• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Fwiw I felt like like I was going to throw up after the film and on the ride home until I had some food.

Then again I was short on time to make the showing and I seriously scarfed down lunch in a second and then ran to the film...

I'd just recommend not eating 'right' before the movie if your the type of person who occasionally feels like throwing up.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
MIMIC said:
Just wondering....are there any other "shaky cam" movies that are comparable to Cloverfield? I don't ever remember getting motion sickness in a movie so I just wanna know if this is worse than any other.

Blair Witch is the obvious example, I can't think of anything else although I'm sure they're out there.

And I didn't realize motion sickness was such a widespread ailment. It's never been a problem for me, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Truelize said:
I heard on the radio today that people had to leave screenings of this last night because of the shaky camera. People were getting some serious motion sickness.

Is it that bad?
Nothing worse than something you'd make with your friends.

I was actually surprised, when the camera was steady, how excellent the quality was. digital filming ftw.

MIMIC

Banned
Spire said:
Blair Witch is the obvious example, I can't think of anything else although I'm sure they're out there.

And I didn't realize motion sickness was such a widespread ailment. It's never been a problem for me, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've never seen Blair Witch :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The original Blair Witch isn't bad, it scared the hell outta me. It didn't deserve the hype it got but I can't hold the marketing campaign against the film.

DaMan121

Enjoyed it. Quite a bit in fact. On a few occasions it did convey a sense of dread, but honestly I think todays audience is so jaded (not only because of 9/11), that it doesn't really do the things it intends to do. If this movie was released 20 years ago it would be groundbreaking cinema, but today its merely a decent night out imo.
The acting was spot on, and the characters rarely did or said anything I would expect a 'real' person to do it this situation. There was only one actor I actually recognized, and the camera was moving so fast that I barely caught a glimpse of him. Ah yes, the camera, it worse than Blair.. I had no problem with it, but the guy next to me nearly threw up :) Ok to the main character of the movie: SPOLERS!!
The monster design was actually quite cool, although I think the crawlers stole the show as far as tension was concerned at the train station. I wasn't expecting the final lunge by the monster towards the chopper though LOL, I thought that it was about to get f*cked. The final scenes ( the pre-death testimonials ) are actually quite good, and again, if it wasn't for Blair Witch, they would have had a lot more impact. Overall the FX get a thumbs up from me.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Bebpo said:
wow.

The only people I can see disliking the film are those over 30/40 and those who don't like monster/disaster films.
Expect the epic, inexplicable GAF backlash 5-9 months from now.

DaMan121

Bebpo said:
wow.

The only people I can see disliking the film are those over 30/40 and those who don't like monster/disaster films.

Hey now, 30 year olds are put into the same demographic as 20 year olds in all major marketing research, don't lump us with the over 40s!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I actually expected GAF to really hate Cloverfield. My guess is the movie doesn't sit as well on a second viewing, but watching it on your home set might actually be more enjoyable than a theater, in some respects, as it'd be like you're actually watching a home video.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
apocalidiot said:
I don't care if it wouldn't fit, I
wanted an ending
. I liked it I guess but yeah...

What?
The main characters died, how much more of an ending do you need?

Bebpo

Banned
Spire said:
What?
The main characters died, how much more of an ending do you need?

Well and
assuming you didn't sit through the credits and you can't rewind voices backwards in your head, you'd probably assume the monster died as well.

Seems like about as much closure as you can get for an ending.

DaMan121

There was something after the credits?!! Motherfucker! We were sitting there with my friend, then I thought.. nah, there wont be anything, so we walk out and go " I bet when I get gome Ill read on GAF that there something after the credits".. We laughed. :lol

Edit: Just saw it ( thanks to who posted it!).. meh.

kassatsu

Banned
DaMan121 said:
There was something after the credits?!! Motherfucker! We were sitting there with my friend, then I thought.. nah, there wont be anything, so we walk out and go " I bet when I get gome Ill read on GAF that there something after the credits".. We laughed. :lol

Edit: Just saw it ( thanks to who posted it!).. meh.
Yea I hoped it was more =\

Bebpo said:
Well and
assuming you didn't sit through the credits and you can't rewind voices backwards in your head, you'd probably assume the monster died as well.

Seems like about as much closure as you can get for an ending.

A cliche news report saying what happened could have pleased me. I know that it wouldn't fit at all but I still wanted something.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
typhonsentra said:
Did they for sure? Who was the voice after the credits? Also, did the monster die?
you can hear the radio say they're going to code hammerdown or whatever, then god help us, sometime around when they're in the heli... which means nuke the area. thats the blast that did them in.

SUPREME1

Banned
sefskillz said:
you can hear the radio say they're going to code hammerdown or whatever, then god help us, sometime around when they're in the heli... which means nuke the area. thats the blast that did them in.

F*ck
them

What about
the monster, did the nuke kill the monster? it's some kind of mutant creature to begin with.. who's to say the nuke doesn't make him bigger and angrier?!

*sigh*

I need an
ending guys.. that or a BJ.

birdman

apocalidiot said:
A cliche news report saying what happened could have pleased me. I know that it wouldn't fit at all but I still wanted something.

I would've liked something like this as well.

ImperialConquest said:
F*ck
them

What about
the monster, did the nuke kill the monster? it's some kind of mutant creature to begin with.. who's to say the nuke doesn't make him bigger and angrier?!

*sigh*

I need an
ending guys.. that or a BJ.
The movie isn't about the monster. It's about the people trying to survive the monster. THe monster would eventually be defeated by the military at some point, so whether that happened in the final bombing is a moot point, because it's destruction is inevitable. The real story is about the people and that wraps up nicely at the end.

sefskillz

snack said:
Be more specific. Do you see it or is it heard during the final sequence with
the death of Rob and Beth
i didnt see it but i assumed it was in the scene where
they were on the ferris wheel thing

Reilly

snack said:
Be more specific. Do you see it or is it heard during the final sequence with
the death of Rob and Beth
The wide-shot of the beach and the ocean. Look to the right.

Entwain

Its when they are on the ferris wheel, look to the right where the cruise ship is going across and you'll see something shoot down from the sky into the ocean.

Dead Man

Ok, I thought it was a good movie, not great, but solid. I have been following the ARG pretty closely and can honestly say it did not add much to the experience. It was nice to have a bit of the backstory, but it mostly relates to the characters, not the monster.

I thought the acting dialogue was ok, people would not really give speeches in a situation like that. Also the actors were not completely aware of an particular scenes significance, apparently they were working with severely limited scripts, so think they did well with that.

The monster design struck me as more alien than aquatic, I don't really know how to explain that other than the lack of aquatic features (web feet etc.)

sefskillz said:

I don't think it was a nuke, there was one explosion, then you heard them speaking briefly, then another explosion. I think maybe it was some sort of Fuel/Air bomb. Could be wrong though.

SUPREME1

Banned
snack said:
The movie isn't about the monster. It's about the people trying to survive the monster. THe monster would eventually be defeated by the military at some point, so whether that happened in the final bombing is a moot point, because it's destruction is inevitable. The real story is about the people and that wraps up nicely at the end.

F*c k that.

Ya, let us
forget that NEW YORK CITY was just ass-raped by some seemingly unstoppable monster from hell who was last seen still alive and kicking and striking down a military helicopter
and be content with
the movie ending with the 99.9% chance that the main characters died in a nuke attack which we assume was succesful.

No way Jose.

Part Deux baby!!! Twice the monster, twice the motion sickness!

BTW, spoiler: (The monster)
6kopme1.jpg

Apharmd

idahoblue said:
Ok, I thought it was a good movie, not great, but solid. I have been following the ARG pretty closely and can honestly say it did not add much to the experience. It was nice to have a bit of the backstory, but it mostly relates to the characters, not the monster.

I thought the acting dialogue was ok, people would not really give speeches in a situation like that. Also the actors were not completely aware of an particular scenes significance, apparently they were working with severely limited scripts, so think they did well with that.

The monster design struck me as more alien than aquatic, I don't really know how to explain that other than the lack of aquatic features (web feet etc.)

I don't think it was a nuke, there was one explosion, then you heard them speaking briefly, then another explosion. I think maybe it was some sort of Fuel/Air bomb. Could be wrong though.

I thought the cheek bubbles made it fairly aquatic...and i don't think it had any eyes, and the head reminds me in general of deep sea fishes. freaky deep sea fishes. off that thread a few days ago (yesterday?)

sefskillz

idahoblue said:
i could be wrong too as im not so up on my nuclear bomb knowledge, but i took the first blast to be the initial shockwave from the blast, then the pause and then i don't remember a second blast, just the intense wave of heat and radiation the atomic bomb sends out from ground zero. pretty sure that's what got them

Dead Man

Apharmd said:
I thought the cheek bubbles made it fairly aquatic...and i don't think it had any eyes, and the head reminds me in general of deep sea fishes. freaky deep sea fishes. off that thread a few days ago (yesterday?)

Ok, I'll buy that, but why 4 main appendages with hands/feet if it is a deep sea creature. Walking is not a very efficient way to get around in the ocean. I'm pretty sure it had eyes as well. Spoiler image link: http://i13.tinypic.com/6wpalx5.jpg But that head looked like it could be off one of those fish.

sefskillz said:
i could be wrong too as im not so up on my nuclear bomb knowledge, but i took the first blast to be the initial shockwave from the blast, then the pause and then i don't remember a second blast, just the intense wave of heat and radiation the atomic bomb sends out from ground zero. pretty sure that's what got them

You could be right, my knowledge on the subject is pretty sketchy.

Edit:
ImperialConquest said:
BTW, spoiler: (The monster)
LOL. Nice one.

Bebpo

Banned
I thought the monster looked like a giant human really. Just one with a
tail, extra appendages, and who walked on all fours. But standing up straight it just looked like a giant titan or something

Momar

aka Ryder
jordan0386 said:
8/10

The one soldier who was basically gutted, fuckin' A right there

I didn't hear this myself, but
my friend said he heard someone say "another bite" as they rolled that dude away, so I'm guessing he blowed up Marlena style :(

birdman

sefskillz said:

How did the Department of Defense recover the tape then? I would imagine the tape, including the camera itself, would have been vaporized from a nuclear bomb.

Dead

well not really...yet
Saw it not too long ago.

Fucking intense, awesome experience. Wish it was a bit longer, but the pacing was excellent as it was.

Though I thought
Seeing all the monster in daylight at the end was a bit unecessary

My favorite part had to be when
Rob and co. were in the helicopter and you could see the monster being blasted, and later lunges at it.
Holy shit. Funniest part was Hud talking about the flaming hobo in the subway :lol

I think a sequel is probably inevitable. Wonder how they will go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom