• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Ferrio

Banned
If it was pitboss someone would have to tie down their machine for a long time since there's no standalone server software.

Looks like it's really really barebones. Might be better to run a real game.

Ferrio

Banned
What is a pitboss server?

Allows you to connect in/out of the game at leisure to take your turn. Would help for epically long games. But they only released it with the BNW expansion and it's lackluster from what I'm reading. Also there's no standalone server for it... so someone would have to devote their machine to Civ5 for the entire game.

jph139

Allows you to connect in/out of the game at leisure to take your turn. Would help for epically long games. But they only released it with the BNW expansion and it's lackluster from what I'm reading. Also there's no standalone server for it... so someone would have to devote their machine to Civ5 for the entire game.

Evidently standalone servers will be coming later (probably with the Fall Patch).

Ogimachi

What is a pitboss server?

Fragamemnon, the man, the legend.

Fragamemnon the OP and resident spreadsheet game master.

I see, one of those Civfanatics hall of fame guys? Team people up, then.

Evidently standalone servers will be coming later (probably with the Fall Patch).
Fall patch? Is there any info about that? I hope they realize mods in MP would be a good thing and change Germany's trait by then.

Trigger

Huh, sounds cool. I'll definitely keep an eye out to see how that would turn out.

I see, one of those Civfanatics hall of fame guys? Team people up, then.

lol, Frag's team would either be targeted first or win.

I'm not gonna lie - I usually have to start over a few times when these changes hit. To get a feel for the mechanics. I'm hitting my stride now as Shaka Zulu. Just me and Italy left and I'm rich as fuck mwahahaha

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Has anyone modded the warhorns back in? I used to love that sound when someone declared war. My boy would NEVER even ATTEMPT diplomacy in Civ IV and I still have fond memories of him on skype:

"These assholes want to give me horses for my tech? They can go fuck themselfs."

Then immediately BA BA BA BURR WUUUR WAAAAHHH

Giard

Playing online, I noticed that my Pagodas do not give me my +2 happiness. Is this a known bug, or is there some kind of limit to the happiness I gain using them?

Ferrio

Banned
So let's say we started a regular multiplayer game on.... Sunday. For people who are interested what times would you be available?

If you are looking to play MP games, just use six player settings on a small map, play on quick, plan for two or three sessions. It's not *that* bad in terms of time spent.

Playing online, I noticed that my Pagodas do not give me my +2 happiness. Is this a known bug, or is there some kind of limit to the happiness I gain using them?

Local vs. global happiness . If you have a city of 2 population and already have buildings that give +2 happiness (or are running in a mulitplayer game where base happiness works differently than your normal single player difficultly), then your pagoda will not contribute additional happiness to the global pool.

mkenyon

Banned
I see MP as a good way to get some coop action in with a buddy. Talk about mechanics together and figure things out. It's good fun.

It's also the only way we ever won on Deity in vanilla.

Fragamemnon the OP and resident spreadsheet game master.

Fragamemnon, the man, the legend.

Ah, okay! :)

So let's say we started a regular multiplayer game on.... Sunday. For people who are interested what times would you be available?

Depends on the timezone.

12 players huge map 50 city states lets go

Unless they fixed multiplayer in BNW, the game will shit itself and crash for everyone if you have more than I think it was 8 players. Might even be less.

Ferrio

Banned
Ah, okay! :)

Depends on the timezone.

Unless they fixed multiplayer in BNW, the game will shit itself and crash for everyone if you have more than I think it was 8 players. Might even be less.

Well people would need to list their timezone too if interested. Just curious if we could wrangle enough for a period of time.

Sblargh

Banned
I ranted above Civ V, the "bucket" criticism which shouldn't be taken as criticism really, and Brave New World's ability to toss your mid and late game curveballs for the GIA if anyone is interested in reading:

http://thegia.com/2013/07/17/civilization-v-brave-new-worlds-buckets-of-adaptation/

The Civ IV hangers-on like Tom Chick do correctly realize that Civ V is about buckets, but miss the point that Civ has always been about buckets-of beakers, food, gold, etc. and the interesting point is how you fill those buckets. I'm not going to be beat around the bush-playing Civ IV after the lib race is a pretty boring thing. I've finished way more games of Civ V than IV despite having played as many hours because for all of its faults the endgame has always been better and has been improved so much more with BNW.

Hey great article. I was thinking about it while playing today. I feel that with BNW I am actually thinking of the endgame. It used to be "open strong, expand and then just hold", but now the phases actually seem to have their own meaning. You open trying to expand (both in number of cities and citzens), then the middle is kind of a transition era where it is only in the end where you 100% gear up for a win.

It used to be "try to win" all the time. I don't know if I am making myself clear. :p

Vespene

I think an AI per player with twice as many city states as there are players would be the nice balance. Map selection would be based on total number of AI and human players.

In regards to map speed... I think Epic should be fine.

I just picked up this game last week. My only experience with Civilization was screwing up my Uncle's save in Civ 2 when I was 14, so I'm preeetty new at this. I got two big questions:

1. After playing chieftain/small map to get my feet wet, I'm now playing a Prince level game with a huge map, with standard pacing. Prince is nothing like chieftain, and the huge map is HUGE. Unlike my first run, I'm stuck most of my time defending my Indian town(s) from an endless barrage of barbarians. Since the map is larger, I'm in this open field, where I am having to spend a lot of my gold and production on making military units to protect the town (this was SO much easier my first run since my towns was placed on a perfect peninsula). I'm wedged between the Assyrian Empire, Egypt, Spain and Indonesia; all of them hating the other civ for some reason or another. Wonders are being swept off my feet turn after turn. I spend a good chunk of the millennium broke and in debt. There's no city-state to help me out financially. It's the mid 19th century and I JUST got into the renaissance age. Should I reroll? I feel like some shit is about to go down hard with the four established civs and poor India is going to just be collateral damage.

Playing Chieftain did not prepare me at all...

2. How do you juggle life with this game? Lol, holy shit I can't. stop. playing!

Vespene

I just picked up this game last week. My only experience with Civilization was screwing up my Uncle's save in Civ 2 when I was 14, so I'm preeetty new at this. I got two big questions:

1. After playing chieftain/small map to get my feet wet, I'm now playing a Prince level game with a huge map, with standard pacing. Prince is nothing like chieftain, and the huge map is HUGE. Unlike my first run, I'm stuck most of my time defending my Indian town(s) from an endless barrage of barbarians. Since the map is larger, I'm in this open field, where I am having to spend a lot of my gold and production on making military units to protect the town (this was SO much easier my first run since my towns was placed on a perfect peninsula). I'm wedged between the Assyrian Empire, Egypt, Spain and Indonesia; all of them hating the other civ for some reason or another. Wonders are being swept off my feet turn after turn. I spend a good chunk of the millennium broke and in debt. There's no city-state to help me out financially. It's the mid 19th century and I JUST got into the renaissance age. Should I reroll? I feel like some shit is about to go down hard with the four established civs and poor India is going to just be collateral damage.

2. How do you juggle life with this game? Lol, holy shit I can't. stop. playing!

Having a huge map makes the game challenging down the line for sometimes there are civs at the other side of the map (depending on what type of terrain you choose) which you will won't see until the renaissance era. More often than not one of those far away civs will take over a whole continent since they don't have you to keep them in check. By the time you guys meet there's a chance he'll be really strong militarily and way ahead on tech.

Trigger

1) Don't worry things are always a little overwhelming at first. Use your first couple of games just to see how everything works. I'd suggest you play the game until you lose or win. If you're absolutely not enjoying this session then there's no shame in a reroll, but even failure can teach a lesson.

2) What is this "a life" thing? Is it a mod?

Zeroth

I would recommend trying to finish the match. Even if you don't win, you will at least get some idea of how the late game is on the normal difficulty and prepare yourself for it on later runs.

And welcome to the Civ motto. "Just one more turn"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Hey guys this is a stupid question, but any websites that tell me how to take screens and then host them. Seems basic but something I've never done despite browsing the Internet for 15+ years. I love Civ threads because of the screen caps and the stories they tell.

I'd like to tell my story on how as Catherine of Russia I tried warning Nebunazzar of Babylonia to not settle his cities near righteous, holy Russian land. He didn't listen. The blood of his people and the fall of Babylon and his civilization is on his hands, he was given proper warning.

I started dominating everyone on my part of the Standard Pangaea and I'm now at the World Congress stage where I'm trying to make Eastern Orthodoxy the official religion of the world. I have 4 votes, with the second highest being the Brits and I've already converted them to the light.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
F12 = screenshot in steam. Find the screenshots in the \steam\userdata\<userid>\760\remote\<appID>\screenshots\ folder. Upload to imgur, via drag and drop.

They'll also show in your steam profile.

Using the printscreen key will spit out a high res .tga to the My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ScreenShots directory, btw. Though w/ imgur the Steam screenshot method is probably easier since you'll already have jpegs.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Cool, thanks guys.

Also how do I start a religion quicker? I tried the Piety tree to no avail and I remember Civ 4 having specific technologies leading to founding religion which helped cultural status. It seems to happen randomly, unlike Civ 4, and I still usually focus on military dominance but I'd like to have a religious element added.

Also how do I start a religion quicker? I tried the Piety tree to no avail and I remember Civ 4 having specific technologies leading to founding religion which helped cultural status. It seems to happen randomly, unlike Civ 4, and I still usually focus on military dominance but I'd like to have a religious element added.

Shrine early in the capital is usually enough to get you going. From there, the best options generally are:

*) Faith Natural Wonder
*) Religious City State nearby-clean out a barb camp or them and it actually adds up to a lot of faith when you tack on some gold or another mission.
*) Chose a pantheon that has faith per tile worked, such as the +2 faith from quarries or +1 for all desert tiles. Note that you'll need to be able to work these tiles for this to work!
*) Build Stonehenge. This is pretty reliable way to get a religion if the other options don't work.

I only like the Faith tree when you have something like Poland for early accelerated policy starts or you are Byzantium where your UA basically IS your religion, and even then it's more of a 2nd tree than a primary tree.

Question for any pro players, what's a good general purpose build order for your first early game worker? I imagine it depends somewhat on the city type, but I am trying to get out of the habit of just sticking all my workers on auto and wonder if I should focus on getting those strategy resources worked or putting down farms everywhere or whatever.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Question for any pro players, what's a good general purpose build order for your first early game worker? I imagine it depends somewhat on the city type, but I am trying to get out of the habit of just sticking all my workers on auto and wonder if I should focus on getting those strategy resources worked or putting down farms everywhere or whatever.

I usually make a farm first, preferably on a wheat tile. Growth is really important in the early game.

To boost your production a tad, you can do the production lock trick, where, on the turn before you gain a new citizen, you set the city to production focus, and then lock the food tiles until it says "one turn until new citizen is born" again.

On the next turn, you'll get the next citizen, and then he'll immediately work a production tile first, giving you those extra hammers.

This works because the game processes food first, and production after that.

Now that it's harder to lump sum sell luxuries, improving those isn't as high a priority for me anymore, unless it gives good food or gives me other stuff like faith (e.g. Stone Circles pantheon belief for quarries that gives +2 faith per quarry).

Cool, thanks guys.

Befriend/ally religious city states (they'll also give you faith when you find 'em), get lucky and grab an ancient ruin with a faith bonus, get faith+ buildings, etc.

Is there any reward/advantage for reaching Dominant culture with a civ?

If they aren't sharing your ideology then you are introducing heaps of unhappiness to them by pressuring them with tourism.

Man Morocco on Diety blows. You barely get anything out of your UA as you have to trade with the closest other Civ for the science boost early on, and by the time you get meaningful culture from the UA it's like turn a billion. The UU is trash and Kasbah's don't make blank desert tiles workable nor do they stack with other tile improvements so you're still left with huge tracts of unusable land. You can't get Petra on Deity ,period, not really consistently even with a 1 city tradition start.

Most of the BNW Civs are great-Zulus, Shoshone, Venice, Assyria, even Poland and Indonesia are decent. Morocco just sucks unless you have a billion hill desert tiles right next to ample food to grow and work those tiles, i.e. never. I thought the desert starting bias wouldn't be so bad but it in actuality is worse than Brazil's jungle tiles, which at least can usually be cleaned up and has tons of food.

Esch

Banned
I just dont feel like investing culture hammers or gold into religion. Takes too long to pay off unless youre playing as the right civ.

Top Bottom