• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I took my wife to Waffle House on our third date. I am a classy mother fucker.

It was midnight though. And Tallahassee late night cuisine is fairly fast food oriented. Well, all the cuisine is fast food oriented.

george_us

If all those teams win out, tOSU would be 12-1 compared to TCu/Baylor's 11-1 record though. Committee needs to punish TCU/Baylor for not playing a CCG
Eh I think the committee take Barrett's injury into account and leave the Buckeyes out regardless if they win out unless they obliterate Wisconsin.

Since the big 12 doesn't play a CCG, maybe they can get a waiver from the NCAA to be allowed a 13 game season to keep up with everyone else. So Big 12 teams would play 9 conference games and 4 OOC
Big 12 has been trying to lobby to allow a CCG with 10 teams. We'll see if it gets approved early next year by the NCAA.

I'm not sure if there any incentives for the Pac 12, ACC, SEC, and Big 10 to approve such a rule.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
DqsyJIv.jpg

Turned on the Apple Cup/Bowl/whatevs, and I was promised a snow game and they didn't deliver like the pre-game pictures lead us to believe.

Lonestar

oh ho ho, Mike Perera with the "that should have been an Alabama interception" call.

Tie goes to the player touching the ground first on a catch. That's interesting.

Draconian

oh ho ho, Mike Perera with the "that should have been an Alabama interception" call.

Tie goes to the player touching the ground first on a catch. That's interesting.

It looked like Sylve or whoever it was on the coverage had more of the ball before they went out of bounds anyway. Not too broken up about it though. Just happy that we won after playing awfully for large portions of the game. If I see single coverage over the top from our defense get shredded again, it will be too soon.

Lonestar

Let’s look at the NCAA Rule Book, Part 2, under "interpretations'' for the answer. Under the Completed Pass, Article 6, rule 7-3-6, section 2: Two opposing players receive a legal forward pass while both are off the ground, and one payer returns to the ground inbounds before the other. Ruling: No simultaneous catch. The legal forward pass is completed or intercepted by the player who first returned to the ground.

For clarification.

Fighting the Refs and the Barners. Prevail in the face of Adversity/fsu

Slurmer

Banned
So it it a foregone conclusion that the 4th spot is up for grabs should Baylor or Ohio State win?

Fake edit: *looks at TCU's next opponent* @_@

Never mind. Come next Tuesday Sunday, Ohio State or Baylor will be No. 4 :)

If all teams win out, Baylor deserves it IMO. I'm an OSU fan but they don't have as good a resume as the bears. TCU, well they lost to Baylor so it would be dumb if they were to go in over them.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Just got home from Tuscaloosa. Jesus, it's like the cops got tired of directing traffic by this game and just said fuck it. What a mess trying to get out of Tuscaloosa.

Eh I think the committee take Barrett's injury into account and leave the Buckeyes out regardless if they win out unless they obliterate Wisconsin.
If OSU beats Wisconsin losing JT should be irrelevant.

Why would they have to obliterate Wisconsin? Wisconsin is good. Damn good. It would be a statement win no matter how close it ends up being.

Why would they have to obliterate Wisconsin? Wisconsin is good. Damn good. It would be a statement win no matter how close it ends up being.

The loss to Northwestern stinks...

Also

Ralph D. Russo
‏@ralphDrussoAP
Alabama with 2 losses, I think would have a good case against TCU, Baylor, Ohio State with one.

Realyst

Just got home from Tuscaloosa. Jesus, it's like the cops got tired of directing traffic by this game and just said fuck it. What a mess trying to get out of Tuscaloosa.

Which direction did you head in? I can imagine that trying to get to I-20/59 must've been an exercise in futility. Wasn't too bad for me heading south.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
At least the season is over.

How did you lose to Illinois? It seems like NW played to the level of their competition this year. Played well against good teams, lost to teams they should have beaten. And I bet the players go Jack in the Box chicken sandwiches after the game :(

I had a similar experience getting out of Ann Arbor last year.

Medium-sized college towns can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like this.

And why, exactly, does that mean that Ohio State has to destroy Wisconsin next week in order to get a statement win? Wisconsin is still a high-quality ranked opponent in spite of a dumb loss almost two months ago.

Cool. How is this guy's opinion relevant when it comes to CFB Playoff selection?

I am sure if he thinks that, that it's likely that a few members of the committee will also think that.

As for Wisconsin, I agree. All tOSU has to do is win, but if they want to convince the committee given the QB change, as right now they are still on the outside looking in, they will probably need win with some style points. Obviously, that changes if Oregon gets upset again or if FSU loses to Ga Tech, but assuming the top 3 go through, then each of Baylor, tOSU and TCU have a reasonable claim on 4th spot. It will come down to how well each of the teams play in the last week.

I am sure if he thinks that, that it's likely that a few members of the committee will also think that.

There's only one journalist on the committee. I wouldn't assume that some AP reporter's opinion is indicative of anything.

As for Wisconsin, I agree. All tOSU has to do is win, but if they want to convince the committee given the QB change, as right now they are still on the outside looking in, they will probably need win with some style points. Obviously, that changes if Oregon gets upset again or if FSU loses to Ga Tech, but assuming the top 3 go through, then each of Baylor, tOSU and TCU have a reasonable claim on 4th spot. It will come down to how well each of the teams play in the last week.

If we get left out it's our own damn fault for the Va Tech loss. Certainly not arguing otherwise. I'm just not understanding how losing Barrett is relevant in the playoff selection process if Ohio State beats Wisconsin next week.

It would be one thing if Ohio State beat Wisconsin in the championship and lost Barrett in that game. In that scenario we wouldn't know how big of a loss that truly is. But we lost Barrett this week and have a matchup next week against a tough team that will be a more than adequate litmus test for a Barrett-less squad.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Which direction did you head in? I can imagine that trying to get to I-20/59 must've been an exercise in futility. Wasn't too bad for me heading south.
We parked at the intermodal parking lot downtown and took the shuttles to the stadium (my dad has a bum knee). It took an hour to get from the stadium back to the parking lot, when it normally only takes about 30 minutes. We then did a quick loop downtown to see if anything was open and serving food but everything that's open late had just shut their doors at midnight. Slid down greensboro to Skyland and hit the Chik Fil A which was thankfully still open, though technically it was sunday and took Skyland/11 over to Interstate.

The interstate at that point was actually too bad. It was the cops directing traffic inside Tuscaloosa that seemed to be doing a poor job moving traffic around.
I had a similar experience getting out of Ann Arbor last year.

Medium-sized college towns can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like this.
It's usually much better than this.

george_us

You'd have to make the argument that OSU is still one of the four best teams in the country even without Barrett. I think a close win, especially if Cardale doesn't play well, puts doubt into that notion. If Cardale absolutely lights up Wisconsin then the committee has to take notice.

You'd have to make the argument that OSU is still one of the four best teams in the country even without Barrett. I think a close win, especially if Cardale doesn't play well, puts doubt into that notion. If Cardale absolutely lights up Wisconsin then the committee has to take notice.

Pretty much FSU's entire season consists of slim wins against garbage opponents, yet they're still in the top four. (And I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be.) But somehow a slim win against a Top 15 team could potentially be the final nail in the coffin for Ohio State?

A guns blazing, Sparty-style win against Wisconsin is absolutely preferable to a razor-thin win, but I don't think it's going to be absolutely necessary. It's a quality win in either scenario. If we get left out, it's not going to be because we barely beat Wisconsin in the B1G championship (assuming we beat them, which is a massive assumption). It's going to be because of that fucking Virginia Tech game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So games that matter next week are:

Oregon - Arizona

Bama - Missouri

FSU - Georgia Tech

Ohio State - Wisconsin

While TCU is playing a terrible Iowa State game.

Oregon should beat Arizona in the re-match, they killed themselves the first game by giving out loads of 1st downs to Arizona.. and that was story of the game.

Bama should steamroll an admittedly not that good Missouri team.

Georgia Tech might be able to upset FSU, which would be great.. but GT lost to NC and Duke.. so who the fuck knows anymore. I bet FSU finds a way to win again, like that have for 2 years.

I think if both OSU and TCU win.. I think OSU get's in the final 4.. as Wisconsin is a game that matters and Iowa State isn't. I think the way this system is for the voting it is going to reward recent history more than season long.

The only other active FBS coach to record nine or more wins the past six seasons was Alabama's Nick Saban. Friday's win also gave Pelini one more victory (67) than Osborne totaled in his first seven years on the job.
lol

Ive been disgruntled over this season, but now thats he's gone I'm not sure how I feel.

ag-my001

I was wondering why they'd be so eager to get rid of a perennial 9 win coach, but then I thought of all their embarrassing blowout losses. Crazy thought, but could they be going after Muschamp to clean up the defense? I could see the AD trying to hold onto some decision making power regarding OC, but it's a thought.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Nebraska's expectations of being an contender every year is absurd.

They've been consistently GOOD for years.. they just haven't been GREAT for a long time.. but the landscape of college football has changed. Nebraska isn't a top destination for athletes anymore.. the competition for recruits isn't the same as it was 20 years ago.. they need to stop hoping the mid-90's comes back to them.

The games changed.

Draxal

Pelini brought it upon himself with his mouth.

Nebraska has one of the best fanbases out there, and he made an enemy out of them.

Maybe Urbz can convince Pelini to go back to being a D-coordinator for a few years and we can finally get rid of Fickell.

Isn't Ash your dc now?

So Nebraska really think theyre better than a 9 win average team? Huh, weird.

UNL is one of those teams who think theyre bigger than they are because of 20 years ago, Michigan is almost there too.

Pelini brought it upon himself with his mouth.

Nebraska has one of the best fanbases out there, and he made an enemy out of them.

Nebraska fans' expectations are entirely out of whack. They aren't national contenders anymore and they might not ever be again. And it's largely due to factors that are out of Pelini's control.

Pelini can be an abrasive dickhole, no doubt, but I think he was doing as good a job as a HC could possibly do at Nebraska.

Isn't Ash your dc now?

He and Fickell share the D-coordinator job and Fickell coaches the linebackers. Fickell is dead weight and everyone wants him gone. Pelini would be a massive upgrade, but Pelini still deserves to be a HC so I can't say I'd expect it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom