• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Rentahamster said:
Holy shit this extra content is a joke. I'm not done yet, but this gigantic fetch quest is quite possibly more retarded than the the Triforce hunt.

Still playin' though. 'Cuz it's Chrono Trigger.

Doesn't exactly bode well for the other extra content, does it? Not talking about the arena btw.

On my second playthrough, haven't messed with anybody's names yet. I always forget to leave an extra sword for Frog because his Masamune doesn't carry over.

justchris

Fuu said:
I always say that in my next replay I'll name the characters with
their real names (Marle = Nadia, Robo = R66-Y, Frog = Glenn, Magus = Janus)
, but I end up never doing it.

That's always what I do. I prefer it that way, although recently
I've been naming Robo, Prome for Prometheus, but I think I'll go back to the serial number for this playthrough

Blizzard

Banned
Amazon finally delivered it today! At long last I own Chrono Trigger (played it years ago, like once, but didn't own it). Time to play it the way new games are MEANT to be played!

*runs off to read the manual and play while on the toilet* :D

Jiggy

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Doesn't exactly bode well for the other extra content, does it? Not talking about the arena btw.
Well, compared to the
Lost Sanctum
, the other extra content practically looks genius. It has its annoying spurts like
teleporter
puzzles, but it also has some great sections.

Still a shame that S-E couldn't manage at least one solid new area with nothing to complain about, though.

Blizzard

Banned
This seems like a pretty cool game! There's a dumb race guy though, he's hardly any help about telling who will win! I mean, if he says the same thing twice he's right the SECOND time, but come on!

And then there's a drinking guy, and it's all BUTTON MASH and it's too much to button mash. Sad.

But the music is really pretty! :) And I like the cats that go meow.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Blizzard said:
This seems like a pretty cool game! There's a dumb race guy though, he's hardly any help about telling who will win! I mean, if he says the same thing twice he's right the SECOND time, but come on!

And then there's a drinking guy, and it's all BUTTON MASH and it's too much to button mash. Sad.

But the music is really pretty! :) And I like the cats that go meow.

A CT virgin? Oh boy, this will be good.

I look forward to hear more about your adventures through time.

Blizzard

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
A CT virgin? Oh boy, this will be good.

I look forward to hear more about your adventures through time.

As I just posted on the last page, I played it before. >_>

But I can still like it again. :( It's not like I remember a lot of it. Oddly enough, one of the things that has stuck in my mind all these years (all these like 5-6 years) is Johnny. It's the...THE MAN! :eek:

Oh, the intro cutscene was kind of choppy. I guess I was spoiled by the amazingly gorgeous FFIII DS intro cutscene and whatever codec they used, but the CT DS intro isn't too bad (yes, I realize it was from an old system or something). The best part was when some music cut in that I'm pretty sure was used in Chrono Cross...perhaps someone knows the name. I've only listened to Chrono Cross music, not played the game, and it could well be an original Chrono Trigger theme that I wouldn't remember.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

Other extra content? Hmm, not sure what this is, but I guess I'll figure it out in due time. I gotta keep my first playthrough clean.

Rentahamster said:
Other extra content? Hmm, not sure what this is, but I guess I'll figure it out in due time. I gotta keep my first playthrough clean.

The Lost Sanctum is a really, realllllllly long fetch quest. You go back and forth up and down a mountain about 10 times to access a stupid castle. You do get all the money and equipment you could ever want, though. But I don't see why they had to make it so hellishly boring.

Dimensional Vortex is slightly more interesting and has some not-that-bad bosses and areas.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
^^^You can fight the final boss at any time you want by using a shortcut. Depending on at what point of the game you choose to battle him, you'll get a different ending. Some endings will act differently depending on certain variables.

One thing I think is interesting about the re-translation? Frog (except for his lack of accent, which I thought was neat) makes a bit more sense this time around. Playing it through on the DS clues me into the fact that he's always been
a coward. That was what happened with Magus and Cyrus, in fact, his hesitation led him to inaction, which meant that he couldn't help Cyrus or run. Because he was such a wuss, Magus Frog-ified him.

Which is why it meant so much that he agreed to go with Crono in the first place. He's like alright, I'm done cowering, time to get shit done.

So I finally popped the game into my DS last night and was loving every second of it. I stole the old man's lunch, returned the girl's cat, fought Gato, everything was going great. Until I got to the first damn battle in the game and died. Let me repeat that so you don't miss out on my embarrassment: I died in the first battle of the game. Apparently, I had forgotten to heal up after taking on Gato with Crono alone and he was down to 6 HP. One hit from a stupid imp was all it took. I guess I need to keep in mind I'm not playing on my old Super NES file with all my god like new game+ characters.

baphometbones said:
So I finally popped the game into my DS last night and was loving every second of it. I stole the old man's lunch, returned the girl's cat, fought Gato, everything was going great. Until I got to the first damn battle in the game and died. Let me repeat that so you don't miss out on my embarrassment: I died in the first battle of the game. Apparently, I had forgotten to heal up after taking on Gato with Crono alone and he was down to 6 HP. One hit from a stupid imp was all it took. I guess I need to keep in mind I'm not playing on my old Super NES file with all my god like new game+ characters.

I would laugh at you but your avatar scares me ;)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It is kind of refreshing to go through the game with a noob party again.

For what it's worth, I managed to get a fully not guilty verdict in the trial. I know there was some discussion about how to secure that last not guilty vote. I don't know if it was resolved earlier in the thread, but I think I figured it out.

It revolves around bringing the lost kitty to the little girl in the fair. I think you need to bring it to her BEFORE speaking to her and learning about the lost kitty.

That's the only thing different that I did this time as compared to my earlier SNES playthroughs, and this is the first time I ever nab all 7 jurors on my side.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This time I spoke to the little girl before bringing the kitty and I also got a full not guilty, so I don't think that's it.

Gamecocks625 said:
I would laugh at you but your avatar scares me ;)

:lol It's funny because in the episode of "It's Always Sunny" that I took it from, the character wants everyone to be terrified of him but it's laughable.

Mejilan said:
It revolves around bringing the lost kitty to the little girl in the fair. I think you need to bring it to her BEFORE speaking to her and learning about the lost kitty.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure this is what I did as well. I'll have to remember to pay close attention during the trial, I only got to play through
the rescue of Leene
last night.

STG!

Mejilan said:
It is kind of refreshing to go through the game with a noob party again.

For what it's worth, I managed to get a fully not guilty verdict in the trial. I know there was some discussion about how to secure that last not guilty vote. I don't know if it was resolved earlier in the thread, but I think I figured it out.

That's the only thing different that I did this time as compared to my earlier SNES playthroughs, and this is the first time I ever nab all 7 jurors on my side.

I forgot you were supposed to talk to Marle before you pick up her pendant and return it to her, so I missed getting a perfect "Not Guilty"... :(

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah, I don't have a problem getting a full not guilty hearing..
Check on Marle, return the kitty, don't steal the lunch, don't ever talk to Melchoir... other things I do are not move when she's shopping, make the correct choices during the trial... I don't typically play any of the games or screw around at the fair if that matters.

Mejilan

Hmm. Then I don't know. I must have played through the SNES version something like 8 times. And for 6-7 of those attempts, I never managed to get more than 6 not-guilty votes. (My first playthrough when the game first came out went... poorly!)

Fuu

I spoke to Melchior. How would that even influence the jury?

I also did the drinking game and the other stuff at the fair.

Mejilan

If you speak to Melchior before bumping into Marle, no issues. That's what I did.
If you speak to him with the pendant in your key items inventory, then he tries to get you to convince Marle to sell it to him. If you agree, then that counts against your character in the trial.

I purchase what I need from Melchior before meeting up with Marle, and then avoid him going forward.

Fuu

Mejilan said:
If you speak to Melchior before bumping into Marle, no issues. That's what I did.
If you speak to him with the pendant in your key items inventory, then he tries to get you to convince Marle to sell it to him. If you agree, then that counts against your character in the trial.
Ah, I also spoke with him before meeting her. Didn't remember that thing with the pendant.

I got 6 out of 7 not guilty. Though now that I think about it, I think next time around i'm going to go for a full GUILTY verdict, it's just a hell of a lot funnier when you have all those things you did accidentally come back and haunt you. It was one of the cooler points in the game, a not guilty verdict has no drama.

Also, loving the new trasnlation, yeah it is different, but not horribly different, and I have to give major props to making 600 AD sound different than 1000 AD without having to use a silly accent. Kinda curious to see if 12,000 BC will sound different or not.

As to the outskirts of time issue, what is the original Japanese? I don't have it in front of me, but is there a verb in the name of the song or not? Seems like it would be pretty easy to figure out what the correct translation should be, assuming they don't both work.

Mejilan

bishopcruz said:
I got 6 out of 7 not guilty. Though now that I think about it, I think next time around i'm going to go for a full GUILTY verdict, it's just a hell of a lot funnier when you have all those things you did accidentally come back and haunt you. It was one of the cooler points in the game, a not guilty verdict has no drama.

Actually, I disagree. We know that the Chancellor is a bit of a prick because of the trial. But it isn't until he attempts to rig your not guilty verdict into an execution (without orders!) that you realize that he's just a corrupt mofo. What's funny is that he is what he is because of the events in 600 A.D.
One of the comments that era's Chancellor makes after Leene's rescue is that they need to institute a better criminal system in order to avoid such abductions and foul-ups again.
Your own heroic efforts in the past come to bite you in the ass in the present! Great stuff! And pretty dramatic, I'd say. I think the effect is lessened if you get a guilty verdict, because while he is a prick, he's just following the law at that point.

Also, loving the new trasnlation, yeah it is different, but not horribly different, and I have to give major props to making 600 AD sound different than 1000 AD without having to use a silly accent. Kinda curious to see if 12,000 BC will sound different or not.

I'm very happy with it too. It just reads cleaner and feels more consistent and polished. Frog definitely still has his quiet, suffering brand of dignity, just without the mangled attempt an Olde/Middle English.

Godslay

Banned
Just popped in to say this is my first post here on Gaf, and my first time playing CT. So far the game has been pretty good. I'm not using any guides, so I've gotten lost at a couple of spots
Frog's hideout, took me a good 2 hours to find
I thought the story really started to pick up steam at
masa and mune
. I've been playing games since Nes era, I just don't know why I never played CT. I think when it came out I was still playing SFII, and whatever flavor of fighting game that was out at the time. I'm trying to keep the experience fresh, and new and I'll pop back in when I am done so I don't run the risk of seeing an inadvertent spoiler.

Fuu

I love that little detail about the Chancellor. A friend of mine missed that while playing and when I told her why he wanted to
execute Crono regardless
she also found it neat.

Meji, like Godslay there are some that never played the game before, can you spoiler tag that?

Mejilan

It should be a crime to have skipped out on CT before, but fine. I spoiler-tagged the only line that really had anything that deserved to be hidden, IMHO. :)

Fuu

Mejilan said:
It should be a crime to have skipped out on CT before, but fine. I spoiler-tagged the only line that really had anything that deserved to be hidden, IMHO. :)
Agreed.
34ns6df.gif

It's just that it's cooler to notice by yourself.

kiryogi said:
Christ it's been 13 years people. There's a stature of limitations on this kinda thing.
But it's still a new release of the game. For remakes and re-releases there are people that never played the games before, it's not that much trouble to use the spoiler tag anyway.

Mejilan said:
Actually, I disagree. We know that the Chancellor is a bit of a prick because of the trial. But it isn't until he attempts to rig your not guilty verdict into an execution (without orders!) that you realize that he's just a corrupt mofo. What's funny is that he is what he is because of the events in 600 A.D.
One of the comments that era's Chancellor makes after Leene's rescue is that they need to institute a better criminal system in order to avoid such abductions and foul-ups again.
Your own heroic efforts in the past come to bite you in the ass in the present! Great stuff! And pretty dramatic, I'd say. I think the effect is lessened if you get a guilty verdict, because while he is a prick, he's just following the law at that point.
I'm very happy with it too. It just reads cleaner and feels more consistent and polished. Frog definitely still has his quiet, suffering brand of dignity, just without the mangled attempt
an Olde/Middle English.

Count me in as enjoying the new translation. I was really worried about it at first, but Frog still seems like the same character, just lacking the "Dragon Quest IV Accent Filter". Also, I'm not sure if that line from the Chancellor was revised or not, but I don't remember catching it in the original. I definitely thought it was a nice touch, and it's little things like that which make me really satisfied with this port.

Fuu

baphometbones said:
Count me in as enjoying the new translation. I was really worried about it at first, but Frog still seems like the same character, just lacking the "Dragon Quest IV Accent Filter". Also, I'm not sure if that line from the Chancellor was revised or not, but I don't remember catching it in the original. I definitely thought it was a nice touch, and it's little things like that which make me really satisfied with this port.
It was in the original.

Chancellor: That no good Yakra! Impersonating me and kidnapping the Queen! We MUST create a criminal justice system in this Kingdom to do away with such fiends.

Mejilan

Yeah, so far (barring any new content added to this port), I haven't noticed any story development added in with this new translation. Just cleaned up text.

I guess I just never caught it before. Oh well, it's been almost 10 years since I played it so it's been nice to discover new things... even if they aren't really new after all. :D

Fuu

baphometbones said:
I guess I just never caught it before. Oh well, it's been almost 10 years since I played it so it's been nice to discover new things... even if they aren't really new after all. :D
Yup. I haven't replayed the original all that much so the DS version feels like a new experience to me at times too.

Mejilan

It's been about 10 years for me as well. Basically, when I last had my SNES hooked up. LONG overdue.
I played around with it via a SNES emulator on my PSP, but it was pretty janky so I gave up after 10 minutes. Then I tried converting the PSOne version to play on the PSP, and gave up on that after 5 minutes.

Happily, about 3 months after my last ill-fated attempt, this port got announced. And now, the definitive version is here. I couldn't be happier. :)

Mejilan said:
Yeah, so far (barring any new content added to this port), I haven't noticed any story development added in with this new translation. Just cleaned up text.

Just bits of additional detail, the
Ayla pregnancy being a big one, though there are little things here and there.
Woolsey did a hell of a job translating the original, especially considering all the limitations he had to deal with.

Mejilan

bishopcruz said:
Just bits of additional detail, the
Ayla pregnancy being a big one, though there are little things here and there.
Woolsey did a hell of a job translating the original, especially considering all the limitations he had to deal with.

I read that. I think that's jumping to conclusions. Her comment can go either way. She could just be talking about the future, assuming she comes back alive. That's how I took it, actually.

MoogPaul

The way the side quests are broken down have always bothered me.
End game spoilers:
Chrono gets one with the trying to revive him.
Lucca gets two small ones: Sun Stone and the forest/saving her mother
Marle/Nadia gets one, rainbow shell with the trail of her father
Frog/Glenn: The ruins with Cyrus Ghost
Magus/Janus: Ozzy's Fortress
Robo: robot factory

So why did Alya get screwed? She gets no sidequest, or at least in the original one she didn't. What gives?

Mejilan said:
I read that. I think that's jumping to conclusions. Her comment can go either way. She could just be talking about the future, assuming she comes back alive. That's how I took it, actually.

Does it really matter if it's worked in? Kino
is a descendant of Nadia. So Alya kinda has to get pregnant.

Mejilan

I could have sworn a vague comment was there to begin with. I thought what was in question was the degree of specificity. I don't remember too much, since I was never really a fan of Ayla or that time period.

Ayla never got a side quest? I can't say I remember one. I always hated her anyway. Her and Robo I almost always avoided, except for when needed. She should have a side quest, though.

Mejilan said:
I could have sworn a vague comment was there to begin with. I thought what was in question was the degree of specificity. I don't remember too much, since I was never really a fan of Ayla or that time period.

Ayla never got a side quest? I can't say I remember one. I always hated her anyway. Her and Robo I almost always avoided, except for when needed. She should have a side quest, though.

Ayla is quite the shit kicker. I didn't use her much the first few times I played through the game, one time I decided to give her a shot and WOW she's freakishly powerful, plus she is the only person who has a steal attack, so you can use her to get rare items and the like. I try to swap characters throughout the game, but I find I am often Crono, Marle, and Lucca or Chrono, Marle and Frog. The latter one is freakishly powerful in the Fiendlord's castle, Ice Water FTW.

Mejilan

The game is so pathetically easy that party makeup is largely irrelevant. That being the case, I almost always end up with Crono, Frog, and Magus, because they're my favorite characters. Barring Magus, I'll through in Marle, because she's cool too.

Zoe

Wasn't the Singing Mountain sidequest supposed to happen in Ayla's time period before it got scrapped?

Mejilan

Did they actually bring that back (including the song?)
What about the unreleased battle track?

I was disappointed to note that Frog's song is the same as the SNES version, and wasn't the expanded one featured in the OST, and, I think, in the PSOne game.

Fuu

I think the music during the battles in the monster arena is a new/unreleased one. Not sure though.

I've been using Crono, Ayla, and Marle but I remember being fond of Crono, Magus, and Frog back when I played the SNES version. Ayla is actually a pretty great character, her dual techs with Crono are strong and her Charm ability means you can steal all sorts of rare items. The game is really easy though, so it's not hard to steam roll through the game with any party combination.

It's such a pleasure to replay this game. Zeal is still one of the coolest looking areas in an rpg. The world map art in general is really fantastic. It really enhances the storybook quality of the game.

Top Bottom