• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

meppi said:
They must have read the EGM review and realized the game sucks and isn't worth to be released on disc, thus lowering the price so at least some suckers will pick it up.

Can you tell I'm pissed about that shitty review? ;)
*reads*
Sweet jesus. No wonder.

Whatever about Kinect*, playing with a controller isn't responsive enough?
The drops are random and not skill based?

angryWill.gif

* Perfectly responsive when in the right setting & calibrated.

meppi said:
They must have read the EGM review and realized the game sucks and isn't worth to be released on disc, thus lowering the price so at least some suckers will pick it up.

Can you tell I'm pissed about that shitty review? ;)

Hahaha, this review is completely embarrassing. Complaining about the lack of checkpoints? The controls aren't fast or responsive enough to keep up with the challenges? Health and Euphoria drops are randomized (they're not)? People like this should not be writing about games.

meppi

I wanted to write a rant about the whole thing, but this sums it up more than perfectly:
iconoclast said:
People like this should not be writing about games.

Also, I shouldn't be paying to read such utter crap in this day and age.
If I wanted to read these kinds of shitty reviews, I'd visit dudebro blog #678392.
Been getting very frustrated with the path the new magazine has taken over the last year and it's come to the point where I'm not going to resubscribe due to BS such as this.
Every single issue I seem to get annoyed by at least one of these jerks spewing garbage such as this. SMH

Varion

Amazon UK Email said:
Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"Child of Eden - Move Compatible (PS3)"
Estimated arrival date: September 30 2011
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat

As if it isn't late enough after the 360 version, they go and move it right to the tail end of September so I'm not even going to have time to play it. Typical. Suppose I'll keep my order because of the £19.99, but it's going down to super saver.

Special J

Banned
wow child of eden grabbing top spot on amazon again. i am questioning reality.

(top 5 are kinect games >_<)

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_1

Zeouterlimits said:
Something weird is going on.
The PS3 version has dropped to £20 on Amazon.co.uk

Still full price on the US stores. Keyser in the Cheap Ass Euro GAFfer Thread guessed it might be going XBLA (or more likely GoD I'd say).

game is actually under xbla file size limit, and xbla games tend to sell alot better than games on demand but then the achievements are what actually may prevent it from going on xbla since it has 1000 gp instead of the typical 200 gp for xbla games.

fernoca

Well, Amazon has(had?) a buy 1 get 1 free on Kinect games so that kinda explains the Kinect games. Ironically, this game is not a full Kinect game; but was still included in the offer.

My friend ordered 2 copies for $44.99 with free shipping; so $22.50 for Child of Eden in our case! :)

FreeMufasa said:
Yeah i've decided i'm going to get the PS3 ver. for now and pick up a cheap 360 copy if I ever get Kinect.
Buy you can play the Xbox 360 version now, without a Kinect, play with the regular controller and if you ever get a Kinect; then play it with that too.

Unless you just prefer the Dual Shock. :p

Special J

Banned
ya im aware of the sale but still who in the hell actually thought this game would sell.

if someone told me this would hit #1 not once but several times i'd call you batshit insane.

FreeMufasa

fernoca said:
Buy you can play the Xbox 360 version now, without a Kinect, play with the regular controller and if you ever get a Kinect; then play it with that too.

Unless you just prefer the Dual Shock. :p

Whoops. Meant to say pick up a 360 and Kinect.

I still can't believe we actually got a Rez sequal/successor.

Just got my copy from Amazon. Should get to play it this weekend. Looking forward to it. I'll be playing without Kinect, as I don't own one.

Coldsnap

Can you get to Lumi's Garden? Beat the game on normal, I keep choosing Lumi Garden rewards but I cannot for the life of me find out where they go to so I can look at them. Are they just screen shots and art?

Shaneus

Coldsnap said:
Can you get to Lumi's Garden? Beat the game on normal, I keep choosing Lumi Garden rewards but I cannot for the life of me find out where they go to so I can look at them. Are they just screen shots and art?
Lumi's Garden awards are things that fly around on the menu screen in the background :)

binary

I thought I wouldn't enjoy this game as much as Rez since all the music was from Genki Rockets, but I love this game! The music has been remixed nicely. If you were one of those people who was hesitant to buy Child of Eden because of Genki Rockets, fear no more.

I'm really getting into the game and going for high scores now. I thought I was the man yesterday when I got 3 stars on Matrix and Evolution and today I'm achieving 4 stars easily. HA! 5 stars tomorrow?! When you realize that that the bonuses are dependent upon firing with the beat the game becomes transcendent and I'm playing with a controller! I can imagine how much more immersive and satisfying this game is with Kinect.

big_z

finished the game on normal tonight. looks nice but a bit uninspired and feels like youre playing a promotional game for a genki rockets remix disc.

my biggest disappointment was the music, parts of it sounds cool but a lot of it is just noise. the sound effects are never ending, overpower the music and dont flow well with the beat. when half second voice samples are tossed in it's usually at it's worse, it becomes grating. compared to rez the sound in this is just chaos.

maybe things will come together more once i learn the enemy patterns and things flow more naturally but right now to me rez was a better game in all respects.

Coldsnap

This game gets infuriating when you are going for the 5 stars. Especially when you are forced to find the non existence beat during the ambient parts or when the game breaks it own rules about Octo lock on.

Coldsnap

ToyMachine228 said:
Haven't started the game yet. What do you think about the achievements? Are they all relatively obtainable or what's the story?

They are fun, gives you a lot of content to go through

Rahxephon91 said:
So I just broke down and bought it since it was $30 in-store at Gamestop. Played through the first two levels, so far it's pretty cool.

If I had waited one more week I could have saved myself $15. God damn it.

Doodis said:
Child of Eden only sold 34,000 in NA in June according to Joystiq. :(

It's not the type of game that's going to sell well. Reviews could hail at is the greatest game of all time, and it wouldn't sell well because it doesn't appeal to a mass audience and is hard to market. That said, it did outsell Shadows of the Damned...Both Child of Eden and Shadows of the Damned are going to live forever as cult classics.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Proof that trippy somewhat short, but replayable "experiences" are fucking BALLER through DD and shit at retail.

they should just sell this as digital download.

is there a gamestop in NYC? I will buy this for $30 when I get there - just googled and found out that this was region free

conman said:
Proof that hardcore titles won't sell on Kinect?
Hmmm, don't think so. Sad thing is that it probably would've sold even less without the Kinect angle. This title was never expected to do amazing, and there's been nothing but doubt as to how well something like this could do given how different it looks from everything else. Rail shooters have rarely sold very well in the post-arcade console era and this didn't have the benefit of being more broadly appealing to many hardcore gamer's expectations of more realistic/militaristic themes and visuals in their shooters. This game's sales shouldn't beg any questions except for the ones asking about the decision to go to disc at retail.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can this game be the 'end' of the tedious Genki Rockets promotional train, Mizuguchi seems obsessed with pushing? Seeing that same track and video that was just plopped into Lumines again into this years later, the otaku-ish obsession with this made up girl Lumi and more (the intro felt like an hour long...), the whole thing failed to make the kind of abstract impact Rez did.

None of the music even approaches Rez's OST, I guess thats the Sega pools of audio talent to thank for that. i also greatly missed the meta game of the lock-ons sounding different depending on the player avatar you were upgraded to. Also its a lot harder to judge "how big is a missile before it hits" than "missile is about to hit on screen player model". Predictably, nothing matched Area 5, apart from a clear attempt with... Passion I think the level was, for lightning to strike twice. With better music it might have come close. Area 5 is like perfection in audio/visual synchronisation.

A sequel to Rez was always going to be a hard one, but I wish it'd been more of a gameplay innovation in the way control affects music than a waaaay too visually busy, yet also a little vapid re-tread.

Played through the first two levels and got 3 stars on both but the third level didn't open up. How do you open new levels? Haven't had much time to play or to look into it as I have a friend staying with me right now.

ToyMachine228 said:
Played through the first two levels and got 3 stars on both but the third level didn't open up. How do you open new levels? Haven't had much time to play or to look into it as I have a friend staying with me right now.
Your stars total unlocks levels.

It's stupid.

Pie and Beans said:
Can this game be the 'end' of the tedious Genki Rockets promotional train, Mizuguchi seems obsessed with pushing? Seeing that same track and video that was just plopped into Lumines again into this years later, the otaku-ish obsession with this made up girl Lumi and more (the intro felt like an hour long...), the whole thing failed to make the kind of abstract impact Rez did.

None of the music even approaches Rez's OST, I guess thats the Sega pools of audio talent to thank for that. i also greatly missed the meta game of the lock-ons sounding different depending on the player avatar you were upgraded to. Also its a lot harder to judge "how big is a missile before it hits" than "missile is about to hit on screen player model". Predictably, nothing matched Area 5, apart from a clear attempt with... Passion I think the level was, for lightning to strike twice. With better music it might have come close. Area 5 is like perfection in audio/visual synchronisation.

A sequel to Rez was always going to be a hard one, but I wish it'd been more of a gameplay innovation in the way control affects music than a waaaay too visually busy, yet also a little vapid re-tread.

agreed pretty much completely - after 3 stages, i flat out do not dig this game. it's nowhere near as good-looking as rez in terms of aesthetic sense, the gameplay is basically identical except with a camera that you have to maintain and the music is mostly terrible. even kinect adds nothing beyond complexity, though maybe i need a bigger TV?

rez is one of my favourite games of all time, so i am at least able to play it on that level, but it's a pretty huge disappointment so far.

I like the game in general and I'm surely going to play more but I was pretty disappointed by the final level. The final level in Rez was absolutely mind blowing. In this it's pretty lackluster. I did however, find the fourth level to be pretty great. The whole
mechanical city and machine theme
caught me off guard and was great. Good variety.

Any tips for achievement hunting and racking up high scores?

bubnbob

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I like the game in general and I'm surely going to play more but I was pretty disappointed by the final level. The final level in Rez was absolutely mind blowing. In this it's pretty lackluster. I did however, find the fourth level to be pretty great. The whole
mechanical city and machine theme
caught me off guard and was great. Good variety.

Any tips for achievement hunting and racking up high scores?

kill all enemies. maintain x8 score. dont suck.

andylsun

I was going to wait for the PS3 version, as that's my primary console, but went into Gamestop today and saw the new price. Bought!

Just played the first level and really enjoyed it, going to play it tomorrow with the surround cranked.

Thanks for the tip in the OP that it's set to stereo by default - same as Rez HD.

In a way...I'm kind of disappointed with Child of Eden. It's definitely not worth paying full price for the content that you get. I don't feel like replaying the levels as much as I do with Rez HD, which I still fire up and play a quick level every once in a while. I'm sure I will play it more, but I don't really feel compelled to. I sit down to play it and all I can think of is...I don't really want to play this.

Tadale

I picked this up from the Best Buy B2G1 sale, and I finally took the time to play it.

I was very impressed with the kinect controls; the cursor felt very responsive compared to every other kinect cursor I've seen. Playing with good headphones and the kinect sensor has been a real joy, and I'm sad that more people haven't been able to experience this game. $30 is a very good price, I think.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, its probably been three week since I last played this. About to go through it again, and I'm really excited. This is always the best time with these games, I've already put through the grind, so I'm good at it. But its not fresh anymore.

Top Bottom