• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Draikin 2

Can anyone explain how I'm supposed to defeat that giant flower boss of the "Beauty" level on Hard difficulty? Because I don't get even close to defeating it in its second stage, where you have to shoot down the red flowers fast enough to prevent him from firing at you. Using Kinect I'm usually not able to take out all the flowers, and I'm also not fast enough to take out the projectiles it fires afterwards. Getting to the boss with full health is easy enough, but two hits is all it takes to kill you. The odd part is that after retrying the level a dozen times and not getting one bit closer to defeating the boss, I tried "Passion" on Hard and I completed that on my first try. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here?

Secondly I'm also having some problems with Kinect (the game isn't installed btw). It can't seem to track my hand when it crosses my body, so sometimes when I want to aim at the left side of the screen to lock targets the reticle gets stuck. Anyone encountered this problem? I tried reconfiguring Kinect but it's not helping.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ToyMachine228 said:
I think it's been out for two weeks in North America. And I don't think it's exactly selling well. It's not the type of game that will. And lots of games are getting online deals early after release these days.

You knew it was $40 at Toysrus the first week and passed on it. How low do you want it to drop? Plus, only the popular games have competitive deals early after release. The stores do the sales as a loss leader, don't expect it to happen with Child of Eden

FreeMufasa

Jeez, the wait for it to release on PS3 is killing me. This is going to be the first game i buy at full price in over 2 years.

Rez is one of my favourite games of all time. I haven't seen a single video of CoE but I know it's going to own me.

Aruarian Reflection said:
You knew it was $40 at Toysrus the first week and passed on it. How low do you want it to drop? Plus, only the popular games have competitive deals early after release. The stores do the sales as a loss leader, don't expect it to happen with Child of Eden

No, I didn't know it was $40 at TRU until like 8:00 on Saturday. Which was my fault. Now I'm just waiting for another deal to pop up before I bite as I have enough stuff to play at the moment but I do indeed want to get Child of Eden.

Anony

i think i finished it, there's only 5 levels?

i rather than 10 levels half as short as each of the 5 levels

the last level, 21 min clear time, wayyyyy too long, i got bored near the end

so what is there to do other than replay the stages and upgrade those options

This game is AMAZING! I love the music to the first level in particular, but it really is all good. I have to say I enjoy the game more with Kinect it just works really well.

Can someone explain to me how the boss on Level 5 is supposed to be beaten?

I keep on targeting the swirling stuff in the middle with my lock on, then the purple circle closes in, sends out missiles that I can never destroy, and I'm wiped out in 2 minutes and need to go back and start the entire level again.

What am I missing here???

yggdrasil

The Wise Old Man said:
Can someone explain to me how the boss on Level 5 is supposed to be beaten?

I keep on targeting the swirling stuff in the middle with my lock on, then the purple circle closes in, sends out missiles that I can never destroy, and I'm wiped out in 2 minutes and need to go back and start the entire level again.

What am I missing here???

Once the core opens up, there are two phases. First phase has red manta rays encircling the core; kill all those before the purple circle closes in. Second phase has giant cube-worms circling the core; again, destroy them before they can hit you. Because of the number of enemy hitboxes here, you can hit Perfects on every beat instead of every other beat, and playing that way will enable you to destroy the boss before it ever unleashes one of those unbeatable volleys.

Lots of people have had trouble here. Don't give up!

You don't even need to hit perfect octolocks on the enemies surrounding the core, since they don't give you any points. Just kill them as quickly as possible and you'll have plenty of time before the purple ring closes.

iconoclast said:
You don't even need to hit perfect octolocks on the enemies surrounding the core, since they don't give you any points. Just kill them as quickly as possible and you'll have plenty of time before the purple ring closes.

Thanks folks. Looking forward to beating this tonight. Campaign is waaaaay to dammned short though. Even with all the unlockables.

8bit

Knows the Score
So, completed it. Liked when the shots became a bit more strategic (purples then reds, also the running men). Could do with never hearing Heavenly Star again though.

Liking the Hope archive, but it's like a weird Rez tribute by someone with access to a bank of offkey samples from the original. It scratches an old itch, but someone needs some new drugs.

Finished one run through. sold it off and will rebuy for replays when its cheaper.

Overall, its a sequel to Rez...that means you get awesome music + visuals + gameplay, but that its also about the same size of package-- 5 levels and some optional challenge stuff at the end. This retailed for $50, Rez retailed for $50, but somehow, these days, this feels overpriced.

It's a great experience and a must for Rez fans. I like to measure things by quality and not quantity, but this does feel like it came up short. Could've used more levels, for starters. The last level in this game is not a step up in difficulty and length like each of the other 4 stages before, so it doesn't even feel like a real level. Maybe some other unlockables to make it more appealing.

The live action chick in the background is really, really, super corny. I liked how Rez's story was pretty simple, but this feels closer to the "hammer over the head" approach. That damn girl is in your face every 5 seconds and of course, she's all over the ending, singing heavenly star for the trillionth time in a japanese video game (that single is years old, Mizuguchi needs to get over it.) I prefer the minimal approach of Rez...no live action humans in my synaesthesia game, please.

The gameplay and music is all you should be concerned with anyway and both are good. The gameplay is better than Rez, thanks to cooler forms your have to kill and the addition of the purple machine gun thing. Some enemies can only be hurt by it and not the lock on, so that adds variety.

The music is a little mixed. Its at its best when its mostly electronic. Its at its worst when its american-style power chord rock (like say, the crappier, awkward songs in Lumines that try to imitate reggae, rock, and other live genres.) Thankfully, there isn't much bad music.

Great game, but I'd wait for $20, which should happen soon.

I was going to buy the Genki Rockets album as MP3 off Amazon, but they don't sell to outside of the UK apparently. Is there a reliable, well-stocked place that sells internationally? Otherwise I'll have to ask a friend to buy the actual album.

Also looking for the singles. There's "Curiosity" and "make.believe", any others I should look for?

Special J

Banned
this makes me happy

G2P8J.jpg

Smision said:
Finished one run through. sold it off and will rebuy for replays when its cheaper.
I'm not really understanding the point of this. You purchased the game at full price, played through it once and then sold it? Couldn't you have rented it? Why not just keep it now and replay through the levels for the unlockables/achievements? The achievements add a lot of replay value imo.

Unless you're waiting to get the PS3 version in September?

Seems that the game is doing well in NA at least, likely strongly helped by yesterday's deal.
Gamasutra said:
This week's charts, with data taken from June 30th, 2011, find Child of Eden heading multiplatform sales stateside, while Steins;Gate and its sequel continue to rank among Japan's biggest sellers.

Data for "Saling The World" comes courtesy of the public sales information on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.co.jp, with sales split out for each platform and territory, and pre-orders disregarded. This results in a true sense of what games are selling worldwide on the real-time updated service, as follows:

Multiplatform
North America: 1. Child of Eden (Ubisoft, X360), 2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo, 3DS), 3. Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Ubisoft, X360), 4. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft, Wii), 5. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision, X360).
Source.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, I just paid $50 this week. :\

Then again, this is definitely one of those rare games that I feel justified in supporting. Hopefully it sends a positive message to the publishers.

feel

Finally played this game, extremely cool experience!! :O

I can see people (specially REZ fans) enjoying this immensely with just a controller, but for me there's no contest, kinect's "I am a cybernetic GOD" hand-waving badassery all the way!! It just responds so well, it makes me forget about the device and I get so into it that I keep catching myself doing overly dramatic gestures as I play, instead of just the necessary motion, just like the little kids do lol. The responsiveness of the cursor on the xbox guide when you have to sign in is embarrassing in comparison to the ingame one, MS better make the rest of the xbox catch up to this precision when the XNE2011 comes out.

Wish I could just boot this from the harddrive for a quick session without having to put the disc in.

edit-
Forgot to mention how everything looks so damn beautiful... just wow

Including that Lumi girl, so gorgeous! I like letting the game sit there on the "garden" with her floating and stuff floating around her, sweet screensaver.

yggdrasil

Has anyone seen these Sprouty Bean Cars replace the regular enemies in Passion? I found them on Hard mode, and hadn't 100%'d the first area.

335548275.jpg

SimonM7

Letters said:
Finally played this game, extremely cool experience!! :O

I can see people (specially REZ fans) enjoying this immensely with just a controller, but for me there's no contest, kinect's "I am a cybernetic GOD" hand-waving badassery all the way!! It just responds so well, it makes me forget about the device and I get so into it that I keep catching myself doing overly dramatic gestures as I play...

Actually, I'm a massive Rez fan, and for me that very fact made this into the exact opposite. I barely see any point in COE if it *wasn't* for Kinect. That allows this to be a truly meaningful successor to the "synaesthesia" concept Mizu was going for initially (which prompted the transvibrator, et all) and with a controller this just feels like a visual update to what I've been playing regularly - across three platforms - for the last 10 years.

