• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan State and Arizona State to play in 2018 & 2019.

On Tuesday, Hollis continued to improve Michigan State’s nonconference schedule by announcing a home-and-home series with Arizona State beginning in 2018.

The Spartans will kick off the series with Arizona State on Sept. 8, 2018, in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The Sun Devils will make the return trip to Spartan Stadium on Sept. 14, 2019.

“We continue to be aggressive in our approach to nonconference scheduling, as we seek to bring the top programs in college football to our state,” Hollis said.

andycapps

So, it's kinda crazy that Texas A&M wants to add "The House that Johnny Built" to their stadium right?

I mean dude had a good career, but .... a Cotton Bowl win?
He just left. That sort of thing should probably be reserved for someone that's been gone a while.

Keep it in house.

It comes down to this:

Because of the eight-game league schedule, non-primary crossover rivals in the Atlantic and Coastal divisions may only play each other once in an 11-year span. This prompted discussion at the ACC spring meetings about playing other ACC teams as nonconference opponents in future seasons. Some possible future ACC "nonconference" games could pit Miami vs. Syracuse, Duke vs. NC State or Clemson Tigers vs. Virginia Cavaliers.

NC State and Duke are located about 35 miles apart. They played annually from 1924 to 2003, but since the ACC expanded in 2004, the schools have played only three times in the last 10 years. The Wolfpack and Blue Devils are scheduled to play only once (in 2020) in the next 11 years.

As members of the Big East, Miami and Syracuse played 12 consecutive years from 1992-2003. They haven't played since and in different ACC divisions they are scheduled to play only twice (2017 and 2024) in the next 11 years.

The 8 game schedule only won by a vote of 8-6. I don't think the new ACC schools, in particular, are happy about the current divisional arrangement and number of games. For some, it's about being able to play down in Georgia, Florida, and recruit. For others, there's some historical rivalries to try to preserve/rekindle. I think the best outcome for all is to get rid of the divisions, but they'll need NCAA approval for that (to maintain the CCG). Until then, craziness like non-conference games against conference opponents might actually make sense.

andycapps

Not with ASU despite being 9-0 against the B1G at home. Btw, loved it when Georgia came to town a few years ago. Good fans.

What team are you a fan of, I forget. I think Georgia fans are pretty nice too.

Disappointed in that, but after the B1G mandated the Pac10 challenge stuff they had to drop a team off the schedule to shoehorn that shit in.
Yeah, I hated when they did that but it was understandable, I guess. I wish they'd kept it intact until a little closer to see if they could work it out, but they schedule years in advance.

I've heard some rumblings about potential matchups with Texas, Michigan, and Notre Dame. I'd be a fan of any of those matchups happening.

Draxal

Keep it in house.

It comes down to this:

The 8 game schedule only won by a vote of 8-6. I don't think the new ACC schools, in particular, are happy about the current divisional arrangement and number of games. For some, it's about being able to play down in Georgia, Florida, and recruit. For others, there's some historical rivalries to try to preserve/rekindle. I think the best outcome for all is to get rid of the divisions, but they'll need NCAA approval for that (to maintain the CCG). Until then, craziness like non-conference games against conference opponents might actually make sense.

Its the team with instate rivals (Ville/FSU/Clemson/Gtech) against the teams that don't.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
At least the ACC was closer to manning up and going to a 9 game schedule. Think the SEC vote was 13-1 or 12-2...

on a more important topic, people, watch Person of Interest. It's on a HOLYSHIT level of television [/Ishouldgetpaidforthis.xls]

andycapps

At least the ACC was closer to manning up and going to a 9 game schedule. Think the SEC vote was 13-1 or 12-2...

on a more important topic, people, watch Person of Interest. It's on a HOLYSHIT level of television [/Ishouldgetpaidforthis.xls]
It is a really great show. I think I'm a season behind, plus the one that's on now.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Don't listen to this man. Less Person of Interest and more My Little Pony! It's the GAF way!

Tamanon

Banned
PoI is outstanding.

The Americans has been a surprisingly great drama on FX. Close to wrapping up Season 2 now, but it's been Emmy worthy.

KingGondo

Banned
OSU is expected to be docked a day of practice per week for failing to meet minimum APR requirements.

Pretty embarrassing tbh, but I doubt it'll affect the results on the field much. Apparently Gundy keeps a pretty light practice schedule anyways.

OSU is expected to be docked a day of practice per week for failing to meet minimum APR requirements.

Pretty embarrassing tbh, but I doubt it'll affect the results on the field much. Apparently Gundy keeps a pretty light practice schedule anyways.

Your program has long struck me as pretty filthy anyways.

Bng-T3TCYAApgjd.png

Go Pokes

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Was hoping Dartwan Bush (Tech) would find a home, but I guess GM's felt his ability didn't make up for being undersized. Also, he unfortunately pulled his hamstring on Pro Day, which added to his red flags of being injury riddled. At least it sounds like he got his degree

Apparently he had a workout for the Cowboys recently.

cdyhybrid

Cyler Miles reinstated, Demore'ea Stringfellow transferring.

String expected to end up at USC (with the other UW castoffs) or Nebraska.

BYU has been on a few ACC team's recent schedules. Florida State played a home and home in 2009 and 2010, and Virginia played them last year and will play them again this year.

Incidentally, Virginia won that game last year and then went 0-8 in the league.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing there's already been a Texas Tech version of this shirt for years.

Afraid not. This is what happens when they try to do things on their own.

TCU is likely in trouble soon as well. Most recent two years of the four year average are well below 930, while the first two are well above, but those first two will start dropping off as it's a rolling average.

Tech is on the cusp right now as well; The mix of Tuberville in football and the whole Billy Clyde fiasco in basketball have hit us pretty hard. Hopefully the coaching stability we should have in both sports now will help us out in the near future.

andycapps

TCU is likely in trouble soon as well. Most recent two years of the four year average are well below 930, while the first two are well above, but those first two will start dropping off as it's a rolling average.

Tech is on the cusp right now as well; The mix of Tuberville in football and the whole Billy Clyde fiasco in basketball have hit us pretty hard. Hopefully the coaching stability we should have in both sports now will help us out in the near future.

Tech copying OSU at something. That's rich.

Pat White on Derrick Henry's new car: "Still glad I turned down a Corvette to become a Mountaineer." pic.twitter.com/GCSR9LiXZo

Shots fired!

Lonestar

He was a 2 star prospect that was barely recruited by Alabama to be a DB, so...

th

Was it this corvette?

Lonestar

ooh, Juror's been debating for 8 hours on a verdict on Jim Donnan on that Ponzi scheme case. Sounds like they've called back in the lawyers for both sides. So, maybe something will be announced soon. Nevermind, the jury asked the Judge if they can go home and start again tomorrow, and that's what they're doing.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24561055/current-and-former-coaches-testify-in-jim-donnan-fraud-trial

Cincinnati football coach Tommy Tuberville and NC State basketball coach Mark Gottfried were among the notable current and former college coaches to testify on Monday in Jim Donnan's fraud trial.

Donnan is facing 41 counts of federal charges including conspiracy, mail fraud and wire fraud as federal prosecutors attempt to connect the former Georgia football coach to an $80 million Ponzi scheme run through GLC Limited, Inc., a West Virginia-based company that dealt with closeout merchandise.

Other coaches testifying Monday included former Kentucky basketball coach Billy Gillispie as well as former Alabama and Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione. According to the Macon Telegraph, many of the coaches invested more than one million dollars based on their previous relationship with Donnan.

Tuberville testified that Donnan didn't pressure him into anything. Tuberville and his wife ended up investing $1.9 million, although how much he got back or lost wasn't made clear during questioning.

“It wasn't a forceable sell, like, ‘you've gotta put money in this,' ” said Tuberville, who has known Donnan for about 20-25 years. “(Donnan said), ‘Don't take my word for it, call Dennis Franchione and feel him out because he's been in it for awhile.' And that's what I did.”

Franchione said he remains friends with Donnan despite losing more than $1.174 million. They first met when they were assistants at Kansas State in 1978, and they've remained friends ever since.

“I have known Jim a long time, believed in him and trusted Jim,” Franchione said.

Franchione testified that Barry Switzer (the legendary former football head coach) and Tuberville called him to seek information on the deal. Switzer ended up investing, and his son-in-law testified Monday.

NC State basketball coach Mark Gottfried, who was working for ESPN as an analyst at the time of his investment, added that GLC seemed like a sound investment in part because of the other coaches who had already gotten on board.

"That it was a good investment opportunity and that there were a number of other coaches involved, that it was pretty much no risk, and it was a great opportunity to make some money," Gottfried testified.

Donnan's attorney has argued that his client was the "first victim" of ex-partner Gregory Crabtree, the founder of GLC, who has pleaded guilty to one charge of conspiracy and faces five years in prison.

Hope Tubbs lost alot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom