• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had any sort of photoshop skills, this is where a picture mixing Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator and Georgia Tech would go. Everyone, feel free to use your imaginations as to what it would look like.

@ESPNStatsInfo 21h21 hours ago
JT Barrett impact? OSU would be -4.5 vs WISC if he were healthy. Now WISC expected to open 2.5-pt favorite (Westgate Las Vegas Superbook)

In all the games Urban has been an underdog in at OSU he is undefeated.

I really, really hate thinking about it in this way, but I'm curious to see how Kosta's death impacts the team this week.

For better or worse, it could have a significant impact.

andycapps

If I had any sort of photoshop skills, this is where a picture mixing Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator and Georgia Tech would go. Everyone, feel free to use your imaginations as to what it would look like.

I feel like I would have a more active imagination if I went to Georgia Tech.

I'll probably post in the NCAA BB thread this week because of the B1G/ACC Challenge, but college basketball takes AGES to get truly interesting.

That's certainly why I haven't posted a bunch in there yet.

0e3.png

I like the trendlines he has at CSU. Plus the Bama fans actually seem to like to guy, which bodes well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There is talk about Georgia Southern trying to get a waiver from the NCAA to be able to go to a bowl game. For some reason, 1st year Div 1 teams can't go to bowl games, but they finished 9-3 and 8-0 in conference.

McElwain had reasonable success as a coordinator before going to Alabama, and to have an upward trend at CSU, including an 8 and 10 win seasons (and post Alabama) gives me more confidence that he can do alright.

Now, Muschamp might be a Saban Disciple, but I'll contend that Tubby and Mack Brown screwed him up.

That, or nothing can kill the curse of being a Georgia Bulldog ;P

andycapps

Now, Muschamp might be a Saban Disciple, but I'll contend that Tubby and Mack Brown screwed him up.

That, or nothing can kill the curse of being a Georgia Bulldog ;P

Ha, I think that Muschamp is a great coordinator but he either needs to build a great staff around him to be a good HC, or stick with being a coordinator.

If there's a good reason to keep first year teams out of bowls, I haven't heard it.

Make them pay their dues. Or something.

My understanding was the new guys wouldn't be eligible unless there weren't enough bowl eligible teams to fill all the bowl slots. It's also my understanding that there is no such shortage this year.

Ace 8095

There is talk about Georgia Southern trying to get a waiver from the NCAA to be able to go to a bowl game. For some reason, 1st year Div 1 teams can't go to bowl games, but they finished 9-3 and 8-0 in conference.
We should hear early this week the result of the appeal. Either way watching us win the conference outright Saturday night made this a very special year.

Ha, I think that Muschamp is a great coordinator but he either needs to build a great staff around him to be a good HC, or stick with being a coordinator.

It's that old school mentality too. Driskel was perfect in practice so he always got to play in the games, despite Harris energizing the team. Even Wuerffel sucked in practice. And clinging to a lead instead of opening up the offense. Plus thinking Pease was good.

The NCAA just keeps failing to justify its existence.

Lunar15

I think hiring Weis set the stage for offensive problems. I think that mistake lead to Muschamp having to continually scramble to keep a good staff around. Our offensive recruits went through multiple OC's and OLC's, and it showed.

Lonestar

Whereas I feel, he got saddled with a gigantic bust of a 5 star QB, and failed to hit on a quarterback recruit that would work. Should have just taken the 1st guy kicked out of Georgia. Those turn out to be decent quarterbacks.

Apparently the presser for Morris to SMU is at 4pm today. It's 2 mil a year, so it's surprising to me that he took the job. I don't know if 800k a year is worth it to coach that dumpster fire of a program, but maybe he just wanted to get back to Texas.

Either way, let the OC search begin! I can't imagine it'll be hard to convince someone to coach Deshaun Watson for 1.2 million bucks.

Lonestar

Apparently the presser for Morris to SMU is at 4pm today. It's 2 mil a year, so it's surprising to me that he took the job. I don't know if 800k a year is worth it to coach that dumpster fire of a program, but maybe he just wanted to get back to Texas.

Either way, let the OC search begin! I can't imagine it'll be hard to convince someone to coach Deshaun Watson for 1.2 million bucks.

If Watson's playing on a torn ACL, he's not going to be playing for very long.

jjasper

Shit Tennessee has had a tackle play all year without an ACL. Pretty much once its torn its torn. If you can handle the pain and swelling you will be fine........probably

I'm optimistic about the search. We've been pretty good on recruiting coordinators the last few years.

andycapps

QQ

You really think officials aren't watching for that shit?

Sure they are, but when cut blocks are done in much the same way over and over throughout the game, do you really think that some chop blocks aren't missed?

It's that old school mentality too. Driskel was perfect in practice so he always got to play in the games, despite Harris energizing the team. Even Wuerffel sucked in practice. And clinging to a lead instead of opening up the offense. Plus thinking Pease was good.

This is true. But, going with someone that practices well makes sense. I mean, you want to go with the guy who is showing you what you want to see, but on the other hand, if something isn't working, don't keep doing it hoping it eventually will. They needed to admit prior to this season even starting that the Jeff Driskel experiment was over. He's a bust.

Whereas I feel, he got saddled with a gigantic bust of a 5 star QB, and failed to hit on a quarterback recruit that would work. Should have just taken the 1st guy kicked out of Georgia. Those turn out to be decent quarterbacks.

:jnc

He couldn't resist dat AAC AAC AAC potential and power.

Draxal

Not surprising at all, he wanted to go home, and it's probably a stepping stone job for a B12 Texas school.

And it wouldn't surprise me if it's more than 2 million, you'll never know with a private school.

Lunar15

Haha, now they're saying that UF is calling Chip Kelly to gauge is interest. And of course, UF's UAA twitter says that all rumors of job offers (Freeze, McElwain) are false.

Coaching rumor mills are kind of ridiculous. At this point, I expect to see Saban pop up pretty soon.

Meier

This dude ain't handsome enough to be the #1 QB/player in the country.

1547749.jpg

Kind of amazing that he's going to UCLA rather than USC.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising at all, he wanted to go home, and it's probably a stepping stone job for a B12 Texas school.

There aren't really even any warm seats in the Big 12 Texas schools, though. BU and TCU's coaches will be there as long as they want, UT's coach just finished year one, and Tech's coach just got extended through 2020 last offseason.

Outside of some freak occurrence (scandal, surprise retirement, etc.), absolute 100% best case scenario for him going to a Big 12 Texas school is probably 2 years away. If he can turn SMU into a bowl team in 2015, a scenario I don't think is all that far-fetched at all, he'll probably have a pretty decent number of good job offers available to him outside of Big 12 Texas after only that one season that would be hard to turn down.

He has been wanting to get back to Texas for quite a while now, though, so he may have taken the SMU job knowing he'd likely not be hopping out of it to an in-state Big 12 school for a while.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Lane Kiffin's Iron Bowl playcalling sheet reflecting his half-time adjustment is for sale:

PLpA8ET.png

There aren't really even any warm seats in the Big 12 Texas schools, though. BU and TCU's coaches will be there as long as they want, UT's coach just finished year one, and Tech's coach just got extended through 2020 last offseason.

Outside of some freak occurrence (scandal, surprise retirement, etc.), absolute 100% best case scenario for him going to a Big 12 Texas school is probably 2 years away. If he can turn SMU into a bowl team in 2015, a scenario I don't think is all that far-fetched at all, he'll probably have a pretty decent number of good job offers available to him outside of Big 12 Texas after only that one season that would be hard to turn down.

He has been wanting to get back to Texas for quite a while now, though, so he may have taken the SMU job knowing he'd likely not be hopping out of it to an in-state Big 12 school for a while.

I think Sumlin at A&M will leave before any B12 coaches leave or get fired. I know A&M isn't in the Big 12 but its still one of the top 5 coaching jobs in the state.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sumlin at A&M will leave before any B12 coaches leave or get fired. I know A&M isn't in the Big 12 but its still one of the top 5 coaching jobs in the state.

If I were a gambling man my top two choices for the next major Texas jobs to be open would be A&M (Sumlin released after falling flat again) or Baylor (Briles retiring).

It's the trendy thing right now to say that Sumlin is nothing without Manziel, but with the talent they've been recruiting I can't count him out of being successful at A&M yet. Briles is an interesting one, as he can clearly stay at Baylor for as long as he wants, but he turns 59 in a couple of days and there have been rumblings out there that he has 62 circled as his retirement age.

This dude ain't handsome enough to be the #1 QB/player in the country.

1547749.jpg

Kind of amazing that he's going to UCLA rather than USC.

USC has seemingly been all about Ricky Town from the start. They also signed Sam Darnold another 4 star QB from California. That being said it is kind of interesting to see UCLA land the best QB in California, they have struggled with in state QB recruiting for awhile.

Lonestar

Our #1 QB Blake Barnett, is a bit of an odd looking cat. Like a mix of a kid and a man from the early 1900's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom