• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 10: The Florida Georgia Line

andycapps

Sauce is for heathens.

I pretty much agree with you. The sauce for me is just a little added taste, shouldn't overwhelm the meat. If it's good BBQ, you really shouldn't need any sauce. Number 1 rule of a BBQ place for me is that they should never put the sauce on there for you. I want to taste it first by itself and see if it's worth a damn. Then I add as much as I want, which is barely any.

I make my own at home. I'm not even sure how to describe it, I just throw stuff in a saucepan and keep adding and cooking it until it's good. Then I refrigerate it. Ingredients are ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, apple cider vinegar. I guess it's pretty much a Carolina style, I just don't follow a recipe.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
edit. I do think Stooge is too harsh on Peter Luger's, place is legit.

The food is fine, their "ambiance" and the idiocy surrounding getting said food to my plate is not worth it.

Not with Keens in Manhattan making better steaks.

inm8num2

Not bad.

SHrf6f3.jpg
JK28llW.jpg

Reposting my picks since I posted them during halftime of the damn FSU/Louisville game.

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

Dammit I'm late this week. Oh well, I was going to pick FSU anyway so it'll be 0 points either way. FUUUUUUUUCK. [EDIT: Turns out not. I may have lost a point in the pick 'em but at least the Noles won. Fuck you, Louisville and welcome to the ACC. You are so much fucking better than Maryland and that's awesome.]

(THU) My Liver @ The 2014 Seminoles by all the beer
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 12
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 6
NC State @ Syracuse by 7
TCU @ West Virginia by 6
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4 Please please please
Stanford @ Oregon by 17
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 6
Texas @ Texas Tech by 4 I'll probably regret this
Arizona @ UCLA by 7
Utah @ Arizona State by 4

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Florida and Georgia are wearing their homecolors this weekend.

Hate that Alabama/Tennessee never got around to do this when it was mentioned a few years ago.

Florida and Georgia are wearing their homecolors this weekend.

Hate that Alabama/Tennessee never got around to do this when it was mentioned a few years ago.

They did this in the ACC Championship game last year (FSU in garnet, Duke in blue) and it was awesome. I think this should be the rule for all neutral site games, including bowls, whenever possible. So basically, as long as the two schools don't wear the same colors, it should be done.

They did this in the ACC Championship game last year (FSU in garnet, Duke in blue) and it was awesome. I think this should be the rule for all neutral site games, including bowls, whenever possible. So basically, as long as the two schools don't wear the same colors, it should be done.

For maximum hilarity, even if it's the same color.

Make the Who-Cares-dot-com Bowl "must see TV."

Dave Brandon has to be the most epic fuckup of an A.D. in college sports history.

No doubt there have been plenty of fuckup college ADs in this country, but goddamn, what an epic fuckup.

Dave Brandon has to be the most epic fuckup of an A.D. in college sports history.

No doubt there have been plenty of fuckup college ADs in this country, but goddamn, what an epic fuckup.

The leaked emails are just epic. How could somebody be so stupid as to repeatedly blast his alumni base with rude comments and not expect it to leak at some point? Oh right, because he's a baby boomer and they don't understand the Internet.

The only two Michigan regents who opposed Brandon's ouster were the board's only two Republicans.

I love that he's completely fucked up his political career. He'll never win a statewide office in Michigan. Ever. Not a chance.

The line for the Texas @ Tech game finally released and its Texas -5. I guess Vegas now knows who Tech is starting at QB.
Believe it or not, Texas has won every game they were favored in this year. Texas was a +1.5 point dog to BYU for those who thought we may have been favored in that matchup.
edit: Some sites had BYU at +1.0, so maybe it was a push

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by X
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 7
Northwestern @ Iowa by 10
Maryland @ Penn State by 7
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 4
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 10
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 7
Texas @ Texas Tech by 4
Arizona @ UCLA by 10
Utah @ Arizona State by 7

That's the dude that poisoned the trees? I kind of figured (hoped) it was some undergrad. It would be sad either way, though. Good grief, people, this is just sports. :/

I had to block my first person on Twitter last night, as a matter of fact. A Florida State fan, even. I think I posted in the thread the same thought as on Twitter, "Florida State is lucky to only be down 100" (obvious hyperbole) when they were trailing 24-7. Dude came in with personal attacks, and I didn't even know him. I'm like "Calm down, bro, they're just not playing well." And he comes back again... blocked. It's just sports, and this, in particular, is just college sports played by people barely old enough to shave. If you're old enough to be their fathers (or grandfathers!), you ought not to take it so seriously, just simply enjoy it and celebrate it for what it is.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Super OT, but here we go:

General Advice: If you've heard of it (Cronuts, Magnolia, etc) it's probably a bad idea. Long lines, food usually stops being good a few months after opening because of volumes they have to produce.

Pizza - Grimaldi's is good stuff, but the line isn't worth it. John's on Bleeker is good stuff and is in the city so it's less of a hassle to get to. Most of the good stuff is in BK and not the super cool parts.

Southern - It's gone downhill a bit, but Jacob's Pickles in the UWS is good stuff. It's in my hood and we make it there reasonably often.

B. Café - Belgian. Muscles and Frites is amazing. They have a few locations

Mermaid Inn - Good seafood, good atmosphere, they have 2-3 locations around the city. Good Cocktails.

The Dutch - My go to "nice but not insane nice" place. May be hard to pick up reservations now because it's pretty popular. About 200 with drinks for two. Mind you, you are paying NYC prices. So this is unfortunately "not insane nice"

Parm - Great Italian, good atmosphere

Alder - Wylie Dufryse new joint since WD40 closed. Molecular Gastronomy stuff. I ate a Christmas tree once.

Keens Steakhouse - This is the classiest old school steak house in the city. Anyone who sends you to a tourist trap in Brooklyn doesn't know.

Eleven Madison - Suplanted Per Se as my go to insanely expensive eatery. Went here last week for my anniversary. About 750 for two with drinks.

Le Bernadin and Jean George - My go to "second tier" insanely expensive eatieres. You can get out for 400 or so if you don't do the tasting menu.

Drinks -

Classic NYC Cocktail - Monkey Bar, it's like Bemmelmen's without the cover and you don't have to listen to Woody Allen play clarinet. They typically have a nice piano playing standards on the weekends. I have a well worn path here. It's also near 5th avenue shopping (and my church, which makes it easy to pop over to if I go to evensong)

Speak Easy - I like the Little Branch and Dead Rabbit (go upstairs at the Dead Rabbit, not the bar at street level). There are a ton of good ones, Death & Co is my favorite cocktail, but hard to get into. PDT is "over" but the drinks are still good. There is a really good one in Long Island City whose name I always forget.

Thanks so much!

We are staying in Hells kitchen at 9th and 53rd.

We are going to probably have one nice dinner, which for us would be in the $150-200 range for both of us.

I was just sort of looking for general recommendations, though we love Korean (bibimbap is God tier), Ramen, Chinese, American, basically everything. We will definitely look for some good pizza also.

Seems crazy that the blame is being left at his feet instead of Hoke.

Only the most deluded people thought the Hoke hire was good in the first place. I also think a lot of the ill will towards Brandon had to do with the way he tried to market football. Also it's not like Hoke is going to survive this regime change anyway.

inm8num2

Hoke didn't write emails to Michigan fans telling them to 'stop drinking' or 'find another team to support'. Pressure was mounting, but I'm guessing once those emails surfaced the Michigan Board decided Brandon had to go sooner rather than later.

Talon

Did you see the emails he wrote back? He sounded like a childish prick - not exactly who you want representing the entire athletic department.

That said, he apparently did a lot for non-revenue sports despite his fuckery with football, and the basketball program has definitely grown substantially.

Anyways, I take more amusement from the death of his political ambitions.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Unless you hire another shitty AD. Then it's just more of the same shit.

Hoke didn't write emails to Michigan fans telling them to 'stop drinking' or 'find another team to support'. Pressure was mounting, but I'm guessing once those emails surfaced the Michigan Board decided Brandon had to go sooner rather than later.

Oh no he had to go, it just seems like this has taken the heat off of Hoke.

Talon

Not really. Hoke's a dead man walking.

The real joke here is that they'll probably wind up hiring Jeff Long - was previous an administrator at U of M - and Brett Bielama.

inm8num2

Perhaps in the short term, but people have already given up on Hoke. He seems to be a lame duck, and Michigan probably wanted to focus on hiring a new AD before moving onto finding a new football coach.

Talon

Like Feldman and Mandel have observed, Michigan's accelerating the process by getting a jump start on an AD, so they're ready to pull the trigger on a new HC as soon as the season's over.

Saturdays picks
Duke by 15
Iowa by 8
Maryland by 14
NC State by 7
TCU by 9
Auburn by 5
Oregon by 25
South Carolina by 17
Texas Tech by 18
UCLA by 7
Utah by 4

Jhriad

Duke @ Pittsburgh by 10
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 4 Might change this one tomorrow morning. Curious as to the health of a few Maryland players.
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 4
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 11
Texas @ Texas Tech by 4
Arizona @ UCLA by 4

Duke @ Pittsburgh by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 4
NC State @ Syracuse by 6
TCU @ West Virginia by 6
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 8
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 8
Texas @ Texas Tech by 5
Arizona @ UCLA by 7

Duke @ Pittsburgh by 7
Northwestern @ Iowa by 9
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 11
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 11
Texas @ Texas Tech by 4
Arizona @ UCL A by 9

Draxal

Not really. Hoke's a dead man walking.

The real joke here is that they'll probably wind up hiring Jeff Long - was previous an administrator at U of M - and Brett Bielama.

Have a feeling its going to be the BC guy with the uconn one as a runner up.

Duke @ Pittsburgh by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 4
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 7
Texas @ Texas Tech by 6
Arizona @ UCLA by 6

MrJames

Duke @ Pittsburgh by 7
Northwestern @ Iowa by 6
Maryland @ Penn State by 11
NC State @ Syracuse by 8
TCU @ West Virginia by 10
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 5
Stanford @ Oregon by 13
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 8
Texas @ Texas Tech by 6
Arizona @ UCLA by 10
Utah @ Arizona State by 11

Draxal

Duke by 7
Iowa by 10
Penn State by 4
NC State by 7
TCU by 15
Auburn by 10
Oregon by 7
South Carolina by 4
Texas by 10
Arizona by 4
Arizona State by 4

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Duke by 5
Iowa by 4
Maryland by 4
NC State by 10
TCU by 12
Auburn by 4
Oregon by 15
South Carolina by 4
Texas by 4
Arizona by 4
Arizona state by 4

What I've seen of Winston, brah is more overrated than Mariota. I would describe him as an African American Andy Dalton. He was carried last year by a five star o-line, superb wideouts, respectable running game, elite playcalling and a pre 2010 SEC calibre defense.

Top Bottom