• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Can anyone help me find a good gamefaq guide for the game.
The ones I looked at all seem to jump around for some reason, help, chrono virgin here.:lol

Scarecrow

So, I'm at the part where I fight
Magus
for the second time, and have a question. In previous play throughs, I've never killed him. Does anything substantial happen if you do decide to take him out?

Another quick question: I forget, what word did they replace with 'fiendlord'?

Scarecrow said:
So, I'm at the part where I fight
Magus
for the second time, and have a question. In previous play throughs, I've never killed him. Does anything substantial happen if you do decide to take him out?

When you beat the game, Frog will regain human form

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
The new dungeons really suck mostly. That's a shame. It's still new content thought. And even the worse of it, the Primeval Fortress is still better than the best area of Chrono Cross. :lol

Jiggy

I wonder what people who prefer Frog's new dialogue would have thought if they kept the old English but actually made it accurate--not confusing "thou" for an object or "thee" for a subject, not sticking "thine" or "mine" in front of a consonant, and so on. It was error-laden in reality, sure, but I still like the concept.

Jiggy37 said:
I wonder what people who prefer Frog's new dialogue would have thought if they kept the old English but actually made it accurate--not confusing "thou" for an object or "thee" for a subject, not sticking "thine" or "mine" in front of a consonant, and so on. It was error-laden in reality, sure, but I still like the concept.

The point is that now Frog actually speaks like everyone else during his time period... and all NPCs of 600 A.D. now speak in a more formalised/archaic manner compared to the people of 1000 A.D. While I still think that the Woolsey translation for the Super Nintendo is one of the best localisation efforts then, the linguistic inaccuracy and inconsistency really bothered me.

D-Back

I'm just curious as I do not own a DS but have played through Chrono Trigger 20 times or so....
What is the new translation for the classic frog line "mayhap a hidden door lurks nigh, let us search the environs"?

Jiggy

Dragona Akehi said:
The point is that now Frog actually speaks like everyone else during his time period... and all NPCs of 600 A.D. now speak in a more formalised/archaic manner compared to the people of 1000 A.D. While I still think that the Woolsey translation for the Super Nintendo is one of the best localisation efforts then, the linguistic inaccuracy and inconsistency really bothered me.
I was just about to say that they could have just changed all the NPC dialogue too, but thinking about it twice, that would have caused problems because of the fiends. Either they would have had identical changes in their language to humans between 600 and 1000 AD or they would have developed the 1000 AD language before humans, and either way it would come across as pretty odd.

On the other hand, it might have been nice foreshadowing for
Magus to stand out as the only one in 600 AD to speak like a 1000 AD or 12000 BC character
, but that would only be a small gain.

In any case, yeah, I understand that inconsistency can be annoying.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm, I beat the game with the new ending, and am kinda confused. I guess I'm gonna have to finally play Chrono Cross to figure out what the hell just happened (and so I can highlight some of the CC-related spoilers posted earlier in this thread).

One of my friends is bound to have it lying in the closet somewhere, heh.

Overall, the extra content was kinda lame. Some of the new items are cool, some aren't. That fucking ridiculous gigantic fetch quest is a poor excuse to add filler.

The other extra content was slightly more interesting but still boring.

I would have liked to see the developers instead use their time to make some extra mini sidequests or something to flesh out the backstory more, or just to add something extra to do. In the main story, some characters have a lot of personal side quests while others do not. I would have liked to see some extra character specific content, particularly.

I had high hopes for the monster arena, but it too was rather meh. Something in the vein of the monster arena of Dragon Quest 8 would have been a lot cooler.

Alternatively, I would have liked to see an arena or coliseum like area where you can fight stupidly hard challenges for big money, big prizes (I loveit!). Something like Final Fantasy 7 or Final Fantasy 10. It's been a while, but I vaguely remember FFX's arena to be one of my favorites, just because it was so hard.

A really hard arena area would be good for this game in particular since it's so damn easy to attain god-like characters even on the first playthrough.

Most of all, I would rather have had the developers not waste time making fetch quests and instead put that time towards cooler stuff like more single, dual, and triple techs.

Mine side-quests where you could unlock more techs would have been sweet. unlockable techs as rewards from a challenge arena would have been sweet.

Hell, a new character would have been really really cool, but probably hard to implement.

Let's see, what else....

Accuracy, Magic Defense, and Stamina capsules would have been nice. Having a quest or something where you can unlock the potential of your character and break the limit on his/her stats would have been really cool.

Extra content quibbles aside, I loved replaying this game again. Chrono Trigger kicks so much ass. Nostalgia FTW.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jiggy37 said:
On the other hand, it might have been nice foreshadowing for
Magus to stand out as the only one in 600 AD to speak like a 1000 AD or 12000 BC character
, but that would only be a small gain.

If done correctly, that would have been subtle and quite awesome.

Scarecrow

speaking of that battle I mentioned, I didn't know it could be a one on one if you have frog in your party. That's pretty neat... also seems to be impossible.

Scratch that. Still, a really awesome fight. What does the item you earn from that battle get you?

acidviper

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I kept him and he did regain anyways. Are you talking about during the epilogue or new+ because the cinematic clearly has him regained?

NeonZ

acidviper said:
I kept him and he did regain anyways. Are you talking about during the epilogue or new+ because the cinematic clearly has him regained?

He regains human form
in the anime ending even with Magus alive
. However, outside of that, to get an ending with
human frog you need to kill Magus and then kill Lavos while Crono is still dead (without getting the Chrono Trigger).

Thermite

Oh my god. I can't believe all this time I thought that Ayla had a tail, when it's really just a piece of her clothing.. *facepalm* :lol

I love Gamestop's description:

gamestop.com said:
If the physics depicted in TV and movies are correct, and we have no reason to doubt that, then messing with the time-space continuum always results in wacky adventures. Join Crono in this updated old-school favorite as he travels through time and space in order to go back to 1982 and throw a football over some mountains to win the state championship.
:lol

IS THE ORIGINAL SNES OPENING ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS VERSION??

I can't believe knowone's asked this. It was a major disappointment to me that it wasn't included in the PSX port (or even unlockable) that I bought awhile back.

If not then this isn't worth purchasing IMO; it's the greatest intro in 16-bit or maybe all gaming history!

If it is included I'm definitely buying this.

Yesterday I found out my place of employment was going out of business at the end of the month, which will leave me with no job and obviously, no income. As you might expect, I was pretty bummed, what with the job market in the state it's in and Christmas coming up and all that. Anyway, I'm not trying to garner sympathy or anything, I just wanted to point out that after having such a horrible day coming home to play Chrono Trigger for a few hours was all I needed to put a huge smile on my face. It basically reminded me why I spend all this time and money on a hobby that some people find worthless. Chrono Trigger won't find me a new job, but it really speaks to how incredible a game it is when even 13 years later it can still temporarily suspend my imagination enough to forget, if even for only a couple hours, that the times ahead might get a little tough.

Alright, that's enough of my livejournal excerpts for now. Aside from the opportunity to hang out on GAF all day, my job sucks so it's probably a blessing in disguise. I mainly just wanted to emphasize again how much I love this damn game.

Shipptnotsold said:
IS THE ORIGINAL SNES OPENING ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS VERSION??

I can't believe knowone's asked this. It was a major disappointment to me that it wasn't included in the PSX port (or even unlockable) that I bought awhile back.

If not then this isn't worth purchasing IMO; it's the greatest intro in 16-bit or maybe all gaming history!

If it is included I'm definitely buying this.

If you play "Classic" mode, then yes.

Dragona Akehi said:
If you play "Classic" mode, then yes.

Wait I got the impression the classic mode just moved everything/the battle commands to the upper screen.
Is the classic mode identical to the original SNES, w/o the added PSX FMVs? And the standard mode includes the added FMVs?

I guess I'd jus' like to know the exact differences b/w the two modes.

Shipptnotsold said:
Wait I got the impression the classic mode just moved everything/the battle commands to the upper screen.
Is the classic mode identical to the original SNES, w/o the added PSX FMVs? And the standard mode includes the added FMVs?

I guess I'd jus' like to know the exact differences b/w the two modes.

Yes. "Classic" mode is basically the SFC version but with a map screen below, and "DS" mode is the one that spaces everything out and has the animated cutscenes.

Kusagari

Dragona Akehi said:

I know it was inaccurate but I really think it gave Frog more character. I always just saw his old English speech as a personality quirk.

Kusagari said:
I know it was inaccurate but I really think it gave Frog more character. I always just saw his old English speech as a personality quirk.

But
in the flashbacks before he was turned into Frog he spoke just like everyone else
. And it isn't because he was trying to hide who he was, either. The Queen knows who he is.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Dragona Akehi said:
Yes. "Classic" mode is basically the SFC version but with a map screen below, and "DS" mode is the one that spaces everything out and has the animated cutscenes.

Yeah but the intro plays before you actually select a game file, and thus has nothing to do with classic vs DS modes. I've tried to start a second file on classic to get the original intro to play somehow, but no dice. Have you managed to kick it off somehow?

Torquill

I agree with Dragona. The fact that he was the only person in the entire space-time continuum that talked like that was always kinda wierd. I thought I would mind the change but the new dialog still sounds more archaic but without being silly.

It's quite impressive. :D

The thing I was most worried about was the sounds. Those are fairly tricky to get just right. There' still some they didn't nail but for the most part it's quite well done.

Torquill

Kusagari said:
I know it was inaccurate but I really think it gave Frog more character.
He's a Frog-Man, does he need more? :lol

In the original translations all the Fiendlord references were just replaced with his name, Magus.

Tathanen said:
Yeah but the intro plays before you actually select a game file, and thus has nothing to do with classic vs DS modes. I've tried to start a second file on classic to get the original intro to play somehow, but no dice. Have you managed to kick it off somehow?

Can someone answer this man?

Scarecrow

I'm at the part where I have to, um, "pheonix down" a certain character. I'm debating whether I should skip this quest in order to get a different ending. I'm torn, as he's a pretty strong team member.

Scarecrow said:
I'm at the part where I have to, um, "pheonix down" a certain character. I'm debating whether I should skip this quest in order to get a different ending. I'm torn, as he's a pretty strong team member.

You can always new game +. Or just try to get the ending first, then go back and do it.

Gato

Banned
Is there anyone here who knows japanese (has played the original SFC Chrono Trigger) and can vouch for the accuracies of the translations between the Super Nintendo and DS versions?

I really don't care for a lost accent. What I'm really curious is how close the translations got to the source material and if anything substantial was lost in translation such as cultural references, jokes, plot devices or even mannerisms in the characters.

I'm bilingual (spanish). I've seen movies that have been dubbed into spanish and there is lots that gets lost in translation. Sometimes the spanish dubs are so bad that the movie turns into a comedy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You have to keep in mind that these adaptations are LOCALIZATIONS, not translations. Certain details and elements will be lost/transformed, to create a customized experience better suited for the intended audience.

That said, I would NOT recommend watching Tropical Thunder by following along with the Hebrew subtitles. Personal experience. :(

Gato said:
Is there anyone here who knows japanese (has played the original SFC Chrono Trigger) and can vouch for the accuracies of the translations between the Super Nintendo and DS versions?

I really don't care for a lost accent. What I'm really curious is how close the translations got to the source material and if anything substantial was lost in translation such as cultural references, jokes, plot devices or even mannerisms in the characters.

I'm bilingual (spanish). I've seen movies that have been dubbed into spanish and there is lots that gets lost in translation. Sometimes the spanish dubs are so bad that the movie turns into a comedy.
This topic is a can of worms around here. It leads to fighty-fights and people being banned and mercilessly mocked. It sounds to me like you're on the business end of the beating stick in this argument, so probably better to just walk away. :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tathanen said:
I've tried many ways earlier today. If it's there, I couldn't find a way to make it play either.

Mejilan

Looks like the original SNES opening is gone. The option to switch back to SNES story events instead of the PSOne cinematics is only for the mid-quest scenes, as far as I can tell.

Torquill said:
In the original translations all the Fiendlord references were just replaced with his name, Magus.
See, this always confused me. I always thought Magus was his title and Crono's party just called him that because that's all they really knew.

Yet people seem to insist he
renamed himself Magus after coming to 600 A.D.
when I assumed everyone called him Magus because he was The Magus, not because he pretended it was his name.

<------------ Click my tag for a rundown.

Gato said:

Gato

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
This topic is a can of worms around here. It leads to fighty-fights and people being banned and mercilessly mocked. It sounds to me like you're on the business end of the beating stick in this argument, so probably better to just walk away. :p

Nu.gif

Fuu

ShockingAlberto said:
See, this always confused me. I always thought Magus was his title and Crono's party just called him that because that's all they really knew.

Yet people seem to insist he
renamed himself Magus after coming to 600 A.D.
when I assumed everyone called him Magus because he was The Magus, not because he pretended it was his name.
I'm pretty sure it's a title the ones around him started using, as in magician, mage. Considering that in the Japanese version it's Maoh, it fits.

Maybe it's a matter of two titles, humans and those who don't know the "official" title use Fiendlord, and monsters/fiends use Magus.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dragona Akehi said:

Though, it doesn't matter because
even if you don't kill Magus, Glenn is a human in the animated ending movie where Crono and Marle get married. :D

Scarecrow said:

Save before you
use the chrono trigger

Dragona Akehi said:

Nope. the FMV option is independent of the mode you choose.

Mejilan

Yep. You can independently select classic vs DS mode interface and SNES vs PSOne cutscenes. Also, DS mode interface allows for both touch controls and traditional button controls. So basically, there's no real reason to go for the classic interface. It's nice to have the combat view uncluttered and practically HUD free (minus those handy HP/AP bars, of course!)

Fuu

Yup, the new interface is much more practical. I've been using it with buttons and I'm very satisfied.

Still no original opening though. I don't care that much but it would be nice to have it, would make this version an even more "definitive" one.

Even though it's unfortunate that it's lacking the SNES intro, that's a small price to pay for how good of a port this is. I haven't reached the bonus content yet, but I'm pretty close to preferring this to the original if only for the uncluttered DS mode. I underestimated how great it is to have a practically window free screen and after adjusting at first, I really like the way the battle commands are set up on the bottom.

Oh and I finally got a chance to listen to my bonus soundtrack last night and although I really do appreciate the full color packaging and cd label and the nice little note from Mitsuda, the fact that it's only two incredible sounding tracks sucks. I would gladly pay for a full length album of orchestrated tracks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mejilan said:
Yep. You can independently select classic vs DS mode interface and SNES vs PSOne cutscenes. Also, DS mode interface allows for both touch controls and traditional button controls. So basically, there's no real reason to go for the classic interface. It's nice to have the combat view uncluttered and practically HUD free (minus those handy HP/AP bars, of course!)

Honestly, the menus are fucking unreadable in classic. They're also an eye sore.

DS mode is better in every conceivable way.

Fuu

Thanks for the link, baphometbones. It was pretty cool seeing an earlier version of the map and battles.

Thanks guys for the info...
...don't understand why S-E excluded that awesome intro along with the chrono trigger theme song! Crono's theme later in the game doesn't count; it's incomplete iirc. So the only way to hear the original "Chrono Trigger" theme is via the sound test! (probably unlockable).

Pitiful.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
thetrin said:
Honestly, the menus are fucking unreadable in classic. They're also an eye sore.

DS mode is better in every conceivable way.

I used DS mode until around the first boss before I got sick of it and went back to classic. I hated flicking my eyes back and forth between screens just to see my commands. Besides, classic is what I'm used to.

Top Bottom