• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they have one with a round robin schedule? They have the best system, they are just choosing to muck it up by not giving the head to head winner the nod.

Even with a round robin, I don't understand why a conference shouldn't be able to have divisions and a championship game if they want them.

Chumly

Firing Pelini is like firing Richt. There's a want to, but afterwards, you realize, oh shit, he's won a lot of games. I'd have waited till the coach took a bad downward slide like Fulmer.
Except pelini is top 5 if not biggest asshole in college sports. Can't be a douche to everyone and burn bridges without producing. I'm not talking about national championships either. I'm talking winning divisions, conferences and beating top 25 teams.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm sure Nebraskans are looking at Wisconsin, which is in the same division, has all the same location-based disadvantages without the "storied program" advantage, recruits worse than Nebraska, yet still has 3 (possibly 4) conference championships in the last 5 years and hasn't had a blowout loss in as much time.

Or they could look at Oregon, which has recruited on-par with Nebraska over Pelini's tenure, but has been a national title contender for many of those years.

Stanford and OK State are a couple other examples of teams outplaying their recruiting over a shorter time period.

Those are teams that used to be terrible, and were built up by coaches with a very specific vision for the program's identity.

Oregon has something every other school in the Nation doesn't and that's Nike. It's idiotic to bring up Oregon and not mention the Nike influence.

Also comparing Stanford to Nebraska is night and day.

Wisconsin is a good analogy except that they have over 5 million people in the state where as Nebraska doesn't even have 2.

I'm sure Nebraskans are looking at Wisconsin, which is in the same division, has all the same location-based disadvantages without the "storied program" advantage, recruits worse than Nebraska, yet still has 3 (possibly 4) conference championships in the last 5 years and hasn't had a blowout loss in as much time.

Or they could look at Oregon, which has recruited on-par with Nebraska over Pelini's tenure, but has been a national title contender for many of those years.

Stanford and OK State are a couple other examples of teams outplaying their recruiting over a shorter time period.

Those are teams that used to be terrible, and were built up by coaches with a very specific vision for the program's identity.

This sums it up. Fuck, I'd be ok if we won 6 games or whatever for a few of the past 7 years as long as we were competitive in games and actually beat worthwhile opponents, but it's the constant blowouts in big games that the fanbase has disdain for. Look at the Iowa game this past Friday as a perfect example of Pelinis tenure here. We had 4 defensive turnovers, should've had a massive lead going into halftime and yet we got lucky to escape with a win in overtime. The team is mentally weak and plays extremely sloppy and constantly out of position. It's also seemingly always out of sorts and the scheme doesn't work with the players.. It's been that way since Pelini came in and it hadn't improved (bar maybe one season) over the past 7 years. That is a pure coaching issue and it was time for a change. Settling for mediocrity is ridiculous and I'm glad the Eichorst had the balls to make the decision this year, even if it was a year later than it should have been.

Vanillalite

Look don't misunderstand me in that I tnjbk Nebraska can be better coached.

The idea that Nebraska should be a top 10 program competing for the Big 10 and National title just doesn't make sense with the current makeup of college football.

To be quite honest I see zero reason Ohio State shouldn't be a B10 title winner lock for the rest of this decade.

Chumly

Oregon has something every other school in the Nation doesn't and that's Nike. It's idiotic to bring up Oregon and not mention the Nike influence.

Also comparing Stanford to Nebraska is night and day.

Wisconsin is a good analogy except that they have over 5 million people in the state where as Nebraska doesn't even have 2.
God we must have missed how Nike makes players better.

Not even for sure what you are trying to say with Stanford.

Your state population argument is flawed and irrelevant. Nebraska has always gotten plenty of recruits from surrounding states. Our population isn't going to become some magically barrier.
Look don't misunderstand me in that I tnjbk Nebraska can be better coached.

The idea that Nebraska should be a top 10 program competing for the Big 10 and National title just doesn't make sense with the current makeup of college football.

To be quite honest I see zero reason Ohio State shouldn't be a B10 title winner lock for the rest of this decade.
Based off what? We have already been a contender in the big 10. You have been making bold statements without anything to back it up. People said the same thing about Nebraska back in the early 90s that we would never again be able to complete with the Florida teams etc.

Yeah... About that...

How do you hold onto a coach leading your team into Oblivion? He has gotten worse every single year since he got there...

He just hasn't been fired yet. There's no chance he returns. None of the coaches UM is looking at are available yet anyway. Sometime next week, as early as Monday, I'd bet.

I have no pulse on the ND situation or how hot Kellys seat is, but I imagine them and Michigan are feeling the pressure. Florida is already out of the gate and you don't want to be the last one looking for a date to prom.

Vanillalite

God we must have missed how Nike makes players better.

Not even for sure what you are trying to say with Stanford.

Your state population argument is flawed and irrelevant. Nebraska has always gotten plenty of recruits from surrounding states. Our population isn't going to become some magically barrier.

Based off what? We have already been a contender in the big 10. You have been making bold statements without anything to back it up. People said the same thing about Nebraska back in the early 90s that we would never again be able to complete with the Florida teams etc.

Surround states of Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota ect... Aka the hot bed of elite football talent.

Also if you don't get how Phil Knight has dramatically changed Oregon's program I'm not even sure we can have this discussion.

jjasper

Nebraska needs a bunch of big fat strong white dudes and needs to run the option every play. Basically they should hire Paul Johnson.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
After sort of evaluating this clusterfuck all year I think what needs to be done (besides going to the obvious 8 team playoff) is to just select the winners of the strongest conferences regardless of who that is. In this scenario for this year this means the winners of the pac12 and sec and then whoever they think is the next strongest conference (probably ACC and b12).

Makes is so much easier than worrying about how lost to who and when and by how much and how many quality opponents they have and blahblahblah.

So the contestants would be:
Oregon or Arizona
Alabama or Missou
Baylor or TCU (yes, they have to use a tie-breaker)
FSU or GTech

Yes, the b12 gets screwed.

I have no pulse on the ND situation or how hot Kellys seat is, but I imagine them and Michigan are feeling the pressure. Florida is already out of the gate and you don't want to be the last one looking for a date to prom.

I think Kelly's seat is much, much cooler than people think. I think Kelly and the AD had reasonable expectations for this year especially after we had 5 starters or major contributors suspended before the season started. We should have had 8 wins by most projections and would have if we didn't shit the bed against Northwestern.

Most of our defense yesterday was people who weren't even close to the 2 deep when the season began.

There is obviously a noisy contingent of fans who want him gone, but they are the same people who didn't want him in the first place because they thought we could get Meyer or Saban.

I've usually gone north from the stadium, either to 88 (by the river) or smaller roads, then back onto 215 before the Y to 216. Never gone towards Skyland or McFarland to the south.

Firing Pelini is like firing Richt. There's a want to, but afterwards, you realize, oh shit, he's won a lot of games. I'd have waited till the coach took a bad downward slide like Fulmer.

Except since Fulmer was sliding, but he's still been more successful than what followed.

Pelini won the games he was supposed to but never upsets or able to raise the program every few seasons.

Chumly

Surround states of Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota ect... Aka the hot bed of elite football talent.

Also if you don't get how Phil Knight has dramatically changed Oregon's program I'm not even sure we can have this discussion.
You seemed to have completely missed what the original argument was so yes it's going to be tough to have a discussion.

Chumly

I think it's probably a 85% chance that we will all laugh out loud at the person they replace Pelini with. Is Ron Zook still around?
My dad was getting excited about Scott frost and turner gill...... I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of turner gill. He would be a horrible head coach.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Front runner is easily our beloved [citation needed] soon to be ex-governor Dave Heineman. I mean he clearly thought he was actually experienced to be UNL's president.

My dad was getting excited about Scott frost and turner gill...... I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of turner gill. He would be a horrible head coach.

Gill would be a nightmare.

I bet it goes 50/50 at worst. I highly doubt we replace Pelini with anyone with a poor track record. Why would we?

If I'm a moderately successful coach I probably don't want to take a job where you get fired for getting 9 wins pretty much every season. I entirely expect Nebraska will hire an "up coming" coordinator over a head coach with MAC experience.

Chumly

If I'm a moderately successful coach I probably don't want to take a job where you get fired for getting 9 wins pretty much every season. I entirely expect Nebraska will hire an "up coming" coordinator over a head coach with MAC experience.
Honestly I don't think the 9 wins is going to cause a problem. There were other problems and anyway who takes a remotely close look would see that.

jjasper

So two questions:
1: Will UAB players be able to transfer anywhere with immediate eligibility?
2: Do they have any decent OL players?

So Nebraska really think theyre better than a 9 win average team? Huh, weird.

UNL is one of those teams who think theyre bigger than they are because of 20 years ago, Michigan is almost there too.

Every team in the Midwest is a few recruiting cycles away from being Notre Dame/Michigan/Nebraska and grasping at past glory.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Appears University of Alabama Board of Trustees will get their wish.

UAB is about done. Even the coach has come to terms with it now. Not sure how this will affect other sports either. CUSA could kick them out because they are no longer sponsoring football.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11959176

They did get bowl eligible too.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=138932815
mre said:
Dead program by the way. Unless something changes over the next month, this team's football program is going away.

Meant to post that earlier today when I heard it.
this has been "official" for weeks.

I know there have been rumblings. But it is pretty real now. With a more set timeframe of within the week. And even with them becoming bowl eligible this year.

1st FBS program to shut down since 1995.

I've heard this too. I mean at least it would be their own decision. Has to suck being literally on an island.

Maybe they should bring back June Jones. He seems to like it down in Hawaii.

I don't think its a coaching issue, it is a financial issue. It just keeps getting more and more expensive for them to run that program and the administration doesn't want to pay it anymore.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I know there have been rumblings. But it is pretty real now. With a more set timeframe of within the week. And even with them becoming bowl eligible this year.

1st FBS program to shut down since 1995.
Trust me. It was real when I posted that. Almost directly from the horse's mouth.

Piggus

Almost directly from the horse's mouth.

iKzOBHa7wZXR9.gif

clav

How did you lose to Illinois? It seems like NW played to the level of their competition this year. Played well against good teams, lost to teams they should have beaten. And I bet the players go Jack in the Box chicken sandwiches after the game :(
Outcoached. Conservative play calling on offense and terrible game planning.

Too many injuries. Starting QB out. Defense depleted.

Program needs some new coaches.

Michigan can fire their staff.

Nebraska can, too.

Northwestern, nope. That game basically summarized the season. Head coach says everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom