• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former NCAA investigator:

"I think now that I am on this side and we have brought this lawsuit, maybe I realize a little bit more how sort of silly some of the underlying rules are," Nevius said. "At the time I remember having pause to think about that, but now it's even more stark, I guess I would say, that the rules that were the underlying rules that were violated by the student-athletes are a bit silly."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/06/former_ncaa_investigator_tim_n.html#incart_big-photo

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
DA will not pursue drug charges against Baylor receiver Robbie Rhodes -
Waco attorney Jonathan Sibley said Baylor has been drug-testing Rhodes for about seven months and he never tested positive for drug use.

Sibley said he showed those test results to the DA’s office, including a test administered two days before Rhodes was arrested, and convinced them he was not guilty. Rhodes also tested negative after his arrest, Sibley said.

“Robbie didn’t have anything to do with it,” Sibley said. “Baylor runs a clean program, and it helps that they have been testing Robbie because that helped us present evidence to the district attorney to convince them that he had no connection to this drug activity that they accused him of and arrested him for.”

Reyna confirmed that, saying that after his office got the initial report from Waco PD about the charges, “we received additional, uncontroverted evidence supporting Mr. Rhodes’ claim that he had no knowledge of the drugs located in the vehicle he was operating.”

On May 2, Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said Rhodes was pulled over after he didn’t signal a lane change at South 18th Street and Clay Avenue.

The officer smelled marijuana when he approached Rhodes’ car, Swanton said, and found 5.8 grams of marijuana in a baggie under the front seat.

Swanton said the tampering charge was added because Rhodes allegedly tried to hide the drugs.

Seems legit.

Limedust

Rutgers AD promises 'Disney World experience' at football games

"We know we have a ton of work to do," Hermann told fans at a stop on the 'R Big Tour' on Thursday night. "We have to lay this brick-by-brick. It's going to take the entire village. In about a month, we're going to start sending out a ton of information so you will know, first and foremost, what I've been up to for a year and what we're getting ready."

Hermann said one her top priorities is improving the fan experience at games.

"What I can promise you, one of the things we're working on most, is when you come see us at ball games, starting with High Point Solutions Stadium, you have a world-class, Disney World experience," Hermann said. "That's important to us."

The comments section is entertaining.

KingGondo

Banned
Crowded, hot and muggy, everything is way more expensive than it should be and you don't have as much fun as you expected and hoped?
Everything except the hot and muggy part.

It'll be like if Disney World was in New Jersey and only open during the coldest months of the year!

What could be better than that?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Crowded, hot and muggy, everything is way more expensive than it should be and you don't have as much fun as you expected and hoped?
Well, shit. Time to cancel our vacation* next week. :(

*To Rutgers.

tswift would never hurt a fly.

fuck disney. universal shits all over it

except epcot.

Edit: And some upset SEC bloggers over GOL's comments likening the SEC's "take their ball and go home mentality" with the south threatening to secede from the Union prior to the Civil War. Kind of funny.

mre

tswift would never hurt a fly.

fuck disney. universal shits all over it

except epcot.

Edit: And some upset SEC bloggers over GOL's comments likening the SEC's "take their ball and go home mentality" with the south threatening to secede from the Union prior to the Civil War. Kind of funny.
Because it's only the SEC threatening to break away from the "dead weight" conferences?

Because it's only the SEC threatening to break away from the "dead weight" conferences?

I didn't make the comments - he happened to point out only the one conference. And I don't know if GOL knows about the western US. But of course the SEC isn't the only conference to threaten secession if they don't get their way.

mre

I didn't make the comments - he happened to point out only the one conference. And I don't know if GOL knows about the western US. But of course the SEC isn't the only conference to threaten secession if they don't get their way.
I'm just saying, his analogy is completely asinine when you consider that the the reality of the situation with northern, midwestern, southwestern, and western "states" leaving the "Union" as well.

I'm just saying, his analogy is completely asinine when you consider that the the reality of the situation with northern, midwestern, southwestern, and western "states" leaving the "Union" as well.

I think the overall point was just that an entity is going to try to break away because they couldn't get their way. At the basic level that was all he was saying from the sounds of it. Just an analogy that can just as well apply to other conferences and regions.

andycapps

More details came out regarding Tray Matthews' dismissal from UGA. Apparently he got into it with a teacher, but claims he didn't do anything wrong, of course. Claims he was leaving UGA anyway, of course. "You can't fire me! I quit."

Thanks to UGA not having any transfer restrictions he's looking at Alabama and Florida in addition to Auburn and Louisville. I just know he's going to end up at a conference school and this will end up biting us in the ass in a couple years.

In an exclusive interview Wednesday evening with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Matthews admitted to having a loud and distracting conversation with a fellow UGA athlete on the final day of Maymester classes Tuesday, but vehemently denied having disrespected Dr. Ronald Bogue, the professor of his Children’s Literature course. Matthews says he was asked to leave the class of around 30 students but did not.

“We were just going back and forth on something and then the teacher just basically said, ‘Y’all be quiet, y’all are always talking.’ And that’s the only thing that happened,” Matthews said. “And the teacher was just, ‘Get out,’ and I was like, ‘Sorry, he just keeps talking to me. I wasn’t disrespectful to the teacher at all.”

Matthews also disputed a charge made by a fellow classmate in the 3000-level course that he told her to shut up and directed obscenities at her. Dr. Bogue, who will retire from UGA after submitting Maymester grades, could not be immediately reached for comment.

The incident in one of the Miller Learning Center’s many classrooms preceded Richt’s decision to let Matthews go by just a few hours. The disruption occurred toward the end of the nearly three-hour class around 1:45 p.m., and Matthews announced his dismissal on Twitter just minutes short of 5:30 p.m. Matthews blamed the disruption for his dismissal, but said he thought the arrest also played a part in the decision.

“That’s basically the reason why I got kicked off though,” Matthews said of the classroom incident. “That’s what [coach Mark Richt] told me basically. … Yeah, I think it’s kind of some of the arrest stuff, too, though. But I was basically, I was leaving anyways, I just hadn’t put that in the media.”

mre

More details came out regarding Tray Matthews' dismissal from UGA. Apparently he got into it with a teacher, but claims he didn't do anything wrong, of course. Claims he was leaving UGA anyway, of course. "You can't fire me! I quit."

Thanks to UGA not having any transfer restrictions he's looking at Alabama and Florida in addition to Auburn and Louisville. I just know he's going to end up at a conference school and this will end up biting us in the ass in a couple years.
When you kick a kid off your team, you don't get to impose transfer restrictions.

Branduil

Finally.

iwRrVCTbhb2Wc.jpg

Now fix the freakin' stripes.

I'm sure Pristine will be back with us once the season gets going in a few months. He'll get the itch to discuss CFB, and there's truly no better CFB community out there than this one.

Don't see the problem with her comment about the Disneyworld experience.

They are considered to be a company with good customer service. That's what she wants to create at Rutgers.

Hating on the metaphor is just picking on an easy target, and being deliberately misleading. Julie could say she had a good day at work, and it would become national news at this point and people would be saying, "Oh my god! Julie Hermann had a good day at work! How about those reporters she mocked who don't have jobs now?!??!!"

Georgia Tech should call George O'Leary and offer him his old job back tomorrow.

Make that right now.
He didn't have a great relationship with the administration at GT, he complained a lot, and it was mostly his fault that 10 of our players flunked out of school not long after he left. I think his time at GT was coming to an end even if he never left for ND. I doubt he would ever be welcomed back. A fine football coach, just maybe not a great fit for GT in the long run.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
2 Long articles on "oooh boy, the NCAA is in a tight spot"

Trial Arguments for both the O'Bannon side and the NCAA side

The NCAA's experts will present empirical analyses showing that revenue and spending are not strongly correlated with success and that, instead, non-monetary factors play a large role.

It is basic economics that allowing cash payments for (likenesses) for the first time will tilt the distribution of talent and success towards colleges and universities with more cash to spend.

The Point (that the best players would go to the schools that pay more) is correct, except that it's pretty much already happening.

Former UNC Basketball Player Rashad McCants on the fact that he and other athletes barely do anything involving academics

"I thought it was a part of the college experience, just like watching it on a movie from 'He Got Game' or 'Blue Chips,'" McCants said. "... when you get to college, you don't go to class, you don't do nothing, you just show up and play. That's exactly how it was, you know, and I think that was the tradition of college basketball, or college, period, any sport. You're not there to get an education, though they tell you that.

"You're there to make revenue for the college. You're there to put fans in the seats. You're there to bring prestige to the university by winning games."

In case you didn't know, the actual O'Bannon vs NCAA trial will start on June 9th.

Article on what might happen if O'Bannon wins

mre

from Lonestar's article said:
There's a chance this could all be negated if Title IX disallows it, though there's reason to believe players being offered different amounts of compensation above a scholarship would not invoke Title IX.
Well, what's the reason?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh, true, where IS the reason?

Title IX implications is what I'm really interested in. Like 2 PC fights butting up against each other. Which bit of Social Engineering is going to win!

Limedust

Don't see the problem with her comment about the Disneyworld experience.

They are considered to be a company with good customer service. That's what she wants to create at Rutgers.

Hating on the metaphor is just picking on an easy target, and being deliberately misleading. Julie could say she had a good day at work, and it would become national news at this point and people would be saying, "Oh my god! Julie Hermann had a good day at work! How about those reporters she mocked who don't have jobs now?!??!!"

Slow news day... and the comments section was a fun read.

I think the NCAA and schools would have had an easier time if they allowed athletes to enter into licensing deals.

Yeah. Of course the NCAA would say that still compromises amateur status. Why not allow players to sign licensing and endorsement deals, but every cent earned is put into a separate bank account that can't be withdrawn from until after the athlete leaves college.

Yeah. Of course the NCAA would say that still compromises amateur status. Why not allow players to sign licensing and endorsement deals, but every cent earned is put into a separate bank account that can't be withdrawn from until after the athlete leaves college.

I think this is fair...I could also see there being some loophole that could be allowed like you can sign endorsement deals as long as they don't mention you as a football player or if the product is not related in some way to football even if it's *wink wink* acknowledging it...like Lebron in McDonalds commercials.

Man, you were way more fun when you were a fake UCLA fan.

Rutgers athletics has just been one hit after the other lately with zero bright spots. It's like being a Cal Bear fan without having at least one sport to hang your hat on.

Tell me how you feel, when people in the real world that you don't even know start mocking your school and your education because of these scandals.

"Hurr durr! Mike Rice threw basketballs at players and your AD is a retard! Should have gone to Clemson."

No, I should not have gone to Clemson. Clemson is a pretty school. It's full of hot co-eds. I'm sure it offers a fine education to its graduates. However, other than U.S. News, everyone else recognizes that Rutgers is the better school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom