• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Aeana

Segata Sanshiro said:
You've got some pretty magic eyes if you think DQIV DS looks "pretty different" from DQIV PSX. They used the same sprites, the same textures and 3d models for the environments, the same music, the same animations for the enemies in battles, and even the same spell effects for the most part. This game is either a port or Arte Piazza's got some expert fucking tracers.

It's a port.

However, the area maps are condensed considerably, there are several new battle backgrounds, the spell effects are completely redone, enemy attack animations are (mostly) the same but there are idle animations, and there are a lot of little graphical improvements all over the place (my favorite is the raft, the way it bobs around in the water).

EDIT: And of course the menu system was redone.

Aeana said:
It's a port.

However, the area maps are condensed considerably, there are several new battle backgrounds, the spell effects are completely redone, enemy attack animations are (mostly) the same but there are idle animations, and there are a lot of little graphical improvements all over the place (my favorite is the raft, the way it bobs around in the water).

EDIT: And of course the menu system was redone.
sonicr.gif

mollipen

So, I seem to recall hearing that the Japanese version has full English text as an option. Has there been any word if this will be the same with the US version? I was going to get the Japanese version of the game for my wife, but if I can get a cheaper US version and still give her the option to play it in Japanese, that would be the better route I'm thinking.

shidoshi said:
So, I seem to recall hearing that the Japanese version has full English text as an option. Has there been any word if this will be the same with the US version? I was going to get the Japanese version of the game for my wife, but if I can get a cheaper US version and still give her the option to play it in Japanese, that would be the better route I'm thinking.
The Japanese version of ChronoTDS auto selects the language for you, depending on the language set with the actual DS. My import opened up to English right away without notice.

shidoshi said:
I've heard they took the option out of the US version, but I don't know for sure.

mollipen

ThaiGrocer said:
The Japanese version of ChronoTDS auto selects the language for you, depending on the language set with the actual DS. My import opened up to English right away without notice.

Right, I'm just wondering if anybody might know if that's going to be the same for the US version or not. (Obviously it's hard to know now, but I don't know if any mention of that feature being taken out made have been made.)

shidoshi said:
Right, I'm just wondering if anybody might know if that's going to be the same for the US version or not. (Obviously it's hard to know now, but I don't know if any mention of that feature being taken out made have been made.)
Sorry. You might have noticed that I don't know how to read...

You'll have wait out for information on this one. I hope it's just the Japanese version with different packaging.

edit: I was wrong. The Japanese version can change the language immediately from page 4 in the options menu.

kiryogi

Banned
Traded in my Fable 2 earlier this week to pay off CT DS. Really can't wait. Also done a little more research into it... After 13 long years. That's all I can say. I'm excited...

JaMarco

kiryogi said:
Traded in my Fable 2 earlier this week to pay off CT DS. Really can't wait. Also done a little more research into it... After 13 long years. That's all I can say. I'm excited...
this is your first time playing it?

kiryogi

Banned
Case said:
this is your first time playing it?

Nope. I was trying to word it vaguely to avoid spoilers. That's all.

Ending spoilers thoughts don't read if you don't want to be spoiled!

What I should have said exactly was that for the last 13 years, I replayed Trigger over and over to find this new ending. Even though it's tied up in Cross, how they play it out here is extremely tragic. Realistically tho, it was more like during the first 3 years of that 13 year span. :lol

Full details here...

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=lWc3UymosAM

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
not one fucking video review? Not one fucking retrospective fap-fest?

The internet is letting me down and making it hard to convince my wife to try it out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I finally watched the new ending. They made Magus into a
pussy

If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

I just literally cannot reconcile that Magus with this Magus.
I don't care if there are tens of thousands of Janus Zeals in ten of thousands of parallel timelines. None of them should ever stoop to this. Magus was not Squall Leonhart with a scythe. He was never intended to be a depressed, washed-up failure of a mortal. The entire concept of his character had a certain symmetry with the trait of perseverance, against any and all odds. This is the guy who says "there's a letter here. Shall we burn it?" This is the guy who turns Frog into a frog just because he feels like it. This is a guy who would willingly go toe-to-toe with Lavos, alone, just to fight until the bitter end, and not give up until Lavos literally destroyed every last molecule of his body

kiryogi

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I finally watched the new ending. They made Magus into a
pussy

If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

I just literally cannot reconcile that Magus with this Magus.
I don't care if there are tens of thousands of Janus Zeals in ten of thousands of parallel timelines. None of them should ever stoop to this. Magus was not Squall Leonhart with a scythe. He was never intended to be a depressed, washed-up failure of a mortal. The entire concept of his character had a certain symmetry with the trait of perseverance, against any and all odds. This is the guy who says "there's a letter here. Shall we burn it?" This is the guy who turns Frog into a frog just because he feels like it. This is a guy who would willingly go toe-to-toe with Lavos, alone, just to fight until the bitter end, and not give up until Lavos literally destroyed every last molecule of his body

The thing here is though, it's that his sister told him straight up to give up. I'd say that's something of a major matter to the guy. He only cared about a few things. Destroying Lavos, and rescuing his sister. Having her tell him to just forget about her was probably a massive blow. But yeah, this ending, absolutely, sucks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chrono Trigger is still fucking awesome after all these years. I got a buddy to pick it up after he found out that the JP version has english.

I think he's still in the Millennium Fair, but he's already loving it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Stumpokapow said:
With most of the post-Zeal bosses, about 50% of all party combinations can demolish them and the other 50 you might need to grind a bit. I pretty much never play any of the gimped parties, though, so I haven't much noticed difficulty issues arising :p
My last time through was Magus, Ayla and Robo. Not sure who I will do this time. There's gotta be a more gimped party.

bathala

Banned
Darklord said:
I just saw the Gamespot score of 8.5. What a load of shit, this is the best JRPG ever made. How doesn't it get a 9?
wat an ignorant statement.
if squareenix release a new chrono trigger with new color palette it should be 9-10 why because its a classic.

look CT is great (reason I played RPG) but i agree with the reviews

Spruchy

Why does anyone give a shit about the review scores? You know EXACTLY what to expect, a great game with some throwaway bonus features portable for the first time. You don't need to justify your purchase with this one (although the ShitEnix tax does make you want to).

Spruchy said:
Why does anyone give a shit about the review scores? You know EXACTLY what to expect, a great game with some throwaway bonus features portable for the first time. You don't need to justify your purchase with this one (although the ShitEnix tax does make you want to).

Truer words have never been spoken on GAF.

This is the GOTF; you don't need Gamespot to tell you that.

bathala

Banned
Spruchy said:
really, if u like the game just buy it or rent it. Don't let another person tell you wat to buy or not to

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
A Link to the Snitch said:
I don't think I've never not used Crono when I was allowed to switch characters.
Not used Crono
Never not used Crono means always used Crono
Don't think you've always used Crono... Okay.
Yeah, I like being able to ditch the main character. Something really neat about that. I'm thinking this time may be Lucca, Frog and someone who really makes that party not good.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
kiryogi said:
The thing here is though, it's that his sister told him straight up to give up. I'd say that's something of a major matter to the guy. He only cared about a few things. Destroying Lavos, and rescuing his sister. Having her tell him to just forget about her was probably a massive blow. But yeah, this ending, absolutely, sucks.

I'm just going to post what a friend of mine posted in another forum, since it reflects my feelings about this issue perfectly:

It's just funny because Magus was the one and only Chrono Trigger playable character who was spared the insult of a travesty of a character assassination in Chrono Cross. (I take that partially back, Frog and Ayla weren't harmed much to my knowledge in CC, but only because they returned to their previous eras.)

But in CC, Crono and Marle's kingdom is taken over by Porre soldiers and they're (most likely) killed. I'm not exactly sure how Crono and Marle losing such a fight is even justified, or if it could be justified, but we're not even given the luxury of a cutscene resolving any loose ends or helping us feel closure with the loss of those characters. Lucca, of course, loses her life and her orphanage to...what exactly? Harle and Lynx's sneak attack? And we're given no closure with her, either. Schala is Kid and also Lavos or some shit. And Robo? I don't even remember what the fuck was going on Robo but it was something unnecessarily convoluted that did the once-lovable character absolutely no justice whatsoever.

Then there's Magus, who you could take some solace in not having been gang-raped by the idiotic "plot twists" of Chrono Cross...
...until just now, when Chrono Trigger DS did the dirty deed.

Let me reiterate that my problem with Chrono Cross isn't even the notion that the game attempted to have unhappy endings for the prequel's main characters! I mean, it does fly in the face of the happy, colorful mood of Trigger to leave the original cast mostly miserable, but the real problem with Cross was that the misery of Trigger's main characters was an afterthought It was as if CC was openly insulting everyone who ever gave the slightest damn about the main characters in CT; not only are they are going to be dead, dying, or suffering, but we're not even going to let you see what happened!!! And they definitely didn't provide much a justifiable, story-driven reason for all the shit to hit the fan, either.

Now they've roped Magus into this travesty, and honestly, I'd rather Magus have been killed then watch him mope around as this year's reincarnation of Squall Leonhart. "Hey, my sister I've fought so hard to protect and was once willing to sacrifice so much for said a few sentences to me! Whatever. Guess I'll just follow her advice and do absolutely nothing." There was no final quip of Earth-shattering defiance, no last hurrah for Magus standing firm against the odds. He just gave up, and set us up for...well, nothing, given that the "new" ending teases Magus having a starring role in Chrono Cross but Magus is actually not anywhere to be found in Chrono Cross.

Even forgetting about how Chrono Cross and CT DS' new ending completely destroy any purpose whatsoever to the characters of Trigger, even objectively speaking, this "new ending" sucks. It resolves absolutely nothing and requires a remake of Chrono Cross to make even the slightest bit of sense. But not only would Chrono Cross need to be remade, the entire plotline of Cross would have to be altered for this new ending to make any sense. The dialogue between Magus and Schala there is painfully vague, resolves absolutely nothing and only esoterically, through Schala, has any connection whatsoever with Chrono Cross. (Despite the notion that Schala tells her own brother to give up while apparently reserving a greater degree of hope for a bunch of total and absolute strangers in Chrono Cross).

Beyond that, remember how FFVI -- a game much more grim in atmosphere and tone than the trimuphant time-traveling nature of CT -- ended? You got a nice little "Thank you" message from the characters and epic closure to everything. This ends by telling you..."Thanks for playing?" Nope. "Great job, now here's your reward?" Nope. The message to gamers is literally you've come this far just to give up. To give up!!! That is the final and lasting image of this new "true ending" to the game!! Congratulations, now...give up because you can't win. Well, that's pleasant.

The irony is that Chrono Trigger is a marvelous game compared to Chrono Cross and nearly any other, and yet CT DS' ending makes it seem as if CT is just some pathetic tiny prologue to the real action in Chrono Cross, like "congrats for beating the demo, now buy the real product and enjoy the real thing!" It should be the other way around. It's just interesting how CT is being revised to effectively minimize its impact and maximize the relative importance of the events in CC (all the CT characters end up dead or with amnesia, after all.) It really seems to me a rather profound insult, to be completely honest, and it's an insult that transcends Magus' characterization and really has a startling impact on the entire CT "experience" -- hence, why I'm so upset about it.

RevenantKioku

While I haven't seen this new ending and I'm not reading the spoilers, I can only assume from Regulus Tera's posting history that it's probably pretty awesome.

Chrono Trigger fans take this stuff way too seriously. :/

It's just an alternate ending, guys. You can even pretend Chrono Cross itself is just an alternate ending rather easily. The physics of the Chrono universe encourage that kind of thing, even.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RevenantKioku said:
While I haven't seen this new ending and I'm not reading the spoilers, I can only assume from Regulus Tera's posting history that it's probably pretty awesome.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Chrono Trigger fans take this stuff way too seriously. :/

You two should read my Kingdom Hearts II rant one day.

Garcia

Segata Sanshiro said:
You've got some pretty magic eyes if you think DQIV DS looks "pretty different" from DQIV PSX.

I've been looking videos of the PSX version and there's a huge difference between both versions. They've been quoted already and one of the most significant difference is the implementation of sprite animations, idle and performing actions. They add an extra charm to the entire game, and all of them are beautifully done.

I think that's enough to consider both games quite different.

Garcia said:
I've been looking videos of the PSX version and there's a huge difference between both versions. They've been quoted already and one of the most significant difference is the implementation of sprite animations, idle and performing actions. They add an extra charm to the entire game, and all of them are beautifully done.

I think that's enough to consider both games quite different.
sonicr.gif

Ugh, I probably won't be able to get my copy until December 1st due to the holidays. I'm not highlighting those ending spoilers, but I can't wait to see it. I could honestly care less what it does to the story as long as it's more content. I won't be upset with anything until they announce the third Chrono for cellphones.

RevenantKioku said:
My last time through was Magus, Ayla and Robo. Not sure who I will do this time. There's gotta be a more gimped party.

Ha, that's actually a party I used when I played the original. They really do suck together, but it just looks cool having a dark mage, a cavegirl, and a robot on the same team. The party combinations are probably one of the main reasons I've been able to replay the game so much.

Can someone tell me can you get the new ending on the first playthru or does it have to be in a new game plus? Cause i really want to get the orginal ending first then get the new one.

No spoilers please but is the new ending a continuation of the old one or is it entirly differnt to begin with

psy18

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Can someone tell me can you get the new ending on the first playthru or does it have to be in a new game plus? Cause i really want to get the orginal ending first then get the new one.

No spoilers please but is the new ending a continuation of the old one or is it entirly differnt to begin with

From what I've read you'll have to get the original ending first, which will open 3 new dungeons. Then you beat those new dungeons (you can do it with the same save file) and you'll have the option to beat the new boss.

kiryogi

Banned
To stir the pot further more, there's something that video didn't include.

After it shows Magus walking off in the forest, it shows the fall of Guardia. Also, one of the new dungeons basically tell you that Dalton is behind the Porre uprising.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've played CT quite a few times, but I never really knew there were "good" and "bad" party combos. I just played who I liked. Who is considered a good team? Right now, I'm using Frog, Marle and Crono.

tokkun

thetrin said:
I've played CT quite a few times, but I never really knew there were "good" and "bad" party combos. I just played who I liked. Who is considered a good team? Right now, I'm using Frog, Marle and Crono.

I think that's probably the best team, at least late in the game.

Technically, there's not really "good" or "bad" teams but some of the combo techs available to certain line ups can definitely make things easier. I agree that Frog, Crono, and Marle are a really strong team late in the game and probably the most powerful. Switch out Lucca for Frog and that's another really good one.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
thetrin said:
I've never gave too much thought to it either. I usually go with Crono, Frog and Robo.

thetrin

I'm right about to
fight Magus in 600 AD after defeating Slash and Flea
so I'm not exactly late in the game. I only play when I'm on the train or at work (been playing GoW2 Horde or Left 4 Dead when I'm at home). Regardless, it's a damn good team.

Besides variety and number of dual techs, what other factors do people consider when making a "good" or "bad" party?

tokkun

thetrin said:
Besides variety and number of dual techs, what other factors do people consider when making a "good" or "bad" party?

Healing techs and character speed. If you have no decent healing and all the characters are slow, it makes for a bad party.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I generally go Crono, Ayla, whoever. Whoever is normally Robo, Lucca, Frog, or
Magus
(am I seriously spoilering that?). Very rarely use Marle endgame.

Top Bottom