• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the two walk-on QBs we had for this Spring have decided to quit football.

This means that going into the Fall, if everything in place right now sticks, our entire QB depth chart will be a true sophomore and four true freshman (3 of which are walk-ons).

::edit::
And now a rumor that one of the walk-ons for the Fall didn't get some paperwork in on time for the coaches so he won't be there. Down to three true freshman backups.

andycapps

NCAA passed a rule today allowing colleges to provide unlimited meals to student athletes. Which leads this priceless tweet.

@JaredLorenzen22: I'll tell u what the NCAA really lucked out that I don't have any eligibility left.

Schmitty

In another edition of Shit of Pitt:

Penn State filled 72,000 seats for its Blue and White scrimmage and Pitt cancelled their scrimmage as a result of lack of interest.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
NCAA passed a rule today allowing colleges to provide unlimited meals to student athletes. Which leads this priceless tweet.
Shouldn't he have said that Kentucky is lucky? It's not like the NCAA will be footing the bill for these meals.

andycapps

Shouldn't he have said that Kentucky is lucky? It's not like the NCAA will be footing the bill for these meals.
I don't think anyone ever confused Lorenzen with being smart, but yeah, of course you're right.

And I think this is a no brainer. Chris Conley of UGA is a student athlete representative to the NCAA and he mentioned this is something they've been working on for a while and seems annoyed that Shabazz Napier is getting credit from some in the media.

andycapps

Jeremy Pruitt is not too happy about how his defensive players have played this spring. Could be part of his strategy of tearing them down and then building them up again, but he's clearly not heaping praise on.. well, anyone.

He and Rocker have mentioned they want everyone to lose weight. You will not see 350 lb DT's while he's there. But that's across the board, he wants everyone to lose some weight during this summer and tone up. So, quite a different strategy from Grantham.

He was asked after Tuesday’s practice if there’s a position group that’s in good shape and responded: “I’m thinking tailback.”

That followed along the lines of his halftime on-air interview at the G-Day game when he was asked if anyone is standing out: “That quarterback on the other team is,” Pruitt said.

“I didn’t want to give any awards,” Pruitt said, “but that’s what they’ve been doing here at Georgia, so that’s what we did.”

Linebacker Ramik Wilson and nickel back J.J. Green were among those honored but Pruitt, hired in January after leading Florida State’s defense to the national title, said he didn’t see anybody that particularly stuck out among the 50 or so players he had this spring.

He said he didn’t want it to be like T-ball, where everybody gets a trophy.

Pruitt will offer this on his whole defense: “We’ve made some progress. Are we where we want to be? No. We’re nowhere close to where we want to be. We’ve still got a long ways to go and to me that’s the good news because we can get a whole lot better. We can play with a lot more consistency, we can play with a little bit more mental toughness, we can play with more effort and we can play with more attention to detail. We’ve still got a long ways to go in all those regards.”

squicken

That Jameis story makes me sick. Police and admin absolutely trying to bury the story.

So many things make no sense. The one guy admits to trying to film the sex act in an affidavit, which is illegal, and they never tried to prosecute him. The police didn't investigate b/c they were worried what they might find. That there has been another incident means he might not just be some victim of a misunderstanding

Talon

So many things make no sense. The one guy admits to trying to film the sex act in an affidavit, which is illegal, and they never tried to prosecute him. The police didn't investigate b/c they were worried what they might find. That there has been another incident means he might not just be some victim of a misunderstanding
The "police were incompetent" narrative just simply doesn't fit with the facts. The Detective was criminally negligent in not following up leads and walking on eggshells around Winston.

So fucking gross.

squicken

And my biggest worry is the fan culture we are all part of. The girl DGB beat up didn't want to press charges b/c she was afraid of fan and media reaction. The FSU police threatened Winston's accuser with fan reaction. Once it got out at FSU, victims' groups faced harassment.

Coaches and ADs don't keep their jobs by running clean programs. They are supposed to win and walk the line as far as not making anyone too sick about how the sausage gets made. I hate CFB pretty much every moment they aren't actually playing games

Talon

And my biggest worry is the fan culture we are all part of. The girl DGB beat up didn't want to press charges b/c she was afraid of fan and media reaction. The FSU police threatened Winston's accuser with fan reaction. Once it got out at FSU, victims' groups faced harassment.

Coaches and ADs don't keep their jobs by running clean programs. They are supposed to win and walk the line as far as not making anyone too sick about how the sausage gets made. I hate CFB pretty much every moment they aren't actually playing games
UNC Academic Scandal, sexual assault victim blaming at FSU, Michigan lying about Gibbons "injury" in lieu of a rape scandal, and let's not forget...

MAURICE CLARRETT RUNNING BACK FOR THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES WHO WORE THE #13 AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITIES FOR THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES FOOTBALL TEAM CARRYING THE ROCK AT THE RUNNING BACK POSITION FOR THE BUCKEYES.

KingGondo

Banned
MAURICE CLARRETT RUNNING BACK FOR THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES WHO WORE THE #13 AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITIES FOR THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES FOOTBALL TEAM CARRYING THE ROCK AT THE RUNNING BACK POSITION FOR THE BUCKEYES.
... of The Ohio State University.
*cough*clarett*cough*

jjasper

What's sad is that between the two college football is like 10000000x "cleaner" than college basketball.

Draxal

Yeah, FSU is going to have to do some damage control (hopefully they don't ask Rutgers for their opinion on handling this), but what Ruiz said is true. You can get away with stuff in the South compared to the North (and I consider Pennsyltucky part of the south for this exercise).

squicken

Isn't he like a star pitcher as well for FSU? Tough spot b/c he hasn't been convicted of anything, and the police made sure that the facts will always be unknown.

Conflicted. I saw that article linked on Twitter, read it. The Tallahassee police department and Florida State do not look good, that's for sure. That said, he wasn't charged, isn't going to be charged, so he's still playing. If he is a sexual predator, what do you hope for? That he does it again and gets caught and severely punished? Or that he gets the help he so desperately needs and does not do it again and therefore does not traumatize another person. I think I'll take the latter.

But as a fan, I'm just once again conflicted. I want the team to do well, and Winston is a big part of them doing well. With this seed of doubt, seeing them do well in tandem is just conflicting.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You should want him off the team, or you should want that team to fail.

DGB isn't going to get charged, and he's still been kicked off the team.

mre

So apparently Greg Schiano has been attending Alabama practices. Really not sure how I feel about that.

Draxal

So apparently Greg Schiano has been attending Alabama practices. Really not sure how I feel about that.

Schiano is a brilliant defensive mind, and is good friends with very good head coaches (Meyer/Belicheck).

I'm not happy the way he left (2 days before signing day then poaching every coach from the staff except for Flood), however he is a good college coach, whose biggest vice is that he's an insane micromanager.

mre

Schiano is a brilliant defensive mind, and is good friends with very good head coaches (Meyer/Belicheck).

I'm not happy the way he left (2 days before signing day then poaching every coach from the staff except for Flood), however he is a good college coach, whose biggest vice is that he's an insane micromanager.
OH SO NOW YOU RUTGERS FOLKS LIKE SCHIANO. Too bad it came too late to avoid poisoning my opinion of him.

I don't know for certain that he did it. It doesn't look good, certainly, and there appears to at least be a pattern of the TPD not taking sexual assaults seriously, but there is still a presumption of innocence here.

But yes, if he did it, if the school and team know he did it, absolutely kick him off the team. He doesn't need to be convicted by a court of law for the school to get to the bottom of this, and it certainly does appear they have a legal mandate to do everything they can to ascertain the truth, regardless of what the police and prosecution do.

andycapps

Conflicted. I saw that article linked on Twitter, read it. The Tallahassee police department and Florida State do not look good, that's for sure. That said, he wasn't charged, isn't going to be charged, so he's still playing. If he is a sexual predator, what do you hope for? That he does it again and gets caught and severely punished? Or that he gets the help he so desperately needs and does not do it again and therefore does not traumatize another person. I think I'll take the latter.

But as a fan, I'm just once again conflicted. I want the team to do well, and Winston is a big part of them doing well. With this seed of doubt, seeing them do well in tandem is just conflicting.

I thought you were a Duke fan? Or is this you rooting for conference schools for some reason. ACCACCACC?

Lonestar said:

This. I hope he's kicked off the team and that FSU gets hell for this while he's still on it. I hope the furor is enough to where they don't have any choice. And a real investigation by an outside entity needs to be done on how the school handles these types of complaints, as well as an investigation into how the city handles these complaints and how they investigate them.

I thought you were a Duke fan? Or is this you rooting for conference schools for some reason. ACCACCACC?

The story of how I become a fan of various teams is interesting (to me), but I've been a Florida State football fan since the late 80s, prior to them joining the ACC. At a time when many people around me were starting to jump on the Miami bandwagon in football, I found a counterweight that reminded me a bit of my favorite NFL team, the 49ers (I was an adolescent, so perhaps it was just different shades of the same colors). When they joined the ACC not long thereafter, it was a bonus.

Given that Duke is traditionally useless in football, and Florida State traditionally doesn't worry so much about basketball, there are generally no lasting conflicts in rooting interests.

The rest of it is indeed just ACCACCACC.

andycapps

The story of how I become a fan of various teams is interesting (to me), but I've been a Florida State football fan since the late 80s, prior to them joining the ACC. At a time when many people around me were starting to jump on the Miami bandwagon in football, I found a counterweight that reminded me a bit of my favorite NFL team, the 49ers (perhaps it was just different shades of the same colors). When they joined the ACC, it was a bonus.

Given that Duke is traditionally useless in football, and Florida State traditionally doesn't worry so much about basketball, there are generally no lasting conflicts in rooting interests.

Whatever floats your boat, man. This makes as much sense to me as someone wearing a sports teams hat because they like the colors, but apparently those people are into it so whatever.

That's the worst, BTW.. Seeing someone wearing a hat for your team, so you go up and give them a high five or something because you're into the same team, only to find out that they don't like the team, they just like the hat. THE FUCK?

Tamanon

Banned
The story of how I become a fan of various teams is interesting (to me), but I've been a Florida State football fan since the late 80s, prior to them joining the ACC. At a time when many people around me were starting to jump on the Miami bandwagon in football, I found a counterweight that reminded me a bit of my favorite NFL team, the 49ers (I was an adolescent, so perhaps it was just different shades of the same colors). When they joined the ACC not long thereafter, it was a bonus.

Well, except for the ACC Championship game last year.

Lonestar

Tam, are you on Ultros and in GAF (FFXIV)? Thought you were, but I can never find you on the member list, or player searches.

Whatever floats your boat, man. This makes as much sense to me as someone wearing a sports teams hat because they like the colors, but apparently those people are into it so whatever.

That's the worst, BTW.. Seeing someone wearing a hat for your team, so you go up and give them a high five or something because you're into the same team, only to find out that they don't like the team, they just like the hat. THE FUCK?

That's what you get for touching strangers. Best case scenario for you is you get someone to bark at you.

Well, I guess I'm part hipster, I don't know. But it's not like I just randomly switch allegiances, I've been a fan of my favorite teams for quite a while, most for 25-30 years. It's just that in my formative years, whatever everybody else was doing, I often went the other way in sports. For example, my parents and my brother are Carolina fans. The dominant team on my mom's side of the family is otherwise NC State. The dominant team on my dad's side is Carolina. I pull for Duke.

In football in the Carolinas, certainly pre-Panthers, the area around me was generally split between the Cowboys and Redskins. My dad is a Cowboys fan. In fact, for the longest time, I thought all football players were called Cowboys, and it just struck me as odd when juxtaposed to cowboys you see in film. At any rate, while young, I chose the 49ers, which was indeed color influenced. My favorite color as a kid was red, and when I was 7, the 49ers and the Dolphins were in Super Bowl XIX. The neighbors came over and watched the game with us, we had take out from a burger place that gave away miniaturized football helmets of the teams, and I liked the 49ers helmet better. That preference stuck. It should be noted that I can't stand the Panthers. Same as before, everybody locally is in lock-step unison on them, and it just drives me crazy. (Recall also that I do not like local announcing crews, perhaps you see a pattern.)

In baseball, I pull for the Dodgers and Yankees over the locally preferred Braves. I was a Dodgers fan even in the 80s, but when the Braves got good in the early 90s and all the kids in school started wearing Braves hats, it just drove me nuts. It just drove me further to pulling for other teams.

So yeah, I pull for Florida State. At first, it was helped in part by the crowd going with Miami, and Florida State was their rival. But it stuck and I've been a fan ever since.

Lonestar

Are you playing the PS4 version at all? I always see you on FFXIV on steam, so I was wondering what you thought of the PS4 client.

haven't picked up the PS4 client, but people seem to be ok with it. Think mre might be using it.

I'll get it eventually, just for Vita play.

Tamanon

Banned
Tam, are you on Ultros and in GAF (FFXIV)? Thought you were, but I can never find you on the member list, or player searches.

I have a character there(Alexi Malenkov), but I haven't played in a week or so. Don't think I'm going to continue for now.

Think I'll come back once I get a PS4.

Well, except for the ACC Championship game last year.

Indeed, the one time in 20 years that Duke is relevant, Florida State is going for the MNC, go figure. Oh well, given that Duke has been to I think 4 bowl games in my lifetime (certainly that I recall... '89, '94, '12, '13), I don't think last year's CCG is going to be on oft-recurring problem.

andycapps

Well, I guess I'm part hipster, I don't know. But it's not like I just randomly switch allegiances, I've been a fan of my favorite teams for quite a while, most for 25-30 years. It's just that in my formative years, whatever everybody else was doing, I often went the other way in sports. For example, my parents and my brother are Carolina fans. The dominant team on my mom's side of the family is otherwise NC State. The dominant team on my dad's side is Carolina. I pull for Duke.

In football in the Carolinas, certainly pre-Panthers, the area around me was generally split between the Cowboys and Redskins. My dad is a Cowboys fan. In fact, for the longest time, I thought all football players were called Cowboys, and it just struck me as odd when juxtaposed to cowboys you see in film. At any rate, while young, I chose the 49ers, which was indeed color influenced. My favorite color as a kid was red, and when I was 7, the 49ers and the Dolphins were in Super Bowl XIX. The neighbors came over and watched the game with us, we had take out from a burger place that gave away miniaturized football helmets of the teams, and I liked the 49ers helmet better. That preference stuck. It should be noted that I can't stand the Panthers. Same as before, everybody locally is in lock-step unison on them, and it just drives me crazy. (Recall also that I do not like local announcing crews, perhaps you see a pattern.)

In baseball, I pull for the Dodgers and Yankees over the locally preferred Braves. I was a Dodgers fan even in the 80s, but when the Braves got good in the early 90s and all the kids in school started wearing Braves hats, it just drove me nuts. It just drove me further to pulling for other teams.

So yeah, I pull for Florida State. At first, it was helped in part by the crowd going with Miami, and Florida State was their rival. But it stuck and I've been a fan ever since.

I don't think it's possible to be a sports hipster and be a fan of the Dodgers or Yankees. :jnc But seriously, I get it. No worries. Lot of people in the southeast are Duke basketball fans because their college sucks at basketball. Or UNC, or whatever.

I do indeed like FSU and the 49'ers colors. I'm a Falcons fan, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the 49'ers from growing up watching Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Jerry Rice. What kid didn't like the Cowboys in the 90's though? That was like not liking the Bulls back then.

mre

Do you only play on PS4? Or do you play on PC too? Just wondering how the control scheme translates.

Sorry for derailing the thread! Jameis is a dirty rapist! Ok, much better.
I've played both. Now that I'm used to it, I prefer the ps4 controller. However, it's much easier to customize your hotbar spells and things like that on the PC.

I don't think it's possible to be a sports hipster and be a fan of the Dodgers or Yankees. :jnc But seriously, I get it. No worries.

Point taken. ;)

Although in retrospect, in my formative years, the internet wasn't really a thing and ESPN wasn't a "beat this one story or one sports rivalry into the ground" type of entity. Heck, half the time, I didn't even have cable. It was more about what's everybody else around me doing, why does that tick me off, and who might I pull for instead, often subconsciously.

It doesn't happen often these days, although if being honest with myself, years ago (2002) I was a GameCube owner who randomly one day decided to click into the IGN Boards and came across GameCube General Board. It wasn't very long that I was there that all the local fanatics drove me up the wall with their praising of all things Nintendo and their notable hatred of all things Microsoft. Months later, I decided to buy an Xbox. Fortunately, there were several games I ended up loving on Xbox, so it wasn't just a troll purchase, although (again, if honest) it started out that way on a base level. So yeah, I still get somewhat (perhaps irrationally?) infuriated by mass group-think on topics, which is why I tend to gravitate towards areas where things are more balanced and neutral.

andycapps

Point taken. ;)

Although in retrospect, in my formative years, the internet wasn't really a thing and ESPN wasn't a "beat this one story or one sports rivalry into the ground" type of entity. Heck, half the time, I didn't even have cable. It was more about what's everybody else around me doing, why does that tick me off, and who might I pull for instead, often subconsciously.

It doesn't happen often these days, although if being honest with myself, years ago (2002) I was a GameCube owner who randomly one day decided to click into the IGN Boards and came across GameCube General Board. It wasn't very long that I was there that all the local fanatics drove me up the wall with their praising of all things Nintendo and their notable hatred of all things Microsoft. Months later, I decided to buy an Xbox. Fortunately, there were several games I ended up loving on Xbox, so it wasn't just a troll purchase, although (again, if honest) it started out that way on a base level. So yeah, I still get somewhat (perhaps irrationally?) infuriated by mass group-think on topics, which is why I tend to gravitate towards areas where things are more balanced and neutral.

I don't want to get too far off the CFB trail but I'm curious if you consider yourself mainly a Nintendo fan.

I don't want to get too far off the CFB trail but I'm curious if you consider yourself mainly a Nintendo fan.

No, that was beaten out of me by that same board. ;) That, and my preferences simply evolved.

I didn't grow up with a particular affection for Nintendo games, I didn't even have an SNES as a kid, but after Atari, Nintendo was the brand I played (it's just that I went from NES to not really playing games to Nintendo 64 in college). There were just enough games I liked from Nintendo (1080, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart) plus some others (wrestling, Madden) on Nintendo 64 that I was looking forward to GameCube, and multiple console ownership was a totally foreign concept.

To fast forward through the story, in 2002 and 2003, I started developing a preference for single player games, that preference wasn't particularly satisfied by Nintendo offerings, and I found myself preferring Halo and KOTOR and Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and Final Fantasy X and God of War on the PS2 I also later bought. (The participation on gaming forums obviously made the multi-console concept less foreign and more accepted.)

To fast forward further, my gaming interest peaked during that particular generation, I went on to Xbox 360 (but late, didn't play until holiday 2008) and added a PS3 just last June. Going forward, I'm more than a bit put off by Microsoft (gaming) presently, so PS4 is the frontrunner to be my gaming platform of choice if I ever decide to participate in the new generation of consoles, with multiple console ownership once again retreating to a non-preferred situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom