• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutgers just had another de-commit

You can't make this up, Number 12.

Lost a kid to Wake Forest.

WAKE FOREST!

This isn't the Jim Grobe WF that made rumblings back in 06.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Max Wittek's transferring from USC, doing the Coker role (immediate transfer having graduated)

Meier

Lost in the White Apocalypse, Marlon Humphrey commits to Alabama!

Great pick-up. Have long said he'd never leave Bama.. don't think we'll get Malachi Dupre either despite the fact he's certainly looked like he'd be an FSU commit for the past year. LSU never loses top kids from Louisiana.

Max Wittek's transferring from USC, doing the Coker role (immediate transfer having graduated)

Feldman suggested UT may be a destination since one of the new assistants worked with him at USC in the past. UT desperately needs QB help so it'd be a smart decision if he makes it.

Lonestar

Great pick-up. Have long said he'd never leave Bama.. don't think we'll get Malachi Dupre either despite the fact he's certainly looked like he'd be an FSU commit for the past year. LSU never loses top kids from Louisiana.

Feldman suggested UT may be a destination since one of the new assistants worked with him at USC in the past. UT desperately needs QB help so it'd be a smart decision if he makes it.

I had more doubt he'd come to Alabama, just because of not wanting to be in the shadow of his Father's time here. It didn't help to have the competition win the most recent National Championship. Thankfully, that asshat Pruitt left as early as he did ;P

Some "insiders" are hearing that Matt Elam (that big DT/NT from Kentucky) decided where to go on Sunday, and is announcing in about 1 1/2 hours. Insiders are saying Alabama. If so, I can see a current commit (OJ Smith) going to Miss State.

People still think we have a shot at Dupre and R. Evans, but I think they're uphill battles to LSU and Auburn.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'll admit, I thought there was no way Tech would even win 5 games this year. Koach Kliff did a pretty good job this year.

btw one of our CB recuits is flipping to baylor so Texas might end up getting Jashawn Johnson to flip from Tech.

Re-quoting as there was an interview yesterday that makes Jah'Shawn Johnson seem pretty committed to Tech. Not quite as worried about him leaving anymore though until his name is signed on the paper I won't be surprised if he does go to UT.

All I'm worried about leaving now (outside of the unknown surprises that happen every year, of course) is JUCO DT Rika Levi, who has made it pretty clear the whole time that he's a soft commit to Tech and it was pretty well known reading between the lines that he was waiting on an Oregon offer. He got the offer this past week and I believe he's visiting Eugene this weekend; I'm expecting him to flip to Oregon though word is that they've got a lot of DT offers right now and they're waiting on some other guys to decide before Levi's offer is truly committable.

Lonestar

BfPlGmMCQAA4r9v.jpg:large

Saban, Dupre, Dat Guy

it's bizarro world to see him there.

Limedust

LSU never loses top kids from Louisiana.

Not as true the last couple of years... this year, in particular. Fournette stayed, but a large majority of the other top recruits have committed out-of-state, and LA is a hot-bed of 5* talent this year.

Lonestar

Not as true the last couple of years... this year, in particular. Fournette stayed, but a large majority of the other top recruits have committed out-of-state, and LA is a hot-bed of 5* talent this year.

Depends on services. 2013, ESPN has Tim Williams as the #1 LA player, who went to Alabama. 247 has him 3rd in the state (1,2 and 4-8 went to LSU). Year before that, Landon Collins was the #1 player in LA (247 and ESPN) and he went to Alabama (as did the #3 player, Denzel Duvall).

Depending on Dupre, LSU might end up with only Fornette from the top 5 in state. Alabama could get 2 if Dupre signs.

Wittek grew up on the East Coast until HS, so him going to somewhere in the ACC or AAC to be closer to family would potentially make sense.

Biggest thing obviously will be going somewhere he can start right away.

Meier

Maybe it's changed in recent years since I don't really follow recruiting as closely as before, but until the point I stopped paying much attention, LSU had never missed out on a kid from LA that they offered.

Dupre is announcing at 10:30 EST on NSD apparently.

Lonestar

Lost in all of this:

Vandy used to have 20 commitments, and a top 25 ranking in the recruiting class.

Now, after losing said 4 star player to UCF, and a 3 star player to Stanford (yes, where Vandy's HC just came from)...

...Vandy now has 9 commitments. Only 247.com has recruiting classes ranked that far, to show that Vandy is now #79th overall, and dead last in the SEC.

Reading an article talking about that 4 star player (Gibson), that, at the time of the article (August 2013), he had offers from:

Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Tennessee

Wonder why he chose UCF.

andycapps

Lost in all of this:

Vandy used to have 20 commitments, and a top 25 ranking in the recruiting class.

Now, after losing said 4 star player to UCF, and a 3 star player to Stanford (yes, where Vandy's HC just came from)...

...Vandy now has 9 commitments. Only 247.com has recruiting classes ranked that far, to show that Vandy is now #79th overall, and dead last in the SEC.

Reading an article talking about that 4 star player (Gibson), that, at the time of the article (August 2013), he had offers from:

Wonder why he chose UCF.

Crazy that they've lost so many. Their numbers will go up but their star rating may not. They're going to have to start pillaging some Conference USA and Sun Belt recruits.

Draxal

Lost in all of this:

Wonder why he chose UCF.

There's offers and commitable offers, even four stars don't always get commitable offers from every school.

Crazy that they've lost so many. Their numbers will go up but their star rating may not. They're going to have to start pillaging some Conference USA and Sun Belt recruits.

Rutgers is trying to do the same, le sigh. Thank god for early enrollees.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
what is the point of an offer if it isn't commitable?

Most often in my experience it's because they were committable when they're initially offered but not committable later, they're just not removed from the recruiting sites. QBs are a good example; a team may have 5 offers out but when one guy commits they shut down QB recruiting though the recruiting services still show them with 5 offers out. Offers often go out so early these days, when players are just juniors or sophomores in high school, that by the time summer camps roll around or everybody gets to see the player during his senior season maybe they just aren't as attractive a recruit anymore so the school loses interest.

Other times it could just be an offer contingent on something else; getting grades up, official visit so the coaches can see you in person, etc.

Draxal

Most often in my experience it's because they were committable when they're initially offered but not committable later, they're just not removed from the recruiting sites. QBs are a good example; a team may have 5 offers out but when one guy commits they shut down QB recruiting though the recruiting services still show them with 5 offers out. Offers often go out so early these days, when players are just juniors or sophomores in high school, that by the time summer camps roll around or everybody gets to see the player during his senior season maybe they just aren't as attractive a recruit anymore so the school loses interest.

Other times it could just be an offer contingent on something else; getting grades up, official visit so the coaches can see you in person, etc.

Pretty much all the reasons listed here. Also, let's say you're trying to recruit a guard, but the one guard you want doesn't want to commit right away, you offer a noncommitable to another guard to put pressure on the first player.

This is kinda like what Rutgers did and it bit them in the ass so hard, Kyle Flood learned the hard way that we're not tOSU and that he's not Urban Meyer.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
what is the point of an offer if it isn't commitable?

What was an offer back in August may not be an offer in January. Classes fill up, roster spots get taken.

Edit: jesus, that will teach me to open a page and let it sit for an hour and a half before replying.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lost in all of this:

Our last scholy is for Trevon Lee, who is deciding between Vandy and Duke on Monday, we like where we stand. Franklin, though, has rufled some feathers at both schools from what I understand.

There's offers and commitable offers, even four stars don't always get commitable offers from every school.

Rutgers is trying to do the same, le sigh. Thank god for early enrollees.
Vandy is bleeding recruits. I don't think this was a situation of a school going back on their word on an offer.

jjasper

So we are switching from Adidas to Nike. Maybe Nike will be able to have the same orange on all the uniforms instead of having three different shades.

andycapps

So we are switching from Adidas to Nike. Maybe Nike will be able to have the same orange on all the uniforms instead of having three different shades.

UGA went through a rebranding with Nike last year on all of their uniforms to standardize fonts, colors and logos. I assume that can happen with Nike but it'll take a while to get it done.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Supposedly Duke is interested in Ronnie Letson, who worked under Cut at Ole Miss. We need a QB coach quick since Spring practice is coming soon.

andycapps

Last official visit weekend, everybody. Today's the day that a lot of commits will flip, only to flip again on NSD and then we'll all yell about what some 18 year old kid might have done before he's taken a single college snap.

cdyhybrid

We just flipped Nate Dogg's son from Zona. 4* CB. Sounds like Dick Rod told him he'd pull his offer if he visited us...and he visited us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom