• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

The AI is devious. I pulled someone from a defensive tower to switch him out with a new cannon and the AI decides thats the turn to declare war and takes the position.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kill another spy trying to steal your tech, successfully steal tech, or perform a successful coup in a city state.
They don't level up from performing a coup. Only catching a spy, or stealing tech.
I just feel like coups take too long. Theyre totally useless.

Rigging elections is only 14 turns, not that long. You can also perform a coup at any time, it just might fail if your influence differential is too extreme.

I like to buy influence until my coup chance is 85% or higher, then coup, since it would get more influence if I were to buy the city state outright. If it works, of course. If not, then...welp.

zugzug

what the largest multiplayer game you can set up. 16 players on a super large world? Can you imagine setting something like that up and playing like every 2-3 hours a night with people. GAF do it!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I need tips on how to achieve victory by culture. I tried my hand at it last game and I lost due to a time victory.

InertiaXr

It's so disappointing to miss out in Petra in a nice desert city, it almost makes me feel like restarting. :/ Or go back a few turns and throw Morocco off building it, but I have no idea how to even do that...go to war with them would he MAYBE quit building Petra in his capital and switch to units?

I need tips on how to achieve victory by culture. I tried my hand at it last game and I lost due to a time victory.

Turn off time victory, its lame.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's so disappointing to miss out in Petra in a nice desert city, it almost makes me feel like restarting. :/ Or go back a few turns and throw Morocco off building it, but I have no idea how to even do that...go to war with them would he MAYBE quit building Petra in his capital and switch to units?

You could try to go back about 10 or so turns and bribe morocco to go to war with as many people as possible, or bribe others to go to war with him.

It's easy if he's being aggressive. You can bribe him to go to war with everyone, use all your resources and gold per turn. Then wait a turn. Then after everyone is pissed at him, denounce him, and declare war on him. Bam, all your gold per turn and resources deals cancelled.

If you can't go toe to toe in units, try using horsemen and pillage his tiles.

Jintor

If I propose and ask what it would take for people to go to war, and they say 'I'LL NEVER GO TO WAR", does that mean they'll actually never go to war or should I put some cash money on the table first?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I propose and ask what it would take for people to go to war, and they say 'I'LL NEVER GO TO WAR", does that mean they'll actually never go to war or should I put some cash money on the table first?

I dunno, I never actually approach it via the "discuss" option.

I always just go straight to the trade window, click on "declare war on (whoever)", then click on "what will make this deal work?" button.

InertiaXr

You could try to go back about 10 or so turns and bribe morocco to go to war with as many people as possible, or bribe others to go to war with him.

It's easy if he's being aggressive. You can bribe him to go to war with everyone, use all your resources and gold per turn. Then wait a turn. Then after everyone is pissed at him, denounce him, and declare war on him. Bam, all your gold per turn and resources deals cancelled.

If you can't go toe to toe in units, try using horsemen and pillage his tiles.

Thanks, I reloaded about 30 turns back and got Brazil to declare war alongside myself, hopefully it throws him off enough. On that note, is there any way to see if and how far along into building a wonder a opponent city is, without spies?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks, I reloaded about 30 turns back and got Brazil to declare war alongside myself, hopefully it throws him off enough. On that note, is there any way to see if and how far along into building a wonder a opponent city is, without spies?

You can take a look at his city to see signs of wonder construction. For example, the great wall of china is really easy to see when someone is making it since there's a giant ring around their borders. I'm not sure what a Petra under construction is supposed to look like. I think someone may have documented it before, I'm not sure.

SRG01

Beeline Archeology and you should be fine. You'll need Currency/Guilds and Education to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Another thing I like about the Volunteer Army rush, is that by the time the second world congress convenes, I'm already able to propose world ideology: Freedom, and since no one else has adopted an ideology yet, no one gets pissed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Oh ok here, I found it:

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=browseimages&c=39&page=4

petra_-_complete.jpg

Jintor

I dunno, I never actually approach it via the "discuss" option.

I always just go straight to the trade window, click on "declare war on (whoever)", then click on "what will make this deal work?" button.

That's what I'm pressing but I just get a flat 'NOPE" most of the time and I'm unsure if I'm picking bad targets/aggressors or they're just not in the mood

InertiaXr

Here is a semi complete list. Petra's not on it, though.

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_wonders.html

Thank you, I can definitely see it next to his capital. The thing it doesn't really help with though is that I can only see he was at some point building it, there doesn't seem to be any sort of gradual buildup of the graphics to let me know he's currently in progress of building it. That would probably be a little OP though, so oh well. Just have to race him.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's what I'm pressing but I just get a flat 'NOPE" most of the time and I'm unsure if I'm picking bad targets/aggressors or they're just not in the mood

In my games I usually start out peacefully. I know that eventually Imma kick someone's shit in, so I find a target to concentrate the world's hate on. It reminds me of this scene from The Waterboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFJrhu7vgU

I "find my bitch" so to speak.

There's usually one asshole civ who wouldn't mind going to war with everyone. Usually it's one of the more aggressive personality civs like Atilla or Nobunaga. A civ is also more likely to go to war if they have the highest militart score in the game.

So, if I find someone like this who will go to war for cheap, I bribe him to DOW as many other leaders as possible. This gets everyone else pissed at him, so that eventually, when I go to war with "the bitch", the world doesn't mind that I took most of his cities. Unless I eliminate him from the game, then that gets me a big warmonger penalty.

Again, the AI is devious. Defensive Pacts in place Alexander declares on me again this time with the Maya joining the fray.

After 10-15 round the Maya settle for peace with Alexander but I keep going. Once I'm pushing on one of Alexander's cities right next to the Maya I ask for help. Nope. 10 turns later – still nope.

Finally at a stalemate, I accept Alexander's 3rd peace offering. Within a few turns The Maya declare on Alexander and took the city I was trying to get their help on. FUUUUUUUU

Sibylus

Banned
Doing far better on my second Emperor attempt, finally overtook AI in the Science department by about the Industrial Era. Yeah, yeah, it's islands, but that last game got me hella salty. I've shared a border on this island since the beginning with a larger and more powerful Arabian empire without succumbing to a backstab attempt, and I still maintain my defenses. Probably going to continue aiming for a Science victory, my 4 city Tradition empire is humming along quite nicely.

Myomoto

It seems reasonably easy to enter a state of perpetual peace if you just build up a sizeable army and enter defensive pacts will all the civs that are below you in score.

Myomoto

So I'm now tempted to play Shoshone. How do they fare? Multiple cities or just a few?

Seems like the most popular tactic is to abuse their settlers as much as possible early game to more or less gate in the other civs and deny them much of any land of their own.

pilonv1

Applied a decent overclock to my 3570k today and now Civ 5 doesn't load. It's a stable overclock (passes Prime95 & Linx), but Civ will only load when I remove it. Very frustrating.

DEO3

Liberty opening walkthrough part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/rloutlaw/c/2665536 (audio issues fixed shortly into the vid , sorry for the faint/low noise)

Liberty opening walkthrough part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/rloutlaw/c/2665565

Youtubes will be posted later. Note this is a tutorial of supposed peaceful expansion, not a LP, so that's why I didn't chow down on France more aggressively. As anyone in this thread knows my favorite fourth city is the other guy's capital.

These were great, thanks man - I've been really craving a solid liberty strategy.

So I'm now tempted to play Shoshone. How do they fare? Multiple cities or just a few?

They are very good. Just keep in mind that the pathfinder upgrade to composite bow from ruin is only inferior to faith or culture from ruins (and faith only is available after turn 20 in the game on standard speed).

Go Liberty. Steal workers. Take a lot of territory-build the pyramids you're going to need the extra workers and improvement speed boosts. Pick a fight, even if it is just luring the other guy's units onto your own territory for a while so you get the bonus.

Fun Civ to play. One of the most groanworthy neighbors though.

Just started a new domination game with Mongolia and my closest neighbor is Babylon. The game has literally becomes schoolyard jocks vs nerds but on a lightly larger scale.

Just started a new domination game with Mongolia and my closest neighbor is Babylon. The game has literally becomes schoolyard jocks vs nerds but on a lightly larger scale.

Civ makes being a bully so much fun.

edit: So I plan on streaming a full deity game from start to finish this weekend. Should I keep playing that hilarious Inca game I started a few days ago or roll a new one?

kidko

Civ makes being a bully so much fun.

edit: So I plan on streaming a full deity game from start to finish this weekend. Should I keep playing that hilarious Inca game I started a few days ago or roll a new one?

Just started watching the Inca one. Hell of a start with that worker steal turning into a bit of a nailbiting attack on your capital. Who knew he'd have so many units to throw at you. I would love to see how it plays out because it does seem like kind of a weak start.

Yikes, I'm not so good at early settler spamming. How does one do it?

I made a youtube about this! go watch it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9xmHAQabU

If you don't have time to sit and digest it, the short of it is this-spend time early developing your capital , go liberty and go straight for the free and reduced cost settler policy. Make an additional two or three cities, then consolidate your empire around them.You can either go on the offensive for a wider empire approach or wonder whore and develop your cities for a more vertical approach. Either way you get a lot of land, which is the point when you build a lot of settlers.

dream

If you ever get bored and have time, Fragamemnon, could you make a "how to be a warmonger for dummies" video? After, god, almost a thousand hours of playing BTS as a peace loving, wonder building pussy (I did a lot of OCCs with India :(), I find myself playing Civ 5 in pretty much the same way. I see you talking about taking capitals on turn 70 and it sounds awesome, but I just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

Yep, I can do that. I am going to cut a couple of civ-specific videos soon and one on effective city specialization , I can point out how to warmonger. I often play games where I will always be at war, just to both level my units up and to eventually get a huge peace deal-I couldn't actually absorb anything I captured or even take a city! But that guy's 60 gpt for 30 turns is pretty nice.

xenist

Washington to me: "Your army is laughable."
Me to Washington: "I also have a few thousand gold to spare while you don't have a pot to piss in. I think I'll have this crab city and this pearl city. Thank you. Buy battleship, buy battleship, buy carrier, buy tanks."

And I'm one city state away from stealing the lead in delegates from the Shoshone.

I always win by culture. I don't get it. I don't see where I can control that so I can get a game past modern / atomic era.

What difficltly are you playing on? Winning via culture victory is highly dependent on how well the AI generated their own culture. If they don't do so then they are going to be really hard pressed to beat a player who gets their guilds up quickly and themes out wonders early. Immortal CV can be annoying, Deity CV is often a total nightmare with a terrible win time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
im doing it in a poland game. you just have to be comfortable with somewhat shitty cities lol, just build settlers fast.
I made a youtube about this! go watch it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9xmHAQabU

If you don't have time to sit and digest it, the short of it is this-spend time early developing your capital , go liberty and go straight for the free and reduced cost settler policy. Make an additional two or three cities, then consolidate your empire around them.You can either go on the offensive for a wider empire approach or wonder whore and develop your cities for a more vertical approach. Either way you get a lot of land, which is the point when you build a lot of settlers.

So essentially I just have to swallow it huh? :/

i always, always lean towards building wonders. i don't know why.

Same here. I always want to get the early wonders as much as possible.

So essentially I just have to swallow it huh? :/

Swallow all the land? Yes. That's the whole point of building out a lot of settlers early. You don't build out lots of settlers early to grab the Temple of Artemis and the Great Library. You do so to free up more turns in your capital for other builds (i.e. military) and to secure a wide border quickly. These cities should not be shitty. They should be on good land. You don't go spamming cities just to get bad land for a lot of cities. If you have questionable land, then you build fewer cities and try to work as much good out of it as you can.

Same here. I always want to get the early wonders as much as possible.

I think we all do. The key is knowing when to actually do it vs. when other investments pay off more down the road (and 90% of the time it is the latter).

Hahahah, I meant swallow the slow growth/inactivity :p

Your cities should only grow marginally slower. If you have a lot of luxuries and workable gold tiles you can allocate your caravans for food instead for faster growth-it's very effective early on.

Real talk: all cities grow poorly until Civil Service and/or Optics come in unless you caravan food to the cities. That's why I am always banging the drum about settling near rivers,lakes, and fish .

What difficltly are you playing on? Winning via culture victory is highly dependent on how well the AI generated their own culture. If they don't do so then they are going to be really hard pressed to beat a player who gets their guilds up quickly and themes out wonders early. Immortal CV can be annoying, Deity CV is often a total nightmare with a terrible win time.

Newb difficulty. I like to play very casually

Boss Doggie

Your cities should only grow marginally slower. If you have a lot of luxuries and workable gold tiles you can allocate your caravans for food instead for faster growth-it's very effective early on.

Real talk: all cities grow poorly until Civil Service and/or Optics come in unless you caravan food to the cities. That's why I am always banging the drum about settling near rivers,lakes, and fish .

Ah, I always prefer building in coasts but only if they're full of resources.

What would you consider best early wonders?

Also I tend to play on Quick. What changes on Normal other than extending research/construction time?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Also I tend to play on Quick. What changes on Normal other than extending research/construction time?

The game actually gets easier on slower speeds. Many times on quick, you march an army to take over someone, and by the time you get there, you're at the next tier of tech already.

The slower the speed, the more unit movements you can get in per era. That means you can do a lot more things with your units (mostly, but not limited to, military actions), and you can really use your unique units to their advantage since they become obsolete much more slowly.

edit: in regard to your wonder question: If you're playing on Immortal, and especially Deity, you have to get used to the concept that you're not going to get many early wonders, if any. It actually ends up improving your gameplay somewhat, in the end. For me personally, the only "early" wonders I every attempt to get are Petra, if I have a godly desert start. On Immortal, it's usually doable if you go straight to it. On Deity, it's a little bit of a crapshoot. I may try for hanging gardens, if I want to go tall, and want that early garden for great person generation. I pretty much ignore everything else, since trying to build those keeps me from building more important regular buildings in my cities.

Besides, why waste resources on wonders when the AI can build them for me? Aside from the wonders that give you social policies or great people, some of the best way to "build" wonders is by taking.

Boss Doggie

The game actually gets easier on slower speeds. Many times on quick, you march an army to take over someone, and by the time you get there, you're at the next tier of tech already.

The slower the speed, the more unit movements you can get in per era. That means you can do a lot more things with your units (mostly, but not limited to, military actions), and you can really use your unique units to their advantage since they become obsolete much more slowly.

Ah wait, so construction/training speed isn't slowed down, only research?

Top Bottom