• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is that seriously the first land route upgrade? I'm just now into Renaissance and that's all the way in Modern, is Venice's huge trade route bonuses almost totally nullified on Pangaea and Continents maps then?

I have a caravansarie in Venice yes, but it still says range: 15 plots, which is only long enough for me to reach 1 city state and 2 full AI cities.

You can, and should, buy cities at locations where you can landroute decently from them.

Vespene

I wish you could see the leader screens in multiplayer. It's understandable why they're not there, but maybe an alternative would've been a nice touch. There's a bunch of UI improvements I hope mods can take care of later, specially with the multiplayer hud and culture windows.

InertiaXr

You can, and should, buy cities at locations where you can landroute decently from them.

So that makes my Colossus and East India Company in Venice rather worthless...EIC is not a full wonder though right? Every civ can build one? I should of probably waited until I bought a CS with 3-4+ full civ cities around it for land based trade routes then buy East India Company in there. Still my first game with Venice/new expansion so still learning how to use trade routes effectively.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
First win on Deity!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/783175/FDDShots/1374006379.png

If I'm not building a scout then definitely stealing a worker is much more riskier. It's possible I suppose. Not sure if playing Archipelago would limit sea trade routes either.

Sure, you could get a mining resource for gold, but you can't do that at the same time as growing your capital to 6-7 by turn 35 to have enough money to buy a worker, buy a work boat, or have anywhere near 8gpt to buy a luxury.

Buying a worker is not a possibility.

You can also go Mining->Optics, and have a build order that's Monument->Worker, i just did this.
If you need extra happiness, just get Monarchy before Landed Elite.
It works even on Deity, and Deity is brutal on happiness malus.

This round i did this for policies:
4 into tradition for Landed Elite + Monarchy
(Skipped wonder, not sure if that was a good idea, even if nearly all wonders i've gotten were from GEs)
Straight full patronage.
Midgame, when i was splitting CSs with england (before the Freedom madness with spies\trade routes\gifting units, which on deity is DEFINITELY NEEDED even with 500 gpt, which weren't really sustainable, anyway - I spent the last 50 turns at war with half the world, i throughly hate deity AI.

Buying CSs lategame was often just done to get their 10+ units, pretty amazing.

Militaristic CSs are nearly as vital as Cultural ones, since they provide, without wasting precious hammers or gold, enough of a force not to get wardec'd before the ending phase.
When the deity AI thinks you're going to win in <25 turns, it just goes all out and there's no diplomacy stopping it, it seems.

Enough culture seems also able to let you stand against a wholly Order world as the only Freedom beacon, with a -(5-15) happiness, which you can take since you own a grand total of 3-4 cities.

So that makes my Colossus and East India Company in Venice rather worthless...EIC is not a full wonder though right? Every civ can build one? I should of probably waited until I bought a CS with 3-4+ full civ cities around it for land based trade routes then buy East India Company in there. Still my first game with Venice/new expansion so still learning how to use trade routes effectively.

EIC is a National Wonder, and it's still +4 gold. Also, lategame Refrigeration Sea Trade Routes are like, 90 plots.

By the way, there's no non-cheesing victories past Emperor.
It's either:
- Be one of the best players in the world, literally. Seriously, the guys at civfanatics are impressive.
- Stack an incredible start
- Abuse naval warfare \ archer spam
- Abuse science multipliers + academies

And usually, that's it. That's fine though, not-stacking games are perfectly fine on Emperor\Immortal - Deity is meant for cheesing.

InertiaXr

Ok thanks guys, I bought a new CS right in the middle of the biggest civ in the game currently and started a few sea routes with their big cities and its a big boost...land routes are still pretty lame for me now since sea routes have that 2x bonus and I'm playing on continents so the biggest cities are on the coast anyways.

Jintor

What do you guys think is better, spending the earlier caravans to get trade gold/research or sending them to pump your expansionist cities?

Totakeke

What do you guys think is better, spending the earlier caravans to get trade gold/research or sending them to pump your expansionist cities?

Depends on how good your cities are, how many good tiles you still have to be worked/improved, your happiness limit, and what you can achieve with the money.

Trigger

Moooooonneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

Though in my last game I did haphazardly set up a city that couldn't feed itself. Then I used the caravans to supply it with food.

Jintor

Once you tech to workshops sending the production along is friggin' invaluable if you can spare the caravans. Everything's so expensive early game though that the extra cash doesn't help as much as you'd think...

The inability to redirect caravans at any time rankles at me, but I suppose it's a balance thing

How do I get longer land based trade routes? I have my sea routes up to 45 hexes away, but my land is still stuck at 15 which is almost basically useless...I went through the tech tree and didn't see any 'allows longer land based trade routes' like there is a few of for sea routes.

Roads extend trade movements, so in my first BNW game china and shoshone roads let my (arabian, so 50% more range) caravans reach the other side of the continent

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like money because I like that bling but I'll be honest, I think it's a matter of tradeoffs. Whether those tradeoffs are worth it I can't say, because they're too subtle to properly measure. My gut tells me to get that dosh though, so go forth my caravans, and fill my coffers with MOOLAH.

Sibylus

Banned
Oh yeah, dunno why I forgot roads. You should definitely invest in railroads as well. Yes, they're damned expensive, but being able to reposition your entire army from side to side rapidly can be invaluable (that and the bonus to production is lovely).

Jintor

Oh yeah, dunno why I forgot roads. You should definitely invest in railroads as well. Yes, they're damned expensive, but being able to reposition your entire army from side to side rapidly can be invaluable (that and the bonus to production is lovely).

i can't figure out if the railroad bonus transfers over the sea connection, anyone know?

nampad

Finished my first game and the replay only shows some logs. What happened to the graphics and map overview? Where do I find them?

InertiaXr

Can anybody explain a little bit about how to use Missionaries, and religion? I've founded a religion and picked the perks/bonuses that I wanted, and now my capital and couple puppet cities are becoming followers of that, but why do I care? Is it useful for more than trying to spread my religion all across the world, then making that religion the world religion in the World Congress?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A lot of religion bonuses scale with number of follower/cities. So this is one good reason to spread it. As the creator of a religion, you get all the bonuses from your Founder belief.

Religion is also good for certain victory conditions. Like Papal Primacy sets the city state rest point to 15. Combined with the Patronage policy that sets it to 20, you can keep every city at friendly for free just by spreading religion to all of them. Religion can also be a source of gold, culture or happiness, depending on the belief combination you choose.

And faith sometimes is a valuable resource as well, especially if you get enough faith to buy units and great persons in the late game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Social policies aren't relevant to culture victory anymore right?

Looks like I can science with Poland easily then.

Rad-

I'd say food with Gandhi and in small maps but gold in other situations. Food transfer gets happiness to negatives fast if you want to settle more as well.

EMT0

Banned
Guys, I figured out something that's stupidly overpowered when done right.

Take the Maya. Take either a happiness-boosting or culture-boosting pantheon belief(I'm partial to the +1 culture to shrines due to synergy), or if you're going full-on science, the +2 science per city connection(Messenger of the Gods) while taking the Piety opener followed by going full liberty followed by the rest of Piety.

REX the ever-loving shit out of the map you're on, the first builds in each city should be a Pyramid followed by a Monument, and a Library should also be a high priority. Prioritize going worker first then snagging the -33% culture hit per city founded SP in order to finish Piety faster.

When founding a religion, go with the +1 happiness per city founder belief, and go with Pagodas. Use your first GP from either the Long Count or the Liberty finisher on a GE and rush the Hagia Sophia to finish fleshing out your religion. If you're low on happiness, grab the +2 happiness per Temple bonus, otherwise take another faith-building to purchase. Make sure to grab the -20% reduction on faith purchasing on the Piety tree. Feel free to get any other religious wonders that you can snag.

If you've done everything above correctly...you're crapping out more faith than you know what to do with. I was building a Monastery and Pagoda in each city faster than I could expand and outputting about 150 faith per turn at around 1000 AD(I was settling my extra Prophets that came about due to way too much faith).

Now here comes the delicious part. Your Reformation finisher? Take Jesuit Education; it gives you the ability to buy Universities, Public Schools, and I believe Observatories using faith. Guess what? Each University costs 160 faith in the Medieval Era. You will have the faith to buy a University per turn in each of your cities, and should be able to get Oxford easily while you catch up on infrastructure and wonders. Your empire will be (probably) happy, massive, and pumping out beakers faster than the AI can keep up. From here you can take your choice of a third SP, and will have the ability to purchase your way to victory using faith. Going down Rationalism, Honor, or Tradition as your final SP will allow you to easily buy Great Scientists, Generals, or Engineers and give you a ton of flexibility in choosing your victory at your leisure. Science victories have amazing synergy with the Maya and going religion-rolling.

Or better yet. Bum rush Industrialism, buy three factories, and skip a third SP altogether. Take Order and take of the empire-wide boosters, the Factory science booster, etc. Great synergy, and it will reassuredly turn you into an unstoppable killing machine.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The new trade system is just the bee's knees.

It's so ridiculously OP

I am currently nabbing 400 gold a turn profit which is just nuts

Happiness is now fixed for mega civs with their culture boosts... Feels refreshing having twenty cities with my happiness at 80

jph139

i just bought this game from the steam sale. just jumping in. im assuming i should get the expansion?

I'd wait on it honestly. You can get a ton of mileage out of the base game + Gods & Kings, then once you get bored with that buy Brave New World for about half price and it'll be like a whole new game again.

Plus it's pretty complex in comparison; I had trouble learning all of the new systems after 200+ hours of the old stuff. Can't imagine how confusing it would be to get all that stuff at once!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i just bought this game from the steam sale. just jumping in. im assuming i should get the expansion?

The expansion fixes a lot of issues with the game... But content wise I think its difficult to justify.

I am having a lot more fun with the expansion myself because the game doesn't seem overly stupid in a lot of scenarios... You can now basically play the game a lot like you could in Civ 1, which means this is the new best of the series. (For me)

EMT0

Banned
To further elaborate, assuming you've gone full Liberty + Piety and chose the following options for your religion:

-Pantheon Belief: Messenger of the Gods(+2 science per city connected to the capital)

-Founder Belief: +1 Happiness per city following this religion

-First Belief: Pagodas(+2 faith, culture, happiness)

-Second Belief: +2 happiness per temple

-Reformation Belief: Jesuit Education(Can buy Universities, Public Schools with faith)

...and assuming each city has a Pyramid, Temple, Monument, city connection, and Pagoda, the outputs are actually pretty crazy. Keep in mind the Pyramids and Temples are also cheap.

-Pyramid(3 faith, 2 science)
-Temple(3 faith, 2 happy, 10% gold boost)
-Monument(2 culture)
-City Connection(2 science, X gold)
-Pagoda(2 culture, faith, happy)

Taking all of that into account as well as social policies, a city would be outputting:

-2 food
-2 hammers
-Y x 1.1 gold
-4 science
-8 faith
-3 culture
-6 happy

That's at an indeterminate city size, but the city can grow to size four before it starts to detract negatively from your happiness. Now, you're REXing. 8 of these bad boys, plus your capital(which should have the NC before you go too crazy REXing). That's 64 faith, again not counting what your capital would be outputting.

It's really quite crazy how much science you could farm off religion as the Maya tbqh. But then, their UB says it all. Faith and Science is their game.

Totakeke

Main problem with REX at higher difficulties is the happiness. Which is why until you really get going, your cities will be mostly stuck at 2 or 4 pop which doesn't contribute as much to science until your happiness and gold are stable.

I tried REX pre-BNW, it works as a challenge, but it wasn't that strong really and you need to do a lot of micromanagement for every city. The main advantage of REX back then was that as soon as you get the lux up, it's instant 240 gold for you most of the time. In BNW you need to maintain DoF first.

I'd figure changing the gold income to mostly trade routes would also weaken REX in BNW. However Jesuit Education sounds really good there. 160 faith for a university sounds great.

EMT0

Banned
Rapid EXpansion, Civ IV terminology, sorry. And I've honestly found it easier to REX in BNW than in G&K. Going Wide and Tall from the Renaissance onwards isn't difficult at all if you get Commerce's last SP, Exploration's +1 happy on naval infrastructure, or aim for the right city locations. Sure, you have to start wide and low at first but it's very easy to begin steamrolling(at least in this scenario). King player btw, almost always win as well. I should really be playing on Emperor. It's really the late game ideological options that just deliver happiness by the truckload though. Conquered everything and settled everywhere and let my cities grow freely; by the end of the game I was at -2 happiness, and I do literally mean EVERYWHERE. Tall and wide is alive and well, it's just generally trickier to get it up and running.

Totakeke

REX means you stick your cities as close together as you can so you build the maximum number of cities within the land you have. So that works with religion because religion is linear, you can only increase faith generation based on how many cities you have.

Every additional city you own or puppet increases the cost for techs by 5%. So if you had ten cities, your techs would 50% more expensive than normal.

Myomoto

Randomed into Shaka. How in the fuck did this guy ever make it into the game in this state? He's BEYOND insane! Field larger and more disposable armies than any other civ, combined with the Impi which has to be one of the most insane units in the game (+1 movement and it hits twice), and of course it's completely spammable as well!

I started in a big desert area with a river and some flood plains and decided I'd rush religion to get the 'desert folklore' pantheon. Combined with the rest of my religion I'm now raking in some 50+ faith per turn from 4 cities which with 'holy warriors' let's me spit out an Impi every 3-4 turns. So yeah, I'm gonna drown my continent in it's own blood.

Just figured out last night you can swap great works.

I had an idea that you could do it but I was looking for it in diplomacy. Makes theming bonuses easier with wonders that demand works from other civs and eras.

I absolutely love that you get to see/hear the great work when it's created, it's just shows that they put the effort in. Some of the lines of poetry from great writers are really nice too.

Filth

So I bought this game around 4-5 hours ago. I haven't stopped playing it since. I literally played till 4:30 am and I'm having a good time. I got attacked early by the cpu but managed to survive. I wiped out his army and he begged for peace. I think it was a bad choice agreeing. I think I should have wiped him out. I'm confused by the culture religion and whatnot + - 's all I know is make money and make sure people are happy. One question why in one city does it take 40 + moves to make a unit while my main city it's like 4-5 moves?

Maledict

Rexing is a bit weaker because they nerfed the two main non-local happyness sources.

Ceremonial Burial, the founder belief that used to give +1 happyness per city, now only gives +1 happyness per two cities. The Order starting policy which gave +1 happyness per city has gone completely, and whilst there are some neat toys in that tree (+2 happyness per monument in particular) they are all local happyness modifiers so only work on your population unhappyness rather than the city presence stuff.

It's certainly a lot harder to manager your happyness now than it was Rexing, and a lot more of it is local.

So I bought this game around 4-5 hours ago. I haven't stopped playing it since. I literally played till 4:30 am and I'm having a good time. I got attacked early by the cpu but managed to survive. I wiped out his army and he begged for peace. I think it was a bad choice agreeing. I think I should have wiped him out. I'm confused by the culture religion and whatnot + - 's all I know is make money and make sure people are happy. One question why in one city does it take 40 + moves to make a unit while my main city it's like 4-5 moves?

Main city has more resources and is a higher population most likely.

Jintor

Just figured out last night you can swap great works.

I had an idea that you could do it but I was looking for it in diplomacy. Makes theming bonuses easier with wonders that demand works from other civs and eras.

I absolutely love that you get to see/hear the great work when it's created, it's just shows that they put the effort in. Some of the lines of poetry from great writers are really nice too.

I wish the great people and, like the great music or writing and stuff had unique graphics, but it's understandable why they don't

Top Bottom