• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Nebraska really think theyre better than a 9 win average team? Huh, weird.

UNL is one of those teams who think theyre bigger than they are because of 20 years ago, Michigan is almost there too.
to be fair, we have 5 MNC since 1970, you have 1.

Yes, I agree the Nebraska fan base has unreasonable expectations

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The constant blowouts on the national stage are something else though. We're constantly a 9 win team but nothing more than that because we beat up cream puffs and then don't know how to adjust to real teams. I don't necessarily want to immediately be in the national championship hunt or think that we can in the immediate future, but the current state of affairs is that we're a bit of joke team with an abrasive head coach who consistently gets out coached and embarrassed with everyone watching.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Calling nebraska a team with no potential to be great is stupid. Any team can be better than they are, especially the perennially undetperforming Huskers. They are in the weaker half of the second worst Power 5 conference. With their schedule this year and last, they should have lost 2 games at most.

They pay enough to get a top 20 coach and top 20 coordinators, but consistently performs worse than the top 20.

I hope they go with someone young and fresh. Scott Frost would be cool, as he is Nebraska-bred and has had a lot of success as a coordinator in the PAC12. If he could pair it with a competent DC, Nebraska could get back to a perennial top 15 ranking.

To say that Nebraska's ship has sailed is stupid, I think our best years (outside of the 90's, which no team will emulate ever again) are in front of us.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They can't recruit down south like they used to, losing the Oklahoma game hurt them alot.

Yep! Sorry everyone in cold weather areas, but the days of people from warmer weather going to cold spots is mostly gone.

Also population wise Nebraska is roughly the 37th most populous state according to rough wiki numbers.

Vanillalite

Everyone is going nuts back here in Nebraska. Be interesting to see how this turns out.

Let me sum it up for you!

image.php

thefro

Y7cX0Xa.jpg

Best picture of yesterday

There's no reason a program like Nebraska shouldn't be dominant especially given the conference they play in.

Unless they hire a top-tier coach that's not going to happen. The B1G may lack an elite team but there's quite a few good ones and even the bottom feeders are a threat to pull the upset if the big dawgs have a bad week.

Jhriad

Still out of town and away from my computer for the holiday but I decided to check sports news to see if the A&M job has been filled yet. Instead I see Pelini is finally out. God I hope this hire isn't awful.

They can't recruit down south like they used to, losing the Oklahoma game hurt them alot.

The composition of the recruiting classes hasn't really changed significantly since the 90s. Neither had our recruiting rankings. We won't get back to that level again but it won't be because we suddenly can't recruit the south.

I hope they go with someone young and fresh. Scott Frost would be cool, as he is Nebraska-bred and has had a lot of success as a coordinator in the PAC12. If he could pair it with a competent DC, Nebraska could get back to a perennial top 15 ranking.

Supposedly Frost burned a lot of bridges in the 90s but no one talks about what exactly he did publicly so that might be a controversial pick with some.

Vanillalite

Calling nebraska a team with no potential to be great is stupid. Any team can be better than they are, especially the perennially undetperforming Huskers. They are in the weaker half of the second worst Power 5 conference. With their schedule this year and last, they should have lost 2 games at most.

They pay enough to get a top 20 coach and top 20 coordinators, but consistently performs worse than the top 20.

To say that Nebraska's ship has sailed is stupid, I think our best years (outside of the 90's, which no team will emulate ever again) are in front of us.

Your a smaller US State population wise in the middle of the country with no real upside college wise for recruits in cold weather. There is absolutely zero reason kids from Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, California ect... to chose to go to Nebraska over schools in or around their home state/conference(s).

Schools in these areas have a tough enough time recruiting against each other let alone schools from out of the way areas like Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana ect... trying to get kids from the hot bed recruiting areas.

Granted that doesn't mean you can't have some good years and a star player can't be born anywhere, but in general that ship has sailed.

BTM

I can't stand the idiotic fans who think it's appropriate to tweet garbage at the players who are obviously going through a rough time right now. Jesus

jjasper

Nebraska can be good again but their AD has to understand to college sports are a coaches' sport. The coach is what matters. What Nebraska has to realize is that:
1. Being a name school gets people's attention but you still have to pay big money to get a good coach to leave a good situation.
2. Kids aren't going to line up to play for Nebraska like in the past (unless they live there) Any coach has to be a great recruiter with a solid recruiting plan.

Edit: Having said that firing a coach after winning 9 games a year is probably not going to attract many good coaches.

Pelini being fired certainly is a surprise, wondering where he will end up. Doesn't seem like a good fit with Florida or Michigan and certainly not the NFL(maybe as a coordinator?).

I think the committee should tell the Big 12 that either they play a conference championship game to determine whether TCU or Baykor gets in or neither get in

ag-my001

Still out of town and away from my computer for the holiday but I decided to check sports news to see if the A&M job has been filled yet. Instead I see Pelini is finally out. God I hope this hire isn't awful.

I hadn't heard that Snyder was fired, but I can't say it's surprising. We had an odd deal of two straight years of way too many freshman starting, but improvement was sorely lacking throughout the season. Manziel isn't walking back through that door, so the only way to get over the 7/8 win hump is to build up the defense.

Chumly

Your a smaller US State population wise in the middle of the country with no real upside college wise for recruits in cold weather. There is absolutely zero reason kids from Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, California ect... to chose to go to Nebraska over schools in or around their home state/conference(s).

Schools in these areas have a tough enough time recruiting against each other let alone schools from out of the way areas like Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana ect... trying to get kids from the hot bed recruiting areas.

Granted that doesn't mean you can't have some good years and a star player can't be born anywhere, but in general that ship has sailed.

We have the money, facilities and tradition. If we are already getting good enough recruits to pump out 7 straight 9 win seasons we can get a coach that will win big games. Frankly the talk of the times have changed is ridiculous.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Why the hell does the Big12 not do tiebreakers?
I think they believe they're being "cute" with regards to the playoffs by not designating one team their champion over the other, despite the fact that one team beat the other on the field.

The Big12 will have two "champions." How can you keep out a conference champion? Keep this in mind if we go to 8 teams with automatic ins for P5 conference champs. :p

Why the hell does the Big12 not do tiebreakers?

It allows the committee to have more than one option in their selection. They can pick from two conference champs instead of one!

Similar to what the AAC has done for an access bowl selection (if Boise loses next week) until we get a CCG next year.

Brutal end to the season with Cal losing 42-35 to BYU. The defense just wasn't there to get the stops that Cal needed, and Cal also managed to not score on four downs inside the BYU's 15 yard line right at the end of the game. It's too bad that they won't get a bowl game mostly because they could have used another month of practice for the players.

It was a strange season overall since the five wins mostly exceeded my expectations, but there was such incompetence from the defense and the coaching staff that I feel they could have pulled out a few additional wins without too much trouble. Looks like next season will be another year with this coaching staff, and fortunately most of the key players are returning. Here's hoping for another step forward.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We have the money, facilities and tradition. If we are already getting good enough recruits to pump out 7 straight 9 win seasons we can get a coach that will win big games. Frankly the talk of the times have changed is ridiculous.

Co-signed. Everyone here saying otherwise has no clue what they are talking about. Nebraska has always been about development, walk-ons and juco transfers, never about 5-star recruits and so on. Even during the vaunted 90s,this was largely the case. The coaches, not the temperature make all the difference.

Brutal end to the season with Cal losing 42-35 to BYU. The defense just wasn't there to get the stops that Cal needed, and Cal also managed to not score on four downs inside the BYU's 15 yard line right at the end of the game. It's too bad that they won't get a bowl game mostly because they could have used another month of practice for the players.

It was a strange season overall since the five wins mostly exceeded my expectations, but there was such incompetence from the defense and the coaching staff that I feel they could have pulled out a few additional wins without too much trouble. Looks like next season will be another year with this coaching staff, and fortunately most of the key players are returning. Here's hoping for another step forward.
So basically what you're saying is that it's a horrible season to be a Cal bear?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
What's the justification for this particular dumb NCAA rule?

Why shouldn't a 10-team conference be allowed to have a championship game?

Why would they have one with a round robin schedule? They have the best system, they are just choosing to muck it up by not giving the head to head winner the nod.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
We parked at the intermodal parking lot downtown and took the shuttles to the stadium (my dad has a bum knee). It took an hour to get from the stadium back to the parking lot, when it normally only takes about 30 minutes. We then did a quick loop downtown to see if anything was open and serving food but everything that's open late had just shut their doors at midnight. Slid down greensboro to Skyland and hit the Chik Fil A which was thankfully still open, though technically it was sunday and took Skyland/11 over to Interstate.

The interstate at that point was actually too bad. It was the cops directing traffic inside Tuscaloosa that seemed to be doing a poor job moving traffic around.

It's usually much better than this.

I've usually gone north from the stadium, either to 88 (by the river) or smaller roads, then back onto 215 before the Y to 216. Never gone towards Skyland or McFarland to the south.

Firing Pelini is like firing Richt. There's a want to, but afterwards, you realize, oh shit, he's won a lot of games. I'd have waited till the coach took a bad downward slide like Fulmer.

What's the justification for this particular dumb NCAA rule?

Why shouldn't a 10-team conference be allowed to have a championship game?

Idk. NCAA is ultimately made up of the schools themselves.

At this point, why would ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC teams go with allowing the Big XII to have a game with only 10 teams? They all have to field 12 or more teams, and it seems like a monetary advantage having to only split the money pie 10 times versus 12. I would think regardless they would all want to force the Big XII to have to play 13 games like everyone else.

Like others have said, Big XII is perfectly capable of naming a sole champ out of the round robin format, they're just choosing not to because reasons.

tokkun

I'm sure Nebraskans are looking at Wisconsin, which is in the same division, has all the same location-based disadvantages without the "storied program" advantage, recruits worse than Nebraska, yet still has 3 (possibly 4) conference championships in the last 5 years and hasn't had a blowout loss in as much time.

Or they could look at Oregon, which has recruited on-par with Nebraska over Pelini's tenure, but has been a national title contender for many of those years.

Stanford and OK State are a couple other examples of teams outplaying their recruiting over a shorter time period.

Those are teams that used to be terrible, and were built up by coaches with a very specific vision for the program's identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom