• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think this is part of the problem though; these kids all love the coaching staff, which they should since they spend 4-5 years of their lives with them, but for all the talk about running through walls for them and other hyperbolic statements, what happened to actually playing a sound, fundamental game for them? What happened to fulfilling the assignments and game plan? If it's the players failing, so be it, but it's up to the coaching staff to coach the players. It's a mindset within the program; the players seem so complacent with winning 9 games a year against mediocre competition and consistently getting blown out against any real team on a national stage. Anyone who looks at this and just sees a 9-win a year coach and says "Why the hell would you fire them for that?" isn't looking at the program as a whole.

FyreWulff

Once again, never seen a fanbase or administration so fucking full of themselves.

We're in the goddamn middle of the prairie. It's COLD AS SHIT. And then you're not even in the only city in Nebraska with actual population, but out in the gas stop with the giant penis building known as Lincoln.

Now we've fired a second coach with a 9-3 record. People are still circle jerking over 1994, 1995, and 1997. Shit was 20 years ago. And it came after a decade of Osborne getting close but no championship.

The stuff said about fans was true. And the fans at the game don't fucking participate. Tons of blue hairs that just sit on their hands and don't make noise. All the actual loud fans are at the bars and home because they haven't inherited season tickets from people that watched Devaney's rookie season yet.

We're probably going to hire some old coach that while they could maybe win, we'll never build a program off them because they've got one foot in the retirement golf cart. If we're lucky, we'll get to the conference championship with Bo's recruits, everyone will pat each other on the back, Eichorst will get his Wiscy AD job for 'rebuilding a program', and everyone feels better about themselves for the next 10 years of 9-3 seasons.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Auburn has sacrificed it's DC, as if that will make a difference. Never gonna have a good defense with that offense.

Jhriad

Your a smaller US State population wise in the middle of the country with no real upside college wise for recruits in cold weather. There is absolutely zero reason kids from Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, California ect... to chose to go to Nebraska over schools in or around their home state/conference(s).

If you bothered to check recruiting classes you'll see that they contradict your assumptions there. We continue to pull plenty of talent from hotbed states in spite of our negatives. It certainly helps that we continue to have some of the best fan support and facilities in the nation.

Kacar

Not sure if it was posted at all, but an Ohio State player went missing this week.

And now a body has been found in the campus area. No reports yet saying whether or not was him.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/11/30/body-found-near-ohio-state.html
What's strange about this is that the body was found fairly near to his last reported location. You think they would of already found it if it was him. The concussions and the fact that his family was worried about it make this even more distressful.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Players pissed at their coach being fired?! Whoa... That never happens! This is the most non-news story every written. The only time this was not true is Craig James sonofabitch kid at Texas Tech with the Pirate.

Well, they're pretty correct about him just biding his time until another job opens up. Petey was doing the same thing.

While I agree that Eichorst has no loyalty to Nebraska, it is silly to think he is just waiting around for a job to open up so he can jump ship. This is the real world we are talking about.

I think this is part of the problem though; these kids all love the coaching staff, which they should since they spend 4-5 years of their lives with them, but for all the talk about running through walls for them and other hyperbolic statements, what happened to actually playing a sound, fundamental game for them? What happened to fulfilling the assignments and game plan? If it's the players failing, so be it, but it's up to the coaching staff to coach the players. It's a mindset within the program; the players seem so complacent with winning 9 games a year against mediocre competition and consistently getting blown out against any real team on a national stage. Anyone who looks at this and just sees a 9-win a year coach and says "Why the hell would you fire them for that?" isn't looking at the program as a whole.

Co-signed. Going pretty much .500 against teams with .500 or better rankings is not good at all. Regardless of the whole 9-win consistency garbage.

Once again, never seen a fanbase or administration so fucking full of themselves.

We're in the goddamn middle of the prairie. It's COLD AS SHIT. And then you're not even in the only city in Nebraska with actual population, but out in the gas stop with the giant penis building known as Lincoln.

Now we've fired a second coach with a 9-3 record. People are still circle jerking over 1994, 1995, and 1997. Shit was 20 years ago. And it came after a decade of Osborne getting close but no championship.

The stuff said about fans was true. And the fans at the game don't fucking participate. Tons of blue hairs that just sit on their hands and don't make noise. All the actual loud fans are at the bars and home because they haven't inherited season tickets from people that watched Devaney's rookie season yet.

We're probably going to hire some old coach that while they could maybe win, we'll never build a program off them because they've got one foot in the retirement golf cart. If we're lucky, we'll get to the conference championship with Bo's recruits, everyone will pat each other on the back, Eichorst will get his Wiscy AD job for 'rebuilding a program', and everyone feels better about themselves for the next 10 years of 9-3 seasons.

This whole post reeks of bitterness. I go to multiple games reach year without season tickets, spend pretty much the whole game on my feet screaming and am never told to air down. The whole part about being in the Midwest is short sighted and stupid, too. There is no reason that Nebraska football fans shouldn't expect greatness out of their team. As has been stayed before, we recruit on average at the same rate as teams who routinely outperform us, or facilities are amongst the best in the entire country, we pay our staff amongst the top in the country, we are a traditional power house, and so on.

This is almost all about our coaching staff and much, much less about unreasonable expectations about our base, or apparent really low ceiling go forward and the fact that we should eat shit and like it. Fatalistic attitudes can GTFO.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Auburn has sacrificed it's DC, as if that will make a difference. Never gonna have a good defense with that offense.
Damn, hope they don't get Muschamp.

They didn't run much hurry up last night. Their offense had the ball some 35 minutes or so if I recall correctly. A competent DC ccould have made that a blowout in their favor.

tokkun

Oregon has something every other school in the Nation doesn't and that's Nike. It's idiotic to bring up Oregon and not mention the Nike influence.

Also comparing Stanford to Nebraska is night and day.

Wisconsin is a good analogy except that they have over 5 million people in the state where as Nebraska doesn't even have 2.

The point of all those arguments about Nebraska being cold and having a low population are about recruiting, right? If they are not about recruiting, let me know what the point is.

Yes, Oregon has the Nike money, but even so, they have not recruited significantly better than Nebraska.

Yes, Wisconsin has more people, but Nebraska has had much better recruiting, so what does that matter?

Yes, Stanford is a much different school, but the point is that they do not recruit well, but still achieve success.

I'm not saying I agree with this decision; there are also teams that recruit better than Nebraska who have performed worse. Michigan is an obvious example of a team in the same conference with much better recruiting and worse performance. And many might say that prematurely firing a coach based on excessive fan expectations is what got them there.

Chris R

Any estimated time of death? With the location being so close to his apartment you would figure hundreds of people looking for him would have found him sooner if he's been dead for days.

Either way, RIP.

Any estimated time of death? With the location being so close to his apartment you would figure hundreds of people looking for him would have found him sooner if he's been dead for days.

Either way, RIP.

Sound like when he went missing Wed, he was also found in a dumpster to likely why it took so long.

Chumly

Coaching changes always bring out the people on their pedestals. Nobody is fucking full of themselves. Nobody is living in the 90s. People want someone that can coach in big games. Trying to turn this around and blame it on the fans is ridiculous.
Sound like when he went missing Wed, he was also found in a dumpster to likely why it took so long.

Isn't that kind of suspicious that he was in a dumpster?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Coaching changes always bring out the people on their pedestals. Nobody is fucking full of themselves. Nobody is living in the 90s. People want someone that can coach in big games. Trying to turn this around and blame it on the fans is ridiculous.

Isn't that kind of suspicious that he was in a dumpster?

Not if he didn't want to be found easily. Get's in dumpster, shoots.

FyreWulff

The whole part about being in the Midwest is short sighted and stupid, too.

I love my home state and there's certain qualities about it you can't find anywhere else. I'm here right now. I miss it when I'm gone.

But until you live outside of Nebraska for a while, you just don't realize how fucking complacent it is. Half the damn year it's too cold to do anything outside. It's got one of the most segregated cities in the nation. It's spread out as fuck. Everybody smiles and holds the door for each other but past that there's no real big social scene. Our largest tourist attractions are a zoo (an awesome zoo), then a once-a-year baseball championship that's been converted to a bland corporate tourist note, and then not much else after that. I can nerd out over Ashfall and Indian Caves but I'm going to be honest when I can understand those are not top billing for most people.

I visit Lincoln regularly and that town is even more sleepy than Bellevue. If you think Omaha is socially dead, Lincoln is in the morgue. It actually has some personality to it unlike Omaha, but this due to having a bunch of people from out of state coming in as students with personalities.

It wasn't until I spent time in Vancouver, BC and Portland OR that I got a better idea of how life is here versus other places. Nebraska will always be a stepping stone to other places, not anyone's final destination. That's going to impact any football team's ability to recruit. When the biggest draw is a likable HC that fires up his players and you fire him, you don't have much else. So what they're probably going to do is hire someone with a 'brand name' to them because 'Nebraska' itself isn't a draw.

The 102nd Grey Cup is about to start on ESPN. Former college stars Bo Levi Mitchell and Zach Collaros face off to determine the best team in Canada!

My dad was getting excited about Scott frost and turner gill...... I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of turner gill. He would be a horrible head coach.

Turner Gill did have a winning season at Buffalo...

And now official it was him :(

l ‏@claywsyx6 3m3 minutes ago
Police confirm body found is OSU player Kosta Karageorge. Spokesman says appears he died of self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Wow sucks.

At least medically hopefully he is able to be examined for evidence of CTE. I know you or someone posted the family get texts from him stating he was feeling sick from concussions.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
marshall_hendersonauburn.gif

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Holy shit. Really? Hoke must have dirt on the new AD, too! He is a terrible coach (makes Pelini look like Nick Saban) and the program can command a lot more. Just speechless

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So Michigan didn't think they could compete with Florida and Nebraska for head coaching candidates?

I think the tOSU fans put the reverse jinx on Brady Hoke's firing. They acted like his firing would be a formality, and now its looking like he's staying for another year at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom