• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

MoogPaul

Iam Canadian said:
I used DS mode until around the first boss before I got sick of it and went back to classic. I hated flicking my eyes back and forth between screens just to see my commands. Besides, classic is what I'm used to.
I hope you don't like playing rpgs on the ds then. This seems to be the current trend, at least with Squeenix. DQ4 and FF4 also play out this way.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Iam Canadian said:
I used DS mode until around the first boss before I got sick of it and went back to classic. I hated flicking my eyes back and forth between screens just to see my commands. Besides, classic is what I'm used to.

I agree. I like the uncluttered look DS mode gives to the battle field, but I just don't like the feel of taking my eyes off of things. Plus, having played the SNES version so many times, I'm just so much quicker using Classic Mode.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
MoogPaul said:
I hope you don't like playing rpgs on the ds then. This seems to be the current trend, at least with Squeenix. DQ4 and FF4 also play out this way.

Actually, this is the only RPG I've played on the DS in which this has bothered me. I've played both FFIV and DQIV, among several others, and I didn't have a problem. Heck, I was able to handle The World Ends With You and that game is pretty hectic with its dual-screen mechanic.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to beat this without grinding, but damn, the Golem Twins were such a bitch. The things killed Crono and Frog right before one of them went down, so it was up to Marle equipped with the Guardian Helm to take them down. Luckily, I coaxed the remaining Golem into repeating Water attacks, which barely scratched Marle, allowing me to keep chipping away at its health.

acidviper

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
I'm trying to beat this without grinding, but damn, the Golem Twins were such a bitch. The things killed Crono and Frog right before one of them went down, so it was up to Marle equipped with the Guardian Helm to take them down. Luckily, I coaxed the remaining Golem into repeating Water attacks, which barely scratched Marle, allowing me to keep chipping away at its health.
just use fire absorb/halving armors(red vest, ruby vest) and don't use physical attacks, only lucca fire attacks

MoogPaul

ahoyhoy said:

those mysterious boxes in 600AD/1000AD help with the golem twins.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okay so.. those hp/mp bars on the top screen during battles, over your dudes' heads. I don't have those, in DS mode. Are they only in classic mode? Or can I turn them on somehow? I'd really like them. ;_;

Tathanen said:
Okay so.. those hp/mp bars on the top screen during battles, over your dudes' heads. I don't have those, in DS mode. Are they only in classic mode? Or can I turn them on somehow? I'd really like them. ;_;

Do you mean the floating mini-boxes with your HP and ATB gauges? I think you can turn em on whatever mode you're on. In fact, I first saw them on DS mode when I turned em on manually. o_o

JaseMath

Iam Canadian said:
This.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Do you mean the floating mini-boxes with your HP and ATB gauges? I think you can turn em on whatever mode you're on. In fact, I first saw them on DS mode when I turned em on manually. o_o

So THAT'S what "Status Bars" are in the menu! Crap! I would've had those on from the start!

Thanks. ;_;

Nikorasu

One question as I still haven't gotten my import copy from Play-asia yet, despite having shipped on release day. :mad:

Are the anime cutscenes still independent from in-game cutscenes? In the PSX version you would see the anime version of a scene play, then as soon as it was over you would see the same thing again from the original game. It would be nice to get an option to have one or the other.

Joei said:
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.

comics_bwHobbes.gif

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Joei said:
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.
This.

Nikorasu said:
One question as I still haven't gotten my import copy from Play-asia yet, despite having shipped on release day. :mad:

Are the anime cutscenes still independent from in-game cutscenes? In the PSX version you would see the anime version of a scene play, then as soon as it was over you would see the same thing again from the original game. It would be nice to get an option to have one or the other.
Anime scenes on = both anime scenes and in-game scenes.
Anime scenes off = only in-game scenes.

There's no option to eliminate the in-game graphics version.

redstar918

Neo Member
The GREATEST Addition to the retranslation by far is
the joke that occurs when Robo pretends to be sick when you are abducted onto the Blackbird.

This is such an excellent excellent game, I am having way to much fun with this ^^

Nikorasu said:

The anime cutscenes are indeed independent of the actual game's proceedings.

redstar918 said:
The GREATEST Addition to the retranslation by far is
the joke that occurs when Robo pretends to be sick when you are abducted onto the Blackbird.

This is such an excellent excellent game, I am having way to much fun with this ^^

I gotta try this now.

redstar918

Neo Member
ahoyhoy said:

Also, the Golem Twins (and the solo Golem earlier) are susceptible to
Slow. Just have Ayla and Robo use Boogie. Their slowed down enough that you usually have enough time for Robo to pull off one or two heal beams while Crono and Ayla use Duel techs for Massive damage.

allreal

I need help with
magus
i dont remember him being this hard? also what am i suposed to do so he joins my party? and is there any place to buy phoenix down/athenian water?

allreal said:
I need help with
magus
i dont remember him being this hard? also what am i suposed to do so he joins my party? and is there any place to buy phoenix down/athenian water?

Before pummeling
Magus
with spells, hit him with the
Masamune
every round to lower his inherent
Magic Defense
. Helps a bunch, especially before the second phase of the battle I think.

redstar918 said:
Also, the Golem Twins (and the solo Golem earlier) are susceptible to
Slow. Just have Ayla and Robo use Boogie. Their slowed down enough that you usually have enough time for Robo to pull off one or two heal beams while Crono and Ayla use Duel techs for Massive damage.

It's better if you use Hypnowave to make them go to sleep.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
acidviper said:
just use fire absorb/halving armors(red vest, ruby vest) and don't use physical attacks, only lucca fire attacks

I still beat it, but yeah, it would have helped a lot if I hadn't sold all of those...

acidviper

Banned
Anyone have a good strategy of capsule usage?
I give Chrono all the magic ones and strength ones, but I don't know what to do with speed?
If you are 15/16/** speed and you use the haste hat does it go any faster?

So I'm currently playing through this for the first time basically (only got up to
the first time at 2300 A.D. before meeting Robo
on my first playthrough of it) and I'm having a great time. The battle system works amazingly well and I love how it doesn't explicitly tell you where to go but you have a general idea which is something I miss in this day and age.

I'm currently at the point where I'm going into
Magic Cave to fight Magus
and I've got Chrono at 19, Frog at 17 and the rest at 18. I'm probably going to take Robo with me since he can heal and is just as strong as the other two that I can't change, but are there any advantages to having Marle or Lucca in my party?

Anyway, I'm loving it so far.

EDIT: Wait, I can fight
Lavos
at the moment? Nice. No chance I'll beat him though. :lol

JaseMath

Orbitcube said:
So I'm currently playing through this for the first time basically (only got up to
on my first playthrough of it) and I'm having a great time. The battle system works amazingly well and I love how it doesn't explicitly tell you where to go but you have a general idea which is something I miss in this day and age.

and I've got Chrono at 19, Frog at 17 and the rest at 18. I'm probably going to take Robo with me since he can heal and is just as strong as the other two that I can't change, but are there any advantages to having Marle or Lucca in my party?

Lavos

Don't want to spoil anything for you (being it's your first time and all...), but there's a fight coming up where you may want a spell like Aura Whirl handy. Just sayin'...

And yeah, this game hasn't aged a day - I'm actually kind of shocked as to how well it still holds up.

Blizzard

Banned
The music...it's good. ;_; I beat a battle and then the frog dude popped up and it was all DAH DADADADA DA DAAADADAAAAAAA

I think it's bringing back memories I didn't know I had. I feel like this was a port made with love and care.

MoogPaul

Orbitcube said:

Lavos

Marle eventually learns haste, which I consider standard for any CT boss fight.

GG-Duo

First time playing CT - just got to the prison part.

Frog already rocks. I'm amazed by how much character they can put into him by just dialog and sprite animation alone.

Jswanko

Need some help, just got the first half of the masamune sword and im trying to find frog. Ive looked all over the cursed forest but i dont see him.

MrDaravon

Jswanko said:
Need some help, just got the first half of the masamune sword and im trying to find frog. Ive looked all over the cursed forest but i dont see him.

There's a ladder going down hidden behind the back of the bush at the far north end of the map.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm stuck aswell. I'm in the past again. I met Frog in the forest but he doesn't want to come with me. I went up that mountain but there's nothing at the top, just a savepoint. Did miss something before coming here?

User2k

I was trying to push off this game and leave in my backlog... but I couldn't resist. :(.
I just made it to the end of time, for the first time. Such a fantastic title.

Joei

Aadil said:
How do i get
Magus to join my party?

If I recall correctly,
you have an opportunity to fight him in 12000 BC. I believe you have to decline his challenge to battle and he'll join. I think this is setup after all the Zeal stuff goes down and right before you have the option to do all the sidequests.

Barrett2

I haven't played this in over a week, too busy with finals and my PS3 Black Friday deals.

As soon as I get on that plane to fly home, however, this game is getting played!

As a first time player, the music is what impresses me the most. So good...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Teetris said:
I'm stuck aswell. I'm in the past again. I met Frog in the forest but he doesn't want to come with me. I went up that mountain but there's nothing at the top, just a savepoint. Did miss something before coming here?

You have to get the Masamune repaired first.

Fireblend

Banned
Teetris said:
Do you have both halves of masamune already? If so, go back to 1000AD, where Melchior lives to have it repaired.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh, nevermind. I'm stupid. Found the cave in which the Masamune is. I thought you would head back if you went down at the savepoint. :lol

Fireblend

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
But not before
retrieving Dreamstone from 65,000,000 B.C.
Aren't you supposed to
first visit melchior, who will tell you that you need the dreamstone to get it repaired? Either way I didn't want to give that away :p

Finished
the fiendlord's Keep
. There were some very tough battles in there, but I did make it. Haste and Aura Whirl really helped for
Slash and Magus
; thanks JasonMCG. I'm really loving it so far (I guess I'm about halfway-ish after beating
Magus in the Fiendlord's Keep
?) and I really can't wait to keep playing later tonight.

so how does Chrono Trigger look on the DS Lite screen? Did it make the transition well? All of the vidoes online make it look fuzzy, but I assume the resolution on the DS screen makes CT look somewhat acceptable.

epmode

It looks great, honestly. Definitive port and all that. You may get some ghosting when scrolling the screen but that's up to your DS model.

Gamecocks625 said:
so how does Chrono Trigger look on the DS Lite screen? Did it make the transition well? All of the vidoes online make it look fuzzy, but I assume the resolution on the DS screen makes CT look somewhat acceptable.

It looks good. Text is nice and crisp, graphics from the 16 bit era holds up, and you might even notice a little more detail now since you're playing on an LCD upclose.

Orbitcube said:
Finished
the fiendlord's Keep
. There were some very tough battles in there, but I did make it. Haste and Aura Whirl really helped for
Slash and Magus
; thanks JasonMCG. I'm really loving it so far (I guess I'm about halfway-ish after beating
Magus in the Fiendlord's Keep
?) and I really can't wait to keep playing later tonight.

That's the first semi-challenging part of the game and I would say you're about halfway through, but that depends on how many sidequests you end up doing. They're all worth completing though.

I have to say
Magus' Castle
is still a highlight of the game for me. I always feel really satisfied after I finish it. It really conveys the feeling of your party overcoming huge odds with the frequency of the normal battles and having to deal with
Ozzie, Slash, and Flea before moving on to Magus himself
. Personally, I feel
that opening pan from the base of the Keep with the bats flying up
is one of the most memorable scenes in gaming.

Gamecocks625 said:

It looks fantastic to me. This is the definitive version of the game for me now. I will agree with epmode that you might see some slight, slight ghosting but I adjusted to it very quickly and I honestly don't know if I'm even really seeing it or if I'm just not used to the quicker running animation being the new default.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game is absolutely gorgeous. Probably the best looking 16-bit RPG, imho, and it made the transition beautifully.

w1ndst0rm

Am I under leveled or is Magus supposed to utterly destroy me like that? I was in shock.

Are there "side missions" to do before I go back?

Torquill

My opinion of the new content:

Lost Sanctum:
Sound concept, bit of back and forth in one area between two time periods. Having each effect the other rather than just a one way relationship. But they took it WAAAAYYYY too far with that fucking mountain. Kills the entire thing. They missed the entire point of what makes most CT content so good. It's short, punchy, too the point, and FREE OF FILLER.

Vortex:
Well executed. I could have done without the trial and error portion of the frozen cliffs but other than that I enjoyed myself. I'm torn on the Dalton twist. On the one hand it helps explain the utterly asinine notion that Porre turns from a small village into a military empire in 5 years. On the other hand part of me knows it was kinda just forced in there. Dream Devourer is pure delicious awesome. New ending is kinda weak and too ambiguous as to what they're trying to express/explain with that.

w1ndst0rm said:
Am I under leveled or is Magus supposed to utterly destroy me like that? I was in shock.

Are there "side missions" to do before I go back?
He crushed me the first time I fought him, tried again (realising how he works) and just beat him (Frog dealt the final blow).
What level are your party members?

Evlar

Banned
Mejilan said:
The game is absolutely gorgeous. Probably the best looking 16-bit RPG, imho, and it made the transition beautifully.
That honor goes to Yoshi's Island but Chrono Trigger is indeed beautiful. Chrono Trigger holds the prize for best 16-bit soundtrack though, and there's no real competition.

Top Bottom