• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Bama showing it deserves to be No. 1 team. Will be a hard one to beat.

'Bama
Oregon
FSU
TCU / Baylor (Baylor to make it in if they win against K-State next week)

tOSU outside looking in (will need outside help)

So Baylor beating Kansas State is meaningful enough to leapfrog both Ohio State AND TCU, but Ohio State beating Wisconsin means nothing, even though Ohio State is higher ranked?

explain plz

so I see Boise is playing for that one group of 5 slot huh

(THU) LSU @ Texas A&M by 4
(FRI) Nebraska @ Iowa by 14
(FRI) Arkansas @ Missouri by 7
(FRI) Arizona State @ Arizona by 7
(FRI) Stanford @ UCLA by 14
Chop Block U @ Georgia by 14
South Carolina @ Clemson by 4
Mississippi State @ Ole Miss by 4
Florida @ Florida State by 6
Minnesota @ Wisconsin by 10
Notre Dame @ USC by 10
Auburn @ Alabama by 14

*double checks to make sure every pick is bolded*

weee 15 points

Chumly

It's Big12's fault, though.

I guess you are right. tOSU is really the wildcard here. Depends how well that new QB does against Wiscy. If they do well and win, then they are in, I guess. However, Baylor stands a good chance of making it regardless if they blow out K-State like TCU did.

It's unfortunately out of TCU's hands at this point, although I think they are by far the most deserving team of the three.

Can't the big 12 just schedule another powder puff team like the SEC instead of taking an extra bye week? That would solve the extra game problem.

It's Big12's fault, though.

I guess you are right. tOSU is really the wildcard here. Depends how well that new QB does against Wiscy. If they do well and win, then they are in, I guess. However, Baylor stands a good chance of making it regardless if they blow out K-State like TCU did.

It's unfortunately out of TCU's hands at this point, although I think they are by far the most deserving team of the three.

Unfortunately it makes no sense for the Big 12 to have a CCG when everyone plays everyone. A 12 team minimum conference is needed these days.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So Baylor beating Kansas State is meaningful enough to leapfrog both Ohio State AND TCU, but Ohio State beating Wisconsin means nothing, even though Ohio State is higher ranked?

explain plz

How much will the committee weigh the injury to Barrett?

explain plz

Explained it in my subsequent post. It's all up in the air depending on how tOSU adjusts and how the committee sees the QB change affecting tOSU overall.

Well the big 12 already plays 9 games so really they should be complaining why other pansy conferences only play 8 games and maybe 9 if you are in the championship game.

But that is also why not winning the championship should be a major factor. So for example.... Ohio State (if they would win next week) should automatically be in front of Mississippi state (had they won).

I think conference champions should carry a lot of weight, but the committee needs to be able to have some leeway. I'm an MSU fan, and as much as I hate Ohio State, I root for the conference. I'd like to see the conference represented, but if Ohio State struggles without their star QB, you can't put them in there.

Can't the big 12 just schedule another powder puff team like the SEC instead of taking an extra bye week? That would solve the extra game problem.

Since the big 12 doesn't play a CCG, maybe they can get a waiver from the NCAA to be allowed a 13 game season to keep up with everyone else. So Big 12 teams would play 9 conference games and 4 OOC

MIMIC

Banned
Explained it in my subsequent post. It's all up in the air depending on how tOSU adjusts and how the committee sees the QB change affecting tOSU overall.

And all of this is a week from now. You've already put Baylor ahead of Ohio State without knowing either of what your just posted (how Ohio St. will adjust and how the committee will react to the adjustment)

Chumly

I think conference champions should carry a lot of weight, but the committee needs to be able to have some leeway. I'm an MSU fan, and as much as I hate Ohio State, I root for the conference. I'd like to see the conference represented, but if Ohio State struggles without their star QB, you can't put them in there.

Why not? If they beat Wisconsin without their star QB they absolutely deserve to be there. ESPECIALLY over Mississippi state.

Phenomic

Well the big 12 already plays 9 games so really they should be complaining why other pansy conferences only play 8 games and maybe 9 if you are in the championship game.

But that is also why not winning the championship should be a major factor. So for example.... Ohio State (if they would win next week) should automatically be in front of Mississippi state (had they won).

I guess I just don't see it going down that way. I feel like with all the hype the SEC gets and how potentially weak OSU schedule is I don't think they would go. Truthfully, this is why we need an 8 person playoff because it pretty much would get rid of all that.

Figure skaters strike back.

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 5 hours ago
"The object of the game is to win. It's not figure skating."
- Jimbo Fisher

Heather Dinich retweeted
U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 57 seconds ago
@SportsCenter @CFBHeather @Ivan_Maisel Be sure to let Coach Fisher know that we have won 15 Olympic gold medals. #WeWinToo

And all of this is a week from now. You've already put Baylor ahead of Ohio State without knowing either of what your just posted (how Ohio St. will adjust and how the committee will react to the adjustment)

*that was a mistake on my end... sorry, mate.

Bama
Oregon
FSU
TCU

Outside looking in:
tOSU
Baylor

Chumly

Since the big 12 doesn't play a CCG, maybe they can get a waiver from the NCAA to be allowed a 13 game season to keep up with everyone else. So Big 12 teams would play 9 conference games and 4 OOC

Derp... I wasn't even thinking about that but yea they would have to get a waiver which wouldn't happen. Can't have a conference championship game though because it would ALWAYS be a rematch which is stupid and unnecessary. You have to have it for 14 team conferences since you only play a third of the "other side" which means you need the championship game to determine the champion.

AntoneM

pfft until the Big 12 plays 9 conference games AND a Conference Championship Game they have no room to call any other conference a pansy. Just sayin'.
This message brought to you by well known Pac 12 homer, Sagarin

LOL, what does this even mean? I'm pretty sure that a figure skater's objective is to win, too.

The point (which was also missed by figure skating) is that it's all subjective in figure skating, based on judges' scores, not on an objectively measurable outcome. Jimbo's full quote spelled it out more, in that he talked about judges versus wins and losses on the scoreboard. Anyway, Jimbo's just politicking.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
giphy.gif

Nachoman had no doubts PAWLLLL

Chumly

I guess I just don't see it going down that way. I feel like with all the hype the SEC gets and how potentially weak OSU schedule is I don't think they would go. Truthfully, this is why we need an 8 person playoff because it pretty much would get rid of all that.

Agreed on the 8 team playoff. It would have been a fucking travesty had the scenario played out that Mississippi state got in over Ohio state. SEC has turned into smoke and mirrors. Sticking a SEC team in the top 10 or top 15 just because they beat another SEC team doesn't make them a good team.

Wisconsin is good enough that Ohio State doesn't need style points while beating them.

They just need to beat them.

Chumly

Wisconsin is good enough that Ohio State doesn't need style points while beating them.

They just need to beat them.

Exactly. God knows how many close SEC games there has been this season. Don't see any of those teams being penalized for not putting on style points.

MIMIC

Banned
The point (which was also missed by figure skating) is that it's all subjective in figure skating, based on judges' scores, not on an objectively measurable outcome. Jimbo's full quote spelled it out more, in that he talked about judges versus wins and losses on the scoreboard. Anyway, Jimbo's just politicking.

OK, I see what he means. But in the context of rankings (the reporter's question about close games being held against them), there's definitely a subjective element.

But I get his point :)

Lunar15

even in a hypothetical 8-team playoff, the SEC wouldn't get 3 teams in it unless Missouri beats Alabama :lol

Guess all that ESPN SEC bias went to good use...

oh wait no that's the opposite of what happened.

Meanwhile, to my fellow UF fans: It's over. It's finally over.

Now we just sit and wait for Foley to make the best choice ever by bringing in a head coach that makes the offense a high powered machine while keeping the defense a crushing force. And also makes candy and money rain from the sky and achieves world peace.

Clearly, I have no doubts that Foley will make the best possible choice.

MIMIC

Banned
So it it a foregone conclusion that the 4th spot is up for grabs should Baylor or Ohio State win?

Fake edit: *looks at TCU's next opponent* @_@

Never mind. Come next Tuesday Sunday, Ohio State or Baylor will be No. 4 :)

ryseing

Guess all that ESPN SEC bias went to good use...

oh wait no that's the opposite of what happened.

Meanwhile, to my fellow UF fans: It's over. It's finally over.

Now we just sit and wait for Foley to make the best choice ever by bringing in a head coach that makes the offense a high powered machine while keeping the defense a crushing force. And also makes candy and money rain from the sky and achieves world peace.

Clearly, I have no doubts that Foley will make the best possible choice.

How do you feel about Larry Fedora?

Baylor's QB Bryce Petty went out of the game with a concussion today. If he's not cleared for next Saturday's game, the committee can punish Baylor for not having their best player under center just like tOSU

MIMIC

Banned
Baylor's QB Bryce Petty went out of the game with a concussion today. If he's not cleared for next Saturday's game, the committee can punish Baylor for not having their best player under center just like tOSU

Heh, forgot about that.

Tiebreaker: who beat Michigan last? =p

Chumly

Close games Florida State has existed on barely winning.
Unfortunately they get a bye because they are undefeated. If they had one loss they would be at the bottom of the pack. So really they are not a question unless they lose next week. If they do I think they absolutely should be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom