• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese actress gets big Hollywood roles, No one knows why

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyMel

So she has a couple of roles in Hollywood movie and now there are conspiracy theories as to why? Sounds like a combination of racism, xenophobia, and misogyny.

Kinyou

220px-John_Boyega_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

rs_560x415-150623094935-1024-spiderman-tom-holland.ls.62315.jpg

What qualifies as a "foreigner"?
In Hollywood, non-native English speakers I'd say.

Social

When I was watching Kong, I remember saying to my wife that the asian girl couldn't act for shit. So yeah, I googled her after the movie to see why this woman gets to be in big movies. It eventually let me to this big discussion about pretty much everything in the OP.

kswiston

Someone at Wanda likes her, or she has family connections. Wanda owns Legendary. All her Hollywood roles are recent Legendary films.

This happens all the time in Hollywood. Look at Armie Hammer.

Oh, your Chinese friends said it? Obviously everyone in China knows everything about the Chinese film industry. Just like American gaffers know all about how Hollywood works
they have no clue

No one is hiring your goofy ass to be in a movie, connections or not
Also, connections can be made.

would be a better actor than you :p

orochi91

This just seems like nepotism, but I can't knock her for that, especially since the only reason I've had jobs is through connections/family/friends.

She isn't doing anything wrong.

Look if Hollywood could spend time trying to make Justin Long a thing, I am ok with someone trying to making this lady a thing (not just because I find her attractive BUT because if it means these movies like Pacific Rim and Kong are financed if she is in them, I am fine with that).

Usobuko

Banned
I know Jing Tian and I am not even from China.

First time I saw her was in that awful Jackie Chan movie where she play his daughter. I think I saw her in a Donny Yen movie too.

She's not really unknown imo.

marrec

Banned
Sophie Turner

"Anyone from Game of Thrones that auditions will be given preference" is likely a mandate throughout Hollywood, that show's popular as hell.

How the fuck did anyone think Loras Tyrell should play Danny Rand if not because he was in Game of Thrones.

Also don't you fuckin hate on Sansa Stark I'll stab you

LiK

She is a good actress? I've only seen her in Twilight and she was fucking awful in it.

Apparently she's good in everything else except the Twilight series. Heard she was good in her debut movie as well as some other films after Twilight.

Bulzeeb

aren't all those movies from the same company? maybe she knows some higher up from legendary or something and they want her to be the face of the company until a new pretty face appears

28 is not old.

didn't you know, once you finish high school you are just a few steps away from the grave

Apparently she's good in everything else except the Twilight series. Heard she was good in her debut movie as well as some other films after Twilight.

I never saw twilight, and he only movie I saw with her was that snow white and the huntsman and she was awful, a plank had more charisma than her in that movie

Koodo

Banned
Let's question the poc actress and not the 4828374th untalented straight white male that Hollywood tries to force down our throats for seemingly no redeeming performance metric other than the residue of a white patriarchal power structure.

Well yeah they're all by the same company. They're obviously trying to push her. She was wasted in some of her roles, though. She barely had any dialogue in Kong: Skull Island for example.

Hawke is still not a movie star. He's more interested in doing indies, and the few blockbusters he's been in have been supporting roles, actually.

Haha yup. I love the absurdity of that scene in Transformers of Stanley Tucci drinking soy milk or the random chases in Hong Kong, China, or Korea in basically every single summer blockbuster action movie.

Independence Day: Resurgent was the worse though. The Chinese pandering in that film was awful.

Not really, his movies aimed more towards women like The Vow, Step up, Dear John, etc. Always did bank. With him basically blowing up with Magic Mike and 21 Jump Street.

Worthington and Kitsch on the other hand, one got blessed by the magic Cameron touch than disappeared and the other basically went from not even supporting roles to leading three.

Looking at his box office though, he hasn't had a real big hit since 22 Jump Street though. He's done a few fine indies though.

kswiston

Let's question the poc actress and not the 4828374th untalented straight white male that Hollywood tries to force down our throats for seemingly no redeeming performance metric other than the residue of a white patriarchal power structure.

If you read the article, this is from a Chinese entertainment gossip perspective. I don't think they particularly care what non-Chinese people appear in Hollywood films outside of a few big stars that are popular there.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Looking at his box office though, he hasn't had a real big hit since 22 Jump Street though. He's done a few fine indies though.
He's clearly at the "work with directors you admire" stage of his career.

His last string of movies was Wachowskis, Tarantino, Coens, Soderbergh.

This just seems like nepotism, but I can't knock her for that, especially since the only reason I've had jobs is through connections/family/friends.

She isn't doing anything wrong.

I mean, it is kinda wrong. But everyone conveniently forgets that until a minority does it.

Slayven

"Anyone from Game of Thrones that auditions will be given preference" is likely a mandate throughout Hollywood, that show's popular as hell.

How the fuck did anyone think Loras Tyrell should play Danny Rand if not because he was in Game of Thrones.

Also don't you fuckin hate on Sansa Stark I'll stab you

I only seen one ep of Game of Throne, and decided I was good

SRG01

At first I thought this was going to be a thread on Angelababy... she was in quite a few Hollywood movies for about a year with barely any screentime.

Guy from popular television show gets big movie roles? One of which made by the guy that ran that television show? Weird. Must be some shennagans. Kitsch filmed John Carter just after ending his commitments for Friday Night Lights, and then almost immediately did Battleship. Which gave him time to film Savages before those two movies showed that he wasn't box office gold after which his movie roles get considerably smaller again.

Neat. Still doesn't change my statement in the slightest, Hollywood really tried to push him/force him to be a "thing".

Actors/Actresses from popular TV shows get passed over all the time and never get the push he does.

I mean, it is kinda wrong. But everyone conveniently forgets that until a minority does it.

Different rules for different groups.

Game Of Thrones, man. That show is a wellspring of mediocre actors that have some name recognition and that Hollywood can pay relatively little to star in their franchises.

I'm not gonna lie, I hate that this is the likely reason that Emilia Clarke was chosen for Terminator: Genisys. I know it's a big dumb action movie and was aimed squarely at fans of the franchise (and it hit that nail so hard) but she was the least imposing Sarah Conner post-T1 ever.

It pained me even more when I learned that they were considering Tatiana Maslany for the role and it didn't happen. I feel like she would have even been a better fit than Lena Headey was for TSCC, and that's something I don't say lightly.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Once GOT ends, you're probably not going to be seeing much of the actors again.

He's clearly at the "work with directors you admire" stage of his career.

His last string of movies was Wachowskis, Tarantino, Coens, Soderbergh.

Helps that he's been keeping the overhead down too, since his two bigger pictures flopped. But everything else seems to be decent to well.

Valhelm

contribute something
My girlfriend is Chinese and really hates this girl. She's pretty unpopular, and a lot of people over there think she sleeps around for parts. No idea if that's credible or not.

Chromax

My ex was her classmate back when they both attended Beijing Film Academy (class of 07) and I've met her once when they were out shopping. (A nice person from our brief encounter)

She is indeed related in someway to the higher ups at Wanda or maybe even Wang Jianlin himself.

Joni

Neat. Still doesn't change my statement in the slightest, Hollywood really tried to push him/force him to be a "thing".

Actors/Actresses from popular TV shows get passed over all the time and never get the push he does.

And I don't see any evidence he was pushed into being a thing. He had two big blockbusters, one because he played Riggins on Friday Night Lights and the producers thought he would be a great John Carter, and one because he played Riggins on Friday Night Lights and the producter liked working with him so he picked him for Battleship. He was pushed in that these two blockbusters were hyped as fuck. Because they were blockbusters. Not because they were pushing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom