• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I thought it was interesting, but then again I know what angle the film was going for. I can understand people being disappointed who wanted your standard 'by the numbers' monster movie (explanation, etc.).

I've never really understood paying for a movie you know very little about, though.

border said:
The movie is supposed to replicate the experience of being a helpless bystander to a massive tragedy/emergency. It isn't supposed to have some scientist explaining everything. The tension comes from not knowing.
Pretty much. This isn't like Lost where a scientist can come and explain everything.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
As someone who had already known most of what was happening, and just now getting back from actually seeing it...

I can't even pretend to act like a movie snob, with the whole "baaah, this particular thing sucked the life out of the rest of the movie.."

It rocked. Adrenaline pumping suspense, like I've rarely felt. The last bit when they are
trying to get to the heli, with Monster in tow, all the way to the crash and wake up, HEART WAS PUMPING OVERTIME. With the perfect "calm scene" being the "pan up and see monster CHOOOOOOOMP."

I recommend it to anyone unless they know they have motion sickness problems. I can actually agree that parts of this movie is alot "shakier" than the shakiest (word???) parts of Blair Witch.

Oh, and
Something does crash into the water at the end in the flashback. Very Small, but it is there. No actual clue what it is, the monster or perhaps the "AFG" mentioned satellite.

Phoenix

Bebpo said:
Also stop saying "second movie" please people. A sequel would be TERRIBLY UNWANTED

I agree with this general sentiment. The only reason to do another film would be to take some of the mystery out and try to bring about some happy ending conclusion where the creature is killed or something, or doing some jack ass thing like trying to explain the force. WHile a similar film could be done in another area of the country or whatever - is there really any point. As I said in my mega review, traditional audiences like everything wrapped up in a pretty little package with a nice ending. Its what audiences have come to expect and is a reason why TV episodes in general wrap up at the end with no real story continuity.

It was a great experience, we don't need answers - lets move on to something else.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just got back. I liked it a lot, but I didn't LOOOOVE it or anything. I liked the premise, with the found footage and all that - was really well done. I just didn't like any of the characters, which made it hard for me to be as emotionally involved as I could have been.

I can finally read this topic again :D :D

Edit: Also, it's very short, at 75 minutes.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I personally just want to spend more time with the style. It's so refreshing and using it in any other type of film would just not be the same. It was so perfectly crafted here, I just want more, and there's room to give more

Crushed said:
Uh, yes. Read an article or two about it first if you're planning on seeing it.
That doesn't even make sense. If you walk into a movie and the movie doesn't explain it to you, why would that make anyone an ignorant consumer? :/

Phoenix

Crab Shaker said:
Dude this movie was fucking awesome. I loved it, though at first I was getting a little dizzy.

Yeah the early movie was very shaky and seemed to almost be suffering from frame rate/refresh problems but this resolved itself pretty soon into the movie as to not become a distraction.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I actually loved the movie. From start to finish it was awesome. Beth was hot, too. So was that one dude's chick. She actually lived, right? Since she got on the first chopper?

I actually jumped when the thing
jumped from the smoke at the helicopter, which is pathetic cuz I knew that a helicopter got shot down, too
. but damn, that thing lunged and I was like "SHIT!" :lol

Just loved the movie. Glad I knew about the shakycam-ness ahead of time, too, cuz I sat in like the third-to-back row. I feel bad for anyone sitting closer, and as such I don't know if I'd even consider the DVD

LowParry

topsyturvy said:
That doesn't even make sense. If you walk into a movie and the movie doesn't explain it to you, why would that make anyone an ignorant consumer? :/

If you're one of the people who saw the trailer, what's the very thing they want to see in this movie? And they got it. If they were expecting something else out of this, they set themself up for failure.

border

The only way this movie could have been better was if in the military hospital there was a still-pregnant Juno lying on a stretcher with a nasty bite. She says, "Oh this is just like the films of horror master Dario Argento" moments before she explodes...

Phenomenal movie, idk how you can say you don't like any of the characters, Hud is the man. And you really respect Rob by the end of it. Best movie i've seen in a long time.

Good blockbusters that aren't typical blockbusters are becoming too rare.

Belfast

topsyturvy said:

The movie explains everything you NEED to know.

CcrooK said:
If you're one of the people who saw the trailer, what's the very thing they want to see in this movie? And they got it. If they were expecting something else out of this, they set themself up for failure.
come on, they market this film as a "monster-running-rampant in new york city popcorn flick". Not until recently that they switch gears into "who would you save" campaign. :/

Belfast said:
The movie explains everything you NEED to know.
This isn't why i disliked the movie, i'm just replying to the other poster why he would expect something he didn't get within the movie.

topsyturvy said:
come on, they market this film as a "monster-running-rampant in new york city popcorn flick". Not until recently that they switch gears into "who would you save" campaign. :/

the advertisement has been very vague the entire time i thought.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
topsyturvy said:
The very first teaser didn't even show a glimpse of the monster.

It was always shown to be a grounds-eye view from a video camera. Anyone who could think for a second would realize that the movie could not be a traditional monster movie.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'd also like to go on record and say
the government didn't flat out nuke NY. They did bring in the big time bombs though. One hit close, messed up the camera with debris covering it up, you could hear Rob and Beth almost say "last goodbyes" ("I love you" "I love you too") and another one hits much closer, that royally screws up the camera, goes back to the flashback. And the bit at the end, I have to assume is Rob, barely alive, last words, can see "it's still alive" but the camera's recording is so screwed up, it's "backwards."

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
the advertisement has been very vague the entire time i thought.
Crushed said:
The very first teaser didn't even show a glimpse of the monster.

It was always shown to be a grounds-eye view from a video camera. Anyone who could think for a second would realize that the movie could not be a traditional monster movie.

I don't think i met anyone that didn't describe the movie as a monster flick.

ant1532

Banned
Bebpo said:
I wonder if I was the only one who thought the party scene was well done. I was enjoying the movie so much during that scene I honestly wouldn't have cared if the monster ever showed up. The comments were fun and the way everyone's stories interplayed in the background of this guy walking around felt very fresh and fun.

Like I said a page or two back, I thought the movie was enjoyable for every minute of its running time.

Also stop saying "second movie" please people. A sequel would be TERRIBLY UNWANTED
Agree with you completely on the party scene, loved it.

But i don't know about no sequel. I mean imagine the story through someones perspective on the tanker ship that cap sized and sees the monster come out the water who escapes on a raft or something, and you learn more about the monster. But I can see why you like the way it is and leave it mysterious.

EBCubs03

Banned
Ultimately it felt like half a movie. Dialogue was pretty sparse, nothing really original about it except for the wonky, annoying camera.

Still, entertained me.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sequel could always be Cloverfield vs some other monster

I liked the party scene too, especially when tehy were playing Gorillaz :)

ant1532 said:
But i don't know about no sequel. I mean imagine the story through someones perspective on the tanker ship that cap sized and sees the monster come out the water who escapes on a raft or something, and you learn more about the monster. But I can see why you like the way it is and leave it mysterious.

It blew up!

Deku

Banned
I like it. I think the best parts were when things started to happen up to the point where we started to see a lot of close ups of the 'creature'. I think the film could have milked that a bit more.

The 'Roar!' Cloverfield Overture was very nice at the end. I don't know why but it reminds me exactly of a Godzilla score from the old school.

Ecrofirt

Just got back from the movie. I enjoyed the flick a lot, but holy fuck did I get motion sick in the beginning.

Anyone know if there are screenshots / video of this ferris wheel scene?

Dead Man

Phoenix said:
I agree with this general sentiment. The only reason to do another film would be to take some of the mystery out and try to bring about some happy ending conclusion where the creature is killed or something, or doing some jack ass thing like trying to explain the force. WHile a similar film could be done in another area of the country or whatever - is there really any point. As I said in my mega review, traditional audiences like everything wrapped up in a pretty little package with a nice ending. Its what audiences have come to expect and is a reason why TV episodes in general wrap up at the end with no real story continuity.

It was a great experience, we don't need answers - lets move on to something else.

I think a sequel could work if it was in another 'non Hollywood' style. Maybe a documentary set 5 years after which references the 'cloverfield recordings'. Maybe the briefing that follows the first viewing by the military of the tape. Maybe have the backstory done as a loosely linked regular movie. I don't know, but I think it could be done effectively.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Only one word can really sum up this movie....

and that word is

"awesome"

Prince of Space said:
I saw it! It's awesome! It's gonna be HUGE!

EviLore said:
, who gives a shit about those things? Fucking spectacular, awesome, intense, thrilling, grand fucking slam film.

Bebpo said:
awesome fucking wowsome

Dead said:
Fucking intense, awesome experience.

Mojovonio said:
it was pretty awesome.

MickeyKnox said:
Got back from seeing this earlier tonight and it was fucking awesome.

Go see this movie.

These posts are teh winnerz

Phaethon0017 said:
Anyone know where the end credits theme can be purchased? It was awesome. Reminded me of an old Godzilla movie.

zuh? you mean silence?

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
this movie was awesome. it was executed very well and i'm glad it was directed the way it was. if this movie was shot like a normal film, it most likely would have been terrible. but since it was shot from personal cameras it gave the movie more of real feel and you were involved with the events more.

the monster looked great... creative and not just any copycat of other movie monsters.

the ending was excellent...
i'm glad everyone died, and the final moments were done great

question to those who stayed after the credits.
you hear someone whispering something at the end, anyone catch what was said? i couldn't make it out

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Entwain said:
Its when they are on the ferris wheel, look to the right where the cruise ship is going across and you'll see something shoot down from the sky into the ocean.
I was the only one in my group to notice this. As I was asking them about it when we were leaving the theater, I was beginning to convince myself that I was seeing things.

Good to hear that I'm not crazy.

Deku

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
These posts are teh winnerz

zuh? you mean silence?

No I just posted the title... it's titled 'Roar!' cloverfield overture. And looks like I'm not the only one who got the Godzilla vibe. It's a nice orchestral piece.

you hear someone whispering something at the end, anyone catch what was said? i couldn't make it out

Yeah I heard it too. probably something for the home video release to tease out.

Has anyone managed to get a picture or clip of the thing that crashes in the ocean at the end?

I missed it.

Also, I had a great time. The tunnel scenes were the most intense.

Bebpo

Banned
Hey, I have a question:

Why for the early stuff you have a date/time stamp in the bottom left corner but then it totally is gone for the rest of the movie being filmed? Did the main camera holder turn the stamp off at some point or something?

Deku

Banned
Bebpo said:
Hey, I have a question:

Why for the early stuff you have a date/time stamp in the bottom left corner but then it totally is gone for the rest of the movie being filmed? Did the main camera holder turn the stamp off at some point or something?

Possibly, the video was presented in edited form by the US DOD so a lot may have already been cut out.

The practical issue of course is a timestamp would probably be too distracting for an entire movie, but we have to assume it was turned off and to its only there set the 'flashbacks' in context.

DustinC

Absolutely loved this. Really intense from the initial attack on, and it doesn't really let up for the whole movie.

Favorite scenes:
The bridge collapse, getting caught between the army and the monster (when that rocket flies overhead!), the entire subway sequence (Rob on the phone with his mom :( ), the leaning apartment building, the helicoptor "escape" sequence, and a ton of other stuff I'm too tired to remember.

There is no question this is going to receive a sequel. It will likely do 30 million opening weekend, perhaps more. I know a lot of you don't want one, but that shit is inevitable.

aparisi2274

SofaKing said:

Its Still Alive
and I think Rob said it

SOOOOO AWESOME OOH MY GOOOOD

I want a figure of that monster so I can have it beat the shit out of all my Godzilla toys. :lol :lol

Also people who complain about HUD (hahahaha, such a perfect name for the camera-man - HEADS-UP DISPLAY) cracking jokes need to shut the fuck up. It's called coping with stress through humor. It's ok for Spider-Man to be a smart ass when he's fighting a bad guy, or John McClain to spout one-liners while surfing a fucking truck through a giant pipe, but not for some Joe Nobody to do it when faced with such a fucking insane experience? Hud even says himself, if he doesn't talk about something he's going to shit his pants.

Deku said:
No I just posted the title... it's titled 'Roar!' cloverfield overture. And looks like I'm not the only one who got the Godzilla vibe. It's a nice orchestral piece.

so this played as the credits rolled at the end?

that's wierd cause at the credits for the movie i saw, it was dead silence....as if that was the end of the tape.

Deku

Banned
Absinthe said:
There is no question this is going to receive a sequel. It will likely do 30 million opening weekend, perhaps more. I know a lot of you don't want one, but that shit is inevitable.

Yeah, well I'm not sure how a sequel is going to work. The shaky cam is a gimmick that will probably wear pretty thin in a 2nd full length feature, unless they can figure out a way to do this.

Also with the entire cast wiped out, a sequel might also outright suck, not that it has stopped studios before even with much smaller hits (ie: 28 days later)

Fixed2BeBroken said:

that's wierd cause at the credits for the movie i saw, it was dead silence....as if that was the end of the tape.

'Roar!' was the credits theme and is the only orchestrated 'original' music that I can remember from the movie. If it's silence then they probably cut out the sound and you got gyped.

Bebpo

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Its Still Alive
and I think Rob said it

I think the majority opinion is that a radio said it or something.
I have a hard time believing either of the two could have survived

Fixed2BeBroken said:

Yeah, I sat for the first few mins of the credits and it was completely silent...so I left.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
You guys. The entire cast wasn't wiped out.
That one chick got on the helicopter separated from the rest of them. That helicopter made it out, iirc.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
aparisi2274 said:
Its Still Alive
and I think Rob said it

hmmm... interesting.
makes me wondering if possibly he and/or her survived, but i'd rather if nobody survived.

whytemyke said:
You guys. The entire cast wasn't wiped out.
That one chick got on the helicopter separated from the rest of them. That helicopter made it out, iirc.

thats not certain, her helicopter could have been taken down too but who knows.
. only JJ can give us the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom