• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt know him till tonight when. Ive been trying to keep up with who is leaving and what not, article said he was a 4 star and a Cal recruit at some point :p .
He was the most highly rated defensive recruit coming in the Cal class, so it hurts to lose out on him. At this point, Cal is mostly stocking up on JuCo transfers since they're so short on bodies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Totally, AJ. Totally.

Time to turn over the ol' Twitter account to your agent, AJ.

Edit: actually, he can keep the Twitter account. He should give his agent his TV remote control because, damn, why is he watching the Grammy's?

KingGondo

Banned
Time to turn over the ol' Twitter account to your agent, AJ.

Edit: actually, he can keep the Twitter account. He should give his agent his TV remote control because, damn, why is he watching the Grammy's?
The devil made him do it.

AJ is but a vessel for the will of Sa
b
an.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm sure there's a couple guys with tweaked knees or bad elbows that are in need of a medical scholarship.

I have also heard that Parker McCleod is transferring, but I have no written proof anywhere. I'm like 4th or 5th down the rumor vine.

Draxal

Man, the Rutgers rivals board is so toxic right now. Ran off a mod on his own wedding night (although what he did was stupid and he owned up to it).

I can't stop reading, I'm such a glutton for punishment.

cdyhybrid

Man, the Rutgers rivals board is so toxic right now. Ran off a mod on his own wedding night (although what he did was stupid and he owned up to it).

I think I've gotten too old for that kind of shit. Although things aren't as bad now that Tyrone and Sark (to a lesser degree) are gone now.

I just read recruiting updates from the staff and posters that I know have connections. I don't read any discussions among posters that aren't in those two groups.

Draxal

I think I've gotten too old for that kind of shit. Although things aren't as bad now that Tyrone and Sark (to a lesser degree) are gone now.

I just read recruiting updates from the staff and posters that I know have connections. I don't read any discussions among posters that aren't in those two groups.

Oh it's really really really bad here, Rutgers had the second largest sports subsidy in Div I (we're paying off a stadium, and we support too many olympics), and the AAC has witheld payments for anything since Nov 2012, plus we had to pay the buyout from switching to IMG, plus the Rice lawsuit fallout. We are dead broke, and this year is going to be a complete disaster.

The board has pretty much turned in to 95% and ran off the positoids that Sirpopopopopop aped.

andycapps

I'm sure there's a couple guys with tweaked knees or bad elbows that are in need of a medical scholarship.

I have also heard that Parker McCleod is transferring, but I have no written proof anywhere. I'm like 4th or 5th down the rumor vine.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they'll find some guys they can move to a medical scholarship. Or they'll make some kid not sign and have him enroll early next year or something.

I know it's not much, but my Father is withholding his yearly donation from Rutgers over Flood's ineptitude.

30K less the Athletic Department gets.

cdyhybrid

Oh it's really really really bad here, Rutgers had the second largest sports subsidy in Div I (we're paying off a stadium, and we support too many olympics), and the AAC has witheld payments for anything since Nov 2012, plus we had to pay the buyout from switching to IMG, plus the Rice lawsuit fallout. We are dead broke, and this year is going to be a complete disaster.

The board has pretty much turned in to 95% and ran off the positoids that Sirpopopopopop aped.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a lot worse than ours has been for a while now. I'd probably just cancel my subscription until changes were made.

Or at least remove the bookmark from my browser, or something.

Lonestar

Oh yeah, I'm sure they'll find some guys they can move to a medical scholarship. Or they'll make some kid not sign and have him enroll early next year or something.

Think they are hoping to pull in 3-5 more players (Elam, Humphrey, R. Evans are the 3 I know of), and "They" said we "had room for those players." If we miss on all 3, the amount of players needing to go should change.

I'm sure there are some academic players we aren't getting into school, but I don't know any details. Closest I've heard was that Bo Scarbrough might be short of credits.

lollerskates. Cal fan forums have always been like that too. "Negabears" vs "sunshine pumpers." I stopped visiting after a while because the snippets of interesting info just weren't worth the mounds of bullshit.

Fire Flood.

I have never seen the term sunshine pumpers used anywhere but college football message boards. I wonder if it is used anywhere else.

Subitai

I didnt know him till tonight when. Ive been trying to keep up with who is leaving and what not, article said he was a 4 star and a Cal recruit at some point :p

For instance just tonight I learned a back up and a wr transferred out to l'ville and umass. All this coming and going of players is confusing.
Yeah, I can't keep up anymore. Someone wake me on signing day.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Think they are hoping to pull in 3-5 more players (Elam, Humphrey, R. Evans are the 3 I know of), and "They" said we "had room for those players." If we miss on all 3, the amount of players needing to go should change.

I'm sure there are some academic players we aren't getting into school, but I don't know any details. Closest I've heard was that Bo Scarbrough might be short of credits.

Well that would suck, but we're deep on RBs as it is.

Doubt Bama gets all three of those players anyway, from what I've seen in the very little I follow recruiting Evans doesn't seem likely. Not really sure about the other two, but both would probably be helpful if they live up to their hype/ratings.

Has Hermann reached out to him?

Nope.

He reached out to her.

He sent her a yuuuuge email blasting the entire Admin, right after the USF game.

Pretty much he's afraid of his alma mater turning into the Pirates or the Royals of the NCAA. Bankrolling those B1G checks but not investing the money into the program to get a bigger return.

Copy of said letter

I've kept quiet long enough. The tipping point was over this weekend, getting a letter asking for donation to the Student-Athlete Scholarship Fund, quoting the letter "To compete like a Big Ten Program, Rutgers needs the resources of a Big Ten program, and that means a dramatic need for private support." On the surface that seems fair enough, however to support the Football team in a time like these is unheard of.

Kyle Flood, while might be a gentleman, and handles himself with a great decorum, is just completely overwhelmed to lead my Alma mater into an athletic conference like the Big Ten. Do I have to quote the statistics? The common sense things one can see from just watching a couple games? How his teams always regress as the season goes on. Injuries happen, but for the same mistakes to happen in Game 1, and still appear rampantly in Game 12 is no where near acceptable.

While the recent staff firings is a decent start (Spence, Cohen, and Wrobolewski) you must remove the head of the creature killing Rutgers Football. Let's look at the facts, Kyle Flood inherited the keys to a BCS Division 1-A Football program by default. He was the third fall back option after Steve Addazio and Mario Cristobal refused to accept the job. His tenure at Rutgers has been a confusing one. He's been touted as a great OL Coach, but his lines have been mediocre at best, he over saw one of the worst offensive lines in history in 2010, a line so bad a conventionally running game wasn't even feasible, the passing game was hindered by the fact nearly one of out four drop backs either resulted in a sack or the QB getting hit. He should have been let go after that year, however what happens? He gets a promotion to be the Assistant Offensive Coordinator, and he performs just as badly with a healthy bonus and raise. Then comes January 2012 and he inherits the keys to the program because he was the lone coach senior member of the coaching staff Schiano didn't take with him to Tampa Bay.

The signs were there in 2012 that this was a short sighted solution. An embarrassing defeat on Homecoming to Kent State where he allowed his QB to remain in the game despite throwing 6 interceptions. From that moment on the wheels fell off the program. He completed the backdoor cover into having a share of the Big East title, and then went onto what was the most prestigious bowl game this university has been a part of, and showed his uselessness again.

2013 was the final nail in the coffin. The defense was expected to be depleted after losing 7 starters to the NFL, however there was no reason for the incompetence of the coaching staff to allow the defense to be as bad as it was. This year saw the toxic locker room in full effect. Numerous players leaving the team mid-season, the bullying scenario, the complete failure in handling the Ian Thomas transfer to the point where Flood was caught making up a story that he (Thomas) was pursuing to play baseball at another university, a sport he never even played in High School. Multiple blow out losses, including another disappointing performance on Homecoming.

In two short years, Kyle Flood has decimated everything his predecessor Greg Schiano built up in the previous decade. He took us from the cellar of college athletics to going to numerous bowl games, recruiting high caliber recruits, and turning numerous Scarlet Knights into NFL players. Flood in 2 years has nearly taken this program back to the Terry Shea days, the days where Strength and Conditioning wasn't even mandatory, days where Rutgers was pegged below the majority of DIV-1AA programs. The days where where fielding enough players for game days were a struggle were common place.

I cannot support my Alma mater where they demand cream of the crop support, and put out a miserable product. I have no issue paying and donating a substantial amount to the program if my contributions are seen on game day.

A 6-6 season, in a league that is the culmination of the Island of Misfit Toys, a weigh station of mediocrity with only a few legitimate BCS programs in Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, UConn, and in the end UCF who is representing this conference in our BCS Bowl tie in. The tea leaves coming out over the last weekend, was that a loss against South Florida would result in his termination. I'm sorry but a convincing win against a 2-9 South Florida team which is beyond despair shouldn't be enough to save his job.

You made a statement that "This stadium won't be blue" next year. Well, did you notice the crowd on Senior Night for the South Florida game? The "announced" attendance was a number approximately around 38500. We both know that it was 17-18000 at best. Keeping Flood into next year will only make the Rutgers fans disappear, and the visitors take over the stadium. People aren't going to be interested to see PSU, Michigan, OSU, Nebraska, and Wisconsin come into New Brunswick to see them demolish our program.

Champagne taste on a beer budget. That sums up what the Athletic Department has been doing the last 2 years. You cannot expect to compete in a conference where our Head Coach, is making half of what the cheapest Big Ten Head Coach is making. Purdue is paying former Rutgers assistant Darrell Hazell nearly 1.8 million dollars. They paid him nearly two million dollars for a 1-11 season. What are you expecting to happen next year?

My family has held season tickets for over 30 years. We've been through the best and worst of times of this program, from the final year of Frank R Burns, to Dick Anderson, to Doug Graber, to Terry Shea, to Greg Schiano, to Kyle Flood. I understand comparatively Rutgers is a cheap buy to Michigan or Ohio State, but they can get away with what the requite from their fans, because of history. Rutgers cannot gouge their current fan base with high ticket prices, donation requirements, and so on for a mediocre at best program. Your former employer the University of Louisville could charge a much higher premium, they showed they cared about "big time" football. They made big names hires in Petrino, and when mediocre wasn't good enough (Steve Kragthorpe), the donors came out and found the money for Charlie Strong, who was well overdue for a Head Coaching job after working under Urban Meyer for years at Florida.

I don't want Flood to be our Kragthorpe. Each year he remains he is making it harder and harder for Rutgers to be competitive. One of my biggest fears is to see a school like UConn who is relegated to being left behind in the American Athletic Conference go out and make a big time hire. To see a coach like Pat Narduzzi, Pete Lembo, or even Dave Clawson find their way up in Storrs would be sickening. The recent firings have been a decent start, but more is needed. You cannot expect a coaching staff of Division 1AA coaches to compete in an elite power conference like the Big 10. On paper the only coaches on staff that have the pedigree for a challenge is Ron Prince and Darrell Wilson. Flood cannot rely on his Hofstra and Delaware connections to get him far in a conference that even the weakest team could've made noise in our current American Athletic Conference..

All she responded with "It's an open and ongoing process".

andycapps

Looks like UCF wasn't happy that one of their commits was thinking about backing off (and later did). Reminds me of when Paul Johnson through a fit a couple years ago because a commit took an official visit somewhere else and he yanked their offer.

“UCF knew about the visit before I went, yes sir,” Sanders said. “And I let them know I had a home visit with Georgia tonight. They wanted to know what would happen if Georgia offered me tonight, and when I gave them my answer, they had to do what they did. It’s all good, though. UCF is a good school, and everything worked out for the best.”

For the first time in the history of college sports, athletes are asking to be represented by a labor union, taking formal steps on Tuesday to begin the process of being recognized as employees, ESPN's "Outside The Lines" has learned.

Ramogi Huma, president of the National College Players Association, filed a petition in Chicago on behalf of football players at Northwestern University, submitting the form at the regional office of the National Labor Relations Board.

Backed by the United Steelworkers union, Huma also filed union cards signed by an undisclosed number of Northwestern players with the NLRB -- the federal statutory body that recognizes groups that seek collective bargaining rights.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/10363430

And here...we...go...

At least NW can say theyre striking against bowl wins instead of just not winning bowls.

Talon

As you all know, I just want to watch college football burn.

But, first, a couple jokes.

Classic Fitz Trick Play where the starting quarterback tries to organize instead of practicing football and winning games.

NU has been destroying football on the field of play for years, why not start doing the same off the field!

I'm here all year!

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/01/28/acc-and-espn-could-be-headed-for-nine-game-schedule/

In ACC news, the 9 game league schedule might be back on the table thanks to ESPN, particularly if they go to an ACC Network. Also of note, it appears that at least Georgia Tech expects the per-school payout to be $22.2 million, as opposed to the projected $17 million, for 2015 fiscal year. Part of that is attributed to the grant of rights, and I suppose part of it could be bowl game payouts (11 of 14 teams went to a bowl this year, 2 of which were BCS), and who knows what else.

Draxal

Friedgen is looking very likely to be Rutgers OC.

Very good hire, Flood finally won a battle. (if it officialy happens).

Friedgen is looking very likely to be Rutgers OC.

Very good hire, Flood finally won a battle. (if it officialy happens).

My biggest fear is that we'll be stuck with the Fridge as the Head Coach in Waiting.

I love him as an OC, I don't want him leading the team for the long haul.

Give me Morris from Clemson or Narduzzi from MSU.

Draxal

My biggest fear is that we'll be stuck with the Fridge as the Head Coach in Waiting.

I love him as an OC, I don't want him leading the team for the long haul.

Give me Morris from Clemson or Narduzzi from MSU.

Too old to be anything but a interim head coach. Morris would ditch us for a B12 opening in a second.

Looks like UCF wasn't happy that one of their commits was thinking about backing off (and later did). Reminds me of when Paul Johnson through a fit a couple years ago because a commit took an official visit somewhere else and he yanked their offer.

Eh. Can't blame the school for getting tired of being used as a SEC pre-screener program (then constantly criticized that they can't compete with the big boys).

GOL is someone who always honors his commitments and keeps people around and lets them graduate on scholarship as long as they don't fuck up too much. He doesn't kick people out and yank scholarships like a lot of programs do for under performance. Not much to ask for a person to keep their word in return. At the same time, the recruit can do what they want also. Like he said, it worked out for everyone in the end. We have had plenty of people take OVs after being committed. Offers don't get yanked over that. When the recruit basically told UCF he was their backup school at best and was just waiting for a "better" offer, what would you expect the school to do other than move on and find someone that wants to be at UCF?

Edit: We just flipped a 4 star CB from Vandy. So yeah.... it all works out!

andycapps

Eh. Can't blame the school for getting tired of being used as a SEC pre-screener program (then constantly criticized that they can't compete with the big boys).

GOL is someone who always honors his commitments and keeps people around and lets them graduate on scholarship as long as they don't fuck up too much. He doesn't kick people out and yank scholarships like a lot of programs do for under performance. Not much to ask for a person to keep their word in return. At the same time, the recruit can do what they want also. Like he said, it worked out for everyone in the end. We have had plenty of people take OVs after being committed. Offers don't get yanked over that. When the recruit basically told UCF he was their backup school at best and was just waiting for a "better" offer, what would you expect the school to do other than move on and find someone that wants to be at UCF?

Edit: We just flipped a 4 star CB from Vandy. So yeah.... it all works out!
I mean I guess I can't blame him, but pulling the scholarship because a kid takes his last entitled official visits seems extreme. Lot of these kids will never have another opportunity to travel for free like this.

Shows what I get when I trust message boards on a $9.95 site. Richt and Pruitt weren't stuck at Bryce Allen Williams' house after all.

I mean I guess I can't blame him, but pulling the scholarship because a kid takes his last entitled official visits seems extreme. Lot of these kids will never have another opportunity to travel for free like this.

Shows what I get when I trust message boards on a $9.95 site. Richt and Pruitt weren't stuck at Bryce Allen Williams' house after all.

It wasn't about taking the OV. As I said, that happens all the time. It was telling the UCF coaching staff that if UGA offered, he would take the UGA offer. That's what got his scholarship pulled. Not for taking the OV.

cdyhybrid

I must say, our old staff was a little better at Twitter than the new staff. But if the new staff wins games better than the old staff, that's alright :p

Meier

LOL @ this article on Chad Thomas over at CaneSport. I'll selectively quote parts of it:

Miami Booker T. Washington High School 5-star DE Chad Thomas knows one thing for sure: The toughest part of the recruiting process for him.

"The phone ringing off the hook," he says.

"I am," he said. "I'm going to Miami. I'm 1000 percent committed. I'm done."

"So FSU is out of it, right?" the reporter asks as what should have been a meaningless follow-up.

The answer: "I don't know," Thomas says. "I'm still in the recruiting process till signing day."

Next question from the reporter: "So you're 1000 percent committed but you are still considering FSU?"

"That's impossible," Chad says.

"So," the reporter sums up, "You're solid to Miami but considering FSU?"

"That's correct," Chad says.
Gotta love recruiting.

mre

This state is so fucking incompetent at many things, but the special way they suck at dealing with 2 inches of snow is something truly remarkable.

Draxal

This state is so fucking incompetent at many things, but the special way they suck at dealing with 2 inches of snow is something truly remarkable.

When's the last time you've seen snow, all honesty snow isn't the issue. It's the ice that's the killer, and I assume that's creating the havoc. States that are less dense than the north (more roads less drivers is a bad combination, no snow removal teams in place, inexperienced drivers. Had to be expected imho.

And you are in bama now and not Georgia right? Georgia is the one that really has no excuse.

mre

When's the last time you've seen snow, all honesty snow isn't the issue. It's the ice that's the killer, and I assume that's creating the havoc. States that are less dense than the north (more roads less drivers is a bad combination, no snow removal teams in place, inexperienced drivers. Had to be expected imho.

And you are in bama now and not Georgia right? Georgia is the one that really has no excuse.
Oh yeah, it's the ice that's the problem. But when the weather forecast calls for (a) temperatures in the teens and (2) any amount of snow, the government needs to be proactive and start sanding / salting the roads. Instead, they wait until the roads are covered in traffic of people trying to get to their kids or trying to get home, which slows down and complicates the whole process. Sheer incompetence not to have done this Monday night.

andycapps

It wasn't about taking the OV. As I said, that happens all the time. It was telling the UCF coaching staff that if UGA offered, he would take the UGA offer. That's what got his scholarship pulled. Not for taking the OV.

I think it's the same sort of deal as if an employee told his employer that he was quitting, and the employer tells them that they can't quit, they're fired.

tOSU's OC, Tom Harmon, was stuck on I-285 in Atlanta for 19 hours and eventually had to leave his car and walk to the Atlanta airport to make a flight. I'm sure everyone's seen what happened there, but just horrible planning by Atlanta mayor and the Governor. The ice was bad, no doubt, but prepping the roads in advance of it hitting would have been preferable to waiting until everyone was on the roads and then sending your trucks out and having them get stuck in traffic with everyone else.

What mre said above is essentially what I said, didn't see it until after I posted.

mre

I think it's the same sort of deal as if an employee told his employer that he was quitting, and the employer tells them that they can't quit, they're fired.

tOSU's OC, Tom Harmon, was stuck on I-285 in Atlanta for 19 hours and eventually had to leave his car and walk to the Atlanta airport to make a flight. I'm sure everyone's seen what happened there, but just horrible planning by Atlanta mayor and the Governor. The ice was bad, no doubt, but prepping the roads in advance of it hitting would have been preferable to waiting until everyone was on the roads and then sending your trucks out and having them get stuck in traffic with everyone else.
YES. Idiots. Borderline criminal levels of incompetence.

Houston over prepared for the "storm", but its certainly better than the alternative. Temps barely dipped to 30 degrees but even this morning the overpasses were covered in gravel. Was it needed this time? Not really, but better safe than sorry like Atlanta.

andycapps

YES. Idiots. Borderline criminal levels of incompetence.

Agreed. I haven't watched the news enough to see if leadership have actually apologized or if they're still sticking by this line that they were prepared for what happened.

States that don't experience extreme weather conditions regularly all have this problem. I spent time in Texas as a kid and they'd shut down school for a 1/4 inch of snow.

In Southern California whatever Civil engineers designed the majority of streets and neighborhoods didn't consider proper drainage for when it rains.

andycapps

Syracuse's football coach called the fact that Atlanta shut down over 2 inches of snow "#softnosed" and is being taken to task over it. Of course city that regularly gets lake effect snow is going to be better prepared than a city that gets it ever few years. If this same situation happened in San Francisco with the hills they have it would be just as bad, if not worse. That said, the city and state governments did screw it up majorly, there is no excuse for it being as bad as it is.

But I don't think the coach for Syracuse football should be telling anyone that they're soft nosed. His team got beaten 56-0 by Georgia Tech. Your argument is invalid.

Lonestar

Lost in the White Apocalypse, Marlon Humphrey commits to Alabama!

So, both our future CB's will be track runners, making them tiny. Yipee!..wait...noooo

Draxal

Syracuse's football coach called the fact that Atlanta shut down over 2 inches of snow "#softnosed" and is being taken to task over it. Of course city that regularly gets lake effect snow is going to be better prepared than a city that gets it ever few years. If this same situation happened in San Francisco with the hills they have it would be just as bad, if not worse. That said, the city and state governments did screw it up majorly, there is no excuse for it being as bad as it is.

But I don't think the coach for Syracuse football should be telling anyone that they're soft nosed. His team got beaten 56-0 by Georgia Tech. Your argument is invalid.

Atlanta seemed to be a complete disaster by the city, your traffic grid is incredibly taxed, so let's stress it by having schools and business let of their employees and kids at the same time.

Shafer pissed off Clemson pretty badly for something stupid he said, forgot what it was.

Atlanta seemed to be a complete disaster by the city, your traffic grid is incredibly taxed, so let's stress it by having schools and business let of their employees and kids at the same time.

Shafer pissed off Clemson pretty badly for something stupid he said, forgot what it was.

He didn't piss off Clemson. He got pissed at Clemson because they went for it on 4th down in the first half when up 35-7 and mouthed off about it.

Draxal

He didn't piss off Clemson. He got pissed at Clemson because they went for it on 4th down in the first half when up 35-7 and mouthed off about it.

Oh yeah, and Clemson fans were clowning him for it. I mean Cincinnati absolutely destroyed Rutgers (it was 28-7 after the first quarter), yet Tubbs didn't let go of the throttle, and he shouldn't have to. It should be up to our team to force him off it.

cdyhybrid

Supposedly some coaches are resorting to having visits at Waffle Houses due to the weather down south.

There are worse places to have displaced visits, I would think.

It would be more like a job candidate accepting an offer from a new place of employment then letting them know if they get a better offer before they start, they will take that instead.

Given UCF can't negotiate over salary and benefits like an employer would, it only makes sense to move on and find someone else that will truly commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom