• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 10: The Florida Georgia Line

OHlhrp5.gif

OHlhrp5.gif

OHlhrp5.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mich State and Ohio State fans must be having the time of their lives watching post Lloyd Carr Michigan just be one cluster fuck after another.

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by xx
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 3
Northwestern @ Iowa by 3
Maryland @ Penn State by 3
NC State @ Syracuse by 12
TCU @ West Virginia by 21
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 4
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 14
Texas @ Texas Tech by 4
Arizona @ UCLA by 14
Utah @ Arizona State by 10

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not trying to be mean, but those are awful.

If OSU ever becomes a UA school I'm discontinuing my season tickets.

Surprised at the level of disgust. Thought they were pretty tame, all things considered, unlike the more out-there road uniforms we wore in Stillwater.

I like that they are primarily black and all the Texas flag stuff is pretty much just accompanying detail.

ryseing

This has to be like Christmas and birthdays combined for Michigan fans. Congrads on getting rid of one of the worst ADs I've ever had the pleasure of watching work.

I don't know who's happier around here, Michigan fans or Ohio State fans, as it seems like some of the most vocal Brandon detractors lately have been Buckeyes.

So here's to Michigan's new AD and coach smoking Ohio State for the next decade.

Hail to the victors valiant.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Anybody here have any recommendations for places to eat in Manhattan? My wife and I are there for the next week.

How much do you want to spend?

I can get you good recommendations at anywhere from 50 bucks up to 1000 for two.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Any truth to the rumor that Brandon is stepping down so that Hoke can transition to the AD role?

StoOgE

Super OT, but here we go:

General Advice: If you've heard of it (Cronuts, Magnolia, etc) it's probably a bad idea. Long lines, food usually stops being good a few months after opening because of volumes they have to produce.

Pizza - Grimaldi's is good stuff, but the line isn't worth it. John's on Bleeker is good stuff and is in the city so it's less of a hassle to get to. Most of the good stuff is in BK and not the super cool parts.

Southern - It's gone downhill a bit, but Jacob's Pickles in the UWS is good stuff. It's in my hood and we make it there reasonably often.

B. Café - Belgian. Muscles and Frites is amazing. They have a few locations

Mermaid Inn - Good seafood, good atmosphere, they have 2-3 locations around the city. Good Cocktails.

The Dutch - My go to "nice but not insane nice" place. May be hard to pick up reservations now because it's pretty popular. About 200 with drinks for two. Mind you, you are paying NYC prices. So this is unfortunately "not insane nice"

Parm - Great Italian, good atmosphere

Alder - Wylie Dufryse new joint since WD40 closed. Molecular Gastronomy stuff. I ate a Christmas tree once.

Keens Steakhouse - This is the classiest old school steak house in the city. Anyone who sends you to a tourist trap in Brooklyn doesn't know.

Eleven Madison - Suplanted Per Se as my go to insanely expensive eatery. Went here last week for my anniversary. About 750 for two with drinks.

Le Bernadin and Jean George - My go to "second tier" insanely expensive eatieres. You can get out for 400 or so if you don't do the tasting menu.

Drinks -

Classic NYC Cocktail - Monkey Bar, it's like Bemmelmen's without the cover and you don't have to listen to Woody Allen play clarinet. They typically have a nice piano playing standards on the weekends. I have a well worn path here. It's also near 5th avenue shopping (and my church, which makes it easy to pop over to if I go to evensong)

Speak Easy - I like the Little Branch and Dead Rabbit (go upstairs at the Dead Rabbit, not the bar at street level). There are a ton of good ones, Death & Co is my favorite cocktail, but hard to get into. PDT is "over" but the drinks are still good. There is a really good one in Long Island City whose name I always forget.

andycapps

Keens Steakhouse - This is the classiest old school steak house in the city. Anyone who sends you to a tourist trap in Brooklyn doesn't know.

I almost went here when I was visiting with friends. I got outvoted and they wanted to go to some shitty, overpriced BBQ place near Times Square. Ugh. They thought Keens was too expensive, so we go get BBQ and I think it was about $30 a plate, and it was the worst BBQ I've ever had.

StoOgE

I almost went here when I was visiting with friends. I got outvoted and they wanted to go to some shitty, overpriced BBQ place near Times Square. Ugh. They thought Keens was too expensive, so we go get BBQ and I think it was about $30 a plate, and it was the worst BBQ I've ever had. Was trying not bring everybody down, but I've had better BBQ at gas stations in the south.

Oh god, Texas game watching used to take place at Hill Country NYC and it was the worst shitty Texas crap ever.

They had OK sausage BC they bought it from Kreutz's in Texas.

Everything else was just bad.

Now we don't have anywhere to watch games BC all 4 of our game watching bars booted us because they couldn't get the longhorn network and attendance dropped like a rock.

andycapps

Oh god, Texas game watching used to take place at Hill Country NYC and it was the worst shitty Texas crap ever.

They had OK sausage BC they bought it from Kreutz's in Texas.

Everything else was just bad.

Now we don't have anywhere to watch games BC all 4 of our game watching bars booted us because they couldn't get the longhorn network and attendance dropped like a rock.

Honestly, I think NYC has to be a horrible place to try to find good BBQ. I'm sure it exists at some hole in a wall place, because NYC has everything. but still. I think those bars were helping you out by not letting you watch the Texas games this year. :)

Draxal

Honestly, I think NYC has to be a horrible place to try to find good BBQ. I'm sure it exists at some hole in a wall place, because NYC has everything. but still. I think those bars were helping you out by not letting you watch the Texas games this year. :)

You won't find good southern smoked bbq, but you'll find other national styles (rodizio, korean etc).

Enfinit

You won't find good southern smoked bbq, but you'll find other national styles (rodizio, korean etc).

New York doesn't have good southern-style BBQ (talkin' Memphis/Carolina/Texas kinda BBQ) that I know of. Not in the city, at least. There are some decent BBQ joints off Long Island though.

KingGondo

Banned
Surprised at the level of disgust. Thought they were pretty tame, all things considered, unlike the more out-there road uniforms we wore in Stillwater.

I like that they are primarily black and all the Texas flag stuff is pretty much just accompanying detail.
I just think it's kinda sad that they're trying to brand themselves as "The Team of Texas" when I'm not even sure TTU fans think of them that way.

andycapps

Korean BBQ is really good, but that's disappointing to hear. Then again, if I go to NYC to visit, it's not to look for BBQ.

New York doesn't have good southern-style BBQ (talkin' Memphis/Carolina/Texas kinda BBQ) that I know of. Not in the city, at least. There are some decent BBQ joints off Long Island though.

For me, the only kind that exists is Memphis/Carolina style. I do still enjoy brisket and Texas style, but KC style is much too sweet. I prefer my BBQ more savory or even spicy, but sweet is awful.

Enfinit

For me, the only kind that exists is Memphis/Carolina style. I do still enjoy brisket and Texas style, but KC style is much too sweet. I prefer my BBQ more savory or even spicy, but sweet is awful.
Everyone knows Memphis and Carolina BBQ are the only two that matter.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I just think it's kinda sad that they're trying to brand themselves as "The Team of Texas" when I'm not even sure TTU fans think of them that way.

You must not know many Texans. Whether we think we're "The X of Texas" or not we look for every available opportunity to throw the flag or state outline on something.

andycapps

Everyone knows Memphis and Carolina BBQ are the only two that matter.

Mostly true.

I guess the incest affects your taste buds down in sec land.

You have to give the best meat on earth, aka pork, it's proper place in the BBQ hierarchy.. The top. Whole hog is really the way to go, but pulled pork is pretty great and ribs are always good too. Brisket is something I'd never really had that much while I lived in the south, but it's pretty damn good. I've made it myself once and it turned out really well. It's just so expensive anywhere that's not Texas.

inm8num2

https://twitter.com/reporterdavidj/status/528238671729016834

David Jesse @reporterdavidj

This morning I accepted the resignation of Dave Brandon as athletic director.
B1SuReEIgAAS-XR.jpg

Also, the interim AD is a certified Michigan Man.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-hackett-ex-um-player-steelcase-ceo/18246403/

The man expected to be chosen to replace Dave Brandon on an interim basis as the University of Michigan’s athletic director is a former UM football player with a long career as a corporate executive.

James Hackett, who played for legendary Wolverines coach Bo Schembechler in the 1970s, spent 19 years as CEO of Steelcase, a Grand Rapids-based maker of office furniture, retiring earlier this year. He is serving a one-year stint as vice chairman and remains a board member.

Draxal

Korean BBQ is really good, but that's disappointing to hear. Then again, if I go to NYC to visit, it's not to look for BBQ.

Truth be told, I don't it think its worst thing in the world since there's so much good bbq in the south. Why go to NYC for what you can get at home?

Ideally, you would want to go the NYC for the top end stuff (stuff like Perse, Le Bernadin, Daniel and Eleven Madison Park), or one of the better Ramen places, stuff that you really couldn't get at home.

edit. I do think Stooge is too harsh on Peter Luger's, place is legit.

Top Bottom