• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Alabama sadly is following Auburn's footsteps on bringing in players who've been kicked off teams for crimes. First by allowing Pettway back on the team, now bringing in a former UGA TE who was kicked off for drugs

Well, maybe not kicked off, more like "parents dragged him out of school and put him in military school".

Ty Flournoy-Smith now joins the other 7 tight ends on the roster (currently)

I don't know about the drug issues, but I know he got in trouble for filing a police report stating his textbooks were stolen, when he had actually sold them himself. He was about to be kicked out, but I think Richt let him leave on his own because it was less embarrassing. He was buried on the depth chart and I think he saw the writing on the wall.

Ty Flournoy-Smith, a sophomore tight end, will transfer from Georgia, likely to a junior college, with a chance to eventually return to the team.

Head coach Mark Richt informed reporters at a UGA Day in Statesboro of the transfer on Wednesday. According to Dawgs247.com, Richt said Smith was speaking with Georgia Military College, a school where in the past the Bulldogs have had recruits transfer, and then come back to the team. That is a possibility for Flournoy-Smith.

"Possibly, that could happen," Richt said. "With that one, he came to my office and when we were done talking he thought it was in his best interest to transfer out," Richt said. So that's kind of where I'm going to leave it right there."

Limedust

Bama-GAF: Final Pre-NSD Recruiting Update

runtheoption22 said:
•OJ Smith's father claims that he has decided to stick with Alabama and expects an LOI from the Bama staff today. He needs to finish well in the classroom, but it is doable.
•Chris Williams is extremely torn. His family claims he will get an LOI from Bama but distance from home may play a factor. His dad had a stroke when he was younger, and driving distance is now a concern-- which highly favors UCF over T-town. UPDATED: 10:50AM Did flip to UCF
•As was stated yesterday, Chad Thomas is sticking with his Miami commitment.
•Rashaan Evans decision is a lot tougher than many want to think. His father seems to favor CNS and 3-year plan to the league. But, established relationships at AU may be too much to overcome in the end. One source said this was as close as 51/49 AU entering the weekend.
•Malachi Dupre is down to FSU and LSU, with LSU being the heavy favorite.
•Travis Rudolph reached back to our staff while Dupre was visiting FSU. If Dupre gave indication he was heading to FSU, Rudolph would flip to Bama. However, the FSU staff told him they did not expect Dupre.
•Elisha Shaw may sign an LOI with Bama tomorrow. If he does, it will either be to be placed on medical or a greyshirt to see if he can get cleared. As of now, football is a long shot based on the injury. The Bama staff is the only one that has kept in regular contact since being medically DQd.
•Markell Boston wanted a Bama offer and did not get one Monday. So he took the next best SEC offer he had- Barnie.
•Ty Flournoy-Smith is all Kiffin's. He see's him as a matchup nightmare and loves the possibility of he and Howard on the field at the same time.
• Does the staff pull another surprise? A Korren Kirven, Kenny Bell type late flip? We always seem to have one. If not, NSD will be rather quiet....quietly another #1 ranked class.
BigEasyTider said:
Rapidly growing consensus on Dupre is that he has just been playing games in recent weeks, and a lot of that line of thinking was cemented by the Cam Cameron stunt on his UCLA visit (which, incidentally, will likely result in a rule change). Neither 'Bama or FSU expect his signature tomorrow, and you can venture a guess as to what UCLA feels about their chances.

Do keep your eye on Chris Williams, who has been pretty silent since returning from his visit to UCF. Really have no expectation one way or the other on whether or not we receive a signed LOI from him tomorrow. OJ Smith, on the other hand, looks like he is going to stick if you believe everything he and his family have said the past two days.

At this point, barring a surprise, I think Evans is really the only outstanding option on the board. Hope I'm wrong, but my instinct and my prediction is that he signs with Auburn. We will see.

In terms of surprises, what are the odds? I'm thinking very, very low as a whole, and in likelihood we won't see anything. Keep your eyes on Rudolph and Boston in particular, but again I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Meier

Interesting, the publisher of Warchant has Dupre to FSU although the Recruiting guy has him to LSU with a 49% confidence (a toss-up in his eyes). I think it seems like there is some level of confidence. Apparently FSU's track could be the difference.

- From the SI CFB news column:
Joe Mixon used to envision playing for Cal. After all, the top-rated all-purpose running back lives in Oakley, Calif., less than an hour from Berkeley. But that was before the Golden Bears fired Jeff Tedford and replaced him with Sonny Dykes, who went 1-11 last season. On Wednesday, the mercurial Mixon is expected to sign with Oklahoma after committing to the Sooners during last month's U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He changed his mind about the Golden Bears after being told by Dykes that he wasn't going to change their pass-happy attack. "That offense that they're running, it's not going to work," Mixon says. "It was a turnoff. I don't see why they're not going to try something new."
Yikes.

Cal's class is actually shaping up better than I thought it would provided a bunch of guys don't flip tomorrow.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
- From the SI CFB news column:Yikes.

Cal's class is actually shaping up better than I thought it would provided a bunch of guys don't flip tomorrow.

Also from that article -

"Marcus Mariota and Johnny Football were both three star guys. Ooops. You look at Rivals.com and see that only Oregon and Memphis offered Mariota. We all messed that one up."
-- Mississippi State Coach Dan Mullen on the tricky nature of recruiting quarterbacks

Rivals.com dual threat QB rankings that year -

#12 Marcus Mariota
#14 Johnny Manziel

And right in between them - #13 Michael Brewer

: (

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Some of the Texas fanbase will need time to get used to Strong bringing in "system" guys instead of guys that already have national recognition.
Yesterday we landed an OL recruit...

even worse, he's rated 1481th best now!
You're fucking Texas; you can do both.

mre

With a finite # of recruits allowed on a roster, its tough! We need Nick Saban to teach us how he magically creates his wardrobe full of gray shirts for the projects so we can do that without over signing.
This has nothing to do with managing your roster of current players. I'm talking about signing new players. You're Texas. You can sign "system" players who are also "top" recruits. It's not one or the other.

cashman

Banned
Some of the Texas fanbase will need time to get used to Strong bringing in "system" guys instead of guys that already have national recognition.
Yesterday we landed an OL recruit...

even worse, he's rated 1481th best now!

This is more of Wickline thing though. He didn't recruit a lot of blue chippers at Okie lite and did fine. The more worrying thing is the shit load of decommits Texas has been getting after Mack told them to look around. They just two more guys today.

And shit on them because they decided to go to college somewhere else.

And not take into consideration that they might actually be doing what is best for them academically!

Although sadly most D1 football players don't finish their degrees and don't end up going pro in Football.

mre

Looks like UCF/Bama are in a battle for this Williams person. Kind of hilarious.
The kid's dad had a stroke, so he's torn between wanting to go to Bama and wanting to stay closer to home to be near his dad. Can't fault him for either choice.

andycapps

Looks like UCF/Bama are in a battle for this Williams person. Kind of hilarious.
Andrew Williams? Nah, not him. Just looked at his offer list. He was a late offer by UGA so probably a long shot but he took a last minute official and may end up being a surprise there. Clemson, Auburn, and UGA are his top 3.

Lorenzo Carter is reported to have told UF coaches that he won't be going there, so UGA should be a sure thing. That had been the consensus before but you never know until they sign.

mre

Andrew Williams? Nah, not him. Just looked at his offer list. He was a late offer by UGA so probably a long shot but he took a last minute official and may end up being a surprise there. Clemson, Auburn, and UGA are his top 3.

Lorenzo Carter is reported to have told UF coaches that he won't be going there, so UGA should be a sure thing. That had been the consensus before but you never know until they sign.

Chris Williams.

fbQiQSS.jpg

With the #22, he could be a QB, RB, or a WR. I doubt he's running more than 5 feet, so I'm going to go with QB who redefines "statuesque" when in the pocket.
He looks out of breath as hell just standing there.

andycapps

Signing day in full effect right now. Only surprise pickup for UGA so far are Isaiah McKenzie, 4 star CB that UGA only offered 2 days ago. Looks like it was between UGA, VT, ND, and Ole Miss. Runs a 4.5 40 so I wouldn't be shocked to see them put him at kick returner. That's a huge pickup though. He's one of those guys that recruiters describe as dangerous with the ball in his hands, so maybe a Percy Harvin type of player where they just want to get him the ball and see what he can do.

He's a teammate of UGA signee Sony Michel (5 star RB) who is very similar to Keith Marshall, while the other UGA RB signee, Nick Chubb, is more similar to Todd Gurley. Though I do think that from watching Michel's videos, he may have a little more power than Marshall out of highschool.

Update: another signing day surprise. Looks like they got 3* TE Hunter Atkinson, who was previously a Cinci commit. It was a last minute offer from last night. Good size though, 6'6" 250 lbs. Only played two seasons at West Hall HS, looks like his recruiting picked up late. Sounds like he has a ton of talent but will need a year or two of development. He's the second tight end in this class, Jeb Blazevich is the clear #1 guy there as he's the #1 TE prospect in the country (according to rivals).

ag-my001

Come on guys, FOOTBAWW!

Yeah, I got 5 inches of heavy, wet snow on Monday followed by ice last night, so now half of Maryland seems to be without power. One plus is my insistence on gas appliances, so I was able to make some nice pancakes.

How does A&M's recruiting class look like? Last I heard it was top 10, but that can always change and I think we over- signed a bit last year.

KingGondo

Banned
Our biggest remaining target, LB Kenny Young, is down to OSU, LSU, Aggy, and UCLA.

Not sure what time he's announcing, but I think we have a good shot considering he's from Louisiana. He visited twice and seems to have a really strong relationship with our DC Glenn Spencer.

Even without him, it's arguably our best recruiting class ever.

andycapps

Yeah, I got 5 inches of heavy, wet snow on Monday followed by ice last night, so now half of Maryland seems to be without power. One plus is my insistence on gas appliances, so I was able to make some nice pancakes.

How does A&M's recruiting class look like? Last I heard it was top 10, but that can always change and I think we over- signed a bit last year.

About the same here. I think 5-6 inches of snow with maybe 1/4 inch of ice on top. So I'm working from home today.

Looks like Rivals is putting the Aggies at #5, 247 has them at #5 as well. So really good class for them.

Talon

About the same here. I think 5-6 inches of snow with maybe 1/4 inch of ice on top. So I'm working from home today.

Looks like Rivals is putting the Aggies at #5, 247 has them at #5 as well. So really good class for them.
Did you wind up moving to Dallas, Andy?

andycapps

Did you wind up moving to Dallas, Andy?

Nah, still in Columbus. Job in Dallas didn't pan out. Man, if they got 5-6 inches of snow plus ice in Dallas I think it really would cause an apocalypse. Most people stayed home in Columbus today, but the roads are still pretty rough due to the ice. I think they have their hands full with the interstates and the surface streets were still a mess when I had the news on a while ago.

Silkworm

Woo! UF gets Harris from FSU :) Grier and Harris, what a QB combo! This kind of helps offset the disappointment of what looks like UF will be losing Prince to Maryland. At least UF did get Andrew Mike to seemingly soften the blow of missing on Prince, though UF could always end up getting Prince to really overload at the OT position ;-)

jakncoke

Banned
Lloyd Tubman sure is a mover, first to Vandy, followed Franklin up here and gave a soft verbal but now looking elsewhere. Going to stay in state and go to Kentucky?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nah, still in Columbus. Job in Dallas didn't pan out. Man, if they got 5-6 inches of snow plus ice in Dallas I think it really would cause an apocalypse. Most people stayed home in Columbus today, but the roads are still pretty rough due to the ice. I think they have their hands full with the interstates and the surface streets were still a mess when I had the news on a while ago.

Everyone up there is world class drivers, and wouldn't be effected by snow (since that's all that happens when it snows. You drive on snow, not ice)

-----------------------------------

Current signees:
4-star ILB Shaun Dion Hamilton, Carver, AL 6'0" 240 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star QB David Cornwell, Norman, OK 6'5" 240 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star WR Cameron Sims, Monroe, LA 6'4" 200 pounds Highlights
5-star OT Cameron Robinson, West Monroe, LA 6'5" 330 pounds Highlights
4-star DT Jarran Reed - JUCO, East MS CC, MS 6'4" 320 pounds JUCO Highlights
4-star DE DJ Pettway, East MS CC, MS 6'3" 250 pounds JUCO Highlights
5-star CB Tony Brown, Beaumont, TX 6'0" 188 pounds Highlights
5-star SS Laurence "Hootie" Jones, Monroe, LA 6'2" 215 pounds Highlights
4-star DT Johnny Dwight, Rochelle, GA 6'3" 303 pounds Highlights
4-star WR Derek Kief, Cincinnati, OH 6'5" 197 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star Center JC Hassenauer, St Paul, MN 6'3" 292 pounds Highlights
3-star OG Montel McBride, Tampa, FL 6'4" 330 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star Athlete Keith Holcombe, Tuscaloosa, AL 6'3" 210 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star OT Ross Pierschbacher, Cedar Falls, IA 6'4" 290 pounds Junior Highlights
3-star TE Ty Flournoy-Smith - JUCO, Moultrie, GA 6'3" 230 pounds Highlights
5-star DE Da'Shawn Hand, Woodbridge, VA 6'4" 256 pounds Highlights
4-star OC/OG Joshua Casher, Mobile, AL 6'1" 297 pounds Highlights

Da Strong Hand, HellsYisss

Talon

Yeah, exactly, I was about to say.

We just got dumped with about 6 inches in Ann Arbor. Looks like the plows haven't gotten out there yet judging from my short drive.

Swerving in snow is fun...only when you're driving around people that know how to drive in snow.

andycapps

Everyone up there is world class drivers, and wouldn't be effected by snow (since that's all that happens when it snows. You drive on snow, not ice)

I know you're being sarcastic, but people here don't really know how to drive in snow either. They're a little more familiar with it, but it takes one or two people driving too fast to cause their car to flip and stop traffic for everyone. I don't worry about myself on the road, honestly, it's the idiots around me.

Yeah, exactly, I was about to say.

We just got dumped with about 6 inches in Ann Arbor. Looks like the plows haven't gotten out there yet judging from my short drive.

Swerving in snow is fun...only when you're driving around people that know how to drive in snow.

Does Ann Arbor get lake effect snow? I assume it does, but I can't remember. Yeah I don't mind driving in the snow if there's hardly anybody out and I'm not in any hurry. Ice causes me to stay home.

Talon

Does Ann Arbor get lake effect snow? I assume it does, but I can't remember. Yeah I don't mind driving in the snow if there's hardly anybody out and I'm not in any hurry. Ice causes me to stay home.
It's not quite as bad as Chicago, where we get surprised by a foot of snow just 3 days out, but we get a ton dumped on us occasionally out of the blue.

Yeah, snow driving doesn't really bother me - it's fine for the first 36 hours or so before it's compacted into ice. Luckily, these people in the Midwest know what they're doing with plowing and salting, although Ann Arbor is markedly worse than Chicago at actually plowing the side streets. We usually just have slush on the neighborhood streets around here for weeks on end.

The highways are a bit of a mystery, though. They're always completely pristine, but I've never seen signs of pre-treating on the roads. It's like they have some wizard come by and suck up all the snow.

Silkworm

Oh well, what was suspected is now confirmed. Have fun being a Terp, Prince :p If you aren't a Gator, you're Gator bait.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
No big surprises for Tech yet. Got a commitment today from Michael Coley, whose spot was opened up when we lost that DT to U-La-La a couple of days ago. We knew the coaches liked him but the need for a DT was greater than the need for another DB. Guess when we lost the DT we didn't have anybody else at that position in the chamber so we went BPA. Really big DB class for us this year; everybody knew we had a serious depth issue on the DL, specifically at DT, but there is clearly something the staff doesn't like about our DB depth cart. The 4 starters for next year are basically known already and performed pretty well this past season (except for Dee Paul, who had an early season ending injury) so their must be some real issues from the 2nd string and on. Signing 9 guys to play DB, I believe; Some that I know will be DBs aren't listed as DBs on the recruiting sites and at least one guy that will play LB is listed as a DB so it's a tiny bit ambiguous but they're still signing an entire two deep.

We stole JUCO OL Dominique Robertson from Kansas State a week or so ago, but there are some rumblings this morning that he may be signing with KSU after all. Would be a pretty big hit, in a year that we were going after a LOT of JUCO OL he was supposedly the staff's top target all along.

andycapps

It's not quite as bad as Chicago, where we get surprised by a foot of snow just 3 days out, but we get a ton dumped on us occasionally out of the blue.

Yeah, snow driving doesn't really bother me - it's fine for the first 36 hours or so before it's compacted into ice. Luckily, these people in the Midwest know what they're doing with plowing and salting, although Ann Arbor is markedly worse than Chicago at actually plowing the side streets. We usually just have slush on the neighborhood streets around here for weeks on end.

The highways are a bit of a mystery, though. They're always completely pristine, but I've never seen signs of pre-treating on the roads. It's like they have some wizard come by and suck up all the snow.

They're probably clearing the highways before anyone gets up. Columbus could learn from them. They say they clear those first here, though I do give them credit, we have as many road area to clear in Columbus as Cleveland and Cinci combined.

Lamont Galliard's signing is official. He's the kid with Georgia Bulldogs tattooed on his forearms who had flirted with UF some. So it's big that UGA held onto him.

Its literally me and my boss, and thats it on my entire floor. Man up peeps!

Silkworm

Wah wahhh... Kenny Young committed to UCLA.

It'll be interesting to see if his teammate Malachi Dupre follows.

Nope. Malachi confirmed to be LSU bound. SEC dominance, rinse and repeat. ;-)

Besides it's hard to get some players to commit to somewhere other than the state they grew up in. Oh well, despite that, UCLA is having a good recruiting class this year as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom