• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Dunk#7 said:
That scale seems to be swayed in the direction of good deeds.

Good thought + Good deed = 10-infinity good deeds

Bad thought + Bad deed = 1 bad deed

Why isn't a bad thought plus a bad deed equal to 10-infinity bad deeds?

And this belief requires God to have a piece of chalk in one hand and an eraser in the other.

Nazarenes, in particular, believe this. I was raised in the Nazarene church, and this was easily the most difficult thing I was led to try and believe. I do not. My belief is that, if you truly seek conversion and confess your sins, you're forgiven and the blood of Christ is sufficient enough to cover you as you try to live your life in a worthy manner. As we are all human, and therefore, fallible, we all will continue to fall short of Heaven. The difference is that, in doing so, we acknowledge these failings and turn them over in our prayers and work then to live more holy lives. By that limited measure, I believe our works matter, that we effort to live more holy, Christ-like lives and acknowledge through our prayers when we fall short...

So... how are the services in your Church?

Here in the Methodist Church I (called El Divino Salvador - The Divine Saviour?) the service on Sundays starts at 11:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. or 2:30 p.m. depending on the ocassion.

We start with some old-school hymns, piano only for about 15 minutes... then we pray. Then the Praise Singing starts for about 45 minutes... it's like rock-ish Christian music. Then the testimonies, then the offerings, the announcements of the birthdays of the week, etc... then the Worship Singing starts and it lasts like 45 minutes... it's like rock ballads.

Then after that, it's the turn of the Pastor for about an hour.

As you can see, we are a very singing Church!

JCRedeems said:
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."
Rom. 3:22, "even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction."
Rom. 3:24, "being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;"
Rom. 3:26, "for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus."
Rom. 4:16, "Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all."
Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
Rom. 5:9, "Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him."
Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith."
Rom. 9:33, "just as it is written, “Behold, I lay in Zion a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, And he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.”
Rom. 10:4, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
Rom. 10:9-10, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; 10for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."
Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."
Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."
Gal. 2:21, “I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”
Gal.3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."
Gal. 3:8, "And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "All the nations shall be blessed in you."
Gal. 3:14, "in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."
Gal. 3:22, "But the Scripture has shut up all men under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe."
Gal. 3:24, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith."
Eph. 1:13, "In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise."
Eph. 2:8, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God."
Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."
1 Tim. 1:16, "And yet for this reason I found mercy, in order that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience, as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life."
you should know better then to throw those different "usage of the word faith" in those passages. all verses having the word "faith" has its different origins in the original greek.
words are not equal when you go back to the original text
john 3:16 passage of "belief" simply means "to think to be true"
rom 3:22 passage of "faith" means "a strong and welcome conviction"

with those two passages alone, you can apply those to fallen angels.
but go ahead and preach that salvation without repetance will guarantee you salvation.
thats playing with fire. are you truly redeemed if you dont repent?

Dunk#7

Is anybody interested in Christian hip-hop/rap?

I have always searched for a talented Christian rap group or an individual, but I can never seem to find anything that seems to be very talented.

Hip-Hip/Rap music is one of my vices, but it is generally due to the overall sound of the music and not so much what is being said. I enjoy the music so much more when the song has a story to tell or up uplifting in its message.

The Lamp

Dunk#7 said:

I have always searched for a talented Christian rap group or an individual, but I can never seem to find anything that seems to be very talented.

Hip-Hip/Rap music is one of my vices, but it is generally due to the overall sound of the music and not so much what is being said. I enjoy the music so much more when the song has a story to tell or up uplifting in its message.

Ever heard of Lecrae?

So Christian GAF. I'm not a Christian, nor do I ever think I will be. Was raised in a religious home (father is a Pastor). But purely because I find the whole topic of religion interesting (and also wanted to learn about the civil rights movement) I've been reading up on MLK, Jr. Let me tell you, some life lessons to be learned. Thought I'd recommend his book Strength to Love. It's some good reading and you might learn a thing or two.

Dunk#7

viakado said:
you should know better then to throw those different "usage of the word faith" in those passages. all verses having the word "faith" has its different origins in the original greek.
words are not equal when you go back to the original text
john 3:16 passage of "belief" simply means "to think to be true"
rom 3:22 passage of "faith" means "a strong and welcome conviction"

with those two passages alone, you can apply those to fallen angels.
but go ahead and preach that salvation without repetance will guarantee you salvation.
thats playing with fire. are you truly redeemed if you dont repent?

It is true that you have to be careful with the English translations. Always take anything you question back to the original greek or hebrew because there are simply words in those languages that we do not have a direct one word translation for.

Ex. love

We have one word for love, but Greek has more than one word for love. Each one describes different levels of love. Agape is one that I know is used along with others.

Dunk#7 said:

artists in my library that you should check out:

The Cross Movement (solo artist albums from: Ambassador, John Wells, Phanatik)
da' T.R.U.T.H.
Everyday Process
Flame
Lecrae
New Breed
Rhema Soul
Sho Baraka
The Tunnel Rats
116 Clique

Dunk#7 said:

sometimes for me, but mostly i listen to bubblegum music like Hillsong united.
Fernando Rocker said:
I love this song from Delirious? called My Glorious... they actually play that song at my Church (in Spanish)... I think they are from the UK...

I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZacGBUtij4
not bad. heres mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyeVhfBI7U
hosanna by selah

Dunk#7

The Lamp said:
Ever heard of Lecrae?

I actually have not been very passionate about searching for talent either. I was really just looking for a handout lol.

I remember looking into it awhile back, but I didn't look into very many groups.

I will check out your recommendation. Thank you for the name.

Dunk#7

Dreams-Visions said:
artists in my library that you should check out:

The Cross Movement (solo artist albums from: Ambassador, John Wells, Phanatik)
da' T.R.U.T.H.
Everyday Process
Flame
Lecrae
New Breed
Rhema Soul
Sho Baraka
The Tunnel Rats
116 Clique

Thank you for the list. Hurray for new music!!

I will have to check these out.

Fernando Rocker said:
So... how are the services in your Church?

Here in the Methodist Church I (called El Divino Salvador - The Divine Saviour?) the service on Sundays starts at 11:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. or 2:30 p.m. depending on the ocassion.

We start with some old-school hymns, piano only for about 15 minutes... then we pray. Then the Praise Singing starts for about 45 minutes... it's like rock-ish Christian music. Then the testimonies, then the offerings, the announcements of the birthdays of the week, etc... then the Worship Singing starts and it lasts like 45 minutes... it's like rock ballads.

Then after that, it's the turn of the Pastor for about an hour.

As you can see, we are a very singing Church!

Anyone?

JCRedeems

Banned
Dunk#7 said:

I listen to Lecrae. He also has a powerful testimony found on Youtube.

Dunk#7

Fernando Rocker said:

I attend an independent baptist church.

We are baptist in doctrine, but are not affiliated with other churches.

My church is very missions focused. We partially support 100+ missionaries around the world. Several of them came right out of our congregation. Most of those are in the Dominican Republic starting up a Christian school and running a church down there.

I went on a couple mission trips when I was in high school to Chile, Mexico, and Arizona. We tend to go on one mission trip a year and the kids that go must raise their own support through fund raisers. We tend to always go to a location in which we already have a missionary planted and we work along side of them for about 10 days.

It is great to get out of your comfort zone and out in the mission field. It really opens your eyes.

In regards to our worship services:

We open up with music. We do a little of both contemporary and old gospel music. Keeps various generations happy. Too many churches get hung up on tradition and not what the Bible says. Contemporary music in and of itself is not bad. You have to listen to what is being said.

We then collect the offering and the pastor preaches for roughly one hour.

After the main service everybody attends various sunday school classes that are much smaller groups. Generally separated by age or stage in life.

On Wednesday nights we no longer do a large main service because we have switched to small group studies. These all meet at various houses depending on which group you are in. You can choose any group that you wish and these are generally more of a discussion based setting. This keeps everything much closer knit for a large church and allows for more accountability between the members.

Dunk#7 said:
Thank you for the list. Hurray for new music!!

I will have to check these out.
some of their better songs (so that you can get an idea of what to expect):

Ambassador - Gimme That - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxTBvRNYbI

Rhema Soul - Spotlight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-z8yLm6fDg

Da TRUTH - Satisfied - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIXmG_JeKs

Ambassador - One Two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo3BKOus55I

Phanatik - Shot Clock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXQQ0_hiyI

Everyday Process - Holla At Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ccwwbf8QG0

New Breed - Dry Bones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmiwjH3y5QA

Lecrae - Take Me As I Am - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTx50hofkA

Tunnel Rats - Motivate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCbIm49yvQ

Shadow of the Locust - G.U.N. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_Q-WCl41o

The Cross Movement - What Do You See? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcreUsb4OBQ

The Cross Movement - Clarity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqvC30ZLULM

The Cross Movement - Know Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGQQ_7kIEU

let us know what you think. :)

The Lamp

My church also does a mix of old hymnal songs and contemporary songs on Sundays. But they tend to rework the old hymns into sounding contemporary. It has a full band with singers, guitarists, bassists, pianists, sax/flute player, drummer, etc., so it sounds great. A variety of ages go to the service.

My church does offerings very differently, though, I just remembered.

They have boxes outside the sanctuary that one can submit money if they want, but they never ask for money or offerings in a service or anything. They just say that if God is calling you to donate something and you would like to, you can do so by putting it in the offering box.

Do you guys think that going to the Church is necessary? What are your thoughts about people who believe in God, read the Bible, pray, but don't go to Church?

Fernando Rocker said:
Do you guys think that going to the Church is necessary? What are your thoughts about people who believe in God, read the Bible, pray, but don't go to Church?
in the traditional sense? of course not. Ritualistic religious practice (which is what "Church" has become in most cases) is not only unnecessary, but often times detrimental to the believer. Over time it becomes a crutch; a replacement for relationship. And from there, disaster enters.

That being said, spending time with a body of believers who are focused on His love and relentlessly pursing perfection in Christ is irreplaceable. We were not meant to live alone or fight battles alone. "Where two or more are gathered..."

Dreams-Visions said:
I think Kirk Franklin's version is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HAIEve3aME
i dont think that's the same song.
the original by selah was released late 2009
but i did grow up southern baptist. i do miss the jubilant energy versus the more tame non-denomination/evangelical
Fernando Rocker said:
the body of christ is not confined to a church. God's call in your life can easily be in the marketplace. Jesus was anti-religion. God wants a relationship, not ritualistic practices

The Lamp

Fernando Rocker said:

Hebrews 10:25

Numerous verses in the Bible on the importance of community in the life of a Christian. If you're by yourself, the devil's got you isolated and can pick you apart. Christians are designed to be constantly building each other up in encouragement, teaching, counsel, discipleship, prayer, and growth.

If you don't go to an organized "church", a Christian should at least be plugging in with a group of Christians they know to read/study or pray together, and to just talk to each other.

A church is not a building, it is the body of believers in Christ. It can meet in a home, in a cathedral, or in a backyard.

"It's dangerous to go alone".gif

The Lamp said:

Numerous verses in the Bible on the importance of community in the life of a Christian. If you're by yourself, the devil's got you isolated and can pick you apart. Christians are designed to be constantly building each other up in encouragement, teaching, counsel, discipleship, prayer, and growth.

If you don't go to an organized "church", a Christian should at least be plugging in with a group of Christians they know to read/study or pray together, and to just talk to each other.

A church is not a building, it is the body of believers in Christ. It can meet in a home, in a cathedral, or in a backyard.

looks like we're all on the same page about that.

The Lamp said:

I see... that's kinda what I wanted to do with this thread.

In fact, by reading this thread and talking to you, guys, I feel better. I mean, yes, I go to Church every Sunday, and everytime I go, I feel renewed... but by Friday, I feel like I changed a lot during the week.

So... I hope that this threads helps. I just started today to be more active, even though I starte the topic. But all this day I have been listening to songs you guys have linked, I have read Bible passages, etc...

JCRedeems

Banned
Has anyone ever heard of John Todd? Back in the 70s he claimed he was a high level Illuminati member/Satanist but Jesus delivered him.

He gives a testimony of how record companies would conjure up a principality to order demons under it to follow every rock record. He said that rock music is really music of Satan and it is written using witch language.

I was kind of skeptical at first until I saw the documentary "They Sold Their Souls for Rock N Roll" by Joe Schimmel. In the documentary musician after musician such as Hendrix, Carlos Santana, Michael Jackson, Prince admitted to being demonic possessed or channeled spirits (which are really demons) for their music.

There was a guest speaker who works in the music industry who came to a church I go to, Jaeson Ma, who said he didn't believe it as well until he met people in the music industry who asked for deliverance from these demons.

Here is an awesome testimony of a rapper who tells how demons were using rappers to lure him into the rap game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM1CkXxwf0Y

Bible scholars believe Satan was a minister of music in heaven before he was kicked out. Now he's using carnal, worldly music to pull people away from God.

Remember, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]." Ephes. 6:12

Fernando Rocker said:
I see... that's kinda what I wanted to do with this thread.

In fact, by reading this thread and talking to you, guys, I feel better. I mean, yes, I go to Church every Sunday, and everytime I go, I feel renewed... but by Friday, I feel like I changed a lot during the week.

So... I hope that this threads helps. I just started today to be more active, even though I starte the topic. But all this day I have been listening to songs you guys have linked, I have read Bible passages, etc...
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2)
life as a christian is very difficult without help of the holy spirit.
The Apostle Paul wrote, in Ephesians 5:18, "And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit."
this passage is not some figurative language nor is it symbolic. it is the spirit of God in you that will renew you and fill you with love and grace to get you through the day

Ps-wow, with the new rules on gaf, this thread has become quite pleasant.
even to the point where other christians can life up other believers.

viakado said:
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2)
life as a christian is very difficult without help of the holy spirit.
The Apostle Paul wrote, in Ephesians 5:18, "And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit."
this passage is not some figurative language nor is it symbolic. it is the spirit of God in you that will renew you and fill you with love and grace to get you through the day

Ps-wow, with the new rules on gaf, this thread has become quite pleasant.
even to the point where other christians can life up other believers.

I know... and I'm doing the best I can. Really.

And I know that with the help of God, I will be a good Christian.

JGS

Banned
Mario said:
Still, 38,000+ different sects of Christianity sure is a lot of splintering, and there are so many "Christian" answers to the same question depending on who you ask.

I believe you have never disclosed your own flavour of Christianity, and for the life of me I've never been able to work it out. Not that that really matters other than perhaps to shortcircuit some questions.
True, which is why I don't start at the splinter when discussing in forums, I try to start at the block of wood it came from. I actually don't share my beliefs too often just what scripture says which allows a lot of leeway regarding my conscious if not for the doctrine.

Because of that, I don't disclose my religion on purpose since some of my views are entirely my own and no reason to implicate my congregation for something they don't care about or perhaps some mebers don't agree with.

Dude Abides

Banned
viakado said:
left wing liberals hatefilled nutjobs also want christianity and israel wiped out of the planet.
see, i can play that game too.

Jack Chick apparently does believe the RCC created Islam, so yacobod's claim is true depending on what you mean by "fundies."

Anyway, do you believe this rapist and child molester's claims about Satan in the music industry?

Dude Abides said:
Jack Chick apparently does believe the RCC created Islam, so yacobod's claim is true depending on what you mean by "fundies."

Anyway, do you believe this rapist and child molester's claims about Satan in the music industry?
i dont know and i dont care.
i will not claim nor will i speak for any supposed christian out there. i am only accountable to myself.

yacobod

Banned
viakado said:
left wing liberals hatefilled nutjobs also want christianity and israel wiped out of the planet.
see, i can play that game too.

ya but the guy in question from the wikipedia article i posted was a "source" for several of Jack Chick's whacked out evangelical conspiracy comics, etc. i was just trying to emphasize the guy isn't really a credible source.

yacobod said:
ya but the guy in question from the wikipedia article i posted was a "source" for several of Jack Chick's whacked out evangelical conspiracy comics, etc. i was just trying to emphasize the guy isn't really a credible source.
fair enough. but i'd like to add that making stupid decisions after the said fact doesn't make the fact any less credible.

Dude Abides

Banned
viakado said:
fair enough. but i'd like to add that making stupid decisions after the said fact doesn't make the fact any less credible.

It does when the only basis for the credibility of the fact is the credibility of the person asserting it.

JCRedeems

Banned
Dude Abides said:
Lol.

How about his rape conviction? Is that genuine enough, or was that the devil's work as well?

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D

He's a whistleblower of the Illuminati. Assuming it is the same John Todd I wouldn't doubt he would be in prison, killed, or missing as reports I have come across.

His testimony is legit to me because it corrobates what Bill Schnoebelen has said, another former Illuminati member who Jesus delivered. It also corrobates with the documentary "They Sold Their Soul for Rock N Roll", a 4 hour documentary that goes through musician after musician who have openly admitted being involved with the occult and channeling spirits for their songs.

John Todd's testimony speaks the truth about Jesus Christ so I have no doubt he was telling the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom