• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMan121

Funniest part was Hud talking about teh flaming hobo in the subway
I think a sequel is probably inevitable. Wonder how they will go about it.

Hud carried the movie in pretty much every scene not involving the monster
s
. As for the sequel? Dunno, not in the same lost archive type style atleast.

I don't really want a sequel, honestly. Movie was awesome, but it would just kinda be stupid to have another movie focusing on the same idea (that is, unless they use some new innovative way to make the movie as exciting as Cloverfield was).

Have not seen the movie, but I really didn't feel like waiting to see it to spoil it for myself.

If they did nuke, the characters live. I recorded the end voices from that imageshack link and then played it backwards. The voice says "still alive"

Bebpo

Banned
A sequel would be fucking stupid.

The film works because it's a closed compact concept (yay for Cs). They went in with an idea, did it, and it's self-conclusive. No need for anything else to add to the story.

The most depressing part of the movie
was when the girl exploded :( She was cute and saved the camera guy. Was sad to see her blow up horribly. I wasn't really sure if they were trying to imply that like Aliens newborn monsters birthed out of the chests or if the poison in the bites somehow caused chests to explode (which uh...doesn't make a lot of sense).

Also my main issue with believability/realism is that
despite the thing being HUGE and causing earthquake level of tremors with every step it took. People sure seemed to lose track of it and it sure seemed to move around a lot stealthly.

I can kinda believe the bridge part because even if it was making a lot of tremors while moving through the ocean, everyone was screaming and running and might not have noticed and the government who should have been tracking it probably would thought "fuck it" instead of telling the bridge people it was coming, since there was nothing they could do anyways at that point with so many people on the bridge.

When I couldn't believe was how they just backed into it and the end. Like even if they didn't look in that direction at all the entire time leaving the chopper (which seems unlikely) you'd think it would have enough of a smell, sound, etc... that they'd notice it was STANDING RIGHT THERE.

So yeah, I think they could've made it a bit more believable. Also rob and his gf played across to fairytale like too fit in the realistic approach it was taking.

snack said:
The movie isn't about the monster. It's about the people trying to survive the monster. THe monster would eventually be defeated by the military at some point, so whether that happened in the final bombing is a moot point, because it's destruction is inevitable. The real story is about the people and that wraps up nicely at the end.

right there is the problem, I didn't buy none of the characters for shit. Seriously, The decisions and stuff they talk about doing the same time a gigantic titan monster thats destroying the city was cheesy and laughable at best. I don't know how many times i roll the shit out of my eyes. Also, the deliberate lack of filming of the monster was to keep suspense high of the monster and force us to look and listen to this shitty phony mid 20s-myspace-esque type lives these characters suppose to have.

It was pretty fucking bad when you're sitting there and hoping for something different and fresh and all you get in return was the hills set in a high budget godzilla movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
Did anyone get the feeling that there were two monsters?

I swear earlier in the movie when we see it, the Monsters head was more beakish, while at the end it was much more flat, or human.

Maybe it was a continuity mistake, but I clearly remember two different faces.

Bebpo

Banned
Dead said:

I swear earlier in the movie when we see it, the Monsters head was more beakish, while at the end it was much more flat, or human.

When it ran at them before they got trapped in the subway it looked like a T-rex

I agree the design seemed like it kept changing each time you saw it. Was sorta weird.

Dead said:

IMO, the mouth opens funny. But it is one monster, with brothers and sisters. "(

jordan0386 said:
They made one decision, go back for their friend. That is the whole movie right there!
isn't that the typical horror movie cliche where they do something stupid no one in real life would do? Seriously, thats fucking stupid.

"hey, i got a smart idea, lets go save my friend in the middle of the city where the giant titan is demolishing buildings."

People do not do this for a girl. Family member would be acceptable

But this isn't why i disliked the film.

Bebpo

Banned
topsyturvy said:
isn't that the typical horror movie cliche where they do something stupid no one in real life would do? Seriously, thats fucking stupid.

Maybe he's just more of a man than most people.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bebpo said:
When it ran at them before they got trapped in the subway it looked like a T-rex

I agree the design seemed like it kept changing each time you saw it. Was sorta weird.
Yeah. You see it's head full on and I swear it has some kind of huge beak that opens 3-4 ways, yet at the end it's a flat face.

topsyturvy said:

I think I would go back for my mom. Kinda sad that I said "think". lol, smh.

Dont force yourself to dislike it though.

Belfast

topsyturvy said:
"hey, i got a smart idea, lets go save my friend in the middle of the city where the giant titan is demolishing buildings."

People do not fucking do this for a girl, especially because of a myspace reply. (i could be wrong, The theatre's grunting noise overshadowed my hearing.)

And what kind of movie would it be if they didn't?

"Hey, let's sit in one room for an hour and a half until we die!"

Crushed

Fry Daddy
topsyturvy said:

People do not fucking do this for a girl, especially because of a myspace reply. (i could be wrong, The theatre's grunting noise overshadowed my hearing.)
You know, it's really easy to criticize people's actions when you're sitting in a theater and saying "MAN FOO I'D BE SMARTER THAN THAT WHAT THEY THINKIN"

It's like reading people's impressions from that Left 4 Dead game where you and three other guys fight to get through a zombie outbreak. The test players found themselves doing all the stupid shit that they laughed at zombie movie victims for doing, like walking off on their own or turning their backs or not checking a room first.

Moral of the story: a giant fucking monster attack changes the way people act in a lot of ways. :lol

Belfast said:
And what kind of movie would it be if they didn't?

"Hey, let's sit in one room for an hour and a half until we die!"
so they go back into the carnage to save someone, risking their own lives in the process?

Duderz

Banned
Loved everything about it - those worried about how short it is really shouldn't, as the film gets its point across just fine.

Snaku

Banned
I enjoyed the movie immensely. The monster was terrifying, and actually felt like a very real threat. No running away from the military & hiding for this guy. :lol I also felt the Cloverfield Overture, "Roar!," invoked the spirit of Ifukube which pleased me to no end.

Don't really have much else to say at this point. It is what it is.

Belfast

topsyturvy said:
so they go back into the carnage to save someone, risking their own lives in the process?

It's not like there was an easy way to get out of the city at that point anyway. What's the problem? It keeps the plot moving along, and whether you like it or not, keeps the movie interesting.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with the Myspace comment.

ParticleReality said:
OH SHIT I UNDERSTAND IT ALL NOW. LOST TAKES PLACE INSIDE THE MONSTER, ITS ALL SO CLEAR.

godzilla_3.jpg

BUILDING HUMP!!!!!
:lol That picture is funny and disturbing at the same time.

KBox

Wow. Probably one of the most intense movie experiences of my entire life. The movie owned.
JJ Abrams... well done.

DaMan121

topsyturvy said:

Honestly, the only thing I didn't find convincing, or they did a poor job of, is why Marlena tagged along.
Hud was Rob's best friend and well, he was pretty much presented as a follower and did pretty much what Rob or his brother said. Lily felt close to Rob in a sibling kind of way, so after the death of Rob she felt they needed to stay together, so as far as those 2 going along with Rob made sense.

Shapingo

Can someone tell me after the helicopter crash
How does a 40+ story monster just sneak up on them. Really.......they didn't see it until it was right over them.....like it was hiding behind a tree. The ground shook every time it took a step, but not at the park, as it was just there as Hud runs back to get the camera. And weren't Beth and Rob only like 20 feet away?

sorry to rant

Shapingo said:
Can someone tell me after the helicopter crash
How does a 40+ story monster just sneak up on them. Really.......they didn't see it until it was right over them.....like it was hiding behind a tree. The ground shook every time it took a step, but not at the park, as it was just there as Hud runs back to get the camera. And weren't Beth and Rob only like 20 feet away?

sorry to rant

Well, they did just crawl out of a horrible chopper crash, one would imagine that is probably quite a disorienting experience.

aparisi2274

Just got back. Fuckin loved it... Of course I had the idiot kids in my showing bitching at the end of the movie...

Anyway, the movie rocked. The "cam" style filming made it very edge of your seat style action, like I felt I was right there with them.

I did feel bad for Marlena, and I think the reason she tagged along was because where else was she gonna go? She was stuck outside when the big cloud of smoke rolled down the street in the building... She saw it eat people... What were they going to do? Just leave her?

Anyway, great movie... wish there was little backstory on the monster. Was it a sea creature of some sort? Some kind of Alien being??

Who knows!!!

Phoenix

Saw this one earlier today. I liked the cinematic way in which it was filmed as a documentary. Early in the film when people were trying to use the camera I was a little worried because it felt as though they actually planned to film the entire movie in shakeycam - but thankfully that subsided. It was interesting how the camera itself was almost like an RPG character in the movie in that it seemed to level up and get new abilities over time, and how the camera had its own story 'detached' from the main story. I definitely appreciated the way it was filmed.

The movie itself was a *somewhat* believable experience and it definitely kept my interest - but there were definitely other people in my theater who didn't like it, and there were actually a few that boo'd the film when it ended - and because of the way that it was done I can certainly understand some of the complaints - it definitely wasn't "Hollywood". I will say that the movie suffered from SPS (stupid people syndrome) and it did so to an extent that was really pushing it. Are there people out there that stupid to have the desires of the main characters under duress - certainly, but that doesn't make it easier to watch than a B-grade horror where you're telling people "you fucking idiot!".

The effects for the most part appeared to blend well into the actual action though many of the close up creature shots just seemed to not work well. They felt out of place and 'yeah that's CG'. The other 'minis' worked quite well from a CG perspective.

I'm sure one of the major complaints of a typical audience will be that the movie at no point tried to explain -ANYTHING. I like movies like this because it makes the audience a more invested participant in the experience - you don't know jack more than the characters in the film so you never know what to expect. In fact at the end of the movie you can only make a shitload of assumptions about what happened 'next' or why it happened. Hell given the events of the film I can only assume that they had to nuke the creature to kill it given the shit they were throwing at it yet having 'ass-all' results against it.

The creature design of the 'big boss' was strange though somewhat typical. In fact early in the film there was a point where there is a lot thud on the film (background noise) and I assumed at that point that this was the point in which the creature 'arrived', but is no evidence to support that (one of the reason I like these sorts of things). There weren't many concepts to it that were considerably alien or unexpected for a traditional audience. In that respect I was somewhat typical because they went through such effort to hide the creature design for so long and I felt let down that it was so easily comprehendible at the end. The mini's didn't seem to have much in the way of purpose really and their 'bite' special attack seemed to be somewhat pointless at the end of the day.

Overall I did really like this movie, but see it as a love it or hate it type of movie. I think there is a large possibility that many audiences will be very split on it because the film from beginning to end through the way it is filmed (in its Blair Witch Project perspective) is not common and many people won't be able to deal with it. Overall I would say that its a 4/5. THe movie is by no means perfect - much of the 'intention' of some of the characters to be is so unbelievable as to cost it a point and its untraditional aspects will make it difficult for some to walk away from the film liking it. But I do think its a goodie, but not really the sort of thing that you'd want to watch 4-50 times over.

J.J. Abrams - show me what you got for Star Trek. I'm genuinely interested now :)

Phoenix said:
I'm sure one of the major complaints of a typical audience will be that the movie at no point tried to explain -ANYTHING. I like movies like this because it makes the audience a more invested participant in the experience - you don't know jack more than the characters in the film so you never know what to expect. In fact at the end of the movie you can only make a shitload of assumptions about what happened 'next' or why it happened. Hell given the events of the film I can only assume that they had to nuke the creature to kill it given the shit they were throwing at it yet having 'ass-all' results against it.

Yeah but the monster wasn't the main character, you know?

Saw it, and for me it lived up to my expectations. I loved it.

Anybody else see that thing crash into the ocean in the last scene?

Pikelet

I thought it was OK. I didn't like the characters much, i didn't think Hud was very funny and im not a fan of shakeycam but some of the set-pieces were fantastic.
Some scenes such as when they are crossing between the two buildings just nailed the experience of being hundreds of feet above ground with little supporting you and the visceral feel of the planes zooming past. In fact the sound effects were probably my favorite part of the movie, with the huge bass of the monsters footsteps or the distinctive sound the crawly-things made. My main concerns with the film was with the overly long intro and the amount of deaths. They spend quite a while setting up a relationship between Hud and that cute chick and then she explodes. Sure it was surprising in that it broke storytelling conventions, but that seems to be the only effect it had on me. Also, the next person to put storytelling shit in the credits needs to be shot, it is overused, annoying and a complete waste of time.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I really do wonder if there is more than one monster. Did they ever say there was just one? That would make for a good "Oh shit" moment in the sequel.

Really, the more I think about it, the more impressed I am with this film. Took some chances and really nailed them.

Yeah, that was great! Most intense movie I've seen in a loooong time. I do miss not having everything explained, but the thrills were there.

I barely missed
seeing something crash into the ocean when Beth and Rob were on the ferris wheel.
But I need to see it again anyway.

Sequel please.

Phoenix

Costanza said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

FOX News just said Cloverfield reenacts 9/11

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The folks at Fox news are all tools, but during 9/11 I was working at CNN and during and post I saw a lot of footage of the area and if you had, many of the components of it would look like 9/11 footage from the way they dealt with dust to the way paper was falling. So in a way I can see how they got to that point - it doesn't re-enact it, but anyone who watched a considerable amount of 9/11 footage would find it 'familiar' in feel.

SpeedingUptoStop

Bog said:
Did the brother's girlfriend's chopper get smashed?
Oh shit, I forgot. I loved that psyche out. Me and all my friends were going "oh she is fucking done. BYE BYE!". It was almost certain she was gonna get fucked...then convention got flipped.:D

This seems to be becoming a love it/hate it kind of movie, which is strange considering I thought it was just "okay".

I don't regret watching it, but I didn't love it either.

SpeedingUptoStop

JzeroT1437 said:
This seems to be becoming a love it/hate it kind of movie, which is strange considering I thought it was just "okay".

I don't regret watching it, but I didn't love it either.
There was definitely some room for improvement, but as a first time kind of deal, they excelled at a lot of things they really didn't need to and I just gotta give'em props for it.

Firestorm

I want that camcorder with its amazing battery life.

Is the ending on YouTube or something? I want to see this
falling into the water thing
. I told my friend he was seeing things but apparently he wasn't!

jax (old)

Banned
Firestorm said:
I want that camcorder with its amazing battery life.

Is the ending on YouTube or something? I want to see this
falling into the water thing
. I told my friend he was seeing things but apparently he wasn't!

your camcorder can't do 70 minutes? what?

It is a self-indulgent, shallow piece of filmmaking. I also think Abrams has been exposed as an even bigger tool. Showing the audience something novel or weird (like a polar bear on an island or giant alien destroying the city), giving them vague details, and then leaving the audience with more questions is his method. He does that shit intentionally and the audience often searches high and low for a meaning and answers that just aren't there.

My main problem with the movie is I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. A bunch of loud yuppies screaming at the top of their lungs really didn't compel me to give a shit. It doesn't help that the party scene was insufferable.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
liked it a lot. the negative reaction in my theater was way intense, though--people's expectations were clearly out of wack

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Absinthe said:
It is a self-indulgent, shallow piece of filmmaking. I also think Abrams has been exposed as an even bigger tool. Showing the audience something novel or weird (like a polar bear on an island or giant alien destroying the city), giving them vague details, and then leaving the audience with more questions is his method. He does that shit intentionally and the audience often searches high and low for a meaning and answers that just aren't there.

My main problem with the movie is I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. A bunch of loud yuppies screaming at the top of their lungs really didn't compel me to give a shit. It doesn't help that the party scene was insufferable.
monocle.gif

SpeedingUptoStop

Absinthe said:

HUH.gif

I can understand if you didn't care for the characters but....that was a perfectly normal party...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom