• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Sooooo, according to the XCOM Facebook page makes an appearance as a military unit in Civ 5? That is a nice touch. Although you need Nano Tech for it so the actual usefulness is "not that great".

It's an upgrade to Paratroopers. In, say, a domination win only I can see a more durable, huge drop range (40 units from a Skyranger) being extremely useful. I use paratroopers a lot when performing bomber rushes because they are so extremely mobile compared to any other unit that can capture a city, but once you start running into anything beyond Infantry units they really are just too weak.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I remember when we first turned it on and we saw the barbarians in F-22's. Couldn't stop laughing with the mental image of a guy in a loincloth flying a jet with Kenny Loggins playing in my head.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I dunno about you guys but I usually enabled raging barb-ons in most of my GK games anyway. Not because I wanted to make the game harder on me necessarily. It was more to get in the way of the AI due to their insane bonuses on immortal/deity too.

kidko

It most definitely does! A couple of friends and I decided to play a one-city challenge game on a Giant map, with no AI civs, just city states and raging barbs turned on. It was like playing in a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of roaming gangs.

Also I heard that achievements were bugged an not obtainable as of the pre-expansion patch, does anyone know the current situation with that?

This sounds amazing. Played as Venice, hmm...!

Mr. F

Banned
So has multiplayer been fixed? My friends and I have had so many games plagued by disconnects and crashes past a certain turn number.

Fitz

So has multiplayer been fixed? My friends and I have had so many games plagued by disconnects and crashes past a certain turn number.

I've been playing quite a lot of multiplayer over the past couple of weeks and it seems greatly improved over it's initial state. Since the last patch we've found that during some games the turns take an abnormally long time to end, but this doesn't occur regularly and I've not heard any other reports of this issue.

Petrie

Banned
Why won't it let me play? I go to DLC, enable the expansion, go back and its unchecked. I own the game via Steam so I don't understand what's happening.

samn

Petrie, you need to download the DLL linked somewhere a few pages back and insert it into your /assets/expansion2/ folder.

Esch

Banned
what are the exact terms for culture victories?

*goes to civfanatics*

edit: more tourism than culture for EVERY civ? seems tough.

what are the exact terms for culture victories?

*goes to civfanatics*

edit: more tourism than culture for EVERY civ? seems tough.

There are some late game multipliers in the tech tree (the internet! and globalization I believe) that will let you completely overwhelm most civs, and to deal with cultural competitors you can use concert tours and other artist bomb effects to rapidly close even an enormous culture gap.

slabrock

Banned
Still doesn't work for me. It wants to use the gift card credit on my account. :(
Did you send amazon an email? I just happened to add it to my cart and it took the promo off. Went to my email and I got an email about 30 seconds earlier saying they got the issue fixed. That was about 6:30 PM Eastern

Bought and downloading the expansion as we speak from steam..

Is it unplayable still without downloading the DLL file manually and putting it in the proper directory or has this issue been fixed?

samn

You probably have skip intros ticked in the interface settings.

A more elegant solution would have been for them to show the video once the first time you run the game, and then have it accessible from the Extras menu.

edwardslane, not sure how many are having problems, you might as well download it anyway because it's only 30MB.

Esch

Banned
Damn. I love pissing Catherine off. Peaceful little venice sitting alone stacking great art and she starts plotting against me. She got real shook when i signed DoF's with the rest of the world. I wish i had a time machine so i could find and trip the real one, I hate her so much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Damn. I love pissing Catherine off. Peaceful little venice sitting alone stacking great art and she starts plotting against me. She got real shook when i signed DoF's with the rest of the world. I wish i had a time machine so i could find and trip the real one, I hate her so much.

FarnsworthshootingElanorRooseveltoutthewindowoftheforwardtimemachine.gif

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
In regards to the Amazon credit: I don't think it works on new games, or at least it didnt work on Bioshock Infinite Season Pass right away. I believe it was a 30 day period before it worked. I thought I was going to be behind on the DLC content, but they still havent released any so it didn't end up being an issue.

Edit: Still not working for me. Credit applies to Borderlands 2 if I test that out in my cart, but not Brave New World.

Trigger

I started a new game because I was tired of Oda fucking my shit up. So of course in my new game the first civ I meet is Zulu.

RIP Shoshone Empire

I'm going to try building a bigger army from the get go this time.

venne

Tried to hold off until a sale, but this thread and me coming across a $22.50 auction on ebay got the best of me. . . .

Installing now.

Was working great last night...now today there's an update with a DX9 installation that has taken well past 20 minutes on an SSD..ugh

Firebrand

Damn I NEED this but can't shell $30. So sad.
$24 and $4 cash / $6 credit back on greenmangaming.com with voucher (GMG20-F202F-UI40F)
edit: Only seeing the cash/credit thing on the US site so quite possibly the voucher is not valid there, similar to what they did with XCOM.

jph139

Fuck Suleiman. Never had a game where he wasn't an asshole.

(Felt good to embargo his ass... and outlaw salt while I was at it.)

DEO3

In regards to the Amazon credit: I don't think it works on new games, or at least it didnt work on Bioshock Infinite Season Pass right away. I believe it was a 30 day period before it worked. I thought I was going to be behind on the DLC content, but they still havent released any so it didn't end up being an issue.

Edit: Still not working for me. Credit applies to Borderlands 2 if I test that out in my cart, but not Brave New World.

I called Amazon after getting the run around with both their online chat and their email, the woman on the phone told me that the credit only applies to games that had been published by 2K Games at the time you got the credit - and that it doesn't apply to anything published by them since. The logic being that anything published after you got the credit would've been considered a pre-order at the time that you got the credit, and since the credit isn't valid for pre-orders... well, you see their logic.

I even read to her the exact wording of the promotion since there's nothing there that would make you think it wouldn't work for Brace New World:

Your purchase entitles you to a $30 credit good towards 2K Digital Video Games on Amazon.com excluding pre-orders and the Bioshock Season Pass. To redeem your credit visit: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/b/ref=sv_vg_6?ie=UTF8&node=979455011 Purchase the 2K product of your choice, and the credit will be automatically applied.

And noted that the link in the promotion actually takes you to a page showing Brave New World! But she said they're taking a very firm stand on the issue and wouldn't budge.

So basically, fuck Amazon and their deceptive promotion.

I'm absolutely in love with the expansion so far. Started a Prince gamewith Morocco, which isn't too bad. Their UA makes gold a non-issue once you get the trade caravans rolling. I kept the empire at two cities to keep the culture costs down and more easily send my borders. I've spent most of the game floating between second and third in points , which was nice, because everyone not named Assyria had pretty much left me alone. I didn't get to control the world congress, which sucks, cause it looks like there's a lot of cool resolutions the AI didn't go for. Being host of the WC did nothing to save Ethiopia, as they and Brazil got squeezed out between Assyria, Denmark, and a hyper aggressive Austria. Before they were wiped out, Ethiopia passed trade sanctions on Assyria, effectively causing them to collapse under the size of their empire/army. Denmark and Austria have wasted the game pecking at each other, and I've been using archaeology and tourism to assert my influence and cause chaos amongst the other civ's ideologies. It's turn 440 now, and barring any catastrophic event, I've got this game won on points, though I'd rather it be a cultural victory. Next game will be the Shoshone.

As an aside, I just discovered if another civ opens their borders to you, you can replace their improvement if there's an antiquity site underneath it. I removed Assyria's Customs House with a Dig Site, and reaffirmed my belief that providing anyone with Open Borders is just a bad idea.

Just finished a Quick speed game on Prince, small earth map type and lost by score. 5 measley points!!! Seriously, only one civ even made it to the Atomic Era. What the heck happened? I was rolling with Arabia, focusing on gold and culture but not neglecting my science. My base five cities were fairly tall (15-25 pop) and had all of the science buildings up to Public Schools. Most of the game I was only 2-3 techs behind Assyria. Poland (who won) spent the whole game wonder rushing and pushing tourism. Indonesia was spamming Missionaries, Songhai only built three cities and kinda sat around, and Assyria chased the Danes around half the game until they fled the continent. Whole game felt pretty much like the usual except no beakers for anyone. I was going to use my 280 GPT for a diplo win but ran out of time way fast.

So establishing trade routes with a potentially hostile Civ can seemingly ward them off. China plunked a pretty hostile city right next to my capitol and was coveting lands I had. I established two trade routes by land and that seemed to ease the A.I. off.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just read the op, now I want this expansion. I think civ 5 is my most played steam game. And g&k made the addiction worse. Never played any of the past civ 5, but I have gotten lost in the game. I will have to shell out some money for this. Its calling me.

Any reviews yet?

Just read the op, now I want this expansion. I think civ 5 is my most played steam game. And g&k made the addiction worse. Never played any of the past civ 5, but I have gotten lost in the game. I will have to shell out some money for this. Its calling me.

Any reviews yet?

Lots? Pretty much all the major game sites that do game reviews have them up.

I think this thread sums it up though: buy now

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So establishing trade routes with a potentially hostile Civ can seemingly ward them off. China plunked a pretty hostile city right next to my capitol and was coveting lands I had. I established two trade routes by land and that seemed to ease the A.I. off.

Yeah, I'm getting this impression too. Assyria's been starting shit with all comers in my current game, even declaring war on people who weren't anywhere near any of his cities. But even though I share borders with him he's all buddy-buddy with me, and always wants to renew our declaration of friendship the minute it expires. Seems like the difference between me and everybody else is that I'm Venice and I've had trade routes running to his cities pretty much forever.

SRG01

It's an upgrade to Paratroopers. In, say, a domination win only I can see a more durable, huge drop range (40 units from a Skyranger) being extremely useful. I use paratroopers a lot when performing bomber rushes because they are so extremely mobile compared to any other unit that can capture a city, but once you start running into anything beyond Infantry units they really are just too weak.

Wait, Skyrangers are in this game too? XD

kirblar

I called Amazon after getting the run around with both their online chat and their email, the woman on the phone told me that the credit only applies to games that had been published by 2K Games at the time you got the credit - and that it doesn't apply to anything published by them since. The logic being that anything published after you got the credit would've been considered a pre-order at the time that you got the credit, and since the credit isn't valid for pre-orders... well, you see their logic.

I even read to her the exact wording of the promotion since there's nothing there that would make you think it wouldn't work for Brace New World:

And noted that the link in the promotion actually takes you to a page showing Brave New World! But she said they're taking a very firm stand on the issue and wouldn't budge.

So basically, fuck Amazon and their deceptive promotion.
Push it to a manager and push hard. YMMV, I just got it fixed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I'd like to see what that reviewer thinks the best strategy games are since that would put his review in better context and help me to understand what characteristics of the genre he places the most value. His "filling up buckets" analogy applies to pretty much every other strategy game out there too, not to mention several other genres.

It's not very informative to me for him to say that Civ5 is a bad strategy game and then not mention what he thinks an example of a good strategy game is, so that I can do a comparison. Judging by the comments, it seems he prefers Civ4 as a strategy game, and that's understandable, I guess, but it's still not that clear, and I'd like to have more examples.

Maledict

This guy also hated the basic game, and Gods and Kings. At that point I'm not sure why he's bothering - the second expansion to a game isn't going to change your opinion when you dislike it that much already.

Also slightly perplexed by the 'filling up buckets' comment. Drm, yes - that's what all Civ games are about. It's the core of the entire series?

I also don't actually think he has played much. His comments about being able to avoid the only growth limiter in the game (happyness) seem very unrealistic to me, especially with the nerfs to happyness in the expansion. The only way you are doing that is by playing on a very low difficulty setting. It's also odd because unlike all the other versions of civ, even when you can go wide you are perfectly okay with going small and tall instead.

Overall it's a very wierd review, and seems to ignore not just the basics of strategy games but also the basics of civ games.

Top Bottom