• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan is working on 4K remasters of his Dark Knight Trilogy

Theorry

While promoting his new movie Dunkirk, which hits theaters on July 21, Christopher Nolan confirmed that he’s remastering his previous movies (such as the Dark Knight Trilogy) in 4K.

Nolan told BadTaste.it that he is personally involved in the 4K remastering process, and he seemed pretty excited about it. He explained that 4K with HDR technology gets the home video audience closer to the 6K resolution his movies were shot on, though the IMAX scenes are at a massive 18K. Check out his comments in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpqC2nRfJp4

http://batman-news.com/2017/07/10/christopher-nolan-4k-remaster-dark-knight-trilogy/

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Cant wait for the 4k gif

lE3ruyN.gif

Ridley327

Since it doesn't seem like it's specific to the Dark Knight Trilogy, I do hope this means he's finally revisiting The Prestige for a shiny new release. That's long overdue.

I was wondering when he was going to go back and work on these.

Since it doesn't seem like it's specific to the Dark Knight Trilogy, I do hope this means he's finally revisiting The Prestige for a shiny new release. That's long overdue.

I dream for a Criterion release.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
He explained that 4K with HDR technology gets the home video audience closer to the 6K resolution his movies were shot on, though the IMAX scenes are at a massive 18K.
GASP! So he did shoot them digitally after all! LIAR!

But seriously, I'm pretty certain 35mm is capable of a higher theoretical resolution that 6K. Plus, at least what he's doing means that the non-IMAX scenes in TDK might actually turn out good this time.

BTails

I'll be all over this, considering the original Blu-ray of The Dark Knight had a massive quality drop in the non-IMAX scenes, as if they had Digital Noise Reduction aggressively applied or something.

Fuck yes. Begins and Knight will be glorious. If those reddit rumors tied to Guardians of the Galaxy 2's 4k release are true and Force Awakens is coming, then those three movies alone justify my purchasing of a 4k TV and blu ray player.

Cant wait for the 4k gif

lE3ruyN.gif

This shit will never not be stupid. There's a sound effect that makes it clear that the gun goes off when you're actually watching the movie and not regurgitating a gif. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtVG72Amcg

They should've really put in a flare on that gun because the guy that "falls" actually gets shot by the guy with the pistol judging by the sound that happens when he gets kicked & punched by Batman.

A sound effect is absolutely enough when you're actually watching the movie and not just posting shitty edited gifs for internet cred.

So I should wait for 8k or rebuy my entire 1080p Blu-ray library in 4K?

I *think* you're joking, but the human eye can't differentiate between 4k and 8k on screens that size. Even for large 75" inch TVs. 8k won't be a home video format for the foreseeable future.

farisr

Awesome. Those IMAX scenes on the previous blurays looked great enough already, really Planet Earth level reference quality stuff, can't wait to see how they look in 4K & HDR.

Also hoping I have funds soon to upgrade my projector to a 4k one. Until then, my TV will have to suffice.

I'll be all over this, considering the original Blu-ray of The Dark Knight had a massive quality drop in the non-IMAX scenes, as if they had Digital Noise Reduction aggressively applied or something.
They did. Rather than just using the IMAX master for the IMAX sequences. For the conversion to 70mm they go through a pretty heavy DNR process. It's less noticeable in theaters, but the contrast and details get very rough when seen on smaller screens.

Will definitely rebuy the films for this. Begins and TDK sorely need the redo, though TDKR looked great to begin with. Still, IMAX footage in 4K...

jett

D-Member
It'd be nice if these remasters made their way to regular blu-ray. Batman Begins on BD is an HD-DVD "port" and TDK looks really soft, is filled with edge enhancement up its ass and you can even see compression artifacts.
760_8_1080p.jpg

760_9_1080p.jpg

And since Nolan claims to be directly involved he might finally set the score on which color timing is canon, the green-ish look of the trailers (supposedly it was this way for the theatrical release but I don't know), or the more natural look of the video release:

dr_3.jpg

cackhyena

This shit will never not be stupid. There's a sound effect that makes it clear that the gun goes off when you're actually watching the movie and not regurgitating a gif. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtVG72Amcg

A sound effect is absolutely enough when you're actually watching the movie and not just posting shitty edited gifs for internet cred.

It's not enough when you still watch the guy with the pistol wait his turn like an enemy in an Assassin's Creed game. It was a poorly directed scene.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
FUCK YES

I wonder if they will do a new sound mix and add Atmos as well?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Having only seen The Dark Knight in theaters once yet seeing it a bajillion times on DVD and Blu-ray, I can't for the life of me recall if the trailer color-grading actually was the theatrical one.

I'm just so used to the natural-looking one after all these years. Still can't get over the oversharpening though.

And since Nolan claims to be directly involved he might finally set the score on which color timing is canon, the green-ish look of the trailers (supposedly it was this way for the theatrical release but I don't know), or the more natural look of the video release:

I can't say with certainty, but the green-ish one jives with my memory of seeing TDKR in theaters.

Top Bottom