• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan is working on 4K remasters of his Dark Knight Trilogy

Please return to do more super hero movies Nolan!

Maybe a proper Superman next

....considering Nolan's involved in picking Snyder and coming up with the story for Man of Steel what makes you think his Superman would be radically different? I don't think he has any real attachment to the character either, he gets the mythic and allegorical stuff but Batman was what his brother bought him as a kid :p

I need that Interstellar Saturn fly-by in 4K.

I thought Interstellar was an only 'okay' movie, worth seeing once in theaters. But, yeah, a 4k HDR version would get me to see it again.

I wonder if this means Dunkirk will come to 4k at the same time as the other home releases?

Farsi

What an amazing start to the day. I love you Nolan.

Can't wait to see the Hong Kong jump off from TDK and the motorcycle chase scene from TDKR in 4k.

This shit will never not be stupid. There's a sound effect that makes it clear that the gun goes off when you're actually watching the movie and not regurgitating a gif. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtVG72Amcg

lol, no there isn't. That's the sound of Batman's kick; the actual gunshot that happens a few seconds later has a different sound entirely, complete with echo. TDKR's fight scenes are just that bad. It's like they used footage from the half-intensity dress rehearsal in the final edit.

shira

tumblr_inline_ord5vhHzG81tg45yn_540.gif

tumblr_mzauavp2u91rrkahjo4_400.gif

Ah the 4k gifs of these classics

Sunhilegend will make the fish tacos

Nerdkiller

Membeur
And since Nolan claims to be directly involved he might finally set the score on which color timing is canon, the green-ish look of the trailers (supposedly it was this way for the theatrical release but I don't know), or the more natural look of the video release:

dr_3.jpg
Jesus, the amount of haloing in the lower image is something else.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I thought Interstellar was an only 'okay' movie, worth seeing once in theaters. But, yeah, a 4k HDR version would get me to see it again.

I wonder if this means Dunkirk will come to 4k at the same time as the other home releases?

I bought Interstellar on Blu-ray having not seen it in the cinema, at first I thought it was OK but was mildly disappointed. I have watched it a couple of times since and I like it more with each viewing, it has really grown on me. It could potentially look glorious in 4K/HDR.

Even before this announcement I was fully expecting Dunkirk to release in 4K, Warners have been there since day 1 with the 4K releases.

Jigolo

Holy shit I didn't even know this was coming. Will rebuy the trilogy as soon as it hits the shelves

molnizzle

And since Nolan claims to be directly involved he might finally set the score on which color timing is canon, the green-ish look of the trailers (supposedly it was this way for the theatrical release but I don't know), or the more natural look of the video release:

dr_3.jpg

Hopefully he keeps the home release color. I hate how so many modern films have green/yellow filters smeared over them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hopefully he keeps the home release color. I hate how so many modern films have green/yellow filters smeared over them.

Yea, it seemed to get really popular after The Matrix. I'm not a fan myself.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah I'm down for these, also echoing that I wasn't super pleased with the Blu Ray releases. Seeing them in IMAX was something spectacular that I could wish I get closer to recreating.

TDKR is the best superhero movie since TDK.

Markitron

Wasn't that stuff in the matrix just to show a difference when you're in the matrix or in the real world?

it made sense

Oh I actually liked it in The Matrix, I wasn't a fan of it being shoe-horned into so many other films.

Yeah I'm down for these, also echoing that I wasn't super pleased with the Blu Ray releases. Seeing them in IMAX was something spectacular that I could wish I get closer to recreating.

TDKR is the best superhero movie since TDK.

IMO that title belongs to Civil War nowadays.

lol, no there isn't. That's the sound of Batman's kick; the actual gunshot that happens a few seconds later has a different sound entirely, complete with echo. TDKR's fight scenes are just that bad. It's like they used footage from the half-intensity dress rehearsal in the final edit.

You're correct, but it's also very different from the other punch and kick sound effects. It's the sound of the gun going off and Batman's kick landing in the same instant, which is what happens.

Scavenger

It's very likely that it will look more like the trailer. Nolan usually isn't involved with the color grading of digital intermediates for DCP and home video releases of his works, because he prefers to do photochemical color grading. This was the case with Interstellar where the DCP and home video release had a very different color grading compared to the 70mm release that Nolan supervised: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/187160

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Another thing that throws me off about the TDK Blu-ray is that its contrast/lighting is so off from the other two movies. Whereas BB and TDKR have this soft look and pleasant gamma balance, TDK looks like a Michael Bay movie at certain points. It's as if they were trying to match the non-IMAX shots with the IMAX shots in terms of image quality, but given that they're pulling the aspect-ratio change anyway, it just seems counterintuitive.

Just to compare, here are some YouTube clips of scenes that are in a similar setting. Yes, there's obviously going to be some compression, but you can immediately tell the difference.

Batman Begins - Scarecrow/Falcone scene
The Dark Knight - Interrogation.
The Dark Knight Rises - Blake talks to Bruce

jett

D-Member
It's very likely that it will look more like the trailer. Nolan usually isn't involved with the color grading of digital intermediates for DCP and home video releases of his works, because he prefers to do photochemical color grading. This was the case with Interstellar where the DCP and home video release had a very different color grading compared to the 70mm release that Nolan supervised: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/187160

Yeah did some googling and apparently there's a dvd screener out thee with the teal-ish color timing, some people were trying to make the blu-ray look more like it.

I can't say I understand why Nolan doesn't care how his movies look like on video, unless he actually changes his mind on how they should look between the theatrical and the video releases. :p

I hope they add the 70mm IMAX scenes from TDK and TDKR as special features. I swear to God one of my TDK DVDs had the IMAX scenes as special feature but I lost it T_T

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm all in on this. As someone who originally hated Rises, it has since become my favorite of the trilogy. Such a massive movie and Hardy as Bane is the best villain of the trilogy.

Davide

Great, The Dark Knight looks terrible on Blu Ray with its messed up color timing, crushed blacks, and edge enhancement. The other two are fine for 1080p, hope TDK comes to Blu Ray.

effzee

No thanks! I dont want him to ruin Superman too.

Oh yeah I forgot he ruined Batman...

Spike tv had TDKR and BB on over the weekend. Caught the last 45 min of TDKR and the start of Begins. For thier faults, these movies are so far ahead and better than the other DC and most Marvel movies its amazing. And of course since it isn't CG heavy it actually holds up.

molnizzle

Wasn't that stuff in the matrix just to show a difference when you're in the matrix or in the real world?

it made sense

It actually wasn't even in the original Matrix. They added the color filter in Reloaded and Revolutions and then retconned it into the Bluray release of the original. The DVD version is still pure.

I *think* you're joking, but the human eye can't differentiate between 4k and 8k on screens that size. Even for large 75" inch TVs. 8k won't be a home video format for the foreseeable future.

I was half-joking.
They say this at the beginning of every format launch... then the next one comes. Hah
I want the final evolution of Freeza today. :)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It looked like the top image in IMAX.

I really hope there's a director's cut of TDKR. It's a terrible film that is not up to the standards of the previous two.

P.S hoping there's a take of Talia's death that is not as ridiculous as the one in the movie.

I was half-joking.
They say this at the beginning of every format launch... then the next one comes. Hah
I want the final evolution of Freeza today. :)

To be fair, that's why they're really only making big-ass 4K TVs. The same fact is true on TVs under a certain size when it comes to 1080p vs 4k. And fwiw, HDR is probably the bigger game changer than 4k is.

I really hope there's a director's cut of TDKR. It's a terrible film that is not up to the standards of the previous two.

P.S hoping there's a take of Talia's death that is not as ridiculous as the one in the movie.

It's never happening. The directors cut is what you saw in the theaters for all of his films.

The guy who made the best Comic book/SuperHero movie trilogy to date is gonna ruin Superman???

Don't feed the trolls. There are a lot of people who have become real pissy about how universally loved these movies are. Let them stew in their pettiness.

Top Bottom