• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

That's the rest of world version-it should be OK?

It looks like there is also a new mechanic that scales out science costs with number of cities (including puppets)-calling it the "Hiawatha rule" due to the way that AI would predictably tech snowball hard through massive city spam. I was playing continents last night and the slower tech rate overall was very noticable. If you get active and start causing conflicts it will slow down even more.

traveler

Not Wario
Too early to say if it's for better or worse, but first impressions are that this is a much bigger change than Gods and Kings was. It's definitely going to take a bit to wrap my head around tourism and the trade routes. Love the World Congress, though.

jph139

Played my first game as Brazil last night and... lost. Took me a while to figure out how to really work things, but I was bros with Kamehameha (which is odd because he's usually trying to wipe me from the face of the Earth) and slowly building up my culture until England founds the World Congress and suddenly I meet fuckin' Persia half a world away with like double my score and culture out the wazoo. So he eventually votes himself king of the world while I just start making a dent in people.

Good stuff though, borders on TOO complex and micromanage-y but I think I'll get a handle on it. Probably going to need to drop back down to Warlord for a game or two before I know.

Ugh, it's gonna be tough not starting another one tonight... I was up until 6:00 AM today but I've got a flight tomorrow morning.

Soler

Banned
That's the rest of world version-it should be OK?

It looks like there is also a new mechanic that scales out science costs with number of cities (including puppets)-calling it the "Hiawatha rule" due to the way that AI would predictably tech snowball hard through massive city spam. I was playing continents last night and the slower tech rate overall was very noticable. If you get active and start causing conflicts it will slow down even more.
Nope apparently it won't unlock till the 12 th :(
I might fire it up on my desktop and do the dll fix though

Trigger

I haven't unlocked the World Congress yet, but the game is everything right now. My little Shoshone empire is coming along nicely.

But fuck the Japanese. Oda starts wars with me every 60 turns or so like clockwork. I'm hoping my defense pacts will ward off violence long enough for me to really invest in some science buildings.

World Congress is definitely awesome. It essentially provides the means to alter the mid to late game ruleset, forcing more player adaptation and causing problems for players looking for super-formulaic wins.

and yeah fuck Oda and the Japanese. Terrible Civ to play, they exist in the game only to troll players with their UA.

traveler

Not Wario
I just know it's going to be a total blast in muliplayer too, which is where I end up playing most of my games too. Our group gets a little too solitary if we're not at war, so fostering any other kind of interaction is welcome.

Vespene

At least no one hates me. Yet. I am way behind though. Elizabeth and Washinhton started on some prime land. That is the beauty of Civ though. Somehow, some way there is a way to win within the walls of my shitty little separated by oceans cities. I am also having to learn the mechanics of G&K and BNW. I guess this is as good a tutorial as any D:

The benefits of having your own island are huge.

1) You don't have contested borders so other Civs don't get expansion savvy around you.

2) The first 2 eras of the game are yours to build without much worry of war.

3) The AI is notoriously bad at naval warfare, making it easy to take out invading embarked fleets.

BeesEight

This expansion is sounding really promising. I liked Gods and Kings a bit but was really disappointed with how slow the game loaded whenever I tried using mods (and really simple ones too). I didn't get nearly as much mileage from it but I'm digging the new economy mechanics in this expansion.

After playing Venice in Europa Universalis, I'm kind of hungry to run a mercantile empire in Civ. Will wait on more impressions before diving in though.

gazele

Banned
Damn gold is hard to come across now.

I've been at 0 gold for about 10 turns with brazil lol, I expanded too quickly I think, and too much building maintenance

Building some caravans and currency to hopefully get me out of debt

Tradition was already much better than liberty, but now that it is also linked to buying great engineers with faith, it's a complete no brainer to go tradition. I was hoping they would buff liberty more than they did.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The benefits of having your own island are huge.

1) You don't have contested borders so other Civs don't get expansion savvy around you.

2) The first 2 eras of the game are yours to build without much worry of war.

3) The AI is notoriously bad at naval warfare, making it easy to take out invading embarked fleets.

THe problem was that my starting island sucked a lot. I had to deal with 2 barb camps and there was very little in the form of resources. So, I had a pretty slow start.

Also, I am having a lot of fun at work right now. Played until 6am and now am here. Will probably do the same tonight. Fuck.

Tradition was already much better than liberty, but now that it is also linked to buying great engineers with faith, it's a complete no brainer to go tradition. I was hoping they would buff liberty more than they did.

Tradition starts are dramatically slower now than in G&K, and tall empires, while buffed in BNW, still cannot match the manufactured goods and GNP output of a well managed wider empire.

The move away from using AIs as a banking resource for rush buys early in the game is a de facto buff to Liberty. I still really like Tradition when dealing with food-rich starts even if I have a lot of room to expand (you really want mileage out of finishing the tree), but even Tradition empires need to be thinking about expanding more and more (likely via conquest) as the game progresses.

dream

Don't you guys just do Restart Game when you get a bad start? That's what I do
Never.

Though I probably should have done that when my Venice start had my one lonely city stuck in a spot with only two dyes and one wool.

Does anyone know off-hand if you can earn achievements in Hotseat mode? That Raiders of the Lost Ark achievement is incredibly specific.

Trigger

Even more awesome when you have the aggressive leaders next you ya! YAAAY CIV lol

I've been in three wars with Japan and haven't even reached the industrial age yet. God help me when Egypt or the Dutch finally decides to start bullying me too.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What the hell is happening in my playthru?
Attila and Augustus are still at 2 cities.. at turn 110. On Immortal.
And i'm venice, and i have NOBODY TO TRADE WITH!

What the hell is happening in my playthru?
Attila and Augustus are still at 2 cities.. at turn 110. On Immortal.
And i'm venice, and i have NOBODY TO TRADE WITH!

Do they have any land? Rome not expanding like the plague is really weird unless they are on a small island mass.

LTWheels

VPN trick worked fine on my PC.

However can't get it to work on my mac. Using a VPN when I log into Steam on the mac, it has all the prices in $ instead of £, but no download starts. Under dlc, the new expansion is not listed there. Anyone being able to download using a VPN on a mac?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Do they have any land? Rome not expanding like the plague is really weird unless they are on a small island mass.

Craploads of empty land.

New playthru, i had SIX barbarian warriors on my capital at turn 22.
Something is off.

Craploads of empty land.

New playthru, i had SIX barbarian warriors on my capital at turn 22.
Something is off.

Barbs are a lot nastier now than they were before. I feel that you really have to develop significant active barb defenses in the same vein as Civ 4 nowadays to protect your improvements-especially since you can't front-load sales of luxuries the turn before they are pillaged anymore.

Caesar not expanding is really weird. Maybe he's got barb issues and his settlers stolen? Is he planning an all-in war after picking Honor?

Sibylus

Banned
It's good, excellent even. But this is the reason why I set the game down for long, long spells, it's just too damned compelling for my own good.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I actually never looked to see if this game has the raging barbarians option. Does it? They are pretty god damn annoying already now.

Shaldome

Sooooo, according to the XCOM Facebook page makes an appearance as a military unit in Civ 5? That is a nice touch. Although you need Nano Tech for it so the actual usefulness is "not that great".

Fitz

I actually never looked to see if this game has the raging barbarians option. Does it? They are pretty god damn annoying already now.

It most definitely does! A couple of friends and I decided to play a one-city challenge game on a Giant map, with no AI civs, just city states and raging barbs turned on. It was like playing in a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of roaming gangs.

Also I heard that achievements were bugged an not obtainable as of the pre-expansion patch, does anyone know the current situation with that?

Top Bottom