The show is obviously not a scientific gauge of SEC attitudes, but it's representative of at least some portion of SEC fandom.

If someone were to waste their time with a scientific poll on the subject, I can't imagine the B1G wouldn't rank as the most hated opposing conference from SEC fans.

I'd say ACC, given the close quarters of most of the rivalries:

Georgia = Georgia Tech
Florida = Florida State
South Carolina = Clempson

mre

You realize that Tammy isn't actually like she comes off on the Finebaum show, right? She doesn't actually hate "Bammers" as rabidly as you would think. The regular callers to that show are all real people, but they're playing characters and caricatures because it gets them past the screener and on air. If their "bit" results in a lot of people calling in (or tweeting or whatever) because of how white trash Tammy is, then they're going to put Tammy on whenever she calls in.

And now you know the dirty secret of the Finebaum show.

Talon

Guys, I finally saw the Alabama sorority video. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be outraged about? Aside from not being able to bang any of those women, of course.

Also, fries are best when dipped in ranch. And not salad dressing ranch. That runny ranch that you can only find at local southern restaurants. You guys know what I'm talking about!
Runny Ranch is the type of shits you get after eating in some of those southern restaurants.

You realize that Tammy isn't actually like she comes off on the Finebaum show, right? She doesn't actually hate "Bammers" as rabidly as you would think. The regular callers to that show are all real people, but they're playing characters and caricatures because it gets them past the screener and on air. If their "bit" results in a lot of people calling in (or tweeting or whatever) because of how white trash Tammy is, then they're going to put Tammy on whenever she calls in.

Let me see dem receipts my lawya man! Tammy and Phyllis represent the entire state of 'bama as far as i am concerned!

As a one-time sports radio call screener, I definitely know how that shit works.

clav

Somehow Northwestern and Stanford series went from 6 games to 2 games.

One this year in Evanston and another one in 2019 in Palo Alto.

Tip if you ever decide to call a radio show: DON'T tell the host how you're a long time/first time and how much you love the show. They hear it five billion times and it drives them nuts.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I was very drunkenly on Big Red Overreaction after midnight from Indianapolis when Wisconsin pounded Nebraska in the 2012 Big Ten Championship game.

I laid out a very distinct case why Bo Pelini should be fired. The hosts couldn't really argue any points I made....

Only took two more years for Nebraska to listen to me.

mre

Tip if you ever decide to call a radio show: DON'T tell the host how you're a long time/first time and how much you love the show. They hear it five billion times and it drives them nuts.
I would suggest not asking them how they're doing, either.

AntoneM

I missed the hot sauce census, but, I don't care.

All purpose - Tapatio
Noodles and soup - Sriracha of course
all things fried or breaded chicken - Frank's

I would suggest not asking them how they're doing, either.

My absolute favorite are the callers who are so flustered that it sounds like the show has called them.

Host: "Up next we have Rob in Gahanna. Go ahead, Rob."

(silence)

Host: "Rob, you there?"

(silence)

Rob: "H...hello?"

Host: "Rob, you're on the air. Go ahead."

Rob: "Thanks. Big fan of the show."

(silence)

Host: "What's your take, Rob?"

My absolute favorite are the callers who are so flustered that it sounds like the show has called them.

(silence)

(silence)

(silence)

Would rather listen to them then that smuchk T-bone on the drive home show now

mre

(silence)

(silence)

(silence)

Hah! So true. Radio hosts pull more teeth than dentists trying to get people to talk.

Limedust

Azwethinkweiz said:
Also, fries are best when dipped in ranch. And not salad dressing ranch. That runny ranch that you can only find at local southern restaurants. You guys know what I'm talking about!

mre said:

This must be a Gen-Y / Millennial thing. My younger brother and eldest daughter do this. Do you dip your pizza in it, too?

I used to like ranch before it became the new ketchup.

... and speaking of salad dressing, everyone should try Panera Asian Sesame sometime. Good stuff.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Only time I ever called in to a sports talk show was a local show that doesn't exist anymore to snag some free tickets. Got 2 tickets to go up to Road Atlanta and see a race.

Race itself wasn't a big deal, but it was legit cool to go see the track itself.

andycapps

I mean, it seemed to really emerge when we got BTFO in the MNC in '07 and '08. I just don't quite get why that translates into such fiery hatred. Ridicule? Sure, I get that, and we certainly earned it by shitting the bed two years in a row. I'd say other conferences have more reason to dislike us for fucking up those two games than anyone in the SEC does.

Not that I'm bothered by it. I just find it perplexing.

Couple of things on this since I missed this discussion and the discussion of what sauce fries need.

Do all SEC fans hate the B1G? Probably not, though you're going to hear a certain segment of them on the Finebaum show. Most SEC fans detest the Finebaum show as it presents a very stereotypical sort of audience that is typically the dregs of each fanbase. There aren't typically well reasoned arguments presented by callers on that show.

Finebaum knows what his show has become and it's a ratings hit so they play it up. It is what it is, but if you're looking for a poll in how the SEC fanbase of 14 different schools feels about tOSU or the B1G you're not going to find it there.

Also, yeah, there probably is some dislike of tOSU among at least segments of SEC fanbases. I'd say there are a couple of issues there. One is that the B1G, outside of tOSU and Michigan State, sucks. So the perception is that tOSU can cruise through their schedule every year and not be challenged. The feeling is that if they had to go through an SEC conference schedule that they would be more beat up and would lose more games. I think there's an element of jealousy among some SEC fans that they can seemingly cruise through that schedule every year, and a wish that the SEC were as easy to get through as the B1G.

The other thing there could be is a dislike of Urban Meyer. He's a polarizing coach, and he definitely burned a lot of bridges at Florida. Georgia fans have no love for him. Not sure how the rest of the conference fans feel.

And on the fries topic, I used to be a ranch guy but have settled back into more of a ketchup routine. Something simple and perfect about the sweet and tangy flavor of ketchup mixed with the saltiness of the fries. Though when I get a fish sandwich combo from McD's I'll get a side of tarter sauce and dip my fries in that.

andycapps

Speaking of people playing characters calling into radio shows, there's a guy that plays a Macho Man character that always calls the UGA post-game show.

Jhriad

I was very drunkenly on Big Red Overreaction after midnight from Indianapolis when Wisconsin pounded Nebraska in the 2012 Big Ten Championship game.

I laid out a very distinct case why Bo Pelini should be fired. The hosts couldn't really argue any points I made....

Only took two more years for Nebraska to listen to me.

You actually got on air? I've never bothered to call in because I figured the wait time to get on was going to be ridiculous. Always listen to the show though even when it goes hours into the night after one of the big losses.

Limedust

You probably put ketchup on your hotdog too.

Leave!

I'm pretty snooty when it comes to hotdogs. I bit into a "crunchy" when I was a kid, and never recovered. Better be all-beef or I'm out.

chopped onions
chili
mustard
shredded cheese
sauerkraut

... all viable options.

This must be a Gen-Y / Millennial thing. My younger brother and eldest daughter do this. Do you dip your pizza in it, too?

I used to like ranch before it became the new ketchup.

... and speaking of salad dressing, everyone should try Panera Asian Sesame sometime. Good stuff.

Buddy, I'm probably older than you are. The deliciousness of ranch is timeless!

I grew up watching college football in the South from the late 80s onward. The main issue I saw with the southern schools (including FSU/Miami here ) was that by 1990/1991 or so they had changed the sport in some very substantial ways (speed, agility, explosiveness vs. brute power and force) and a lot of the teams in the North were super slow to adapt to that change, and insulated from it since they didn't play vs. teams in the South. Note that this started with Miami and FSU, diffused to UF and the rest of the successful half of the SEC in the early 1990s.

Then you'd watch ESPN and read the college football articles and it felt like you were reading BIG 10 AWESOME over and over again when in your mind they were also-rans in a conference of teams that were not on the same level as your best teams. Put their best up against the South's best, and you'd expect the South team to come away winners 70%+ of the time. Yet still, in all the college media BIG 10 BIG 10 BIG 10, shitheads like Beano Cook on ESPN fellating whatever loser garbage Penn St. and Notre Dame was fielding that year, etc.

Now of course the Southerners weren't entirely correct, if they were Oklahoma's and especially Nebraska's performance in the 1990s would not have happened. But it is what people who really loved college football in the South kind of believed at the time.

Anyway, some perspective. Also keep in mind that white southeners as a whole have very different cultural values than Northerners. The football related discord ramping up at the same time as the arise of Morton Downey and Rush Limbaugh is also not mere coincidence.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
took me a second to realize those were hotdogs, and not just the communal shredded cheese pot at a Do-It-Yourself Taco stand.

Lunar15

Chili cheese dogs are my favorite way to have a hot dog. With my own homemade chili, of course.

Brauts, now, that's a whole different category. I boil those in beer, onions, and spices for a bit before throwing on a grill. A tiny splash of mustard and maybe a bit of saukraut and you're good to go.

andycapps

Leave!

I'm pretty snooty when it comes to hotdogs. I bit into a "crunchy" when I was a kid, and never recovered. Better be all-beef or I'm out.

chopped onions
chili
mustard
shredded cheese
sauerkraut

... all viable options.

I agree with all of this. One of my favorite ways to have a hotdog is with coleslaw on top, actually. Otherwise, it's probably chopped onions and mustard, maybe a little shredded cheese.

Proof that bucknut and I are not the same poster:

I would NEVER suggest that Cincinnati chili is anything other than completely disgusting.

Thank you. That shit is vile.

mre said:
Also, chili cheese dogs killed Lewis Grizzard. Think on that for a second.

It might have also been the excessive alcohol in combo with those chili cheese dogs from the Varsity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom