• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Stumpokapow said:
I generally go Crono, Ayla, whoever. Whoever is normally Robo, Lucca, Frog, or
Magus
(am I seriously spoilering that?). Very rarely use Marle endgame.

I've been debating whether or not to spoiler it myself. It's interesting you don't use Marle, I found as a healer she was unmatched and I remember always having her equipped with a pretty decent bow. I guess she has to be somewhat powerful though
since it's just her and Crono if you want the developer's ending
. It's been way too long, my copy needs to hurry up and ship.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
baphometbones said:
I've been debating whether or not to spoiler it myself. It's interesting you don't use Marle, I found as a healer she was unmatched and I remember always having her equipped with a pretty decent bow. I guess she has to be somewhat powerful though

Well, to be fair, I normally marathon 3 or 4 playthroughs in a row, so by the end of it all I've **'d everyone :p

ElyrionX

My favourite was Crono, Marle and Ayla when I first played the game more than a decade ago.

And then I replayed it a couple of years back and I used Crono, Frog and Magus. Unfortunately, I don't get any triple techs with this combination so it was kind of boring. Magus rocks though and it kind of sucks that he doesn't have any triple techs with Crono.

Stumpokapow said:
Well, to be fair, I normally marathon 3 or 4 playthroughs in a row, so by the end of it all I've **'d everyone :p

That certainly helps. I have yet to max level everyone, but now that I'll have a version I can easily carry around with me, I plan on going all out.

Dragona Akehi said:
I always end up using Ayla, Marle and Lucca.

That's my
"Crono Rescue Team"
but then I always end up kicking Lucca out for him. I just can't resist Luminaire.

I would switch between either: Crono, Marle, & Frog or Crono, Marle, & Lucca. For fun I used Crono, Frog & Magus.

I'm kind of torn not using Crono during the final battle, but I'm willing to go try something different this time around.

Zoe

I always prefer the Crono, Marle, and Lucca team. I don't think I've ever played through the game with another team unless it was dictated by the plot.

kiryogi said:
Full details here...

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=lWc3UymosAM

:lol

:lol

So are they confirming that Magus is Guile? Or are they leaving that open for another game? I hope it's the latter because I always liked the crack theory that Guile was Magus' cat searching for him.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ElyrionX said:
My favourite was Crono, Marle and Ayla when I first played the game more than a decade ago.

And then I replayed it a couple of years back and I used Crono, Frog and Magus. Unfortunately, I don't get any triple techs with this combination so it was kind of boring. Magus rocks though and it kind of sucks that he doesn't have any triple techs with Crono.

I always thought it was kind of cool that he couldn't triple with people. It fits his character.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damnit, I spent too much cash on games this season but I NEED this. First DS game I'll be seriously playing in a long time.

Time to get my goozex/CAG on... hopefully someone wants my copy of Suikoden 1.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Wait... so in the ending to this game
everyone dies or has amnesia? Is this one of those super mario 2 "it was all just a big dream!" style of endings?
if so, fuck that... yeah I'm not even a chrono trigger fan, and that's a big deal. Fuck endings like that. Is this the only ending possibility or do they go the multi-route?

TheExodu5

Banned
Crono + Ayla + Robo for me.

Falcon Strike is the best dual-tech out there, and has little cost for the amount of damage it does. Robo has the best healing ability (I think it's called Heal Beam), and as long as Robo has enough +magic tabs, he'll heal for a hefty amount (2 tek points for 400 healing on everyone).

Zoe

Extollere said:
everyone dies or has amnesia? Is this one of those super mario 2 "it was all just a big dream!" style of endings?

Only Magus
, from the looks of it.

psy18

Crono + Marl + Ayla for me.
Twin charm (black omen!) + Cube toss. Bit difficult on the group healing but haste is all you need.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dragona Akehi said:
Bleh. There goes hoping they'd retcon Cross like I was hoping.

It was retconned, in a way:

The fragmented dimensions where you face Dalton and others again with differing results than before appear to be from timelines where something went wrong: the heroes being killed, any number of temporal paradoxes, whatever. Fighting your way through them may be repairing the damage to the fabric of time and allowing these shattered dimensions to coalesce into one overarcing timeline. At the end of the road, you find what may be referred to as the "Future Magus".

When he talks to the party, he mentions that they're in the future where Lavos was defeated, but says, "Whether that is the future of the world from which you've come, I do not know. There are as many worlds as there are potentialities." This suggests that he is, in fact, merely the Magus from another timeline, perhaps the one made up of the assorted awful universe fragments you just fought through, and the one that created the Time/Dream Devourer. It is, essentially, the dimension where everyone is a failure. Where Crono can be defeated by mortal men, Lucca is too dumb to realise that fire shouldn't be able to kill her, and Magus is Cloud Strife.

This universe of failure, if you haven't guessed already, is where Chrono Cross takes place, a dimension (two dimensions, actually) that bears only a slight tangental relation to the timeline in which the events and ultimate outcome of Chrono Trigger transpired.

It's bullshit and it's stupid, but it means that the versions of the characters we actually played don't get bitchslapped, so I suppose that's something.

psy18

Extollere said:
if so, fuck that... yeah I'm not even a chrono trigger fan, and that's a big deal. Fuck endings like that. Is this the only ending possibility or do they go the multi-route?

I think the original CT ending will satisfy you. Unless if you continue through CC period which will left question marks in your brain.

Regulus Tera said:
It was retconned, in a way:
*snippy*
It's bullshit and it's stupid, but it means that the versions of the characters we actually played don't get bitchslapped, so I suppose that's something.

What,
So the "fall of guardia" only exist in that universe of failure??

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
psy18 said:
What,
So the "fall of guardia" only exist in that universe of failure??

If we take that the
Dalton who claims he's going to defeat Guardia is from the same universe as Magus Strife
, then yes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just caved and pre-ordered this. Never beat this game back in the day and I am super excited to play during my commute / holiday travels :D

psy18

Regulus Tera said:
If we take that the
Dalton who claims he's going to defeat Guardia is from the same universe as Magus Strife
, then yes.

Well
I think his target is more aimed at Crono & co instead of Guardia. So I doubt he'll be taking Guardia if Crono never existed and interfere with his plan.
Unless if he crossed from the Crono dimension and stuck in that Crono-less dimension and decided to do it anyway. I really doubt that though...
Does the "fall of guardia" still shown in the original ending or only after the new ending?

Red Scarlet

thetrin said:
I'm right about to
fight Magus in 600 AD after defeating Slash and Flea
so I'm not exactly late in the game. I only play when I'm on the train or at work (been playing GoW2 Horde or Left 4 Dead when I'm at home). Regardless, it's a damn good team.

We should play L4D sometime, I play with Pop on Arrival and he lives in southeast Asia or something.

thetrin said:
Besides variety and number of dual techs, what other factors do people consider when making a "good" or "bad" party?

I've gone through with everyone, but I generally don't like Frog, Robo, and Magus too much. Their armor doesn't seem to have good magic defense, so the last boss winds up killing Frog and Robo with 1 attack; maybe there's some better armor to use instead though? And Magus just bores me with his weak overall attacks, lack of dual techs and I'm not really a fan of his few triples.

Dragona Akehi said:
I always end up using Ayla, Marle and Lucca.

That's who I've been going with on replays for a little while; but generally it's almost always been Ayla + __ + __; I like stealing tabs and Last Elixirs with her.

baphometbones said:

You can also get
the developer's ending with Crono by himself
; that's how I got it the first time. Kinda fun.

thetrin said:
I always thought it was kind of cool that he couldn't triple with people. It fits his character.

He has a couple triple techs, I think the Black Stone and Blue? Stone let him do triple techs with some characters. Don't really care for them though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
psy18 said:
Well
I think his target is more aimed at Crono & co instead of Guardia. So I doubt he'll be taking Guardia if Crono never exist.
Unless if he crossed from the Crono dimension and stuck in that Crono-less dimension and decided to do it anyway. I really doubt that though...
Does the "fall of guardia" still shown in the original ending or only after the new ending?

This should answer your question (it's after the original ending): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HPHPiPCkc

Awakened

I pretty much always use Crono, Frog, and Magus for endgame stuff. Frog's Heal is practically broken; it only needs 2 MP and heals the whole party for more and more as he levels up. Luminare and Dark Matter were more than powerful enough for me to care about not having any triple techs. Before you can use Magus, I substitute him with Ayla. I love using Falcon Strike on Giga Gaia and Volt Bite is awesome for the Reptite bosses.

TheExodu5

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I've gone through with everyone, but I generally don't like Frog, Robo, and Magus too much. Their armor doesn't seem to have good magic defense, so the last boss winds up killing Frog and Robo with 1 attack; maybe there's some better armor to use instead though? And Magus just bores me with his weak overall attacks, lack of dual techs and I'm not really a fan of his few triples.

Not sure what armor I had on Robo, but at lvl 40-45ish, he never died from the final boss's attacks in 1 hit. I gave Robo all my +magic tabs, so his 2 tek point heal-all skill would heal the entire party for about 400. He's such an overpowered healer if you give him the +magic tabs.

Chrono + Ayla's Falcon hit also does like 2000 damage to the final boss (except one of the sides, which takes like 50 damage, but it seems to die fairly quickly anyways). At level 40-45, I didn't have a lick of trouble taking Lavos down.

Red Scarlet

I think I'd give them that Nova Armor thing, whatever armor they had, one of the boss attacks would do over 1000 to them, so I started using Frog and Robo less and less due to it.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
PataHikari said:
I told you they wouldn't

Why would they retcon away one of the best RPGs of the PS1 era anyways?

i thought everyone was complaining that they did, now they didn't retcon CC in CTDS? bah i'm confused

Abel

Mr.Wuggles said:
i thought everyone was complaining that they did, now they didn't retcon CC in CTDS? bah i'm confused

BEWARE NEW ENDING SPOILERS

Actually they solidified the bond/connection between CT and CC :D

Someone had asked:

"Is there anything anybody says that would explain why the Time Devourer is called the Dream Devourer in Trigger but Time Devourer in Cross?"

You learn why this is the case in CC actually :)

According to Lucca from Chrono Cross:

"Lucca: And yet, at the same time,
so far from the right answer!
The true beginning was during
the destruction of the ancient
Kingdom of Zeal!

As the palace collapsed around
her, Princess Schala was sucked
into a dimensional vortex along
with the Lavos Mammon Machine.
Schala and Lavos became unified
into one even more powerful
entity that would evolve into
the Devourer of Time.

Filled with the hatred and
sadness of Lavos, half of
Schala's mind became set on
destroying all of existence.
Yet at the same time, the
other half of her mind
desired to save the universe
and to be rescued herself.

As Schala fell through the
time gate in this condition,
she heard your crying
echoing through time...

That is when her story and
yours began to intertwine...
It is also when the past and
the future began to intersect,
and when the world became
divided into two..."

Here are better (readable) quality vids of the new ending :D

Beat the game once, and going to fight the new secret last boss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUxI04eQW2Q&fmt=18

Losing to new secret last boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMAT9Rm5pv0&fmt=18

Defeating new secret last boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvqM4V96_XE&fmt=18

Also in the new secret dungeons, you learn about Dalton's connection to CC, as was mentioned before, and you can get the "Dragon's Tear", an item from CC as well :)

I'm hoping with this new Chrono momentum, they might try to port/re-make CC too :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Abel said:
BEWARE NEW ENDING SPOILERS

Also in the new secret dungeons, you learn about Dalton's connection to CC, as was mentioned before, and you can get the "Dragon's Tear", an item from CC as well :)

Spoilers, of course:

And one non-spoilery one added for good measure:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/8/88/Fffffiendlord.png

Abel said:
I'm hoping with this new Chrono momentum, they might try to port/re-make CC too :D

Hopefully for DS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dragona Akehi said:
Those little comics are hilarious. Where might I find the collection of them?

I found them in the Chrono Trigger DS entry of Chrono Compendium. Those are the only ones, sadly.

psy18 said:
don't forget Lucca in chrono cross. she even somewhat mention crono & team saving the world. So that theory where everyone is failure = CC seems unlikely to me

She was talking about saving the world from Lavos' menace, not
Guardia's fall

Chrono Cross = still the universe of
failure
!

Too awesome to not avatarise.

daltonheehee.png

If you'd like to use it, please rehost.

MrDaravon

FYI, apparently Game Crazy's have the game in-stock today, and my Gamestop is now saying tomorrow (I just got the call), and other people are saying they're being told tomorrow for Gamestop as well. Someone at Gamefaqs who already got his said apparently it comes with a poster of the cover inside the case :)

Loto

SailorDaravon said:
FYI, apparently Game Crazy's have the game in-stock today, and my Gamestop is now saying tomorrow (I just got the call), and other people are saying they're being told tomorrow for Gamestop as well. Someone at Gamefaqs who already got his said apparently it comes with a poster of the cover inside the case :)

I just picked up my copy from Gamecrazy. Ill check the poster... but it did come with a soundtrack.

because it's in my contract, I have to complain about the fact that there is no new secret final boss music.

(althguh that's certainly my favorite battle theme from CT)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*catches up on thread*

Hmmm. You know what I'm going to do?
I'm going to continue taking all of Chrono Cross, and shlumping it under "alternate dimension bullshittery that never actually happened." I think I'll take this new Chrono Trigger ending and similarly banish it.

Yeah.

Top Bottom