• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Its a pretty solid class, landed #1 lb in the nation and #2 player overall. Lots of good secondary guys, and some good OL.
That doesn't tell the whole story. To be honest, I'd say you guys had the BEST signing class in the whole country, when adjusted for the signing classes of your conference mates. Seriously, look at this shit:
01 Gumps
02 Corndogs
03 tOSU
04 Noles
05 TAMU
06 War Tigermen
07 Rocky Top
08 UGA
09 Gata
10 Fighting Popes
11 USCw
12 Da U
13 Stanford
14 Boomer Sooner
15 USCe
16 Rebel Bears
17 Tejas
18 Clempson
19 UCLA
20 Michigan
21 Nike U
22 Kentucky
23 ASU
24 Penn State
25 Sparty

26 Baylor
27 VA Tech
28 Oke State
29 UNC
30 Arkansas
31 Arizona
32 UVA
33 Wiscy
34 NC State
35 Nebraska
36 WVU
37 U Dub
38 Mississippi State
39 Mizzou
40 USF
41Texas Tech
42 TCU
43 Maryland
44 Northwestern
45 Pitt
46 Vanderbilt
47 Louisville
48 California
49 Kansas State
50 Syracuse
I mean, damn. Does the rest of your conference even care? Every team in the B1G besides tOSU and Michigan had signing classes ranked below KENTUCKY.

KENTUCKY.

It turned out better than I expected for Cal:
Scout.com: 10. USC; 15. Stanford; 17. Arizona State; 19. UCLA; 22. Oregon; 30. Arizona; 36. Washington; 43. Cal; 48. Oregon State; 59. Washington State; 68, Utah; 72. Colorado.

Rivals.com: 10. USC; 14. Stanford; 18. UCLA; 21. Arizona State; 26. Oregon; 28. Arizona; 36. Washington; 45. Cal; 49. Oregon State; 64. Colorado; 68. Utah; 71. Washington State.

That doesn't tell the whole story. To be honest, I'd say you guys had the BEST signing class in the whole country, when adjusted for the signing classes of your conference mates. Seriously, look at this shit:

I mean, damn. Does the rest of your conference even care? Every team in the B1G besides tOSU and Michigan had signing classes related below KENTUCKY.

KENTUCKY.

Man, would have made it even more sick had McDowell signed with us =/

Slade's not a terrible consolation prize though.

I know it's 2014 signing day, but the #1 OT (ESPN and 247 have him at #4 overall) in the 2015 class committed to Clemson tonight. On to next year!

Subitai

I mean, damn. Does the rest of your conference even care? Every team in the B1G besides tOSU and Michigan had signing classes ranked below KENTUCKY.

KENTUCKY.
Nope, key assistants don't get paid. Money goes to all the extra Olympic sports.

mre

Nope, key assistants don't get paid. Money goes to all the extra Olympic sports.
Is "extra Olympic sports" some sort of code word for "fund for victims of child abuse" that you Nittany Lions are using nowadays?

KENTUCKY.

MSU has a pretty good class, some saying the best Dantonio's had. Lots of DL in this class, so we should continue to turn out great defenses. I think the program took a big step with the rose bowl win, and we're being much more competitive with OSU and UM for recruits, which is huge.

Subitai

Is "extra Olympic sports" some sort of code word for "fund for victims of child abuse" that you Nittany Lions are using nowadays?
Well, I really was referring to all B1G schools, but PSU did recently add ice hockey for both genders. I'm just saying that some of the extra TV money has usually gone to preserving expensive men's sports like soccer, swimming, and volleyball vs giving more funds to paying football assistants. I thought this was general knowledge after Beilema went to Arkansas.

Happy to get the big last push from Sark with those recruits. It was funny having the ESPN people at UCLA for the "bRuinRevolution" only to have all of the big commits go USC's way over the day. It was damn quiet over there.

mre

Well, I really was referring to all B1G schools, but PSU did recently add ice hockey for both genders. I'm just saying that some of the extra TV money has usually gone to preserving expensive men's sports like soccer, swimming, and volleyball vs giving more funds to paying football assistants. I thought this was general knowledge after Beilema went to Arkansas.
Shit, you just said they didn't get paid, like they were working as high-level interns.

Draxal

KENTUCKY.

Fire Flood!

Limedust

Happy to get the big last push from Sark with those recruits. It was funny having the ESPN people at UCLA for the "bRuinRevolution" only to have all of the big commits go USC's way over the day. It was damn quiet over there.
20140205_gav_sv5_012.0_standard_500.0.jpg

#BruinRevolution #WeOwnLA #8Clap #NestorDaGod #JustLikeGymnastics

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So our average class ranking seems to be about 58-60, which is not bad considering the smaller size. There's also the issue where some of our higher ranked players go down in ranking when they commit to Duke. I don't understand that, but it happened to a few.

For the most part though, we have a lot of skill players and athletes in this class, next years will be OL and DL heavy I think.

.@InsideUSC #USC QB Max Wittek is currently talking to #Texas, #OhioState and #Louisville about transferring and playing next season

Don't see how that makes any sense to come here....

andycapps

So our average class ranking seems to be about 58-60, which is not bad considering the smaller size. There's also the issue where some of our higher ranked players go down in ranking when they commit to Duke. I don't understand that, but it happened to a few.

For the most part though, we have a lot of skill players and athletes in this class, next years will be OL and DL heavy I think.

You're not familiar with the Bama Bump, which occurs when a recruit commits to Bama, are you?

Draxal

Is this because you think they'll fire Flood after this season?

Partly, it's more like the administration realized if they want to compete, they have to open up the checkbook.

And to be fair to the administration, they had so many things going against them, that it was kinda forced upon them.

edit.

And oh yeah, Grats on the Hawks win. I don't think your defensive line gets enough credit, as I recall Mebane personally destroying the Giant's oline 2 years ago.

andycapps

UGA filled their last open defensive coaching spot with Mike Ekeler, most recently on USC's staff (not retained by Sarkisian), and previously at Indiana and before that with Nebraska with Bo Pelini. Apparently Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini called Richt and endorsed him. Seems like a good pickup though and it sounds like he'll be a good asset for special teams.

Defensive staff is now:
Jeremy Pruitt - Defensive Coordinator and secondary coach (special teams?)
Tracy Rocker - DL coach and Will Linebacker (special teams?)
Kevin Sherrer - Outside linebackers and star and nickel defensive backs
Mike Ekeler - Inside linebackers (and presumably special teams)

cdyhybrid

Partly, it's more like the administration realized if they want to compete, they have to open up the checkbook.

And to be fair to the administration, they had so many things going against them, that it was kinda forced upon them.

edit.

And oh yeah, Grats on the Hawks win. I don't think your defensive line gets enough credit, as I recall Mebane personally destroying the Giant's oline 2 years ago.

Thanks :p Yeah, Mebane is a beast. DTs usually get no love, though. Our whole line (shit, our whole defense) was just incredible this season.

Apparently DFW got hit with snow today unexpectedly as well. This was one the weathermen didn't predict so an Atlanta like gridlock may be possible during rush hour.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...orida-state-seminoles-plans-play-2-more-years

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher was on the money when he said that the Heisman winner might play two more years of college football.

Winston told The Associated Press on Thursday that's indeed his plan.

The redshirt freshman said he and Fisher -- who said Wednesday while talking about the Seminoles' recruiting class that the QB will be in Tallahassee two more years -- have a good relationship, "so whatever he says most likely is true."

Jameis, don't be crazy. And quit throwing that baseball, your arm is too valuable.

Enfinit

This is really, really random and almost uncertain of knowing, but I was hanging out with a friend tonight and we were discuss a little bit of FSU football. He had this theory that he likely heard from someone else from their sister's cousin's uncle's neighbor that apparently, according to rumors and dirtsheets and what have you, Jeremy Pruitt got the offer from Georgia and accepted it nearly immediately before Jimbo could even provide a counteroffer. The word is he was having an affair with a student and wanted to get out of Dodge as soon as possible before it all went up in smoke.

I'm absolutely not saying this is true or false, but it was a little humorous to hear the rumors that circle around the student body at times.

Not a chance. But that is ok, as long as we win the ACC and get to the playoffs next year.
I have faith that Jameis is going to lead us to our 1,367th College World Series appearance and we'll come out with the big W.

andycapps

This is really, really random and almost uncertain of knowing, but I was hanging out with a friend tonight and we were discuss a little bit of FSU football. He had this theory that he likely heard from someone else from their sister's cousin's uncle's neighbor that apparently, according to rumors and dirtsheets and what have you, Jeremy Pruitt got the offer from Georgia and accepted it nearly immediately before Jimbo could even provide a counteroffer. The word is he was having an affair with a student and wanted to get out of Dodge as soon as possible before it all went up in smoke.

I'm absolutely not saying this is true or false, but it was a little humorous to hear the rumors that circle around the student body at times.

Yeah that was a pervasive rumor at FSU that didn't seem to have any traction when the hire occurred. Like I said then, if he was trying to leave because his fiance' had allegedly told him that she was gone if they didn't leave the school, then UGA won't be any better for him. Tons of pretty coeds.

cashman

Banned
These fuckers are not even keeping it on social media. They're putting up billboards in Dallas and Houston with that shit. This is why A&M was never meant to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom