• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 12: the Valley Shook, the Plains Ran Dry, and Sparty Clempsoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
B2hT6kiIMAA2_bp.jpg
Dawww

10538276.jpeg

It seemed like a movie. Snow was gently falling, glistening under the lights. It was 2nd and 10 from the 26. Six seconds left in the third quarter. Every Wisconsin fan knows the importance of the end of the third quarter. And there was Gordon, staring at the end zone, as if the Heisman Trophy was on the other side. I didn't realize how significant his touchdown was at the time; most of us lost count at around 300 yards. But God damn it as he rolled into the endzone with the fourth quarter looming, it was the best moment I've ever had at a sporting event, period. Next thing you know J.J. Watt comes up on the jumbotron, telling Badger fans to get pumped for the Jump Around. The song hits and the entire student section goes berserk. There was this sensation that we could do just about anything when Gordon was at 100%, like holy fuck bring on Bama.

Wisconsin will probably never win a football national championship, but last night felt probably just as good. I hadn't been as hyped since the Packers won the Superbowl. Every college football fan deserves to feel like this every once in a while.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Good riddance to Muschamp. I wasn't impressed with the hiring to begin with, and he's been completely clueless in terms of building a winning team. There's no reason a team this big should have this much trouble with recruiting. He was out of his depth in terms of coaching as well. Yesterday's total collapse shows that.

lush

Damn, that sucks to hear. Hope Foley strikes out again. Not sure why they didn't go for Mullen originally, or Strong for that matter. Was always a terrible hire. So rich rod?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I think its time for either Phil Fulmer or Terry Bowden to coach in the SEC again.

jjasper

Damn, that sucks to hear. Hope Foley strikes out again. Not sure why they didn't go for Mullen originally, or Strong for that matter. Was always a terrible hire. So rich rod?

People forget Muschamp was the coach to get back when he was hired. He was coach in waiting at Texas and had turned down 3 or 4 big time jobs before he went to FL. Anyway I am sure Florida goes for Mullen who would be smart to leave cause things will never get any better than this year at state.

Meier

Tony Lippett has struggled the past two weeks. Think he had a real shot to challenge for the Biletnikoff for awhile but that's probably over. Cooper and Agholor are probably the two frontrunners with Cooper winning pretty easily.

lush

People forget Muschamp was the coach to get back when he was hired. He was coach in waiting at Texas and had turned down 3 or 4 big time jobs before he went to FL. Anyway I am sure Florida goes for Mullen who would be smart to leave cause things will never get any better than this year at state.

I still remember feeling like Mullen(or Strong) was a no brainer. Surprisingly bad hire from Foley who is one of the better ADs around. I feel like Florida is in the same boat where we should be, hiring proven winners. Dude should've stuck at Texas, Brown was already fading at that point.

bachikarn

I don't think Mullen is well liked in our athletic department. Foley always puts a premium on recruiting too, and he was pretty bad at it. I'd be cool with Mullen, but I don't think it's going to happen.

We should have gotten Strong when Meyer first stepped down. Charlie isn't good with the media, and that's probably why. In retrospect, he would have also brought Teddy Bridgewater and we wouldn't have had four years of QB issues.

I don't think Mullen is well liked in our athletic department. Foley always puts a premium on recruiting too, and he was pretty bad at it. I'd be cool with Mullen, but I don't think it's going to happen.

We should have gotten Strong when Meyer first stepped down. Charlie isn't good with the media, and that's probably why. In retrospect, he would have also brought Teddy Bridgewater and we wouldn't have had four years of QB issues.
Bridgeeater, can't compete at the SEC level, let alone the NFL.
see what I did there?

mre

Here's a thought I read from another message board, which is kind of depressing.

Dan Mullen played for a touchdown, but not the win, at the end of the Bama game yesterday because he wanted to score style points with the committee by keeping the score close. This would explain the play calling on that last drive which didn't have any sense of hurry to it all, and, while it did end in a touchdown for MSU, it left them with 12 seconds on the clock and no timeouts.

If this is true, what a sad state of affairs for our sport. I maintain it's idiotic to have a committee decide a 4 team playoff. Should have left the BCS system in place and just taken the top 4 teams there.

JCX

Here's a thought I read from another message board, which is kind of depressing.

Dan Mullen played for a touchdown, but not the win, at the end of the Bama game yesterday because he wanted to score style points with the committee by keeping the score close. This would explain the play calling on that last drive which didn't have any sense of hurry to it all, and, while it did end in a touchdown for MSU, it left them with 12 seconds on the clock and no timeouts.

If this is true, what a sad state of affairs for our sport. I maintain it's idiotic to have a committee decide a 4 team playoff. Should have left the BCS system in place and just taken the top 4 teams there.

The clock management on the last drive was really weird, but that makes a lot more sense. At worst they'll probably drop to 5 and could still realistically get in if a team ahead drops 1.

Draconian

It's hard to tell because frankly their playcalling for most of that game was uninspired and naive at best. That drive just went right in line with the rest of the game.

mre

It's hard to tell because frankly their playcalling for most of that game was uninspired and naive at best. That drive just went right in line with the rest of the game.
Yep, but you would think with three minutes left in the game, and needing two touchdowns to win, there would have been a shift in the playcalling to throws towards the sidelines or at least past the sticks. Instead, they called runs up the middle of the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom