• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Just got this and played through the first area, Matrix. Very good. First impression is that I feel like it is not only a real sequel to Rez, but one that is more confident in what it is, more like Rez than Rez. Still not getting kinect for it, don't see the point in that.

More Fun To Compute said:
Just got this and played through the first area, Matrix. Very good. First impression is that I feel like it is not only a real sequel to Rez, but one that is more confident in what it is, more like Rez than Rez. Still not getting kinect for it, don't see the point in that.
You can't out-Rez Rez, son

As of today I can proudly say that I joined the group of people that have all the achievements and 1K in this game. It wasn't an easy task but all the time that I spent with the game was very rewarding. I can honestly say that I've never be more proud of 1K than I'm with Child of Eden. Amazing game, insanely hard to get 1K but it's the first game that I never got angry with :)

LiK

H3rTz DoNuT said:
As of today I can proudly say that I joined the group of people that have all the achievements and 1K in this game. It wasn't an easy task but all the time that I spent with the game was very rewarding. I can honestly say that I've never be more proud of 1K than I'm with Child of Eden. Amazing game, insanely hard to get 1K but it's the first game that I never got angry with :)

*bows*

bubnbob

Banned
H3rTz DoNuT said:

It doesn't sound hard, only because we didnt know how to get 100% on levels. Once it gets figured out, it will be common to earn... but great job nonetheless. I felt the same when I 1000'd Vanquish.

bubnbob said:
It doesn't sound hard, only because we didnt know how to get 100% on levels. Once it gets figured out, it will be common to earn... but great job nonetheless. I felt the same when I 1000'd Vanquish.

I hope you gonna say the same thing when you done with gold stars on Hard mode :) There is pretty much nothing to figure out, getting 100% on each level is very simple, you just have to kill everything before it leaves the screen. 100% and 800K alone are really easy, it's different when you have to combine those two runs in one gold run on Hard :)

goldenpp72

H3rTz DoNuT said:

I wish I could say I never got angry, lol. The thing with child of eden is that I felt no sense of progression after some points, like, when I was playing NG2 on master in mission mode, I'd get a little further each time and eventually figure out tricks and what to do, child of eden wasn't quite nearly as difficult, but it was even worse when you say, know what to do and have it all down pat, but one tiny little thing would take out your gold star. Examples included me perfecting all of journey but missing the first boss purification and not even knowing that was possible, then once I figured that out, I somehow missed a light on the tree, one time I didn't even know I missed anything and I still did, lol.

The game did this to me SO much that it was infuriating, I actually think that most of the game is rather easy to gold star in terms of just points and survival, it's the mechanics for purification that cause the stress and imo, this could have been done a lot better. Some improvements would be that all enemies always spawn at all times unless it's entirely obvious why they don't (flowers in beauty), rather than being able to miss enemies in area 1 of level 1 because you didn't kill some others in time. As well, for the parts where purification is based on killing things that turn into bullets, imo as long as you shoot down the bullets it should at least give you the purification (perhaps not the score as a penalty).

Simply put, getting purification is a process of pure annoyance at times, simply because you don't always know why you didn't get it, and when you do, it's sometimes a poor mechanic or at least that's how I'd see it. I would say the worst offender is definitely the couple parts where the purification process is destroyed simply because something fired off on you.

The process would be less stressful if the hud allowed you to see an overall purification vs what is possible up to the point you are, as often times you're so into the game you might not notice if you got 100 in one area, it would be nice to see a small breakdown of each section so you at least know you're doing fine up to the point you are. Still, little niggles, but that kind of stuff really infuriates me, shit, I remember celebrating to myself when I beat level 5 because I was positive I got 100 percent, but seeing '99 percent' after the long credits sequence was like, what the fuck?

Great game, really fun to score attack, but purification was the weak side to the design imo as it kind of required you to actually slow down at some spots, while other times penalize you for going too slow, I like to know exactly why I failed when I do fail, but perhaps it was a personal issue, heh.

I would personally really like them to patch in a couple things, replays on the leaderboards, a hud adjustment for purification per area even after you clear it, the other stuff I'd not have them change just because I had to suffer through it and so should you all :p I can say though, that I can't recall a game that I felt was so hard yet so easy, I really feel I can destroy each level without any issue, yet somehow I'd end up missing something and it made me want to choke something out.

H3rTz DoNuT said:

Congrats!

goldenpp72

LiK said:
there's an end to it? aw, was hoping it was an endless mode.

It will feel like it's endless if you aren't very good, the filter looks horrible anyways, makes it look like the game is running a 10 pixel image in 1080p

yggdrasil

goldenpp72 said:
It will feel like it's endless if you aren't very good, the filter looks horrible anyways, makes it look like the game is running a 10 pixel image in 1080p

Oh, is it like the Tile mode from Rez HD? I rather liked that, but it is certainly hard to play. That's a little disappointing that the visualizations from CoE don't come close to touching those from Rez.

I'm confused about damage. How you take damage? Is it when enemy touches your reticle or when you don't kill them and they go out of screen?

MirageDwarf said:
I'm confused about damage. How you take damage? Is it when enemy touches your reticle or when you don't kill them and they go out of screen?
Generally when a pink/purple missile thing hits the screen.

LiK

MirageDwarf said:

purple enemy bullets.

Gold starred all of Normal mode. The only level that took me more than two or three tries was the first one, because I kept missing one enemy on the final section... but yeah, I didn't think that was hard at all. Gonna start up Hard mode later tonight or tomorrow. (depending if I get SotD from Gamefly today)

H3rTz DoNuT said:

...well I'm angry with you. I don't believe I will ever get 1000 with this game. Controller, yes?

Alx

Finally tried the game, and played the first two levels... I liked it a lot, but for the moment it's not at the same level as Rez : I didn't feel the same visual fascination as with the wireframe/flat shaded style. And I also prefer the electronic music of the first episode ; it also made it easier to follow the rhythm at the beginning of the levels (I find it hard to get the right timing when the music is too soft).

Otherwise everything is great. I like the evolution of the gameplay, with the use of the 2 hands, different targets, the combo system, even the cheesy appearance of Lumi when you score... I thought clearing the first two levels was rather easy, I managed to have 4 silver start on my first run for each one, and 5 stars on my second run on the first level.

I may want to try it on a bigger screen, now. I usually play my HD games on a projector, but it's difficult with kinect games because the sensor would have to be far from the console. I didn't bother to do it for sport and dancing games, but CoE may be worth it.

Coldsnap

Anyone else play it one day and havn't came back to it since? I feel like that would be a common thing with this game. I need to play more this weekend.

Coldsnap said:
Anyone else play it one day and havn't came back to it since? I feel like that would be a common thing with this game. I need to play more this weekend.
After beating it I haven't felt particularly compelled to go back. I'm not a score attack kind of guy. I should probably fire it up this weekend too, just for fun.

Oh, so I got this speech at gamestop when I bought this yesterday. You know, the stereotypical "gamestop employee imposing his unwanted opinion about the games you are buying" shtick.

He said he was a fan of Rez but didn't like this. Played the first 3 levels last night...how the hell could you be a fan of Rez and NOT this?! This is the sequel and it lives up to it completely. He also complained about the length, but I'm sure I'll get at least 10 hours out of replaying it, perfecting it, and showing it to people.

but Mizuguchi needs to come up with a new single...getting sick of Heavenly Star or whatever its called in every Japanese game. and the live action girl is just very cheesy.

LiK

Smision said:
Oh, so I got this speech at gamestop when I bought this yesterday. You know, the stereotypical "gamestop employee imposing his unwanted opinion about the games you are buying" shtick.

He said he was a fan of Rez but didn't like this. Played the first 3 levels last night...how the hell could you be a fan of Rez and NOT this?! This is the sequel and it lives up to it completely. He also complained about the length, but I'm sure I'll get at least 10 hours out of replaying it, perfecting it, and showing it to people.

but Mizuguchi needs to come up with a new single...getting sick of Heavenly Star or whatever its called in every Japanese game. and the live action girl is just very cheesy.
Those employees should know that we dont give a shit what they think of a game.

Got this game on day one but have yet to finish.

Has anyone figured out what the surprise is when you play custom music if you unlock and level up all the Lumi's garden unlockables?

FatCat

I'm reaaaally tempted to buy this game. No money to spend as of now so I'll wait till the price drops in Europe. Then getting high will have an all new meaning.

LiK said:
Those employees should know that we dont give a shit what they think of a game.

bingo!

FatCat said:
I'm reaaaally tempted to buy this game. No money to spend as of now so I'll wait till the price drops in Europe. Then getting high will have an all new meaning.

yes. make sure you are fairly blazed before playing.

Coldsnap

Cant get more than 80% cleared on first stage, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm missing some kills from having them locked on but waiting for the appropriate beat to release.

Gold starred all of Hard now. I'll probably clean up the last few achievements tomorrow for the full 1000/1000.

Great game, but I didn't think it was all that hard. It just takes a little bit of practice.

yggdrasil

Coldsnap said:
Cant get more than 80% cleared on first stage, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm missing some kills from having them locked on but waiting for the appropriate beat to release.

I've been preparing a gold star guide; below are the percentages you should have at each stage milestone. Please let me know if this is helpful.

Area 1 - Kill enemies quickly or they don't all spawn
First 3 Waves: 37%
Health 1: 51%
Euphoria 1: 70%

Area 2 - Kill worms first
Health 2: 45%
Health 3: 91%

Area 3 - Music Box - allow all red blocks to spawn worms
Euphoria 2: 10%
Miniboss 1: 23%
Health 4: 36%
Miniboss 2: 53%
Miniboss 3: 84%

Area 4 - Speedway
Gate 1: 19%
Gate 2: 43%
Gate 3: 55%
Gate 4: 74%
Gate 5: 87%
Gate 6: 100%

Area 5 - Boss
Health: 4%
Spinning Lights: 23%
Worms: 61%

EDIT: GAF's list tool appears to be broken. Sorry this is so ugly.

SimonM7

First of all, I'm profoundly moved by a game every.. maybe five years on average. It can come from any direction really, and the oddest thing that moved me to near-tears was the ice level in Loco Roco. Mizu holds the record for me with Space Channel 5, Rez and Lumines all having that special culmination where I just feel so god damn lucky to be a gamer that I tear up from pure joy.

I barely got 10 minutes in here before I had that moment. Softly whipping my hand and slamming into these abstract shapes while the music builds is an incredible sensation. The way you sweep your hand over them, pull it back and thrust it forward, getting that aureal feedback, it's just... It's some sort of privilege. It's so impossibly removed from any sensation you get anywhere else, be it any other medium or any other experience, period. I believe the closest thing I can think of is having one of those tennis rackets with the ball attached by a rubber string, only this is infinitely less crude because you're not holding on to a thing that "grounds" you in "reality". It's remarkably easy to convince yourself that you're interacting directly with the elements inside of CoE.

As was the case with Lumines and the PSP, Kinect is pretty much my CoE thingymabob now. I'm perfectly comfortable with the thought of it never doing anything remotely worthwhile again because as far as I'm concerned it's pretty much justified its existence.

That said, I do have a small issue with the way the Kinect tracks your arm. Perhaps somebody can help me circumvent this. When you hold your arm straight forward it gets your elbow and hand confused and the tracking "jumps". Effectively, whenever I sweep the reticule in the middle of the screen it "hops" slightly in the middle. I can work around this by adjusting my stance and "pose", but if there's a setup that someone's found avoids this issue alltogether I'd be interested to know.

I'm pretty much flipping out playing this anyway.. like somebody said already, it's impossible to sit still, it just absorbs you fully and before long you're flailing about like some kind of airbender. Although the motion is essentially pushing forward to fire locked on projectiles, you can sorta twist your arm or your wrist to sorta "spiderman" it or slap it or push it or swing it or whatever. When you get into it it really is a bit like you're freeform splatter painting to music.

And man it's difficult to describe anything about this game without getting into advanced masturbation and/or petting techniques terminology.

Anyway, I shall return to it.

I'm a sad panda. I thought I could use the 'feel the eden' or whatever the invincibility's code is called, just so I could see all of Hope. But of course it's not locked unless you beat it. >=(

Gotta say, not real happy with the game right now. I honestly think I'd rather play Rez any day of the week.

Coldsnap

yggdrasil said:
I've been preparing a gold star guide; below are the percentages you should have at each stage milestone. Please let me know if this is helpful.

Area 1 - Kill enemies quickly or they don't all spawn
First 3 Waves: 37%
Health 1: 51%
Euphoria 1: 70%

Area 2 - Kill worms first
Health 2: 45%
Health 3: 91%

Area 3 - Music Box - allow all red blocks to spawn worms
Euphoria 2: 10%
Miniboss 1: 23%
Health 4: 36%
Miniboss 2: 53%
Miniboss 3: 84%

Area 4 - Speedway
Gate 1: 19%
Gate 2: 43%
Gate 3: 55%
Gate 4: 74%
Gate 5: 87%
Gate 6: 100%

Area 5 - Boss
Health: 4%
Spinning Lights: 23%
Worms: 61%

EDIT: GAF's list tool appears to be broken. Sorry this is so ugly.

Ah cool thanks

Justinian

Just discovered a great way to play using kinect with vibration. Forget straping controllers over your body - just hold a controller backwards in your left hand so you can reach the start button. Not only will you get vibration, but you can also quickly pause the game or press back (which prevents the controller turning off for levels longer than 15 mins.

From a gameplay experience perspective it also feels like you are holding the tracer weapon when you lift it up and aim. There are no issues with kinect detection or accuracy either.

The game is absolutely phenomenal. I've played it for a week non-stop and see myself coming back again and again.

Surprised there hasn't been a price drop or any major sales for Child of Eden yet. I guess that could be a product of it shipping in limited quantities.

Alx

ToyMachine228 said:
Surprised there hasn't been a price drop or any major sales for Child of Eden yet. I guess that could be a product of it shipping in limited quantities.

Why ? It's been out for a week...

Alx said:
Why ? It's been out for a week...

I think it's been out for two weeks in North America. And I don't think it's exactly selling well. It's not the type of game that will. And lots of games are getting online deals early after release these days.

Untracked

ToyMachine228 said:
I think it's been out for two weeks in North America. And I don't think it's exactly selling well. It's not the type of game that will. And lots of games are getting online deals early after release these days.
I don't think it did particularly well in the UK last week either. According to Edge it failed to make the Top 20 in a chart dominated by Zumba Fitness, but this is the All-Format Chart and Child of Eden is only available on 360.
To be fair, it wasn't released untill the end of last week here, so hopefully it does better this week, it deserves to.

Top Bottom