• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
just got back. fucking intense. really enjoyed it.

shaky cam didn't bother me, instead it really made me feel like i was there in the action. and they always framed the money shots/pay offs perfectly.

personally i thought the credits should have rolled at the helicopter crash

The Origin of the monster all well depends on how close the movie and the ARG go together. It could go 2 ways.

Deep sea Nectar or
The thing that fell into the ocean at the end.

But then again, that could have been the Tagruato Satellite falling out of the sky.

I would expect some sort of explanation done either by the ARG or as a feature on the DVD (Kind of odd to be thinking about that already, when it just hit theaters today, but hey:lol)

I knew that the openness would upset people, but the groups story was complete. The whole "Movie about an Event, not a movie about a Monster" thing.

Buttonbasher said:
The Origin of the monster all well depends on how close the movie and the ARG go together. It could go 2 ways.

Deep sea Nectar or
The thing that fell into the ocean at the end.

But then again, that could have been the Tagruato Satellite falling out of the sky.
See, i honestly hate this kind of bullshit. I shouldn't have to look into some marketing internet game to get everything out of the movie. It wasn't in the film, so i'm not taking it as part of it. The
thing that fell into the ocean
is the monster in my mind, since there is no other explanation for that as presented in the movie. It actually kinda cheapens it for me.

dark_chris

Saw the midnight show. It was so freaking sweet. I loved the movie. It felt like at times you were in it. I am seeing it again later today. :D

Spotless Mind said:
See, i honestly hate this kind of bullshit. I shouldn't have to look into some marketing internet game to get everything out of the movie. It wasn't in the film, so i'm not taking it as part of it. The
thing that fell into the ocean
is the monster in my mind, since there is no other explanation for that as presented in the movie. It actually kinda cheapens it for me.
And theres absolutely no reason why you should be forced into following the internet thing to get it. If you have been following you might notice some stuff other people wouldn't (See Tagruato logo on the tanker, and the Slusho shirt). But the movie didn't depend on it, so theres really nothing wrong with your theory. In hindsight, theres no real reason for them to put it there if it wasn't important. It would work with the timestamps too.

Oil tanker floats into the Harbor. Military investigates intent with sonar. Sees something big under the water, and decides to take it out. Bombs the area, blowing up the tanker (See explosion on the roof at the party). Awakens monster, which is pissed enough that it breaks apart the nearest thing (Statue of Liberty). etc.

As they've not offered any explanation, theories are all we can have for now, and theres nothing making yours less likely than mine. It would be dumb for them to depend on the internet experience for something as big as that.

Nemesis_

Can someone please explain the whole SLUSHO, Tagruato thing? I am clueless as to where to find this information.

Buttonbasher said:
And theres absolutely no reason why you should be forced into following the internet thing to get it. If you have been following you might notice some stuff other people wouldn't (See Tagruato logo on the tanker, and the Slusho shirt). But the movie didn't depend on it, so theres really nothing wrong with your theory. In hindsight, theres no real reason for them to put it there if it wasn't important. It would work with the timestamps too.

Oil tanker floats into the Harbor. Military investigates intent with sonar. Sees something big under the water, and decides to take it out. Bombs the area, blowing up the tanker (See explosion on the roof at the party). Awakens monster, which is pissed enough that it breaks apart the nearest thing (Statue of Liberty). etc.

As they've not offered any explanation, theories are all we can have for now, and theres nothing making yours less likely than mine. It would be dumb for them to depend on the internet experience for something as big as that.
Yeah. It's just kinda irritating to explain this stuff outside the film. Those answers you supplied *are* the answers to lots of the vague events in it, as there are some slight connections as you just said. There can be no real interpretation of these events when people can refute other peoples claims using this 'canon' material from a marketing game. They aren't detrimental, of course. I thought it was damn great regardless, but it doesn't really excuse this kind of shoddy storytelling for me.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i wonder if they'll make a series (or mini-series) covering events leading up to or after the major event we see in the movie. i suppose it depends on how successful the movie is.

Vlad

Spotless Mind said:
Yeah. It's just kinda irritating to explain this stuff outside the film. Those answers you supplied *are* the answers to lots of the vague events in it, as there are some slight connections as you just said. There can be no real interpretation of these events when people can refute other peoples claims using this 'canon' material from a marketing game. They aren't detrimental, of course. I thought it was damn great regardless, but it doesn't really excuse this kind of shoddy storytelling for me.

It seems like that sort of thing is becoming more common nowadays. Heroes is sort of the same way, with their online comics. Some of them are little sidestories that aren't necessary, but there are other times where they tell stories that really should have been left for the show itself.

Heck, there's one character that showed up on the show once, and hasn't been seen again. Someone who wasn't reading the comic would not only not know that this character
was dead, but also managed to affect a fairly substantial plot point in regards to the show

Nemesis556 said:
Can someone please explain the whole SLUSHO, Tagruato thing? I am clueless as to where to find this information.

Long Version: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9143003&postcount=314

Short Version: In the movie Rob's brother has a Slusho shirt. Rob is going to Japan to work for Slusho. Slusho is a freeze-drink (That as of now does not exist). It's site was found from searching for Slusho after seeing the shirt in the teaser. It's part of the ARG aka Alternate Reality Game. Basically it's viral marketing that offers backstory. Tagruato is a deep sea drilling company that is the parent company of Slusho. At the station closest to New York (which has no oil by the way), a member of the anti-Tagruato group TIDO Wave sent a message to his girlfriend, Jamie, saying that Tagruato has either found, or is making something, which we believe to be the monster.

As of now, it's provided backstory, but it's arguable how much would be considered canon. For example the ARG stuff leads you to believe the movie takes place in January (See Rob's Myspace saying he's leaving Mid-January to goto Japan), even though the film happens in May.

Could explain some more stuff, or it could have all just been a hype train. Regardless, I found it interesting...

Spotless Mind said:

They kind of dug themselves a hole with the ending. I mean
Hud Theorizes it might come from space, and honestly the marketing would support this (Some THING has found us). And the movie alludes to it being from space with the thing falling into the water at the end.

But the ARG is pointing us in a completely different direction saying its a mutated sea creature. Reasons I could see that being correct are the little ones that tag along on the monsters back. Like the symbiotic relationship between certain sea creatures.

Both have their merits, but theres no clear winner. I can see the reasoning behind not telling us (Wouldn't have fit with the feel), but I agree they should have given us some better hints at least.

Really, really enjoyed this movie. It was an intense rollercoaster ride from the moment the first building explodes.

I'd say the most unbelievable scene in the whole movie (as long as you've accepted the fiction of a giant monster attacking Manhattan) was
everyone surviving the chopper crash, and being able to walk away from it

Crushed

Fry Daddy
The production notes clearly say that "Clover"
has been sleeping on the ocean floor for thousands of years, and has just "woken up/been born."

I guess he could be an ancient "astronaut" like The Thing, but I still think that my original theory was somewhere on the right track: the Nectar or something is extraterrestrial, Clover is some kind of chimera composing of various species.

Maybe... remember the Black Oil in the X-Files? Symbiotic virus that lived inside the Colonist Grays? Maybe it's sorta like that. Maybe Clover was originally some kind of Gray alien with a symbiotic relationship with the Nectar, but something happened and he was killed and somehow ended up on the ocean floor (ship crash?). The Nectar took his body and used it as a host... and combined with other species (angler fish teeth, whale tail, crab legs, etc.). Maybe that's why it's humanoid in shape, but still ancient and animal-like, while still maintaining the whole "space" and "found us" connection.

I dunno. Just what it seems like to me right now.

ckohler

I'd say the most unbelievable scene in the whole movie (as long as you've accepted the fiction of a giant monster attacking Manhattan) was
everyone surviving the chopper crash, and being able to walk away from it.

Well the helicopter didn't exactly do a nose-dive like an airplane. The monster hit the rear rotor causing it to spiral out of control and hit the ground very hard. So, it's at least plausible they could survived the crash however I did notice that the pilots didn't.

Crushed said:
The production notes clearly say that "Clover"
has been sleeping on the ocean floor for thousands of years, and has just "woken up/been born."

I guess he could be an ancient "astronaut" like The Thing, but I still think that my original theory was somewhere on the right track: the Nectar or something is extraterrestrial, Clover is some kind of chimera composing of various species.

Maybe... remember the Black Oil in the X-Files? Symbiotic virus that lived inside the Colonist Grays? Maybe it's sorta like that. Maybe Clover was originally some kind of Gray alien with a symbiotic relationship with the Nectar, but something happened and he was killed and somehow ended up on the ocean floor (ship crash?). The Nectar took his body and used it as a host... and combined with other species (angler fish teeth, whale tail, crab legs, etc.). Maybe that's why it's humanoid in shape, but still ancient and animal-like, while still maintaining the whole "space" and "found us" connection.

I dunno. Just what it seems like to me right now.
That would make a lot of sense too, because the parts you mention are the creatures from the TIDO Wave hack on Tagruato.

ckohler

I think the monster's origin is explained in the movie.

Remember when they were out on the balcony and that first earthquake causes the power outage? I think people are assuming that the earthquake was caused by the monster. However, it was a massive quake, too big to have come from the monster. I believe it was a legitimate earthquake that opened a "crevasse" in the ocean floor from which the monster could emerge. Remember Hud talking about that? I think he was dead right. The monster was under the ocean floor and was released by the earthquake. That's why the first thing attacked was the oil tanker.

ckohler said:

Remember when they were out on the balcony and that first earthquake causes the power outage? I think people are assuming that the earthquake was caused by the monster. However, it was a massive quake, too big to have come from the monster. I believe it was a legitimate earthquake that opened a "crevasse" in the ocean floor from which the monster could emerge. Remember Hud talking about that? I think he was dead right. The monster was under the ocean floor and was released by the earthquake. That's why the first thing attacked was the oil tanker.
Did the newswoman say "Thunderous, Roaring sound" in the movie, or just the trailer? Earthquake, and roar?

Your idea totally works though, I hadn't even thought about that...

ckohler said:

Decent theory but it runs contrary to the ARG. The creature clearly took out that oil rig a few weeks before attacking new york. I don't think the answer will ever be so specific. TIDO says there is no oil where Tugruato is digging, I believe this. Its almost sure they are drilling for the nectar. So it stands to reason they woke the monster up. The only thing imo that is really missing is the relationship between the monster and the nectar. Does the nectar come from the monster, is the nectar its food? is the nectar Unearthly and mutate the creature?
The space talk has had confused me from the start, but maybe the nectar is what fell to Earth long ago. Its could be a living being of some kind. Maybe the nectar has been growing in the bottom of the sea, it mutated or made that beast from loose sea animals, they we woke it up drilling. Thats the best I got. The ARG has to at least finish the teddy/jamie story. He's likely dead, and she has been eating the nectar raw.
So anyone who has seen it. I was told that in the movie, Jamie
does nothing and is only see briefly and not heard
, is that true. If so Then yeah they need to explain some shit.

BobTheFork said:
Decent theory but it runs contrary to the ARG. The creature clearly took out that oil rig a few weeks before attacking new york. I don't think the answer will ever be so specific. TIDO says there is no oil where Tugruato is digging, I believe this. Its almost sure they are drilling for the nectar. So it stands to reason they woke the monster up. The only thing imo that is really missing is the relationship between the monster and the nectar. Does the nectar come from the monster, is the nectar its food? is the nectar Unearthly and mutate the creature?
The space talk has had confused me from the start, but maybe the nectar is what fell to Earth long ago. Its could be a living being of some kind. Maybe the nectar has been growing in the bottom of the sea, it mutated or made that beast from loose sea animals, they we woke it up drilling. Thats the best I got. The ARG has to at least finish the teddy/jamie story. He's likely dead, and she has been eating the nectar raw.
So anyone who has seen it. I was told that in the movie, Jamie
does nothing and is only see briefly and not heard
, is that true. If so Then yeah they need to explain some shit.
I don't think its Jamie. This girl looked different. She's passed out on a couch at the party.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I have no clue about the ARG... will I still be able to watch this movie or will it be completely pointless, a la FF7 Advent Children is for people who never played FF7?

whytemyke said:
I have no clue about the ARG... will I still be able to watch this movie or will it be completely pointless, a la FF7 Advent Children is for people who never played FF7?
No it's a complete movie. The ARG just gives some backstory.

ckohler

whytemyke said:
The ARG has no impact on the plot of the movie. The characters are clueless as to what's going on and the movie doesn't make any effort to explain anything, anyway. It's all just a big mystery. That might sound frustrating but it adds to the realism.

Nemesis_

icarus-daedelus said:
Sweet! I trust it's cooler than a cloud of smoke, then.
MUCH COOLER!

Oh yeah, btw, I noticed something recently at this site: -
http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/

1. You may get nauseous. I was...I didn't throw up or anything, but Dramamine may be your best friend. FWIW, I was fine when I saw Blair Witch, so YMMV.
2. Look for someone passed out on a couch at the party. That's all I'm saying.
3. Stay for the end credits. All the way to the end.
4. Have Fun!

Also, on the same site: -

image1.jpg

There is a new photo on 1-18-08.com. This appears to be after the
nighttime military attack,
seen in the previous photo. There is nothing on the back.

Was the military strike unsuccessful, or did they kill a different 'monster'?

Now, forgive me for asking, but don't we get a voice clip at the end, which, when reversed, states that the
monster is alive?
or are they talking about
Rob and his girlfriend?

That site ALSO has a translated Manga too.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, it says
"It's", and "it's" doesn't seem to qualify as Rob and Beth ("They're")

Oh yeah, new pic
1-18-08_11.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Lonestar said:
Well, it says
"It's", and "it's" doesn't seem to qualify as Rob and Beth ("They're")

Oh yeah, new pic
1-18-08_11.jpg
is that a spoiler? I can't even tell.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
No, it's on the 1-18-08 site, same place as the boat and bloody water. I have no clue what that mess really might be.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got back. Gonna go stream of consciousness here so bear with the structure. I knew absolutely nothing about the flick besides having seen the first trailer. Managed to avoid everything else. Spoilers ahead etc.

First, the shaky cam. I am very susceptible to this, and it looks like Fnord ended up having a gimped experience because of it, but I ancitipated and sat fairly far back. Besides a bit of a headache by the time the credits rolled, no issues thankfully. I think I can attribute this to the way the cinematographers handled it. They really went for the feel of a handheld, and the screen shakes when it has to, but it's stable enough to not make me queezy. Props to that, it could've very easily been unwatchable if they went for greengrass-style shit or actual amateur handheld action like blair witch.

Gripes: the monster looked a little silly, and the full body shots of it are really the ONLY thing that took me out of my total immersion with the film. Also, cell phones are a-ok during all this? Not likely. And the battery would've ran out on the camcorder, even if they had two spares, especially with the light on in the tunnel.

That's pretty much all I can gripe about, and really, who gives a shit about those things? Fucking spectacular, awesome, intense, thrilling, grand fucking slam film. Totally succeeds with its concept. Builds up its characters perfectly. The first act is compelling in its own right as a human drama, which just elevates the rest of the film so much further when the characters are running the gauntlet. Sacrificing Jason perfectly fuels the irrational suicide mission to save Beth. Building Hud up as having a fixation on being a documentarian during the party sidesteps the possible plot hole of having a camera rolling during the insane imagery going on. Everything comes together so well, with unbelievable intensity and just enough humor mixed in there to keep it from being fatiguing.

Seeing Marlena's bite marks instantly brings to mind the standard zombie movie cliches, but in this case rather than rolling my eyes I was basically going, "no...no...no...no...no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO HOLY FUCK ;( ;( ;(." Thankfully they didn't overuse it. Once was the right way to go. Marlena ;(. I like how you could maybe see a connection potentially forming between Marlena and Hud, in between the sarcasm and cold shoulders, but nothing has a chance to happen before the big downer. Keeps it real.

Seeing Beth open her eyes, impaled as she was, after all the craziness leading up to it was pretty magical. The touch of having the tape overwriting that perfect day for Rob and Beth, allowing us to catch little glimpses of them living it out between Hud's recording was just plain inspired.

Cloverfield actually felt a lot like, bear with me here, one of those universal studios or whatever rides, like the Back to the Future ride, where you're in that seat that moves to immerse you in the flying around and all that going on on-screen. Except Cloverfield's a full realization of this concept and then some, and without the gimmicks. It's one hell of a ride.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I liked the movie, but I wish it had just been a news crew following the monster around. The characters are awful, and Hud cracking jokes every ten seconds became really annoying. They have a damn good monster in the film, and you don't complement it by having some hipster moron make "funnies" ad nauseum.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anerythristic said:
Hey guys in the U.S. it's PG 13. Can I responsibly bring a 13 year old and an 11 year old to this movie?

Yes, but there are some scenes that might make you reget doing so. Nothing too offensive, IMO.

Saw this last night. I loved it. Good pacing. Sounds corny, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, hehe. Part of me wanted them to explain where the thing came from though. Damn!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
OK, so clearly Cloverfield is managing to live up to most of the hype -- but will the mainstream bite? Based on the immediate reaction to the finale, I'm afraid word of mouth will affect second-weekend success Still, so long as it doesn't do half the projections <i>this</i> weekend, as Snakes on a Plane did, we could be in for an interesting post-Cloverfield ride.

I want a Cloverfield sequel, but I want to see the same events, but from a different persons angle. Say like a soldiers view, I don't know.

Chiggs

Gold Member
EviLore said:
Just got back. Gonna go stream of consciousness here so bear with the structure.

So you thought the monster looked "silly" in some of the shots, but you liked the characters? I imagine you will be in the minority on this one.

The monster is what totally redeemed the movie. The characters are jokes. Absolute jokes. I can't imagine too many people being moved by some cookie-cutter Manhattan hipsters and their relationship problems.

And just for the record, that scene with Beth in her apartment was, to me, the worst in the film. Schmaltzy and stupid, and lacking any real emotional depth or intelligence.

"DURRRRR, I CAME FOR YOU. SORRY I'M LATE."

"DATS OKAY, BABY, I LOVE YOU!"

Am I supposed to tear up at this crap? The monster was a complete success; the characters utter failures. Thank God Phil Tippet knocked it out of the park, that's all I can say.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
So whats with that clue on the site about that passed out girl on the couch. I didnt really notice anything

seems Hud is a real "love or hate" kind of character, based on all the impressions I've read.

is Rob just completely devoid of personality or something? No one ever talks about him. :lol

adelante

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I want a Cloverfield sequel, but I want to see the same events, but from a different persons angle. Say like a soldiers view, I don't know.
Seeing as how the movie thrived on the whole handheld cam concept i dun see how that's possible...unless its from a reporter's point of view

I loved the movie.
The Marines shooting at the creature was one of my favorite parts. I didn't expect him to eat the cameraman though. Figured his eyes were too far apart to see him. I expected the creature to look more insect like from the concept art shown, I still would have rolled up a newspaper and hit it.

Anyone know where the end credits theme can be purchased? It was awesome. Reminded me of an old Godzilla movie.

TheJollyCorner said:
is Rob just completely devoid of personality or something? No one ever talks about him. :lol
Devoid of personality pretty much sums it up. Insert any random JJ Abrams male lead: Michael Vaughn, Jackass Shephard, Ben Covington and there you have whatshisname... Rob. He was just a nothing character and so was that other girl... whatever her name was.

Marlena was the best character the movie had going for it.

I agree with your points Chiggs. It is the superb execution of the monster, action and camera work that made this film great. The characters not so much.

Tr4nce

ParticleReality said:
Yes. Because when me and J Dawg were coming up with the movie I wanted to do a battletoads type thing with lobsters. He still has it kind of, its more of like a hole where he sticks things in.

clawhammer.jpg

LobsterMan1.jpg

So after reading some of the reviews I'm totally glad the monster wasn't like this AT ALL.

One more week for us Dutchies. Come on!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chiggs said:
So you thought the monster looked "silly" in some of the shots, but you liked the characters? I imagine you will be in the minority on this one.

The monster is what totally redeemed the movie. The characters are jokes. Absolute jokes. I can't imagine too many people being moved by some cookie-cutter Manhattan hipsters and their relationship problems.

And just for the record, that scene with Beth in her apartment was, to me, the worst in the film. Schmaltzy and stupid, and lacking any real emotional depth or intelligence.

"DURRRRR, I CAME FOR YOU. SORRY I'M LATE."

"DATS OKAY, BABY, I LOVE YOU!"

Am I supposed to tear up at this crap? The monster was a complete success; the characters utter failures. Thank God Phil Tippet knocked it out of the park, that's all I can say.

I don't expect anything complex out of desperate people in a desperate situation with little to no time to get the hell out of there. Elation at what's going on & the shedding of pretense is basically what went down, and that's what feels right to me.

But *shrug*, cynicism is a bitch. I lost track of how many time I rolled my eyes during Juno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom