• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'd like to see what that reviewer thinks the best strategy games are since that would put his review in better context and help me to understand what characteristics of the genre he places the most value. His "filling up buckets" analogy applies to pretty much every other strategy game out there too, not to mention several other genres.

It's not very informative to me for him to say that Civ5 is a bad strategy game and then not mention what he thinks an example of a good strategy game is, so that I can do a comparison. Judging by the comments, it seems he prefers Civ4 as a strategy game, and that's understandable, I guess, but it's still not that clear, and I'd like to have more examples.

I'd like to hear/read what he thinks about GalCiv2. That game is flat out amazing and you fill up a whole hell of a lot of buckets in it.

and lol@ "Trade routes just get you more money! All you can do is spend it this game sucks!". Nevermind the fact that you can trade more than money.

Sibylus

Banned
Motherfuckin' Polynesians tried to ban my clams. They failed, thankfully. Considering war if they try that shit a second time.

Holy crap @ Arsenal of Democracy in the Freedom tree. I am running that w/ 2 point Aesthetics for perma-friends with all CS's and it's berserk amounts of "free" influence.

Esch

Banned
Holy crap @ Arsenal of Democracy in the Freedom tree. I am running that w/ 2 point Aesthetics for perma-friends with all CS's and it's berserk amounts of "free" influence.
Yep. I would have grabbed this in a second if my production wasnt completely wonder focused right now. But venice has such an absurd cash flow that you can buy whatever you need for a turtling game and then cop the rest from city states.

Maledict

I seem to be getting free units from military city states a lot faster than previously. I'm only playing on King to try things out, buti have the largest army in the world and over half of it was just gifts from city states.

Not really sure what to do with all the horsemen but have wiped out the insanely religious Egypt just in case.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Having fun as Venice, creating the most sprawled out empire ever and just buying Caravans and trading across the map.

Then Napoleon comes in and ruins my fun.

For what is now a culture Civ, Napoleon is still a jerkface.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wait, they fixed France's "lol steamengine" stuff?
Yeah they got changed a lot. Now, their UA is double themeing bonus from great works of art, as well as a unique improvement that adds culture or something.

I might actually try them out now. I didnt feel. Like using them at all before.

I made a world religion, a world ideology, and banned gold. I love this game. Non-war strategies now actually matter outside of buying your way to success.

Started my first game last night as Shosgsoshsoshsone Empire. Unfortunately I didn't seem to find too many ruins when I started but those I did, I tried to get technology. I agree with what others have said about money being tight but once you get some upgrades and tech into the trade routes, you can get (so far for me) almost 20gpt from them (and guilds Etc still boost outpost output nicely). Tourism seems a bit weak at the moment insomuch as it seems a bit basic and pointless, but I'll persevere. I've managed to avoid war entirely at the moment and I'm now into the modern era - I'll explore Ideologies with my next policy.

The only map where England is disadvantaged is Pangea - there's certainly enough naval action on a continents map to abuse their UA as well as the ship of the line.

You have to remember, English Longbows are probably one of the three best UUs in the game, along with Cho-Ko-Nus and Keshik's. They are effectively artillery two eras early and in the hands of a player are absurdly powerful - plus their promotion means you get2 range Gatling guns, machine guns and bazook's which are also ridiculous.

The Ship of the Line is the best unique naval unit in the game, hands down - again, on any map other than Pangea hitting SotL should mean the death of every empire on a coast.

I forgot about this

2 range machineguns?

I have the most incredible erection

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah they got changed a lot. Now, their UA is double themeing bonus from great works of art, as well as a unique improvement that adds culture or something.

I might actually try them out now. I didnt feel. Like using them at all before.

Wow, France actually became interesting to use now.

Meteorain

So basically I have noticed that the barbarians come in packs of 3 during the early stages of the game. Building an early warrior/archer seems to be vital.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well, first playthru lost.
As Rome.

Difficulty definitely has been amped up; i used to be able to win on Deity and i'm now struggling on Emperor, perhaps it's been the months of waiting.

Re-trying venice, anyone has ideas?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just gave Assyria a shot and they're pretty awesome, was running around taking capitals and getting all the sweet tech that people had been rushing.

Petrie

Banned
Tried playing as Brazil and going straight for tourism. I need to better learn what the right track is to such victory, as my happiness seemed to fall quickly, I got beat to the pyramids after lots of turns wasted on them, and all in all just got handily owned.

I'm not very good at this game. Even on normal.

Shaldome

After reading through the comments in this thread it seems you can get away now with less war against the AI, which suits my play style. Nevertheless I think I still have to force myself to learn how an when to do a "proper" war.
Maybe I will just do that on the coming weekend. The weather forecast says the temperatures will be 24 C° to 26 C° which is the ideal weather to play some Civ games in your underpants. This will only be interrupted by a birthday party on Saturday evening (not in underpants) where I am forced to drink a sick amount of beer.
Civ games and beer... seems like it will be a horrible weekend!

CzarTim

After reading through the comments in this thread it seems you can get away now with less war against the AI, which suits my play style. Nevertheless I think I still have to force myself to learn how an when to do a "proper" war.
Maybe I will just do that on the coming weekend. The weather forecast says the temperatures will be 24 C° to 26 C° which is the ideal weather to play some Civ games in your underpants. This will only be interrupted by a birthday party on Saturday evening (not in underpants) where I am forced to drink a sick amount of beer.
Civ games and beer... seems like it will be a horrible weekend!

I've been playing civ since the second game and I've never once won from a military victory. I love that the series allows for different paths. I keep telling myself I need to learn how to do military stuff victories more efficiently, but man, it's so much more fun to high road the aggressors.

Waging war is my favorite part of the game. That risk taking makes it more compelling, I generally get bored if I try to play entirely peaceful.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Just read the op, now I want this expansion. I think civ 5 is my most played steam game. And g&k made the addiction worse. Never played any of the past civ 5, but I have gotten lost in the game. I will have to shell out some money for this. Its calling me.

Any reviews yet?

At 137 hours Civ V is my second most played steam game, only Skyrim has been played a bit more (154 hours). Third place for me is Euro Truck Sim 2. And yeah, I'm not kidding, LOL.

I've read a few reviews, they've all been very positive so far. Sounds like it's an even better expansion than G&K was, some of the reviews make it sound quite a bit better. Can't wait to play it myself soon.

Started one with the Shoshone.

Love their early game. The increased land grab on city placement usually reveals a ruin, or at least gives you a rough idea of where to send your pathfinder. Pathfinders are a stellar early unit - warrior strength with a scout's movement. I churned out a bunch and doubled down on survivalism promotions for them (+5 healing, +25% defense) for insanely hard-to-kill units that can become bowmen.

Seriously crazy defensive power for that Civ. Grab some rough terrain territory and you're golden. Unfortunately, in this playthrough I got boxed in on a small island, and I've got a war of attrition going with my neighbors, so all it's doing is keeping me from getting killed. I'll probably reroll just to get a more interesting map.

Haven't had a chance to do much else, thus far. I can say that very early game gold is indeed slightly harder to come by - if I wasn't killing barbarian encampments I would have been pretty broke.

Shaldome

I've been playing civ since the second game and I've never once won from a military victory. I love that the series allows for different paths. I keep telling myself I need to learn how to do military stuff victories more efficiently, but man, it's so much more fun to high road the aggressors.

I started with the first Civilization game, but put the most hours into Civ 2. I think I still have the tech chart lying around somewhere. Admittedly you did not need that much military to defend yourself, if you had a large tech lead. Which was way easier in Civ 2. Although the other Civs started to tech trade like crazy, if that happened.
But it lead to some memorable moments. Like losing your battleship against an enemy spearman, who was fortified on a hill.

Sblargh

Banned
They did something with the AI.

Wow, was Japan eager to fuck me up.

Destroyed caravans, pillaged resources, broke connection between my cities.

In the end, tho, I feel like trade routes boost gold way too much, I wonder if they will nerf that. Once the attack began, I could purchase walls to all my cities and if I needed troops, I could have purchased a lot of that, too.

On the other hand, I feel like I am lagging behind the other civs where I wasn't before, so maybe spending the damn gold is more important now.

Holy shit. As a brazilian, I was very disappointed with Brazil in BNW, but that song is amazing. Even more so when you see that it's based on this song.

What you didn't like? Personally, I think their (our?) UA is borderline overpowered when trying a culture victory and I love that when a gold age starts, intead of GOLDEN AGE, it writes CARNIVAL on top. I feel like invanding someone singing "A pipa do vovô não sobe mais!"

Esch

Banned
the game i'm in is legit stressful. I have the second pointiest sticks but Polynesia has double my raw numbers (think 20000 to 10000), The other 1000 point civs in Russia and Persia have gone from being defensive pact level friends to hating me (snapping up all their city state connects), getting all bitter and denouncing me. I'm 2/7 for civs dominated in culture, but I'm gonna need to snag the CN tower and internet if i want to win. My plan is to keep up my alliance with Polynesia and the smaller Shoshone, Songhai, and Carthage (but they're being picked off by the bigger civs). Persia especially is on a warpath coming after the city states. Worst thing is we're all neck and neck science wise!This is an island/archipelago game. Gotta turtle my way to victory. I've got 191 tourism though, feels good man.

this has been one of the most interesting games of Civ i've ever played diplomacy wise.

Ikuu

I'm trying Brazil just now and it's not going all that great, feels like I'm just trying to hang around not piss anyone off just now, AI definitely seems a lot stronger now.

I'm very interested in playing Civ V, should I start with the vanilla game or buy both and start with this?

Civ 5 gold includes everything but the most recent expansion, that'd probably be the thing to get. It's been on sale for pretty cheap recently, so you might have bad timing with the price.

Ikuu

I'm very interested in playing Civ V, should I start with the vanilla game or buy both and start with this?

I'd wait for the Steam Sale (tomorrow?) and get the Gold Edition, and then get Brave New World from Buy/Sale Thread, or TF2Outpost (trading TF2 keys for a copy).

DEO3

Barbarians are fucking my shit up. I've got a couple of trireme's on alert along my trade route but barbarian galleys keep swooping in out of no where and taking my cargo ships out. I thought Brave New World was mostly focused on the end game, but with how difficult it is to start earning gold now, the early game is a whole different animal than it was before.

Ogimachi

They did something with the AI.

Wow, was Japan eager to fuck me up.

Destroyed caravans, pillaged resources, broke connection between my cities.

In the end, tho, I feel like trade routes boost gold way too much, I wonder if they will nerf that. Once the attack began, I could purchase walls to all my cities and if I needed troops, I could have purchased a lot of that, too.

On the other hand, I feel like I am lagging behind the other civs where I wasn't before, so maybe spending the damn gold is more important now.

What you didn't like? Personally, I think their (our?) UA is borderline overpowered when trying a culture victory and I love that when a gold age starts, intead of GOLDEN AGE, it writes CARNIVAL on top. I feel like invanding someone singing "A pipa do vovô não sobe mais!"
It is very powerful indeed, but I don't like that the best thing they could come up with about Brazil is the Carnival.
Even though it's a very nice destination, Brazil is not a heavily visited country when compared to the rest of the world (we're almost tied with Argentina), so the UA doesn't make much sense IMO.
The Pracinha is ok, but I wouldn't put an unit focused on cultural victory so late in the game. I would've chosen Voluntários da Pátria replacing the Rifleman, at least. Brazilwood is very good, though.

I might make my own Brazil Civ mod later on, but the Mod of Ice and Fire is keeping me busy enough right now.

It is very powerful indeed, but I don't like that the best thing they could come up with about Brazil is the Carnival.
Even though it's a very nice destination, Brazil is not a heavily visited country when compared to the rest of the world (we're almost tied with Argentina), so the UA doesn't make much sense IMO.
The Pracinha is ok, but I wouldn't put an unit focused on cultural victory so late in the game. I would've chosen Voluntários da Pátria replacing the Rifleman, at least. Brazilwood is very good, though.

I might make my own Brazil Civ mod later on, but the Mod of Ice and Fire is keeping me busy enough right now.

The Brazilian unique unit should be randomly generated members of the Gracie Jiu Jitsu family.

Missed opportunity.

Trigger

The AI has to have been modified. They've been shitting out cities at a ridiculous rate and all seem so much more aggressive now. I don't remember Prince being this difficult. It's nice to feel like I'm in danger now though.

Myomoto

Steam's summer sale seems like it could start more or less any day now, so I'd wait for that and see what kind of deal they offer. Buy beware that original Civ 5 is basically MILES apart from where the game is now.

Barbarians are fucking my shit up. I've got a couple of trireme's on alert along my trade route but barbarian galleys keep swooping in out of no where and taking my cargo ships out. I thought Brave New World was mostly focused on the end game, but with how difficult it is to start earning gold now, the early game is a whole different animal than it was before.

Find the coastal barbarian encampments and clear them out. If you don't, they'll just keep pumping out ships, and those can be a pain in the ass to track down.

It's not particularly worth playing the vanilla game now that two expansions are out that massively improve the game.

I think it would be counter-intuitive to try as well, since things like social policies and the cultural victory are different in the base game than they are in Brave New World.

Have you ever played Civilization before?

Ikuu

So uh, is the July 11th release time based on GMT or some other time zone?

Just use a VPN, you only need to activate the game and then you can disable it. You can use something like: http://spotflux.com

Just sign into Steam with it running and start Civ, download the expansion, open Civ up and then you can quit the VPN and play normally. You might need to download the DLL that people have linked though.

Sblargh

Banned

I get it, but honestly, I think something like Carnival is more representative of what we are than world war 2 where people barely remember we were part of it.

I think it makes sense that in our GOLDEN AGE (think, Copacabana in the 20s) our tourism and our culture flourish, because it really do. You mentioned Tom Jobim; there are a few times in our history where we just unleash ourselves into the world. I guess making the tourism bonus tied to an event that happens a few times in human history ties to that.
We are pretty good at capturing people's imagination for a more bright and happy future than we think (see the movie Brazil, where our song symbolizes an escape from totalitarism).

Civ is more about the general feel and symbolism of a nation than its actual historic counterpart, so I think it makes sense. If I would mod something out, I would actually replace pracinhas by an alternative to the archeologist called "anthropologist" that would be like, I don't know, faster? A figure like Levi-Strauss (who was french, I know, but worked a lot in Brazil) capable of communicating directly with those tribes and people instead of digging sites.

Haly

I think Brazil is too narrow. It's really difficult to make full use of their UA because Great Artist/Writer/Musician points are much harder to get and require a very specific build path. If you trigger your golden age without one of the guilds set up, well, you just wasted your first golden age. It's not like Darius where JUST being in Golden Age is enough to catapault you ahead, you have to have prior setup.

I really want to try to make them work though.

CARNIVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Does anybody know if Representation (each city found will increase policy costs by 33% less) is retroactive on cities already founded, or is it just for each city found after that policy is enacted? When going Liberty, I never know if I should be racing for that policy or not.

Haly

Does anybody know if Representation (each city found will increase policy costs by 33% less) is retroactive on cities already founded, or is it just for each city found after that policy is enacted? When going Liberty, I never know if I should be racing for that policy or not.

It's retroactive iirc.

delirium

I fiddled around with the culture/works of art system and I hope they patch it automation for it. Right now, you have to manually set what works go in what slot to get a bonus and its fucking time consuming.

Esch

Banned
I fiddled around with the culture/works of art system and I hope they patch it automation for it. Right now, you have to manually set what works go in what slot to get a bonus and its fucking time consuming.
Cosign. I also cant figure out how to drag my art to swap it with other civs, smh.

Top Bottom