• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
To illustrate just how checked-out Ga Tech fans are about the upcoming season, this was ACC Spring Game attendance from 2012

FSU (40,631)
Clemson (28,000)
NC State (24,797)
Georgia Tech (18,125)
UNC (17,000)
Miami (10,000)
Virginia (8,500)
Wake Forest (5,500)
Virginia Tech (4,000 ... game ended up being called because of weather)
Maryland (1,000)
BC (200)

Here's what they drew in 2013.

Georgia Tech 5000

To illustrate just how checked-out Ga Tech fans are about the upcoming season, this was ACC Spring Game attendance from 2012

Here's what they drew in 2013.
In 2012 the weather was great, there were musical performances, fireworks, and other activities to go along with the game. In 2013, it rained all night and all activities except the football game were cancelled. If the weather wasn't terrible in 2013 or this year the attendance would have been fine.

andycapps

Nope. Something I have witnessed first hand a few times. I also once witnessed a UGA fan "accidentally" spill a full drink on a Tech fan in front of them. Thankfully they were kicked out of the game. If you ever wonder why GT fans don't attend the game in Athens anymore or why half of the GT season ticket holders sell their UGA tickets on odd years then you have your answer.

I'm not going to defend people being idiots and spilling drinks on opposing fans, so if that happened, then that sucks and that person isn't representative of me or how I talk to opposing fans. I'd be curious to hear Guileless (sp?) reaction from when he went to Athens in 2012. I think I PM'd him shortly afterwards and he had a good time.

I don't doubt that half the GA Tech fans don't go, but I'm guessing it has more to do with them not winning many games in the series for years now. There's also a complex that GA Tech fans seem to have where are so resentful towards UGA fans and so antagonistic, they can't seem to think about the game or the opposing fanbase rationally.

I wonder how many Georgia fans are still buying Tech season tickets so that they can get tickets for just that one game every other year.

Yeah, my sources tell me Tech fans don't even care about beating Georgia, since most of them can't remember it happening anyway.

Ice cold
and true

Hopefully all of them come to Atlanta to watch their little team get embarrassed this year.

I will be watching this game, if it's televised.

NEOPARADIGM said:
I've eaten at Golden Corral.

Thumbs down.

Golden Corral is the worst. The food is horrible and the people that go there camp out there for hours grazing and getting fatter. Wasn't there a expose' or something on a Golden Corral location and showing how many times they reheated the food, rats eating it after hours, etc?

While the fans were generally shitty when I went to the UGA/Clemson game about a decade ago, I would have to say that my experience at GT was far worse. Which is amusing because, really, what does GT have to be boastful about?

I think we went down in 2005 to see Clemson play GT. It was possibly the most pathetic game I've ever seen from two teams (well, second most pathetic. Thanks auburn and msu playing in 2008!) . GT ended up winning 10-9, and as we were leaving, there was a large group of students (maybe about 200?) standing outside the visitor's gate chanting "YOU SUCK" over and over and over. I don't know how you can chant that after winning by a single point, but whatever. We proceeded past this group of assholes and the walk back to our car took us past what I guess was their fraternity row. Naturally, they were heckling us as well. One in particular kept screaming about how we're never going to make any money since we go to Clemson. He said something like "If I didn't want to ever make any money, I would've gone to Clemson" and so I shouted back something along the lines of "And if I never wanted to meet any women, I would've gone to GT." He obviously did not appreciate that comment and ran over and got in my face, continually saying dumb shit like "Do you like money, bro? Huh? Do you like it? Because you're not going to make any at your shitty school." I told him to get fucked and he eventually pissed off. I'd like to think that I make more money than he does now, and that warms my heart.

Anyway, since only about 117 people care about GT football these days, I doubt it even matters to him. But regardless, they have shitty fans. The end.

Enron

Banned
Never been to a Golden Corral. We didn't have one in Athens when I was in school, and I've only ever seen them in the burbs (where I hardly ever am).

andycapps

That sounds about right, I recall the one here getting closed down for health violations.

Figures. I haven't eaten at one in years and have no desire to again.

Richt is saying that even Gurley has to lose weight this summer. He's said in separate interviews that about 80% of the defense has to lose weight this summer, but a few DB's have to put on a few pounds of muscle. Focus has shifted from being big and strong under Grantham, to being more mobile and conditioned to stay on the field against HUNH offenses since you won't have time to sub.

Also, they're not going to promote Gurley for Heisman, will let his stats speak for him. While I agree that it shouldn't be a popularity contest, promoting your athlete does a lot for the school in national recognition and gives your athlete a better chance of winning. If the stats are there, promote him, that's my opinion. This just goes back to our AD being Ebenezer Scrooge.

Coach Mark Richt isn't downplaying RB Todd Gurley's status as a potential Heisman Trophy candidate in 2014. In fact, Richt brought it up with fans in Gainesville, Ga., on Tuesday night, saying "I would believe that preseason most people would put him in the top five for the Heisman race."

Richt hinted UGA wouldn't be launching a Heisman campaign, but he added "I don't think you have to campaign for the Heisman. I think the numbers will speak for themselves. I think his highlights will speak for themselves."

"He's got to get in the condition (this summer) that it takes for him to really be a super-elite back," Richt said. "He is an elite back even if he's a little overweight."

I'll stray from the norm for a moment, and elevate the mood by listing the best places to eat in upstate SC, for anybody passing through:

Del's Twisted Kitchen: Only open for breakfast and lunch. Literally every item on the menu rates a 9 or 10 out of 10. Best Reuben sandwich I have ever eaten.

Irashiai Sushi Pub: Best sushi you'll find in the area. Highly recommend the "Samurai Jack" or "Punky Brewster" with a Sapporo (beer).

Smoke on the Water: Great place for dinner in the downtown Greenville area. It's only a side item to the main courses, but the seasoned beans are an automatic choice for anything I order. Perfect combo of sweetness and heat.

Great Bay Oyster House: Taco parrilla, mexican, seafood, oysters, sushi, tex mex, sushi... you name it. Try the seafood nachos for an appetizer.

Irashai is solid. It's located pretty near to me so I go there on occasion. Prefer it over my other options, especially Red Fin. Though most of my friends swear by Koji for sushi.

Gotta disagree on Smoke on the Water. It's overpriced BBQ. I prefer Henry's Smokehouse, if we're talking Greenville. I'll take Mac's over Smoke as well, though we can debate on that one. Though, really the best BBQ in the Upstate that I've had to date is The Smoking Pig down in Clemson & Williamston.

I need to give Del's a shot.

For me my favorite spots in the Upstate for food would be as follows:

The Lazy Goat - It's a neat fusion mix of Mediterranean, French & Southern.

Breakwater - A go to spot for dates. It's solid southern food.

Larkins on the River - Great Southern style food. A little bit on the pricey side, but it's still awesome. Gotta dress up for this place though.

Pomegranate - Great Mediterranean food.

American Grocery - Obvious choice. Very expensive for the area but it's awesome.

Favorite Bars:

Gringos - A "Mexican" style bar. It's got a great outdoors area. Very chill. You can actually hear a conversation.

Barleys - Tons of pool tables up top. Better scene than the Furman Corner Pocket crowd.

Liberty Tap Room - Close to Fluor Field. Great food selection. Great beer selection.

Trappe Door - Belgian style brews. Best atmosphere by far. Best beer by far. When we meet up, this is where we'll be going.

Ace 8095

While the fans were generally shitty when I went to the UGA/Clemson game about a decade ago, I would have to say that my experience at GT was far worse. Which is amusing because, really, what does GT have to be boastful about?

I think we went down in 2005 to see Clemson play GT. It was possibly the most pathetic game I've ever seen from two teams (well, second most pathetic. Thanks auburn and msu playing in 2008!) . GT ended up winning 10-9, and as we were leaving, there was a large group of students (maybe about 200?) standing outside the visitor's gate chanting "YOU SUCK" over and over and over. I don't know how you can chant that after winning by a single point, but whatever. We proceeded past this group of assholes and the walk back to our car took us past what I guess was their fraternity row. Naturally, they were heckling us as well. One in particular kept screaming about how we're never going to make any money since we go to Clemson. He said something like "If I didn't want to ever make any money, I would've gone to Clemson" and so I shouted back something along the lines of "And if I never wanted to meet any women, I would've gone to GT." He obviously did not appreciate that comment and ran over and got in my face, continually saying dumb shit like "Do you like money, bro? Huh? Do you like it? Because you're not going to make any at your shitty school." I told him to get fucked and he eventually pissed off. I'd like to think that I make more money than he does now, and that warms my heart.

Anyway, since only about 117 people care about GT football these days, I doubt it even matters to him. But regardless, they have shitty fans. The end.
I went to a Georgia Tech fall commencement ceremony and the amount of masturbation that went on about being a Georgia Tech grad was insufferable. I understand a degree from Tech is something to be proud about, but it's a cult like environment that's a bit disturbing from the outside.

Notice the first response from yellowjacket25 about the poor spring game attendance was to insult the quality on my alma mater. Standard behavior for Tech folks.

I went to a Georgia Tech fall commencement ceremony and the amount of masturbation that went on about being a Georgia Tech grad was insufferable. I understand a degree from Tech is something to be proud about, but it's a cult like environment that's a bit disturbing from the outside.

Notice the first response from yellowjacket25 about the poor spring game attendance was to insult the quality on my alma mater. Standard behavior for Tech folks.

To be fair, most commencements are masturbatory so they can make students feel better about going in debt for the rest of their lives.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
bQf66Ae.jpg

cajtIXk.jpg

AzzEBxF.jpg

783IdqX.jpg

D82zvir.jpg

g29MTPm.jpg

You come out of the blue with insults to Tech fans and now you are sad that one fired back at you? Cry me a river you little baby. Don't talk smack if it's going to hurt your feelings later.

That's a nice story.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I had a great time in Athens in 2012. Now it wasn't a charged game atmosphere by any means. The UGA fans never considered for a second losing. I was surprised they were booing their undefeated team when Ole Miss went up 10-0 early.

I didn't talk to a single Tech fan at the Music City Bowl in Dec. The crowds were segregated in the stadium and I saw few out in Nashville. I didn't see any bad behavior.

I enjoy going to away games and attend as many as time and budget will allow. I've never had real problems except for big rivalry games played at night (Baton Rogue and Starkville.) Lots of people do have horror stories though so maybe I've been lucky.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lonestar! You're closing in on GT fan levels of defensiveness. It's ok, we all have racist fans. Yours just got caught on camera.

Well yeah, of course there are. Every human being is racist. I just can't tell in that photo if they are Alabama or not. Doesn't help the guy who posted it is from Columbus, Ohio.

Wonder if there's a team in that city that wears red of some kind...

There's at least one fan, as evidenced by you. Therefore my post checks out.
For the record, I have been to a few GT/Clemson games at Clemson and several in Atlanta and always had a good time with Clemson fans. You guys are alright. Much better than UGA fans. I apologize for the 116 fans who were heckling you.

It's been a number of years, but I was at a Duke football game against Georgia Tech back when Tech was coached by O'Leary and was actually fun to watch. I had the good fortune of sitting in very close proximity to the Georgia Tech section. OK, I was basically in it. More than 117 fans were there in Durham that day, for the record. And as they scored (and they scored often), I got the joy of hearing them sing their fight song. Of course, I'm sure that bit in there about Georgia and where they might spend their free time has since been edited out, since these days they don't worry about the Bulldogs so much.

andycapps

Well yeah, of course there are. Every human being is racist. I just can't tell in that photo if they are Alabama or not. Doesn't help the guy who posted it is from Columbus, Ohio.

Wonder if there's a team in that city that wears red of some kind...

Not that I recognize.

I had a great time in Athens in 2012. Now it wasn't a charged game atmosphere by any means. The UGA fans never considered for a second losing. I was surprised they were booing their undefeated team when Ole Miss went up 10-0 early.

I didn't talk to a single Tech fan at the Music City Bowl in Dec. The crowds were segregated in the stadium and I saw few out in Nashville. I didn't see any bad behavior.

I enjoy going to away games and attend as many as time and budget will allow. I've never had real problems except for big rivalry games played at night (Baton Rogue and Starkville.) Lots of people do have horror stories though so maybe I've been lucky.

Yeah I can imagine it wasn't charged at all. They have a hard enough time getting on their feet during a big game, and Ole Miss wouldn't have been perceived as a threat. Which probably feeds into why they were booing their own team while they were down 10-0, which obviously didn't last, but there were probably a bunch of "Are you kidding me, Bobo?" being yelled by some exasperated fans.

UGA fans are being encouraged to be more active by many in the fanbase and even by Coach Richt, but there are a lot of older fans that have forgotten how crazy they used to be and now look at going to games as a way to just sit there and enjoy the spectacle. I can't tell you how many times I heard people yelling at people in front of them that were standing to sit down so they could see the game. Talk about missing the point. Obviously the student section is typically pretty rowdy, or was when I was there. Nobody sat down except for at halftime.

Charlie Strong is delivering a heaping helping of reality to Texas fans.

We have everything available, and I don't know why we can't be successful," Strong told fans in Fort Worth during the first stop on his bus tour, according to the Austin American-Statesman. "There's no reason for us not to be. Now, I can't tell you how soon it's going to be. Don't hold me to that. Don't say, 'Ooh, coach said next year we'll be in the national ...' We will not be in the national championship game."

cdyhybrid

UGA fans are being encouraged to be more active by many in the fanbase and even by Coach Richt, but there are a lot of older fans that have forgotten how crazy they used to be and now look at going to games as a way to just sit there and enjoy the spectacle. I can't tell you how many times I heard people yelling at people in front of them that were standing to sit down so they could see the game. Talk about missing the point. Obviously the student section is typically pretty rowdy, or was when I was there. Nobody sat down except for at halftime.

This feel. I know this feel.

And then they move the students from between the 20s into the end zone so they can make money. Sigh.

For the record, I have been to a few GT/Clemson games at Clemson and several in Atlanta and always had a good time with Clemson fans. You guys are alright. Much better than UGA fans. I apologize for the 116 fans who were heckling you.

It's ok. If it's any consolation, my trip to College Park for a Clemson/Maryland game was much worse. But I think we all already know how awful Maryland fans are.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

This is why I never plan on sitting on the west side of our stadium. Much less rowdy crowd over there.

I think we went down in 2005 to see Clemson play GT. It was possibly the most pathetic game I've ever seen from two teams (well, second most pathetic. Thanks auburn and msu playing in 2008!)

Clearly you didn't see the 3-12 Texas Tech v TCU game in 2006. Terrible game to watch, and not just because my team lost. Only scoring was 5 field goals, barely over 500 yards total for both teams, very few (if any) big plays, and IIRC it was rainy or overcast or something like that. I think there was only one turnover by both teams combined, if there were any at all, so the score was the result of just general offensive ineptitude.

andycapps

This feel. I know this feel.

This is why I never plan on sitting on the west side of our stadium. Much less rowdy crowd over there.

Good to know I'm not the only one. When I went to the UGA game down in Lexington last year, and will again this year, I stood up the whole time as well as most everyone in our visitor section (which sprawled into the home section).

They're trying to figure out ways to get people to get more involved in the games, and one they'll be experimenting in this year is piping in music between plays or at halftime or something. Most people aren't happy about this, but it seems to be something to appease current students that would rather hear shitty top 40 rap than our awesome marching band. I just don't want us to start playing 7 Nation Army or whatever else South Carolina and Clempson play these days 50 times a game. But honestly, if it gets people pumped up for the whole game, then I'm cool with doing a little bit of it as long as we can keep the traditional band songs alive.

It's zombie nation, damn you! And we've been playing it since 2006 so I'm so very sick of it by now. At least the marching band does a pretty sweet rendition of "All of the Lights" which pumps me up, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom