• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
We stole an OL recruit from Tech.

Glad to see we're still getting guys after Wickline left. Makes me wonder if we haven't already hired someone and just haven't announced it yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
We stole an OL recruit from Tech.

Glad to see we're still getting guys after Wickline left. Makes me wonder if we haven't already hired someone and just haven't announced it yet.

Would have to be Dominique Robertson, as he's the only one that hasn't signed already. Surprised he went to OSU and not KSU, as mentioned in my last post. Our Rivals site is down, our Scout site sucks and our 247 site (all 247 sites, actually) has really bad formatting on the computer I'm on so I can't actually see the news for myself.

::edit::
Nevermind, we just got Dominique Robertson's signature. Now I'm really not sure who you're talking about as all our commits have signed and we weren't waiting on any OL decisions to be made today.

Fuck yes! I love surprise commits!

5B22CCA3-ABDD-4A06-B71C-8F2A028B6754_zpsnhmkdff4.jpg

This guy has a chance to compete for the starting job immediately IMO.
:lol smh

Rivals isn't down.

It's just the Rutgers board for maintenance.

Note: Probably done on purpose. Gotta make sure there's no negativity on the boards! It's all sunshine & rainbows!

Edit: nm. LOOKS LIKE RIVALS IS DOWN!

KingGondo

Banned
Would have to be Dominique Robertson, as he's the only one that hasn't signed already. Surprised he went to OSU and not KSU, as mentioned in my last post. Our Rivals site is down, our Scout site sucks and our 247 site (all 247 sites, actually) has really bad formatting on the computer I'm on so I can't actually see the news for myself.

Nevermind, we just got Dominique Robertson's signature. Now I'm really not sure who you're talking about as all our commits have signed and we weren't waiting on any OL decisions to be made today.
Deionte Noel.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Deionte-Noel-144047

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rivals being down today is lolololol.

Rivals isn't down.

It's just the Rutgers board for maintenance.

Note: Probably done on purpose. Gotta make sure there's no negativity on the boards! It's all sunshine & rainbows!

The Tech site was having some real bad lag and connection issues right before it went down for "maintenance." I know there are a few other sites down as well. You can still access things like recruit pages and commit lists so without doing much looking into the matter I think it must just be the message boards that are down.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Oh, we pretty much dropped him a while back. Asked him to grayshirt (early January IIRC) which is usually code for "you should go ahead and look around." While he hadn't 100% announced that he wasn't going to take the grayshirt (like, say, LJ Collier did when we told him to grayshirt and he decommitted in favor of TCU) we've been assuming that behind the scenes he's been gone for a while now.

Dropped him (as well as OL Mildren Montgomery and the aforementioned Collier) due to qualification issues. Our staff is taking VERY few risks on that sort of thing this season. Only other grayshirt we offered was accepted by a DB who blew out his knee late in this past season and wouldn't contribute at Tech during the 2014 season anyway.

Noel's former high school head coach (from as recently as the 2012 season) is currently on our staff, and we took another player from that same high school this season, so whatever problems he's having are probably pretty real. I wouldn't count on him showing up on campus for you any time soon (though of course OSU has been known to get around that type of thing ; ) )

Blargh, figured with as long as I waited between posts there would have been somebody else between them.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh, we pretty much dropped him a while back. Asked him to grayshirt (early January IIRC) which is usually code for "you should go ahead and look around." While he hadn't 100% announced that he wasn't going to take the grayshirt (like, say, LJ Collier did when we told him to grayshirt and he decommitted in favor of TCU) we've been assuming that behind the scenes he's been gone for a while now.

Dropped him (as well as OL Mildren Montgomery and the aforementioned Collier) due to qualification issues. Our staff is taking VERY few risks on that sort of thing this season. Only other grayshirt we offered was accepted by a DB who blew out his knee late in this past season and wouldn't contribute at Tech during the 2014 season anyway.

Blargh, figured with as long as I waited between posts there would have been somebody else between them.
Thanks. I can always count on you and Pristine for um... thorough explanations.

Limedust

Upstate SCar is clear, but last week was a total mess. Now that the truck is no longer a daily driver, I mounted up commercial traction tires (Duratracs) for off-roading and the occasional nasty weather.

4wd_tyre_wrangler_duratrac.png

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
AU's site put up a profile on Evans (a potential violation of talking about a recruit before he's signed)

I, and everyone else, figured he signed/committed to AU. Complete surprise he's coming to Alabama.

Silkworm

AU's site put up a profile on Evans (a potential violation of talking about a recruit before he's signed)

I, and everyone else, figured he signed/committed to AU. Complete surprise he's coming to Alabama.

It's the Kiffin effect (or not). Who knows what swayed his decision but it is what it is.

Lonestar

Seven 5-stars, 15 4-stars and 14 players in the national top-150.

Need an Alabama version of:

KZIFW.gif

Limedust

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHZAS

Read that there was an official AU bio page created, since it was a "sure thing" he would sign there. It's been deleted.

Seems like we pluck a 5* from AU every year.

2014 - Rashaan Evans (Auburn HS)
2013 - Reuben Foster (Auburn HS)
2012 - T.J. Yeldon
2011 - Cyrus Kouandjio

andycapps

Seven 5-stars, 15 4-stars and 14 players in the national top-150.

Need an Alabama version of:

KZIFW.gif

Must be nice to oversign every year. :jnc

UGA only had room for about 20-22 recruits. The fact that we're in the top 10 at all speaks to the overall ranking of who we have.

Only one we've "lost" has been Kendall Gant to Marshall because he couldn't qualify academically. Some are saying he flipped, but he likely wouldn't have qualified and would have gone to prep school if he'd stayed with us. UGA hinted that way and he went to Marshall.

Just throwing out there that Missouri commit, Tavon Ross, stuck with them despite a somewhat late offer by Georgia. Despite him sticking with Mizzou, I think it speaks to his character that he decided to stick with them because he'd given them his word (they were his first big offer) before the UGA offer (even though it sounded like he wanted to go there in many ways). So yeah, I hope he does well there. Not many kids would stick by their commitment when they get a better offer.
:jnc

Lonestar

Miller, Evans and Hand pass rushing, plus Brown and Humphrey at Corner...that's a giggity giggity defense

jjasper

Awesomely boring national pedophile holiday for us. Time to start the two year count down till we might actually be good again.

QB from USC who announced he was transferring a little while back. Former 4 star, top 100 type guy. Graduates in May so he'll be able to play immediately and has two years of eligibility left.

Pretty good pickup for you guys if it's true. It's not really technically "signing day" related news, though, as he wouldn't be showing up in your 2014 class or anything like that.

I knew that name sounded familiar. Thanks for the info. We definitely need another QB if Ash gets concussed again. I think one more concussion and Ash is done with football.

Lonestar

247's Crystal Ball on R. Evans:

The Crystal Ball
Auburn 96% Alabama 2% Georgia 2%

trollolololol

Alabama done with the class:
4-star ILB Shaun Dion Hamilton, Carver, AL 6'0" 240 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star QB David Cornwell, Norman, OK 6'5" 240 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star WR Cameron Sims, Monroe, LA 6'4" 200 pounds Highlights
5-star OT Cameron Robinson, West Monroe, LA 6'5" 330 pounds Highlights
4-star DT Jarran Reed - JUCO, East MS CC, MS 6'4" 320 pounds JUCO Highlights
4-star DE DJ Pettway, East MS CC, MS 6'3" 250 pounds JUCO Highlights
5-star CB Tony Brown, Beaumont, TX 6'0" 188 pounds Highlights
5-star SS Laurence "Hootie" Jones, Monroe, LA 6'2" 215 pounds Highlights
4-star DT Johnny Dwight, Rochelle, GA 6'3" 303 pounds Highlights
4-star WR Derek Kief, Cincinnati, OH 6'5" 197 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star Center JC Hassenauer, St Paul, MN 6'3" 292 pounds Highlights
3-star OG Montel McBride, Tampa, FL 6'4" 330 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star Athlete Keith Holcombe, Tuscaloosa, AL 6'3" 210 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star OT Ross Pierschbacher, Cedar Falls, IA 6'4" 290 pounds Junior Highlights
3-star TE Ty Flournoy-Smith - JUCO, Moultrie, GA 6'3" 230 pounds Highlights
5-star DE Da'Shawn Hand, Woodbridge, VA 6'4" 256 pounds Highlights
4-star OC/OG Joshua Casher, Mobile, AL 6'1" 297 pounds Highlights
4-star DT Josh Frazier, Springdale, AR 6'3" 310 pounds Highlights
4-star OT Dominick Jackson-JUCO, San Mateo, CA 6'7" 304 pounds Highlights
3-star P JK Scott, Denver, CO 6'5" 185 pounds Junior Highlights
3-star DT/NG OJ Smith, Bossier City, LA 6'2" 320 pounds Highlights
5-star CB Marlon Humphrey, Birmingham, AL 6'1" 175 pounds Junior Highlights
4-star SS/OLB Ronnie Clark, Calera, AL 6'3" 210 pounds Highlights
5-star Athlete Bo Scarbrough, IMG Academy, FL 6'2" 225 pounds Senior Highlights
5-star OLB Christian Miller, Columbia, SC 6'4" 222 pounds Highlights
5-star OLB Rashaan Evans, Auburn, AL 6'3" 230 pounds Junior Highlights

Rivals claims "Best Class Evar"

Limedust

Alabama done with the class:

27 signees, with Coker and Pettway not counting against 25 limit.

Former recruit Elisha Shaw not likely to ever play football again, due to breaking his kneck. Said that he will work with the team in some capacity.

Lonestar

Andrew Gribble ‏@Andrew_Gribble 9m
Bo Scarbrough, who recently transferred to Tuscaloosa County High, said he's still working on academics but expects to qualify.

Bo Scarbrough said he wavered on Alabama commitment in November but his heart was at home. Considered Ole Miss, also FSU

Scarbrough expects to be academically eligible. TCHS coach Lee Gibson said his GPA was in order when Bo transferred from Northridge in Aug

Scarbrough should be considered for Rivals.com recruiter of the year: helped persuade Rashaan Evans, Da'Shawn Hand and others

thefro

Another pretty solid class for Indiana with a lot of defensive help. Nice to be mid-pack in the B1G in the guru rankings instead of close to last.

I think we can go to a bowl next year.

Just noticed the #1 ranked Pocket Passer signed with aggy. Why would the supposed best pocket passer in the nation want to play under Sumlin's offense? If he were the #1 Dual Threat in the country, I could easily see A&M being viable given Manziel's success, but a Pocket Passer would probably be better served playing for a B1G school.

Silkworm

Another pretty solid class for Indiana with a lot of defensive help. Nice to be mid-pack in the B1G in the guru rankings instead of close to last.

I think we can go to a bowl next year.

Let's go fighting Wilsons! Hopefully Hoosiers will manage to improve in their B1G play and win 4 conference games next year (one more than the previous season). Progress is progress. :) At least they ended the season on the right note by beating Purdue.

ag-my001

Just noticed the #1 ranked Pocket Passer signed with aggy. Why would the supposed best pocket passer in the nation want to play under Sumlin's offense? If he were the #1 Dual Threat in the country, I could easily see A&M being viable given Manziel's success, but a Pocket Passer would probably be better served playing for a B1G school.

Case Keenum was a pure pocket passer and did just fine under Sumlin. Manziel's legs were pure bonus. Any QB that can read defenses and deliver the ball quickly could do well.

andycapps

Only recruits that UGA is still waiting on (barring surprises) are Lorenzo Carter and Andrew Williams. Carter is expected to sign at 3:40 on ESPNU and Williams is around 2:15 I think. I think it's between UGA and Auburn for Williams, so I think we can all agree that Williams would be better off with us. Clemson is also a possibility for him. Honestly, I think he'll probably end up at Auburn because we came on so late due to Grantham not wanting him, and then Pruitt really wanting him badly when he came in.

Case Keenum was a pure pocket passer and did just fine under Sumlin. Manziel's legs were pure bonus. Any QB that can read defenses and deliver the ball quickly could do well.

That's true, but unless your OLine drastically improves, its still going to be tough for a Pocket Passer to succeed. Manziel so often turned in a sure TFL into a gain and you won't get that with a pocket passer. Even if he's dead accurate and delivers a quick ball after reading the defense, that may not be enough if the OLine doesn't improve

Silkworm

Whelp, dang, really wanted Adoree at UF (could really use someone with his talent on the offense). :-\ Oh well, great recruiting class for the Gators that meets areas of need for a UF team coming off a 4-8 season. :) At least he's going to USC and not LSU ;-)

Edit: Long shot but it would be funny if UF stole Lorenzo Carter from UGA… but I'm not holding my breath. LC is likely UGA bound.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. I can always count on you and Pristine for um... thorough explanations.

Actually I see now that he had a Rice offer so maybe academics wasn't the problem with him like it was with the other guys. For whatever reason, though, we pretty much let him go a month ago.

I hear you guys are blue-shirting him?

andycapps

Whelp, dang, really wanted Adoree at UF (could really use someone with his talent on the offense). :-\ Oh well, great recruiting class for the Gators that meets areas of need for a UF team coming off a 4-8 season. :) At least he's going to USC and not LSU ;-)

Edit: Long shot but it would be funny if UF stole Lorenzo Carter from UGA… but I'm not holding my breath. LC is likely UGA bound.

Yeah I doubt you guys get Carter, but who knows. 'Crootin is crazy and so are highschoolers. They can say one thing the whole time and change their mind at the last minute because of their dad's church getting rehabbed, or maybe their girlfriend got a free scholarship as well.. You never know.

NM, Andrew Williams is going to Auburn. Not too shocking given we just started recruiting him about a week ago.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So much oversigning. Hopefully some of the underclassmen who might not get much playing time get to go somewhere they can see the field more. Playing at notBama would be better than riding the bench at Bama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom