• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

zoukka

What do you think of my deck ? Currently kinda stuck in low Arena 5.

Doesn't have a clear win condition, just a lot of efficient units. I would suggest some kind of inevitable tower killing cards like Hog, Balloon or Barrell.

Dragon, Barbs, Knight, Bomber, Musceteer are all reactive/defensive cards. Knight is the only potential you have at killing your opponent.

ElyrionX

I'm in arena 4 and I'm fighting people with leveled up arena 6 cards. This game is actual horseshit. If that isn't bad enough my opponents are still consistently a higher level than me and my cards aren't as leveled so I have to work extra hard to bring down their towers.

Ummm think of it as you being more skilled at the game than your opponents.

ElyrionX

I'm sorry to say that this will continue all the way to Arena 8.

Haha pretty much. I am nearing A7 and about 90% of my opponents have higher level cards. I can beat some of them so it's a slow grind upwards. I do notice that every time I upgrade one or two of my cards, I immediately jump 100-200 cups above where I was comfortable before.

zoukka

Ummm think of it as you being more skilled at the game than your opponents.

It's still depressing, but that's just the nature of f2p games. You are not losing because the opponent played better, but because he just played a lvl 5 Golem that you cannot deal with. Of course the feeling is mirrored for the p2w player who loses to people 2 levels lower than him :b

Maximus P

I really hate coming up against ultra defensive decks that rely heavily on ranged attacks like fireball, barrels and rockets.

Even when I win I don't find the matches enjoyable at all.

zoukka

I'd swap out bomber for giant or giant Skelton personally. You have the arrows to deal with hordes and it really needs a tank to draw enemy fire.

No no no, his deck is already very expensive and switching out a cheap counter card for an expensive card would probably cripple the deck completely. Arrows alone is not enough to guarantee a safe defense. Most top tier decks play both zap+arrows and even more cards to ensure they don't get swarmed/minion horde'd to death.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Doesn't have a clear win condition, just a lot of efficient units. I would suggest some kind of inevitable tower killing cards like Hog, Balloon or Barrell.

Dragon, Barbs, Knight, Bomber, Musceteer are all reactive/defensive cards. Knight is the only potential you have at killing your opponent.
Yeah I think I'll switch the Prince for the Hog Rider. As it is, Prince is too easily countered I feel when the HR might at least get one or two hits at the tower.
Honestly just needs to play better. Those are absurdly powerful cards to be stuck in Arena 5.
These words, they hurt.

Maximus P

No no no, his deck is already very expensive and switching out a cheap counter card for an expensive card would probably cripple the deck completely. Arrows alone is not enough to guarantee a safe defense. Most top tier decks play both zap+arrows and even more cards to ensure they don't get swarmed/minion horde'd to death.

My deck is quite similar (and more expensive) to his and I was sitting on the fringe of arena 8 at 2850.

Level 7

Elixer
Giant
Giant Skelton
Arrows
Musketeer
Mini pekka
Spear goblins
Barbs

Tanks are my key to success. And mini pekka is used very much like most use the hog rider but the mini pekka can take out a tower on its own without the need of freeze.

Yeah, what's up with no real bonus for getting all three crowns? That seems like it would make it not as much of a goal at that point.
I don't know what arena you're in, but the higher you go the harder it becomes to 3-crown an opponent.

The only way it happens is if either player makes a mistake.

People have too similar decks, and people at the higher arenas are too skilled so know how to properly counter everything and anything.

It's all overtime-city and 1-0 wins once you get to Royal. It isn't that people are defending 1-0 it is just it's practically impossible to 3-crown.

zoukka

My deck is quite similar (and more expensive) to his and I was sitting on the fringe of arena 8 at 2850.

Level 7

Elixer
Giant
Giant Skelton
Arrows
Musketeer
Mini pekka
Spear goblins
Barbs

Tanks are my key to success. And mini pekka is used very much like most use the hog rider but the mini pekka can take out a tower on its own without the need of freeze.

You deck has a different strat and pump life makes all the difference in elixir cost. Your deck is a late game oriented pushing deck.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm still not a royale giant fan. The problem with him is that once he dies, your opponent has a pretty big elixir advantage since the giant didn't kill any troops. I would trade 1000 hp on my tower for that elixir advantage every time. This is also why I'm moving away from hog rider, because he doesn't kill anything and gives an advantage to other side in elixir. Plus everyone knows and expects a hog rider by now. I drop hog, they drop cannon. Anyway, since I dropped hog, I reached a new cup high by over 200 cups. Perhaps just a coincidence...

Since the weekend I've been stuck around 1200 to 1300 trophies. I win like 3 or 4 matches in a row, just to lose 3 or 4 matches in a row. It keeps repeating. I've changed up my deck some after reading parts of this thread.

My new lineup:

Spear Goblins level 8, Mini PEKKA level 4, Barbarians level 7, Goblins level 8, Minion Horde level 7, Balloon level 2, Arrows level 7, and Freeze level 2 (3.8 average elixir).

I have a lot of good cards on the sidelines right now (Prince, Giant, Skeleton Giant, Hog Rider, PEKKA, etc.), which makes me question my current direction.

I do recognize one of my issues is patience. I need to slow down sometimes, because I do get burnt by playing too fast. Another issue I have is when someone has a hut deck. I found the only way I beat this deck is to destroy the crown tower on the opposite side, and go for their king's tower as fast as possible. Still a lot of times they overwhelm the other side before I am able.

JoeNut

Having some decent success with this deck

Royal Giant
Elixir collector
baby dragon
skeletons
fireball
barbarians
Cannon
Zap

havent tried the new spirit things yet, i assume they'll need leveling up

I'm still not a royale giant fan. The problem with him is that once he dies, your opponent has a pretty big elixir advantage since the giant didn't kill any troops. I would trade 1000 hp on my tower for that elixir advantage every time. This is also why I'm moving away from hog rider, because he doesn't kill anything and gives an advantage to other side in elixir. Plus everyone knows and expects a hog rider by now. I drop hog, they drop cannon. Anyway, since I dropped hog, I reached a new cup high by over 200 cups. Perhaps just a coincidence...

That's a good point about the Royal Giant. What tank card do you find most useful?

hollomat

Banned
Since the weekend I've been stuck around 1200 to 1300 trophies. I win like 3 or 4 matches in a row, just to lose 3 or 4 matches in a row. It keeps repeating. I've changed up my deck some after reading parts of this thread.

My new lineup:

Spear Goblins level 8, Mini PEKKA level 4, Barbarians level 7, Goblins level 8, Minion Horde level 7, Balloon level 2, Arrows level 7, and Freeze level 2 (3.8 average elixir).

I have a lot of good cards on the sidelines right now (Prince, Giant, Skeleton Giant, Hog Rider, PEKKA, etc.), which makes me question my current direction.

I do recognize one of my issues is patience. I need to slow down sometimes, because I do get burnt by playing too fast. Another issue I have is when someone has a hut deck. I found the only way I beat this deck is to destroy the crown tower on the opposite side, and go for their king's tower as fast as possible. Still a lot of times they overwhelm the other side before I am able.

With this lvl of cards you should be in arena 6 or arena 7. Watch some arena 4 royale tv to see what decks others in that arena are playing and try to copy their decks and play style. You should be able to move up pretty quickly doing that just based on the lvl of your cards.

Ensirius

It's so funny using royal giant on those unsuspecting bomb tower / canon players.
They just have no idea how to deal with it!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
After bouncing in and out of arena 4 while trying out a couple decks I think I finally settled on one. Strangely enough I draw with it more than I've drawn with any other deck, but I get more wins than losses from the maddening 2 straight hours I just played. Still a win or two away from getting back into arena 4, but considering I was down about 350 trophies at one point that's not so bad.

Here it is, in case anybody wants to offer critique or improvements.

Skeleton
Valkyrie
Musketeer
Minion Horde
Giant
Bomb Tower
Prince
Witch

I try to combo a giant with the minions for offense. If they don't have arrows I'm pretty much guaranteed a couple quality slaps on their tower.

Agent

The new cards are fun, but I find myself going back to my original deck setup before the update. I just haven't found a good setup with the new ones that can attack/defend against most attacks/counters. I haven't seen too many of them in my battles yet to get ideas either.

It would be fun to setup some friendly clan battles to try new decks out, or at least have some type of casual multiplayer mode for testing. I'm hovering around 3100 trophies so I don't really want to experiment and drop out of Legendary.

Stealth Edit: Just got a Princess from the Crown Chest today.

Future

D:

Well I was having a pretty good time with this game. How disappointing.

Everyone feels frustrated at first based on that at first. It's just your trophy level. If he's at the same trophy level as you then it could be because they suck and you will still be able to squeeze out a win. It might because they suddenly paid money and over leveled their cards, and now they have to escalate passed that arena level through wins. It could be because they are trolling for YouTube views and knocked their trophy level way down purposefully (no in game advantage of doing it)

I've come to like it. It created variety and ensures no match is the same. There are certain trophy levels, like 2000-2200 where you have people struggling due to wide variety of decks, keeping their trophy level low even though their level is high. I fought a level 10 there the other day (I'm 8) which felt crazy

JoeNut

balloon should be the next nerf, at level 3 it's just unstoppable.

someone used a mini pekka on me earlier - that thing takes off 500 damage a swipe if it gets to your tower at level 5 - crazy!

Future

Everyone uses hog though. The building only troops are really good because they can't get distracted (unless opponent drops a counter building...which is good because they spend elixir only on defense and nothing that can push on you). The trick is don't spawn then alone, and provide some meat shield so they can stay there long enough for your elixir to grow and mount a defense. Also don't spawn them if it leaves you with zero elixir if they can counter with near full elixir.

The royal giant is a little pricey though. He isn't "that" tanky. I wish he had a bit more health

Maximus P

Holy crap. I've gone around 35 games without a win...dropping from 2900 to 1850.

And it's been a week since I've seen someone on equal level to me (level 7).

Edit: what's with the influx of people saying 'thanks' after a game when they've beaten me? Is that another way of being a massive c**t after a match? Like the laugh? I normally respond with a 'good game' and 'wellplayed'..becuase I'm a nice guy and not a moron.

commish

Everyone uses hog though. The building only troops are really good because they can't get distracted (unless opponent drops a counter building...which is good because they spend elixir only on defense and nothing that can push on you). The trick is don't spawn then alone, and provide some meat shield so they can stay there long enough for your elixir to grow and mount a defense. Also don't spawn them if it leaves you with zero elixir if they can counter with near full elixir.

The royal giant is a little pricey though. He isn't "that" tanky. I wish he had a bit more health

That's my point though. Everyone uses hog, so everyone runs hog counters and knows how to defend it. A hog that gets off only one swing of his hammer is no better than just fireballing your opponents tower, which no one would ever do. I agree that you have to run other units with the hog, but the opponent will always have a big advantage because of the tower and because the hog rider doesn't attack. Hogs are best used for punish people who over extend, and for that purpose, they are the best. There's just not a lot of overextending at my level.

Holy crap. I've gone around 35 games without a win...dropping from 2900 to 1850.

And it's been a week since I've seen someone on equal level to me (level 7).

Edit: what's with the influx of people saying 'thanks' after a game when they've beaten me? Is that another way of being a massive c**t after a match? Like the laugh? I normally respond with a 'good game' and 'wellplayed'..becuase I'm a nice guy and not a moron.

Yes, just people being asshats when they say "thank you".

Ferny

Time to change the deck.
That's the thing! I have lol like 4-5 times. I'll get a couple wins in a row and then drooooop. Just need to get in a groove.

I've had fucking far worse. From Spell Valley to Barbarian Bowl in one day!! And then back into Spell Valley the next day or day after. Same deck. Game can be bullshit sometimes.

Damn! That is indeed far worse. Hope you got back up man!

Durden77

I hope that in the next update they'll make it to where you can still access other tabs while waiting for a friendly battle. So dumb that you can't.

It works pretty well with Hut Decks imo. I always struggled vs bomb Tower, not anymore with Royal giant. Since you have lots of bodies it doesn't matter that much that he doesn't kill. Dunno if it still works when you approach legendary though, currently only sitting at around 2100.

Raven77

Thoughts on my deck? I've been bouncing between Spell Valley and Pekka Playhouse for weeks. Although I do experiment a lot. I also just unlocked the Furnace, not sure if thats worth using or not yet.

Main deck:

Giant lvl 5
Prince lvl 2
Tombstone lvl 4
Minions lvl 7
Spear Goblins lvl 8
Skeletons lvl 5
Goblins lvl 7

Strategy is to duplicate either the giant or prince and draw chargers like prince / hog / baloon to the tombstone if opponent is using those.

Any changes recommended? I could upgrade minions to level 8, tomb to lvl 5, skeletons to lvl 7, and goblins to lvl 8 but haven't yet.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Been having decent success in Arena 4 with this deck, might be worth trying if you need something new.

Goblins
Spear Goblins
Skeletons
Mini Pekka
Hog Rider
Zap
Fireball
Cannon

Average elixir cost is only 2.8. I think my only losses are from mistakes I've made.

My tower pushes are usually just Hog Rider + Zap, leaving me with plenty of elixir left for defense if need be.

Cannon is used to distract/defend, and Skeletons plus Goblins are mostly used to kite enemies from one side of the arena to the other. Goblins also pair well with the Mini Pekka for a tower push.

Fireball is used to defend or finish off a tower in the final seconds. Players usually defend a tower well if you've got it below 200 HP but luckily there's nothing they can do against that.

I don't think I've come across a good hut player yet though.

Raven77

I have a real problem with upgrading my cards. I have at least 10 cards waiting to be upgraded but I always worry that I'll upgrade something then stop using it in the near future.

Right now I have the following I could upgrade

Knight
Archer
Goblin Barrel
Mini Pekka
Arrows
Fireball
Cannon
Barbarians
Barbarian Hut
Rocket
Zap Tower
Inferno Tower
PEKKA
Wizard
Lightning

A lot of those could be upgraded multiple times too. Sitting on about 14,000 gold.

Dazzler

Dropped from Spell Valley almost all the way down to Arena 3 but have stabilized and am working back up with the following deck:

Spear Gobs (Level 7)
Giant (Level 5)
Minions (Level 7)
Goblin Barrel (Level 2)
Arrows (Level 7)
Baby Dragon (Level 2)
Musketeer (Level 4)
Valkyrie (Level 5)

Any recommendations on how to mix it up deck-wise?

hollomat

Banned
I have a real problem with upgrading my cards. I have at least 10 cards waiting to be upgraded but I always worry that I'll upgrade something then stop using it in the near future.

Right now I have the following I could upgrade

Knight
Archer
Goblin Barrel
Mini Pekka
Arrows
Fireball
Cannon
Barbarians
Barbarian Hut
Rocket
Zap Tower
Inferno Tower
PEKKA
Wizard
Lightning

A lot of those could be upgraded multiple times too. Sitting on about 14,000 gold.

This is how it's supposed to work. Unless you want to pay, you'll need to prioritize which cards to upgrade.

I'm around 2600 trophies and have 24 cards that can be upgraded. I only upgrade the ones I use, but I always have enough gold in case I want to change it up.

I'd recommending donating as much as possible to get more gold. I try to hit the 60 cap and the new 180 cap each day. I donate every single card except the one I'm currently trying to upgrade and I only request that card.

ultron87

I've decided that after probably 500+ games I've played enough to give this game a small amount of money. Current plan is that whenever I freely earn my way to enough gems to buy a Giant chest (which I only got to just now) I'll pay the 3 dollar difference to get a Magical instead. I shall stick to this rule. Yes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've decided that after probably 500+ games I've played enough to give this game a small amount of money. Current plan is that whenever I freely earn my way to enough gems to buy a Giant chest (which I only got to just now) I'll pay the 3 dollar difference to get a Magical instead. I shall stick to this rule. Yes.

$99.99 is best value, buy buy buy

red13th

I've reached Arena 7 and I'm doing actually pretty okay IMO after they finally nerfed Bomb Tower, game became so much more fun. Rage and Balloon are probably the most annoying cards to me right now but nothing like Bomb Tower was.

Maximus P

Just unlocked Skelton gaurds in a giant chest and swapped them out for my barbs.

I'm flying up in cups now, winning loads. Such a great card for low cost. Can't wait to get the card to a decent level.

commish

$99.99 is best value, buy buy buy

My clan:

January: Eh, I'm F2P, not gonna give them any money.

February: This game is pretty awesome, but gonna stay F2P.

March/April: Eh... the devs deserve some money. I'll spend $20 and just gem chests.

May update: Man, I spent $100 on super magical chests and only got 1 legendary. Oh well.

JoeNut

jesus i watched video's of Sparky and it does 1300 damage in one hit on the guard towers, i am not looking forward to facing one.

And that's at level 1 btw

red13th

I beat Sparky decks twice (only faced them twice) but the players weren't very good. One had Sparky+Mirror, so annoying! Barbs were a good counter, but when they dropped Sparky+Valkyrie things got bad... thank god for fat Giant split push.

Top Bottom