• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Agent

What in the holy hell is the downside to Sparky?

Honestly, I don't think it will be a big deal and won't be any different than letting a PEKKA/Golem/Prince run around the map without a defense. In the video it looks like it has fairly low HP that can be easily taken out by the Skeleton Guards or any other cheap card that has mobs with it. You definitely will have to deal with it, but that is no different than if any of the above cards are played. I think it is just the initial shock of watching the video and what it can do, but they were playing mostly the new cards and not the others like Skeleton Army, Goblins, etc. which I imagine may counter it decently. If you let your opponent build up a push, then yeah, that will be a hassle to deal with. But that is no different than any card out there currently.

I definitely see the salt mines kicking into overdrive with this card though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
We'll have to see about how it all plays out but if you need the new legendaries to stay competitive even at the lower arenas (saw lots of ice wiz and princess even at arena 6 for instance) I am out.

You've NEVER needed ice wizard or princess to be competitive. They are good but easily countered, much like most CR cards.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RIP Elixer builds also. Miner will wreck it and the next balance change tomorrow that decreases HP will pretty much make them a much bigger risk. Which I think could be a really cool change up.

commish

RIP Elixer builds also. Miner will wreck it and the next balance change tomorrow that decreases HP will pretty much make them a much bigger risk. Which I think could be a really cool change up.

80% of my wins are against ppl who put down a pump at the start of the match. I'll probably lose 300 cups if they went away, haha.

Durden77

Thank god on the gold for each win. Hopefully that doesn't mean they'll rebalance the gold in general though to where you get less out of chests and stuff. They probably will.

Any odea when this update comes out?

I think I saw that Sparky has around 1200 health. It is all about diverting that shot with a cheap unit.

You've NEVER needed ice wizard or princess to be competitive. They are good but easily countered, much like most CR cards.
I did not say that. All I said is that you encounter legendaries as early as Arena 6. If you need the new ones to stay competitive there it would be too much p2w for my liking. And imo Princess is not easily countered, at least not without sacrificing elixir or using arrows.

Palehorse

I just sent a join request for Neogaf elite. 8R8YJQ0

I haven't been commenting but lurking regularly. I've been moving up steadily in the last week, almost to Arena 3.

commish

It takes like 5 seconds to charge, drop some Gobs or skeletons to waste it's charge. Sparky is gonna be DOA.

The Miner and Lava Hound look legit.

I think the miner is the #1 new card. Will be game changing for all the ppl that just turtle turtle turtle

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Fuck Sparky. So glad I'll never get to arena 6.

mercviper

How do you easily counter ice wizard? Or at least cost-effectively do so? Anytime I see one I know I'm spending 4+ elixir to effectively deal with it. Princess is a bitch to deal with too since her counters cost as much (arrows) or more and typically I want to not be using arrows on her alone.

commish

How do you easily counter ice wizard? Or at least cost-effectively do so? Anytime I see one I know I'm spending 4+ elixir to effectively deal with it. Princess is a bitch to deal with too since her counters cost as much (arrows) or more and typically I want to not be using arrows on her alone.

I usually just drop goblins on his head if he gets that far. They don't do a lot of damage.

mercviper

I usually just drop goblins on his head if he gets that far. They don't do a lot of damage.

Well I guess my problem is more when he's comboed with another unit or on defense. For 3 elixir he stops a lot of things cold and when behind another unit he locks down the split really well. Like he enables whatever is in front of him to win against its counter even if he dies to the goblins since he has 800 hp at level 1 so he still gets his crowd control off. It's just really frustrating to deal with and more often than not I fall behind in elixir whenever I see him played

hollomat

Banned
Well I guess my problem is more when he's comboed with another unit or on defense. For 3 elixir he stops a lot of things cold and when behind another unit he locks down the split really well. Like he enables whatever is in front of him to win against its counter even if he dies to the goblins since he has 800 hp at level 1 so he still gets his crowd control off. It's just really frustrating to deal with and more often than not I fall behind in elixir whenever I see him played

Agreed. I can counter him, but I'm normally spending at least 3 elixir. Goblins aren't a great counter if he's comboed with other things, since his splash damage will wipe them out before they get to him.

Him and princess are way too efficient for their cost. The legendary cards are my single biggest issue with the game so far. Paying players have a far higher chance of getting them.

Maximus P

Interesting changes. Hopefully we don't get OP cards.

I can't wait for the bomb tower nerf. It's the only card that I'm struggling to deal with now. I was having problems with ice, but 99% of the people I come across use the exact same tactic with it so I can punish their predictability.

Up to 2500 now. My personal best.

DrkSage

I've still got my little lvl 8 bomb guy

Ive got a Lvl 8 bomber and a Valkyrie lvl5 to 6, but it's still gonna be a pain in ass trying tu get a decent push. My biggest fear is the hog rider invasion the game is going to have as of tomorrow

ElyrionX

I started playing Freeze in my Hog deck yesterday. I think I've been missing out lol.

Not sure what I'm going to do with Bomb Tower once the patch is out though. Will probably replace it with an Inferno Tower and see if that works out. Hut decks are going to be a real pain.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How do you counter freeze and hog? Everything I try to do still allows for 2-3 hits from him. I guess a defensive tower?

How do you counter freeze and hog? Everything I try to do still allows for 2-3 hits from him. I guess a defensive tower?
I run a hog freeze deck and the decks that beat me the most tend to be either balloon freeze decks or heavy push decks (Pekka/giant). Try adding an inferno tower or cannon to your current deck if you just want to keep you deck though.

A properly placed cannon will solo a Hog by itself. The enemy is forced to either freeze your Tower or the Cannon. Once Freeze is dropped just place some cheap troops.

After the nerf, no idea. The hog can get one hit maybe.

I don't like the upcoming update. Too many Legendary cards. They need to cut the price to something more realistic or downgrade them. I feel like they just want to gouge players by introducing more legendary cards. Like, it's not enough that there are more Epics than either Common or Rare cards at the moment.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
A properly placed cannon will solo a Hog by itself. The enemy is forced to either freeze your Tower or the Cannon. Once Freeze is dropped just place some cheap troops.

I don't like the upcoming update. Too many Legendary cards. They need to cut the price to something more realistic or downgrade them. I feel like they just want to gouge players by introducing more legendary cards. Like, it's not enough that there are more Epics than either Common or Rare cards at the moment.

More legendaries, the more chance you have to get one... plus many people win without needing them.

It's time or money investment. You choose.

I don't get why everyone feels like they need access to every card to enjoy the game. Have you ever played a card game where you get easy access to all cards right away?

ElyrionX

Having more legendaries is precisely the way they gouge the playerbase. It has nothing at all to do with matchmaking like what many players are whining about.

I think it's a fine line they are treading here though. Princess and Ice Wizard are already OP as hell but most players don't run into them so it's not a visible issue for most of the playerbase. But three more legendaries is kind of pushing it, especially if they turn out to be as good as the origina two.

hollomat

Banned
More legendaries, the more chance you have to get one... plus many people win without needing them.

I don't get why everyone feels like they need access to every card to enjoy the game. Have you ever played a card game where you get easy access to all cards right away?

Having more legendaries doesn't mean more chance to get one. The odds are still the same of getting one except there's 5 to get now.

You need access to every card because the legendaries are unfairly efficient for their elixir cost. Having them puts you in an immediate advantage over someone who doesn't.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just got 9 gold for a win. This was not the update I was looking for.

Actually, more legendaries means less chance you get the specific one you want.

My issue how card access is getting skewed in favor of more expensive cards. Like, imagine in an extremely and unlikely scenario where 80% of the cards now got upgraded to legendary status. Sure, you'll have equal chances among cards of the same tier, but now you need to pay a lot more to buy/upgrade them. It inflates the average cost, although lowering rare costs helps.

Or put it this way: half the new cards are legendaries. The last big update that added cards added: Royal Giant, Three Musketeers, Dark Prince, Poison, Ice Wizard and Princess. That's: 1C, 1R, 2E and 2L. Next update: 1C, 1R, 1E, 3L. We're getting more and more rarer cards introduced relative to the more common ones. Imagine if the next update added 1C, 1R, 1E and 5L. It gets more expensive to play. I just wish they handled it better. Like, add one Legendary per big update and more C/R/E cards, instead of buckets of Legendaries every time. 2 Legendaries in the first update was understandable because it was a new tier.

hollomat

Banned
i got 12 and i think that is the max amount of gold you can get from winning....

I got 15 in arena 7. Not sure if you get more in arena 8. It's not much gold, but it's better than nothing.

The real gold though comes from the increased donations. 180 donations per day times 5 gold is a chance for 900 gold and 180 do every day.

Agent

ive not used them yet as mine as only level 3, but my royal giant is kicking some ass at level 6 - that range makes a big difference if you can keep him protected with barbs or something with good hp

It's essentially a mobile mortar now. I'm sure his use is going to increase a lot and be used similarly as mortars were with deck setup. You can no longer laugh when you see a Royal Giant thrown down.

JoeNut

It's essentially a mobile mortar now. I'm sure his use is going to increase a lot and be used similarly as mortars were with deck setup. You can no longer laugh when you see a Royal Giant thrown down.

Exactly right, i have removed my mortar from my mortar deck and replaced it with RG - it's essentially the same deck but the mortar moves!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Graveyard is a good counter for it. Costs two elixir and you can plop it down right in front of your tower. It doesn't matter if he freezes it because as soon as it is destroyed you get the 4 Skelton's or whatever to come out and kill him.

I'm liking the new donation system, the paltry amount of gold you get for winning in stupid though.

hollomat

Banned
Just realized they nerfed the gold in the chests. Gold and silver chests drop considerably less gold now. So even with the extra gold for wins and crown chests you'll probably wind up at the same gold per day or less.

Arena 7 silver chests dropped 58-73 gold yesterday, now it's 46-58.

Maximus P

I'm winning loads more matches after the update.

The bomb tower is so much easier to deal with and everyone still uses the hog/freeze deck which I combat easily by drawing the freeze with a low card then dropping another card once activated.

My tank deck is kicking ass.

Edit: it's kind of funny that after hours upon hours of play and hundreds of chests opened I'm sitting here at 2600 trophies and I still haven't got a legendary card or a witch.

mercviper

Just realized they nerfed the gold in the chests. Gold and silver chests drop considerably less gold now. So even with the extra gold for wins and crown chests you'll probably wind up at the same gold per day or less.

Arena 7 silver chests dropped 58-73 gold yesterday, now it's 46-58.
its the same gold or more given your example. Since you have to win to get chests so even though the chest drops less you still the same amount as before. If you only play for chests you make the same and if you play beyond that you make slightly more

Top Bottom