• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any youtube videos of insane expert level playthroughs yet?

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Jtwo said:
Are there any youtube videos of insane expert level playthroughs yet?

I don't know a lot about technical aspects of video games so I don't know if it would have been possible to do with Child of Eden, but I feel they should have added the option to download replay videos of people at the top of the leaderboards like in Rez HD. That helped me improve my Rez scores a lot.

madmackem

So then, its been out a few days now a few questions i have. Is it worth full £40 price tag, and would you buy it if you didnt have kinect.

LiK

madmackem said:
So then, its been out a few days now a few questions i have. Is it worth full £40 price tag, and would you buy it if you didnt have kinect.

i bought it full price and i don't have Kinect. LOVE IT.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I didn't play at all yesterday since I was feeling kind of burned out.

Just played a few levels.. feels good, man.

Mmh, I've read a lot of love comments in this thread, but having completed the game today (with a controller) I can say I'm pretty disappointed.

Essentialy, it's Rez 1.8, not an involution but definetily not a step forward:
  1. Levels, encounters and bosses are the same (I won't spoil anything);
  2. Gameplay got worse with the addition of the "double ammo", missiles are easily recognisable, but enemies not so much;
  3. Gameplay in general got really, really worse; in Rez I had this feeling of, like, creating the music. Child of Eden feels like "Planck", "Polynomial" or "Beat Hazard" where the music runs but you don't have the "control" of it;

And by personal taste, Rez music shit on CoE music.
But this I think 3. is accountable for.

SPOILER regarding endgame:
The "level" of Project Journey just before the credits reminded me the of Vanquish.
If the photos are actually genuine I'd say it's a nice touch, I liked it.

goldenpp72

Alessandro said:
Mmh, I've read a lot of love comments in this thread, but having completed the game today (with a controller) I can say I'm pretty disappointed.

Essentialy, it's Rez 1.8, not an involution but definetily not a step forward:
  1. Levels, encounters and bosses are the same (I won't spoil anything);
  2. Gameplay got worse with the addition of the "double ammo", missiles are easily recognisable, but enemies not so much;
  3. Gameplay in general got really, really worse; in Rez I had this feeling of, like, creating the music. Child of Eden feels like "Planck", "Polynomial" or "Beat Hazard" where the music runs but you don't have the "control" of it;

And by personal taste, Rez music shit on CoE music.
But this I think 3. is accountable for.

SPOILER regarding endgame:
The "level" of Project Journey just before the credits reminded me the of Vanquish.
If the photos are actually genuine I'd say it's a nice touch, I liked it.

Totally disagree, while I prefer the music and tone of rez, the gameplay is what makes COE a better game, it's a lot more complex and I never personally had a single problem with understanding what is expected of me in terms of simply winning, and when going for the achievements you understand how much more depth the game has over rez, which was a terrible score attacking game.

eso76

having completed level 2 i must say i just had an epiphany. Or whatever you spell that.

I'm absolutely loving it.
Oh, and i think the music is better than Rez's.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jtwo said:
So I didn't play at all yesterday since I was feeling kind of burned out.

Just played a few levels.. feels good, man.

I didn't play much over the weekend but now coming back for gold stars. Feels awesome, just like Rez. I'm in this for the long run

Finally got gold stars too, wee

goldenpp72 said:
Totally disagree, while I prefer the music and tone of rez, the gameplay is what makes COE a better game, it's a lot more complex and I never personally had a single problem with understanding what is expected of me in terms of simply winning, and when going for the achievements you understand how much more depth the game has over rez, which was a terrible score attacking game.

As I said, the music is totally a matter of personal taste. It's not that CoE music is bad per, is how it has been implemented.

But the "double ammo" can't be considered an improvement; not as a game mechanic per se, but because most of the time you - well, I - can't tell the difference with encounters.
There are encounters that are easily recognisable, but sometimes with Bosses states I couldn't tell wich one ammo was the best.

Why introduce a new mechanic when in Rez you had the same button for everything - and worked perfectly?

Pete Rock

After mulling it over, I believe I would be willing to pay substantial sums of money for a game with these mechanics driven by Shpongle albums and psychedelic art. Self dribbling jeweled basketballs, fractal owls, electron microscope photography spinning into geometric hallucinations, yes!

Also more curious puzzle or branching elements in the sense that you could always go through the game with middling success/performance, but there would only be one "right" way and that would substantially affect the flow of the level(s) rather than just your final score or opportunity for score, which I feel is a bit shallow considering that mechanic was identical in Rez.

I suppose that's a nice way of saying I preferred the music and visual themes from Rez but I still really appreciate this title. I don't dislike J-pop or whatever the Rockets are classified as, but I don't have any inherent attraction to it other than the fact that like most things Japanese, it is ridiculous and can be appreciated in that context alone.

The videogame industry would be so much more interesting to me as a whole if they could begin to tap into the creative energy exhibited in this title, it is almost overwhelming.

goldenpp72

Untracked said:
Can you watch people's replays from the leaderboards like you could in Rez HD?
Need all the help I can get here!

Nope, what is your issue? I posted a help post a page back but if you have a specific problem I can try to give you advice, lol.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can't say much about game's quality, I only played it a couple of minutes, but it worked amazingly well. Kinect redeemed.

Untracked

goldenpp72 said:
Nope, what is your issue? I posted a help post a page back but if you have a specific problem I can try to give you advice, lol.
Shame I used to like that feature in Rez.
I was just trying to figure out which enemies I was missing for 100% Purification on Matrix, but I've just done it!
Thanks for the offer though, I'll be sure to bother you if I need any more tips!

Coverly

I know it was a short game, but after a week I finally finished it last night. I wasn't doing too well with Kinect and had to do some of the levels several times (like passion) so I switched to the controller but then I did worse!

Finally yesterday just messing around I went back to kinect and for some reason it all clicked and finished the game. Where is this archive level you guys keep talking about, how do I select it?

Coverly said:
I know it was a short game, but after a week I finally finished it last night. I wasn't doing too well with Kinect and had to do some of the levels several times (like passion) so I switched to the controller but then I did worse!

Finally yesterday just messing around I went back to kinect and for some reason it all clicked and finished the game. Where is this archive level you guys keep talking about, how do I select it?
I didn't see it at first but it should show up looking like a sphere, where all the others are.

goldenpp72

Untracked said:
Shame I used to like that feature in Rez.
I was just trying to figure out which enemies I was missing for 100% Purification on Matrix, but I've just done it!
Thanks for the offer though, I'll be sure to bother you if I need any more tips!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28746827&postcount=1387

That post has most common places to miss enemies.

And do you mean hope archive? It unlocks like any other level would, it's purple I think.

Untracked

Coverly said:

I really struggled with the Passion Boss using a pad, too many purple shits, but using Kinect I had no problems.
If you're talking about the Hope Archive it's the dark purple sphere. It's added to the archive select menu when you've beaten the first 5.
Edit: Beaten!

goldenpp72 said:
Awesome, thanks.

8bit

Knows the Score
You guys! Someone might have warned me that the first sequence was pretty much a direct sequel to Rez!

It's past midnight on a tuesday and I'm trying to figure out how to buy lsd from silkroad with bitcoins via tor.

(Music is a bit wanky so far though)

goldenpp72

There, 1000/1000 entirely, with like 302 stars and 20 hours of progress, lol.

Great game, will be shelving it for awhile now though, burnout entirely to a point I feel like hanging up the towel for hardcore gaming for a bit, heh.

LaneDS

goldenpp72 said:

Great game, will be shelving it for awhile now though, burnout entirely to a point I feel like hanging up the towel for hardcore gaming for a bit, heh.

Damn, respect for that one. I haven't even started my hard playthrough yet. Will tomorrow with the arrival of new receiver and headphones though.

Blu10

I picked up the Kinect the day it came out to play the sports and dancing game with my female friends (little did I know, she actually prefers LA Noire), and since then I have been waiting for a "real" game to play with the kinect... is this it? Btw, I'm a huge music fan, and do dabble in a bit of techno... will I be completely turned off by the music?

goldenpp72

Blu10 said:
I picked up the Kinect the day it came out to play the sports and dancing game with my female friends (little did I know, she actually prefers LA Noire), and since then I have been waiting for a "real" game to play with the kinect... is this it? Btw, I'm a huge music fan, and do dabble in a bit of techno... will I be completely turned off by the music?

It's probably in the top 3 uses of kinect that you can get right now, it's also challenging and awesome, I didn't dislike the music but it did go a bit on the deep end near the end, lol.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
goldenpp72 said:

Nice. That's why I haven't been playing that much, I don't want to burn myself out that fast. Will be spreading my runs so I don't feel sick of the game

goldenpp72

Kinect sports and dance central, I also own a couple others but those are the most impressive titles that make great use of the device, with COE ranking in the top 3 merely because of how accurate and responsive it is. I grew to prefer the controller because i'm lazy but the kinect functions are good and apparently, comparable to the controller because the leaderboard has some people seeing sweet victory using kinect as well.

Wario64 said:
Nice. That's why I haven't been playing that much, I don't want to burn myself out that fast. Will be spreading my runs so I don't feel sick of the game

I for sure will come back to the game at times since it was very refreshing, but at least in terms of the gold stars it took me awhile to find my groove and once I find that, I like to make sure whatever i'm hoping to gain from it is accomplished so I don't have to find it again later, heh. I do it with most of my harder games like getting 1250 out of ng2 or 1000 in vanquish, but for games that are on the more sane side I pace them a bit better.

goldenpp72

Blu10 said:
Done, and bought. Thank you.

Hope you like it, be sure to spend a few minutes in the options menu to make sure everything is setup how you'd like, you can adjust the smoothness and speed of the kinect cursor as well as enable the surround sound if you happen to have that (odd they don't detect it like they should from the system menu) Also make sure not to install the game as all the bug reports have seemingly stemmed from doing so.

The next time I return to this game it will be to use kinect with it more, but once I started score attacking with the controller I was determined to win and didn't want to relearn it using kinect, ah well.

This is pretty much a spiritual experience for me right now. I was a fan of Rez but this a way more focussed and deeper game. To say I feel a connection is putting it lightly. :)

That said, I'm not so keen on the graphical style and j-pop, especially when compared to Rez. But I love a good crescendo and breakdown as much as the next man... so I'm smitten.

Patient (OCD?) as I am, I decided to play the game as a high score challenge and I've been hammering level 1 alone for the past few nights now. As of now I'm 52nd in the world with 972k. And I still feel there's room for improvement. It feels so good!

Initial reports of this not selling well make me wonder if there are any real gamers left out there? Or are they not interested in using their brain for anything other than playing the latest brown FPS? It genuinely worries me.

bounchfx

so I just went and bought a kinect and the game. I was a huge fan of Rez. I was skeptical about the kinect.

30 minutes into buying and setting it up, I'm regretting my purchase. I'm sure the game is great, but this is fucking awful so far. problems I'm having include simply even controlling my cursor, shooting takes a LOT more arm work than should be required, the only way it recognizes me firing is if my entire arm and body swoop forward, and even then I usually have to do it 3 or 4 times in order for it to register.

then there's kinect's pausing system. Really? basically useless.. it'd be faster to grab a controller and hit start.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It feels wrong. I don't have the calibration paper since I bought it used (thank god I can return it just in case), but I'll print one out and try calibrating it and seeing if that helps. the only thing that's improved my experience so far is by tilting the kinect sensor up a little so it evens out my cursor and I dont need to point my hands at a downward angle. Kinect says it can't see me and yet it works better that way. go figure.

the WORST problem I'm having while playing is trying to keep the fucking screen focused. changing hands basically flips the entire screen around and it just geeks out at most motions. I've tried all 3 speeds. none are really 'better', but fast is the least annoying.

sigh, I just needed to vent, I've been wanting to get this for a while and now I feel like I regret it. Ugh. time to try it with a controller, I guess. I'll do the calibration thing in a little.. doubt it'll help much.

Does the kinect work better when there's light on my front side? I wanted to turn the lights down/almost off to play the game in (since it feels like that's how it's meant to be played), but I have a feeling the kinect will require it to be bright as hell in my room.

AHHH

Kinect works off infra red so light makes no difference. Sounds like you need to calibrate, though.

(disclaimer: I use the standard controller)

Coldsnap

goldenpp72 said:

Did you do this on controller or kinect? Gonna sound like a total bitch here but I tried to play yesterday but my right arm was sore from playing it most the weekend. It doesn't help that I am a very active person in the gym and outside so either my arms or back is in a perpetual state of soreness. So I've started using a controller because of this.

goldenpp72

Coldsnap said:
Did you do this on controller or kinect? Gonna sound like a total bitch here but I tried to play yesterday but my right arm was sore from playing it most the weekend. It doesn't help that I am a very active person in the gym and outside so either my arms or back is in a perpetual state of soreness. So I've started using a controller because of this.

Controller most of the way, I used kinect my first few times playing it not really knowing that using the pad, it plays just like rez, so I just stuck to that. Funny enough I barely tried to go for scores beyond what was needed for achievements, but I managed to get in the top 5 on many levels for awhile (not sure where I am now). GT is goldenpp75 if you happen to check the leaderboards.

That guy trubluebomber or whatever is a beast though.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I've been enjoying this a lot, mostly using the controller but every once in a while using Kinect. It has the same certain je ne sais quois that Rez has, although I do like Rez's music a bit better overall. Truly amazing visuals and design.

Also, is it just me, or is the 5.1 mix not nearly as impressive as Rez HD's? I enabled 5.1 in the menu and it still seems a lot tamer than I would like in terms of all-enveloping sound.

goldenpp72

Yeah the lack of replays when rez had them was kind of mind boggling, perhaps they wanted to make it harder for people to finish the game, I felt the game was a lot more punishing than rez by far.

Sydle

bounchfx said:
so I just went and bought a kinect and the game. I was a huge fan of Rez. I was skeptical about the kinect.

30 minutes into buying and setting it up, I'm regretting my purchase. I'm sure the game is great, but this is fucking awful so far. problems I'm having include simply even controlling my cursor, shooting takes a LOT more arm work than should be required, the only way it recognizes me firing is if my entire arm and body swoop forward, and even then I usually have to do it 3 or 4 times in order for it to register.

then there's kinect's pausing system. Really? basically useless.. it'd be faster to grab a controller and hit start.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It feels wrong. I don't have the calibration paper since I bought it used (thank god I can return it just in case), but I'll print one out and try calibrating it and seeing if that helps. the only thing that's improved my experience so far is by tilting the kinect sensor up a little so it evens out my cursor and I dont need to point my hands at a downward angle. Kinect says it can't see me and yet it works better that way. go figure.

the WORST problem I'm having while playing is trying to keep the fucking screen focused. changing hands basically flips the entire screen around and it just geeks out at most motions. I've tried all 3 speeds. none are really 'better', but fast is the least annoying.

sigh, I just needed to vent, I've been wanting to get this for a while and now I feel like I regret it. Ugh. time to try it with a controller, I guess. I'll do the calibration thing in a little.. doubt it'll help much.

Does the kinect work better when there's light on my front side? I wanted to turn the lights down/almost off to play the game in (since it feels like that's how it's meant to be played), but I have a feeling the kinect will require it to be bright as hell in my room.

AHHH

Sounds like you haven't calibrated it or used the Kinect tuner to make a profile of you for the lighting conditions you're in. I can fire with a small push of my hand. As for keeping the screen focused, I've found that switching your hands is best when you bring them pretty close together for the switch. It's pretty natural and smooth.

Coldsnap

goldenpp72 said:
Controller most of the way, I used kinect my first few times playing it not really knowing that using the pad, it plays just like rez, so I just stuck to that. Funny enough I barely tried to go for scores beyond what was needed for achievements, but I managed to get in the top 5 on many levels for awhile (not sure where I am now). GT is goldenpp75 if you happen to check the leaderboards.

Ah cool, glad to see that a high level of play can be achieved with the controller.

goldenpp72

Coldsnap said:
Ah cool, glad to see that a high level of play can be achieved with the controller.

I'd guess that in the end, controller level play will net higher scores than kinect simply because it's a lot easier to time a button release to music than it is to sync an arm motion.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ubi is running a contest right now, requires Kinect and a Twitter account. You get to meet Ne-yo for grand prize (lol) but if you get a higher score than his score, they'll donate a dollar to Japan relief, which is cool.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/child-of-eden/ubisoft-and-rb-superstar-ne-yo-team-up-for-child-of-eden-project-hope/190935124289371

"From now until July 4th, Ubisoft will add an additional dollar donation for each score higher than Ne-Yo’s score of 306,800 on the Evolution archive’s “Normal Kinect” online leaderboard, up to a $20,000 max. During that time, players can then snap a photo of their qualifying score and Tweet it with the “#childofeden” hashtag. Then, when the contest concludes, Ubisoft will randomly select one of the qualifying scores from the Twitter submissions to win a chance to meet Ne-Yo in person.

Project Hope begins today, June 20th, and runs throughout the U.S. and Canada until July 4th. "

yggdrasil

goldenpp72 said:

He was a beast at Rez HD too. I was hoping he was here on GAF.

What's the final Visualizer, and how do you unlock it? I'm just starting to get my 800k+ scores on Normal after finishing the game on Hard. Also, I'm missing The Cleaner achievement - do the enemies late in Hope count?

Edit: Just got The Cleaner. I was missing the purple human, who'd'a thunkit?

JaggedSac

Got the game a couple hours ago. Pretty awesome stuff. Really enjoying so far. Most responsive Kinect controls so far. Visuals and sound are awesome. Can't seem to hit the beat consistently though.

LiK

Wario64 said:
Ubi is running a contest right now, requires Kinect and a Twitter account. You get to meet Ne-yo for grand prize (lol) but if you get a higher score than his score, they'll donate a dollar to Japan relief, which is cool.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/child-of-eden/ubisoft-and-rb-superstar-ne-yo-team-up-for-child-of-eden-project-hope/190935124289371

"From now until July 4th, Ubisoft will add an additional dollar donation for each score higher than Ne-Yo’s score of 306,800 on the Evolution archive’s “Normal Kinect” online leaderboard, up to a $20,000 max. During that time, players can then snap a photo of their qualifying score and Tweet it with the “#childofeden” hashtag. Then, when the contest concludes, Ubisoft will randomly select one of the qualifying scores from the Twitter submissions to win a chance to meet Ne-Yo in person.

Project Hope begins today, June 20th, and runs throughout the U.S. and Canada until July 4th. "

Kinect required? i'm out. meet Ne-Yo? wish i cared, lol

Saw footage of this at GameStop while I was in GameStop buying Shadows of the Damned today and wanted to buy it so bad but...Still waiting for a good sale, promo or price drop. Keep me updated people!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This is hands down (waved?) the coolest game I've played all year. Woa. Though the levels are long and I'm pretty tired and haven't even beat the first one yet haha.

Top Bottom