• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan Sets Next Movie At Universal In Imax For Summer 2026 With Matt Damon Eyed To Star

Hrk69

lOdBbk5.jpeg

After sweeping the Oscars with his smash hit Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan looks to be returning to the studio that helped him win those Oscars, and he’s bringing along one of his A-list stars to lead the ensemble.

Sources tell Deadline that Nolan is returning to Universal for his next film, with plans for an Imax release on July 17, 2026, and that Matt Damon is in talks to star. The date falls in line with a number of Nolan films that have had similar release dates in the past.

Universal had no comment.
jIWx3uy.jpeg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Whatever it is, it'll probably be great. Dude doesn't miss. Even his 'bad' movies The Dark Knight Rises and Tenet are still head and shoulders above most movies.

Warner Bros losing him is one of the biggest screw ups in movie history. But hey, they got Todd Phillips and his Joker movies instead! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Whatever it is, it'll probably be great. Dude doesn't miss. Even his 'bad' movies The Dark Knight Rises and Tenet are still head and shoulders above most movies.

Warner Bros losing him is one of the biggest screw ups in movie history. But hey, they got Todd Phillips and his Joker movies instead! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Love the majority of his work. Tenet however is incoherent (litterally) nonsense that just doesn't work. I applaud him for trying though.

I definitely consider it a rare miss.

Last edited:

DKehoe

How you can pick a release date on a film you haven't even begun filming is just beyond me.
I guess they lay out the production timeline all the way through to the release. Presumably, this is going to be one of Universal's tentpoles for the year so they will want to make sure they are hitting an ideal release window and maybe plan their other releases around it.

rm082e

How you can pick a release date on a film you haven't even begun filming is just beyond me.

It's basic project planning. Movies have budgets, and budgets create limits on how much time they can spend. They know when the key personel will be available to start work, how much time they will have, and how much time the post production and marketing take. They know they will have a finished product (movie + marketing materials) by Q1 2026, so they can plan on a Q2 release.

It's an assembly line type process. And if the movie misses some key targets, they can always push the release date and spend more time on whatever part of the project didn't go so well. It happens all the time.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's basic project planning. Movies have budgets, and budgets create limits on how much time they can spend. They know when the key personel will be available to start work, how much time they will have, and how much time the post production and marketing take. They know they will have a finished product (movie + marketing materials) by Q1 2026, so they can plan on a Q2 release.

It's an assembly line type process. And if the movie misses some key targets, they can always push the release date and spend more time on whatever part of the project didn't go so well. It happens all the time.
Sure, throw out "Summer '26" to stake their claim and get the buzz going, but why such a specific date?

I'm guessing IMAX is forcing them to reserve early because Tom Cruise was probably looking to ACTIVELY fuck with Universal with MI9 with the way Oppenheimer stole MI8's lunch :p

Doom85

Gold Member
Man, I don’t get the Matt Damon hate. Hardly one of my favorite actors, but I think he’s usually really good, and under Nolan’s direction there should be little to worry about him being the lead.

Like people overreacted to his one line (“how about the fact that this is the most important thing in the history of the world?!”) in the Oppenheimer trailer. Within the film proper, as we find out more about him, we realize that he does have a tendency as an Army officer to appear loud and in charge, but Oppenheimer reveals he knows Groves (Damon) has a degree in Engineering from MIT along with other skills like reading people and their capabilities. The reason the delivery sounds forced is because it’s supposed to be forced, he does such yelling out of habit yet clearly he can talk with and analyze people better in order to get them to cooperate rather than just trying to be intimidating and the loudest person in the room. The last chronological time we see him, at Oppenheimer’s “trial”, Groves is now in a situation where he is more or less powerless in the situation. All he can do is give his honest assessment of the situation even if he makes it clear that personally he knows Oppenheimer should be trusted, and there’s no attempt to try to verbally intimidate Attorney Robb (Jason Clarke). We see Groves as he truly is, a fairly intelligent person who only resorted to throwing his weight around because it was expected of someone like him and/or he incorrectly assumed it was the only way to get people to cooperate with him. And I think Damon did a solid job conveying all of this.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
rumor is that its Horror and possibly Vampires?

don't know how reliable Grace Randolph is

jakinov

Man Warner Brothers wanting to put Tenet on HBO Max really pissed him off lol
He doesn’t care anymore he said it was water under the bridge and that he’d work with WB again, he also praised the new management. it’s likely just that he’s already in business with universal and there’s no point to break an existing relationship for a history that doesn’t mean anything. Nobody from WB he worked with is there it’s just brand and universal is likely giving him exactly what he wants.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
rumor is that its Horror and possibly Vampires?

don't know how reliable Grace Randolph is

Even though it's Grace Randolph I really hope he makes a horror film next 👀

The Skull

While his movies sometimes aren't perfect, his dedication and love of the craft is apparent in every frame of his films. Like others have said, his worst films are still head and shoulders above most other crap released. Damon is fine, not sure what the aversion to him is.

thefool

Damon is good but a bit milquetoast.

Casting can make or break a movie. Give Tenet a new cast instead of the Washington/Branagh/Debicki monstrosity and it would be seen with completely different eyes.

Last edited:

Warspite

Damon is good but a bit milquetoast.

Casting can make or break a movie. Give Tenet a new cast instead of the Washington/Branagh/Debicki monstrosity and it would be seen with completely different eyes.

I agree, it needed someone with a bit more charm in some of the roles, given their wasn't much for the actors to do.

Top Bottom