• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan is working on 4K remasters of his Dark Knight Trilogy

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
HDR is probably the bigger game changer than 4k is.

Having switched to 4K Blu-rays a year ago, I can attest to this. When I am watching anything else, the colours just look so saturated to me now.

This looks even more ridiculous after you've seen the warehouse brawl in BvS.

c7aq37kllje4.gif

Batman-Trailer.gif

giphy.gif

h7aelzi-iloveimg-compw6kb9.gif

JB1981

Yessssss. TDK needs a proper remaster. The blu-ray is DNR'd to hell and the color timing was botched. Can't wait!

I don't understand the BvS comparison. That scene is cool, sure. It wouldn't fit in the semi-realistic world of The Dark Knight trilogy though. The BvS Batman, despite being a lot fucking darker, is also significantly more "comic-booky" and fantastical than the TDK Batman. That'd look goofy as shit if it randomly happened in the middle of TDK.

yuraya

I don't understand the BvS comparison. That scene is cool, sure. It wouldn't fit in the semi-realistic world of The Dark Knight trilogy though. The BvS Batman, despite being a lot fucking darker, is also significantly more "comic-booky" and fantastical than the TDK Batman. That'd look goofy as shit if it randomly happened in the middle of TDK.

There wouldn't even be a reason for TDKR to exist if Batfleck was in that universe. He would just appear out of nowhere in the beginning of that film and shoot Bane along with everyone else on board out of the sky with his batwing.

And if by some chance Bane escaped with his life then later on in the sewers Batfleck would have absolutely destroyed Hardy's Bane. It would have been a 3 second fight.

rou021

The Dark Knight Rises had a 4K master for the regular Blu-ray, so resolution-wise it probably won't be as much of a jump. The Batman Begins Blu-ray, while a bit soft, didn't look bad either. The Dark Knight, however, looks terrible on Blu-ray.

The footage from TDK shot on 35mm went through IMAX's proprietary upconversion process at the time called DMR when it was integrated with the IMAX prints. This process, sadly, involved some filtering and edge enhancement for the shots in 35mm. This would've been somewhat noticeable when watching the IMAX version in the theater (I certainly did). Since they wanted to replicate the IMAX version on the BD release, they likely used an IMAX print for the transfer. As such, ringing and other artifacts in the 35mm sections would in fact be accurate to the IMAX version. It probably would've been better to use separate scans of the 35mm footage, but that's not as big of a deal. The real issue is whoever mastered it added additional edge enhancement and noise reduction on top of everything. Not only did the 35mm stuff get processed twice, the native IMAX footage got it's own dose of DNR and EE too when it should've been pristine.

You can actually see these differences by watching the Dark Knight prologue on the Batman Begins BD. It looks so much sharper and clearer without that additional processing. Further, the gamma and color timing is different from the Dark Knight BD. I don't know for sure if it's more accurate in that regard, but it certainly looks better and is closer to what I remember.

It actually wasn't even in the original Matrix. They added the color filter in Reloaded and Revolutions and then retconned it into the Bluray release of the original. The DVD version is still pure.
The DVD is definitely less wrong than the Blu-ray, but it's wrong too. Out of all the official home releases, the LaserDisc is probably closest to the theatrical color timing. There's a bootleg of a 35mm film print scanned at 4K floating around that looks quite different from both the DVD and the BD, but is fairly similar to the LD.

GASP! So he did shoot them digitally after all! LIAR!

But seriously, I'm pretty certain 35mm is capable of a higher theoretical resolution that 6K. Plus, at least what he's doing means that the non-IMAX scenes in TDK might actually turn out good this time.
IIRC, the theoretical resolution limit of 35mm film on good stock, scanned from the negative is a little above 4K at best. In practice, it's lower. The theatrical 35mm prints would often be lower still (sub-1080p). We've basically reached a point where the resolution of 35mm is maxed out. I believe 65 and 70mm is claimed to be around 16-18K though.

There wouldn't even be a reason for TDKR to exist if Batfleck was in that universe. He would just appear out of nowhere in the beginning of that film and shoot Bane along with everyone else on board out of the sky with his batwing.

And if by some chance Bane escaped with his life then later on in the sewers Batfleck would have absolutely destroyed Hardy's Bane. It would have been a 3 second fight.

Ok? Sounds like a lame movie.

Big Blue

Goofy as opposed to what we got???? Really?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
To be fair, that's why they're really only making big-ass 4K TVs. The same fact is true on TVs under a certain size when it comes to 1080p vs 4k. And fwiw, HDR is probably the bigger game changer than 4k is.

I've seen plenty of smaller TVs with 4K screens.
I don't agree that a screen has to be a certain size for the human eye to discern the difference. You're not using that old debunked chart are you?

jett

D-Member

Because's Baleman's martial art of holding your hands behind your head at all times is the epitome of realism.

Although I don't care for Murderman, I found that scene pretty grounded altogether from a choreography standpoint. Aside from the rampant killing, I don't see how it would be out of place for Baleman. And it's shot, set-up and edited so much better than any fight in the Nolan trilogy, let's be fair there to Snyder.

zoukka

lmao and I thought Baleman looked goofy.

Although I don't care for Murderman, I found that scene pretty grounded altogether from a choreography standpoint. Aside from the rampant killing, I don't see how it would be out of place for Baleman. And it's shot, set-up and edited so much better than any fight in the Nolan trilogy, let's be fair there to Snyder.

Nah the fights have pretty mediocre coreography, but are well shot and edited just like the rest of the movies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This is gonna sound weird, but Nolan's Batman -- when you take into consideration the context of where he was trained -- always felt like he needed to fight with more eloquence and precision like Ip Man or something. This is especially when you know that he's been studying multiple fight styles prior to Batman Begins' story.

X6Zr4A.gif

But instead, yeah, Baleman is practically just swinging haymakers and disarms all over the place as if he were in a pub prawl. That said, I still don't think they're that bad as fight scenes.

jett

D-Member
This is gonna sound weird, but Nolan's Batman -- when you take into consideration the context of where he was trained -- always felt like he needed to fight with more eloquence and precision like Ip Man or something. This is especially when you know that he's been studying multiple fight styles prior to Batman Begins' story.

X6Zr4A.gif

But instead, yeah, Baleman is practically just swinging haymakers and disarms all over the place as if he were in a pub prawl. That said, I still don't think they're that bad as fight scenes.

It's exactly how I feel. Your Ip Man analogy is great. Nolan got the wrong idea on how Batman fights honestly. Even Batman '89 looks like he fights more using a real martial art than Baleman.

Snyder's Batman wins in this regard because he made him look really quick and powerful at least. No doubt with the help of CGI though.

Hell yes, need these.

Edit: Yeah, that BvS fight was so damned good.

Fuck yes. Begins and Knight will be glorious. If those reddit rumors tied to Guardians of the Galaxy 2's 4k release are true and Force Awakens is coming, then those three movies alone justify my purchasing of a 4k TV and blu ray player.

Yeah!

I would very much like 4K HDR UHD BD version of Inception.

Yep, day 1 along with Interstellar.

Anung

Un Rama
Because's Baleman's martial art of holding your hands behind your head at all times is the epitome of realism.

Bale's Batman is also lucky that all bad guys run directly at him with their guns instead of just shooting him. Much realism.

watershed

Banned
Yes the fight choreography in the Nolan Bat trilogy is bad, but it would be nice to one day have a Nolan Bat thread on gaf without rehashing the same criticisms over and over.

I just hope most studios skip "4K remasters," and skip straight to 8K remasters to further proof themselves, because 8K is bound to be the next thing, much like 1080p was the next thing after 720p.

Dave_6

I will easily rebuy all of his films on UHD, as long as they are handled properly. TDK needs a complete overhaul as mentioned above.

Interstellar in 4K HDR (or Dolby Vision) is going to be amazing.

ss_lemonade

This shit will never not be stupid. There's a sound effect that makes it clear that the gun goes off when you're actually watching the movie and not regurgitating a gif. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtVG72Amcg

A sound effect is absolutely enough when you're actually watching the movie and not just posting shitty edited gifs for internet cred.
Where's the gun sound effect though? I only hear the one that comes after the sliding guy section

Top Bottom