• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Azala is a
female?

Mind blown.

Also, the new script really shows in Zeal. The added details really really help flesh out the world.

Thermite

I'm a little over five hours in, and just
delivered the jerky to the knights at Zenan Bridge
. I REALLY enjoy being able to play this on the DS. It truly has aged unbelievably well.

nny

oh snap, my amazon order arrived today and came with the soundtrack; thought it was a gamestop pre-order exclusive so wasn't expecting that, lovely surprise.

Scarecrow

Wow, I'm getting to some more important plot stuff with Melchior and his past. His asking to sell him the pendant at the beginning holds a little more weight to it in retrospect.

Synless

I only have one minor nitpick and that is that the music isn't quite up to par with the original release.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I never beat Chrono Trigger in my youth because I never owned an SNES (fucking Sega Genesis...) and because the first ROM I found was all bugged up and I could never beat this one part where I had to chase a rat in the future.

So now I am about 4 hours in to my first DS play through and I got right up to the part I never beat this morning on the way to work. Incidentally, my work day has been going as slow as molasses. I can't wait to boot this game back up. I haven't been enamored by an RPG since KOTOR, I love it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I haven't heard nearly all the songs in the game yet, but so far, it all sounds pretty damn excellent. Headphones, of course. DS speakers are pretty nice for a portable system, but they're going to be a downgrade from a good set of headphones... and probably most TVs from the SNES days.

Chasing the rat is easy, come on! Especially in this version, that has you running by default (no need to hold B to run anymore). That said, I'm not so sure you NEED to catch the rat to progress. I could be wrong. Either way, the command for opening the path to the supercomputer that the rat gives you when getting caught is to hold L+R has you hit A to investigate the sparkling panel next to the locked door. If you've changed your default controls, adjust buttons accordingly.

Edit - Some sound effects definitely sound off. Chrono's slash/critical sound effects are different. I preferred the SNES sound. It seems more like an intentional change rather than an actual sound issue.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Mejilan said:
Chasing the rat is easy, come on! Especially in this version, that has you running by default (no need to hold B to run anymore). That said, I'm not so sure you NEED to catch the rat to progress. I could be wrong. Either way, the command for opening the path to the supercomputer that the rat gives you when getting caught is to hold L+R has you hit A to investigate the sparkling panel next to the locked door. If you've changed your default controls, adjust buttons accordingly.
The password doesn't work if you don't get the rat.

jon bones said:
I never beat Chrono Trigger in my youth because I never owned an SNES (fucking Sega Genesis...) and because the first ROM I found was all bugged up and I could never beat this one part where I had to chase a rat in the future.

So now I am about 4 hours in to my first DS play through and I got right up to the part I never beat this morning on the way to work. Incidentally, my work day has been going as slow as molasses. I can't wait to boot this game back up. I haven't been enamored by an RPG since KOTOR, I love it.
rom? Piracy isn't cool.

Mejilan

Fuu said:
The password doesn't work if you don't get the rat.

Haha, that's totally awesome. Either way, he's an easy bastard to catch. Caught him on the first go, and I haven't played the game in a decade!

Jswanko

So i think i went to 600000 BC before i was supposed to because i wanted to explore it, now im lost. Can anyone tell me how to get back or where the gate is?

Jswanko said:
So i think i went to 600000 BC before i was supposed to because i wanted to explore it, now im lost. Can anyone tell me how to get back or where the gate is?

You have to go left in the starting point, then go around and jump back in.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Synless said:
some of the tones are way off. Some songs sound kind of weird.
The music is exactly the same. Get headphones instead of using the shitty DS speakers.

Jammy

Banned
Uh... has anybody else done the Lost Sanctum or Dimensional Vortex areas that open up near/at the end of the game?

They're worse than the Zelda: Wind Waker triforce hunt ever was... but you get some nice items and equipment from the whole thing.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Jammy said:
Uh... has anybody else done the Lost Sanctum or Dimensional Vortex areas that open up near/at the end of the game?

They're worse than the Zelda: Wind Waker triforce hunt ever was... but you get some nice items and equipment from the whole thing.
Nothing will ever be worse than WW Triforce hunt.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I heard that the new ending video that ties CT to CC was only if you finished the three Dimensional Vortex dungeons, yet when I beat
Lavos
, I got the animated ending. I guess the info I heard was wrong.

thetrin said:
I heard that the new ending video that ties CT to CC was only if you finished the three Dimensional Vortex dungeons, yet when I beat
Lavos
, I got the animated ending. I guess the info I heard was wrong.

Once you beat the 3 Dimensional Vortex dungeons,
in the ending Magus erases his own memory and then conquers Present-day Guardia, stealing the Masamune and making it evil. I think.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Death_Born said:
Once you beat the 3 Dimensional Vortex dungeons,
in the ending Magus erases his own memory and then conquers Present-day Guardia, stealing the Masamune and making it evil. I think.

Great, now you've managed to convince me never to finish the Dimensional Vortex dungeons...

thetrin said:
Great, now you've managed to convince me never to finish the Dimensional Vortex dungeons...

Well, it doesn't happen immediately. You have to
fight a stronger version of Lavos form 1. Something about absorbing Schala and transporting to a parallel universe. So Magus, being unable to save Schala, decides to erase his memory.

thetrin

Death_Born said:
Well, it doesn't happen immediately. You have to
fight a stronger version of Lavos form 1. Something about absorbing Schala and transporting to a parallel universe. So Magus, being unable to save Schala, decides to erase his memory.

Well yeah. That's because
Lavos becomes the Time Devourer when it merges with Schala (which appears in CC).

Mejilan said:
I could have sworn a vague comment was there to begin with. I thought what was in question was the degree of specificity. I don't remember too much, since I was never really a fan of Ayla or that time period.

Ayla never got a side quest? I can't say I remember one. I always hated her anyway. Her and Robo I almost always avoided, except for when needed. She should have a side quest, though.

Ayla's charm is insanely useful, especially if you intend to outfit your entire team with Gold Studs. You only get one from a chest. The rest have to be charmed.

The same is true if you intend to get Nova Armor for your whole party (though both are totally not required considering the game is so easy).

MoogPaul

thetrin said:
Well yeah. That's because
Lavos becomes the Time Devourer when it merges with Schala (which appears in CC).

lavos is the time devourer, it becomes the dream devourer when it merges i believe

thetrin

MoogPaul said:
lavos is the time devourer, it becomes the dream devourer when it merges i believe

You might be right. It's been years since I played CC.

User2k

Bought it. Want to get through some of my backlog before playing it though. Starting with finally finishing The World Ends With You.

justchris

My copy finally arrived! (I blame UPS, I ordered something else that shipped the same day with the postal service and arrived by Wednesday.)

This game is so charming, reminds me how much I love spirtes. 3d is nice and all, but sometimes lacks character.

I'm still amazed at how much of this game I remember, especially not having played it since my one runthrough on the PS1 version 7 years ago. A near perfect port in my pocket is fantastic.

You can still beat Gato and run away before getting your Silver Points :lol Love this game.

dankir

Fiendlord?

Athena's water / potion?

They changed some of the English or does my memory suck? I beat the SNES version like 5 times.

dankir said:
Fiendlord?

Athena's water / potion?

They changed some of the English or does my memory suck? I beat the SNES version like 5 times.

I believe that Athenian Water was called Revive, and they did change a lot of the names.

Yeah, I'm about 4 hours in and Athenian Water still throws me off a bit. I'm not sure if I prefer the change or not honestly, but it's certainly more creative. I guess I'm just so used to seeing the old names.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Woahh, I'm in the future and I just met my homie
Robo
! I liked the little anime PS1 cutscene, too.

I'm officially in "new game" territory, and it's bloody brilliant.

a lot of the dialog changes are bothering me. especially the change of "but you're still hungry" to "but you're still just as hungry as before"

Teddman

JodyAnthony said:
a lot of the dialog changes are bothering me. especially the change of "but you're still hungry" to "but you're still just as hungry as before"
I'm actually seeing a lot of changes listed that would annoy me in this thread... Is this DS version of Chrono Trigger an improvement in any way? The modernization of Frog's dialogue would bug me the most.

Fans of the SNES version, is there anything you like better about the DS release?

MoogPaul

Teddman said:
I'm actually seeing a lot of changes listed that would annoy me in this thread... Is this DS version of Chrono Trigger an improvement in any way? The modernization of Frog's dialogue would bug me the most.

Fans of the SNES version, is there anything you like better about the DS release?

I like that I can play it on the go. The movies from the psx version are on the DS version. That's about all I liked more than my SNES copy.

Teddman said:

Frog's language isn't modernized per se, it just loses the ridiculous "thou's" that were very poorly implemented in the original (I replayed it earlier this year, and they really stood out.)

He still speaks formally, and differently than people from 1000 AD, in fact all people from 600 AD do. It works better IMO, and is less jarring. It's much better than the accent filled mess that is DQIV, and overall I think it is a better translation than the original.

Again, I don't want to downplay Woolsey's original translation, it was AMAZING for the time, especially considering the content restrictions, limited space, and americanization required. This translation is different, but it seems like people are getting riled up over some of the most random sentences, just because they are marginally different. I don't get that.

I've never played this before and Frogs speech is unique to him and suits his character for a first time play through. I'm so glad they didn't mess with the graphics, it's such a nice looking game, glad it's not a shitty DS 3D port of it, wouldn't be half as fun to play.

Mejilan

IMHO, the people complaining about the translation are full of nostalgic shit. This one is far, far superior technically (from a linguistic standpoint); generally delivering lines with increased drama and power, where relevant.

As a bonus, this version is also "de-censored" with moderate curses and references to death and alcohol restored. Woolsey's translation was fine for the time, and probably a huge accomplishment given the restraints of the times, imposed by both Nintendo's localization policies and Squaresoft's timelines.

I would think that folks would be more pissed off about the censorship in the SNES/PSOne versions. As for Frog, specifically, he now delivers his lines with a greatly increased degree of quiet dignity, since you're no longer laughing at his mangled English. Though I do agree on one point. "Yah!" is not as good as "Yes, indeed!" But that's a minor point, very easy to shrug off in light of all the other vast improvements.

To put it bluntly, this version of Chrono Trigger features a script that would make just about any modern (that is, not 8 or 16 bit) RPG proud. The original's translation was a standout compared to the largely shitty work done during those times, but hasn't aged all that well.

Teddman

666 said:
I've never played this before and Frogs speech is unique to him and suits his character for a first time play through. I'm so glad they didn't mess with the graphics, it's such a nice looking game, glad it's not a shitty DS 3D port of it, wouldn't be half as fun to play.
Hmmm...
Frog better still say
"Mine name is Glen!"
or to Hell with it...

Pachinko

I have to agree mejilan, the translation is simply better in the DS version. Phrases/words/sentences that had to be censored and shortened to eke out an iota of sense on the snes cart are now fully fleshed out.

One of my friends was commenting last night that , upon finding the seeds in 2300 AD the original translation used the word "healthy" to describe your crew and the dome residents say it has a nice ring to it. This new version changes that completly to what I'm guessing was the original intent of that bit of dialog. Your crew mentions they have "hope" and the elder mentions that he hasn't had any hope in some time. A bit more emotional impact I think.

Top Bottom