WITH Kinect however, I couldn't agree more. You hit the nail on the head about the dramatic gestures. I'm completely flipping out flailing my arms around, getting so caught up in it that the whole movement/sound/visual fusion intent becomes a tangible thing. Manipulating this game with your bare hands really embodies it as an experience, effectively forging it into the next step on Mizu's trippy endeavours to merge music and interaction, rather than reducing it to a visually stunning step backwards.

yggdrasil

Well, I think I've had enough of this game for the time being. Finally cleared Hope and finished the 100% unlocks and Garden achievements. Still missing the 800k and 100% achievements for Hard - nothing makes me feel my age more than the difficulty I have with these levels. Also pretty frustrated that all the Garden unlocks do nothing when playing music from the HDD, as suggested by the manual. Did anyone ever figure out if the Garden creatures actually affect ripped music?

Just finished the first level... pretty cool, like Rez on crack. Weird that the game doesn't default to 5.1 like all other 360 games. Playing with the controller because I don't have a Kinect, but I plan on borrowing one from a friend and replaying it. I see you can set vibration on all 4 controllers, I am guessing for a trance vibrator type of experience. They should have made one for this game since people playing with the Kinect miss out on the good vibrations. :p

SimonM7

SlaughterX said:
...people playing with the Kinect miss out on the good vibrations. :p
They still vibrate though, so you could tape them together and make a vibrating controller hat. Or just stick a few in your undies.

But yeah, I miss the transvibrator really. The vibrating controller never really gave the same sensation, and I never really found vibrating controllers in my hands "enjoyable" per se, suited mostly for impact and taking damage, not necessarily providing a source of rythm or a beat. I sorta reckon having something strapped to your chest would do a good job. Some sort of rythm bra. I mean I bet people catching a glance of my flailing about in the window already think I look like a boob, so let's just go those extra few yards. :)

yggdrasil said:
Has anyone seen these Sprouty Bean Cars replace the regular enemies in Passion? I found them on Hard mode, and hadn't 100%'d the first area.

335548275.jpg

I haven't seen those, but in stage 5 on Hard I did see some weird looking doll flying around. I killed it and it added to my purification percentage too.

yggdrasil

iconoclast said:
I haven't seen those, but in stage 5 on Hard I did see some weird looking doll flying around. I killed it and it added to my purification percentage too.

Cool, which part? It seems that there are some easter eggs in Hard...

overcast

I think I may wait longer to get this. Since it's dropping in price at a quick pace. Which is good for me, but sad to see :\

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FYI, this game is part of Best Buy's buy 1 get 1 free on select Kinect games tomorrow. The game is $49.99 but you can get a game like Dance Central for free.

mujun

I completed level 1 and 2 last night. Playing with Kinect.

It's much more fun than I expected, I never played more than a minute of Rez, not my type of game.

The combination is what makes it for me, music+visuals+Kinect controls. I'm not the type to do score runs for hours on end anyway, so playing with the less precise control method is fine.

Looking forward to checking out the next level.

M_A_C

Mark me down for another person amazed at how well this works with Kinect. It's amazingly precise and quick.

8bit

Knows the Score
Playing it now on Hard with the trip effect on Kinect and enjoying it, but I'm still a bit bitter about the music. So if anyone at Ubi is reading, please reach out to folk like Coldcut, Ken Ishii & Oval at the very least and ask them to rework the music into a remix version of the game.

I promise to buy it again. I've bought Rez three times anyway.

abq

M_A_C said:
Mark me down for another person amazed at how well this works with Kinect. It's amazingly precise and quick.
Semi-off topic, I'd be somewhat interested in a Space Channel 5 with Kinect as an optional control method.

finally tracked down an asian version, and my initial impressions are that it's kind of weirdly difficult :/ i say this as someone who could probably play rez start to finish blindfolded purely by touch and sound.

also is it possible to play this with kinect sitting down, because i'm not having much luck...

7echnicolor said:
I'm not really understanding the point of this. You purchased the game at full price, played through it once and then sold it? Couldn't you have rented it? Why not just keep it now and replay through the levels for the unlockables/achievements? The achievements add a lot of replay value imo.

Unless you're waiting to get the PS3 version in September?

bought for about $25, sold for $34, will rebuy it when its very cheap.

i don't have a place to rent from and won't use gamefly because their envelopes scream "steal me."

Top Bottom