• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Yeah, something at the bottom of the ocean would have to stand up to hundreds of atmospheres of pressure. It at least kind-of makes sense that bombs wouldn't hurt it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I kinda understand where he is coming from. Look at Godzilla, after a while it showed some signs of being hurt, instead of walking around like it had god mode turned on. I didn't really mind much, seeing as though this was more so about the characters than the monster.

Blablurn

Buttonbasher said:
Not really plush, but:

80bd_3.JPG

how cute ;_;

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Oldschoolgamer said:
I kinda understand where he is coming from. Look at Godzilla, after a while it showed some signs of being hurt, instead of walking around like it had god mode turned on. I didn't really mind much, seeing as though this was more so about the characters than the monster.
Clover was constantly screaming and yelping in pain whenever it got shot or bombed.

border

If you don't think the monster looked like it was getting its ass handed to it when they were in the helicopter, then watch again...

Rayven

aka surume
fistfulofmetal said:
ADAPTATION OF THE DARK TOWER SERIES?

WAT

Fuck. I need to finish book 5, 6 and 7 before that happens.
If you stop after 4 or 5, you will be happy. The series has a terrible ending.
5 is ok, but in the last 2 books King mangles the universe he spent 30 years creating just to finish it.

He turns the main baddies in his entire literary world (RF and CK) into morons.

The DVD is supposedly coming out on April 22 according to this thread: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24546

Also an interview from the creature designer: http://io9.com/357856/io9-talks-to-cloverfield-monster-designer-neville-page

Slusho Commercial Contest winners got these awesome Slusho Laptops:
Slusho+Laptop%21+028.jpg

And finally fans are making a game. Looks to be a mod. The first video they made has some crazy animation but the models of the monster look pretty good.
http://cloverfieldgame.com/

Blablurn

Buttonbasher said:
The DVD is supposedly coming out on April 22 according to this thread: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24546

Also an interview from the creature designer: http://io9.com/357856/io9-talks-to-cloverfield-monster-designer-neville-page

Slusho Commercial Contest winners got these awesome Slusho Laptops:
Slusho+Laptop%21+028.jpg

And finally fans are making a game. Looks to be a mod. The first video they made has some crazy animation but the models of the monster look pretty good.
http://cloverfieldgame.com/

Hopefully we'll also get a Blu Ray Version of Cloverfield!

batbeg

HeartAttackJones said:
5 is ok, but in the last 2 books King mangles the universe he spent 30 years creating just to finish it.

The general direction is absolutely horrible, but in the very end I don't think it could've ended in any other way really. It kind of worked, but sucked.

AND OMG ADAPTATION WHAT WHY WON'T THIS VIDEO LOAD FOR ME?!?!

B.K.

Blablurn said:
wow, first cloverfield - then MGS4. This week is going to be awsome!

June is going to be a great month. Cloverfield on the 9th, Metal Gear Solid 4 on the 12th and Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs on the 24th.

I really feel that this was one of the best films to come out in awhile.

A lot of people seem to think that a film in this genre can't be considered great. I really disagree with that, but even if we accept this premise, Cloverfield was really fucking good relative to its genre.

I made a whole other thread about why I felt that Cloverfield is a classic. Years from now, this film will be remembered a whole lot more fondly than There Will Be Blood, and I don't care who calls me out for that statement.

B.K. said:
June is going to be a great month. Cloverfield on the 9th, Metal Gear Solid 4 on the 12th and Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs on the 24th.
Ninja Gaiden 2 is also coming out around then. Not sure if you have a 360, but if you do, that game is a must own.

Green Shinobi said:
Years from now, this film will be remembered a whole lot more fondly than There Will Be Blood, and I don't care who calls me out for that statement.
I loved Cloverfield, but this is a bit crazy. And they're geared for completely different audiences anyhow. I bet you'll find many people years from now that look more favorably on Transformers than TWBB.

LowParry

B.K. said:

Shit, you serious? MGS4, NG2, SC4, Cloverfield, Futurama, Warhammer Online (maybe). FFS. I'm so screwed with money that month.

CajoleJuice said:
I loved Cloverfield, but this is a bit crazy.
While I will praise the artistic merits of TWBB to no end, I can't imagine watching it again more than once every few years. It's just incredibly tedious.

Rewatchability should be given some weight when ranking films.

Just so you know, some of my favorite films are The Godfather, Scarface and The Seven Samurai, so I don't normally have trouble with long movies. The Godfather is my favorite of all time, actually.

HeartAttackJones said:

I can't just stop. If it sucks, then it sucks. But I have to see how it all ends.

I edited, by the way.

As for rewatchability, I don't even know why I buy DVDs. I almost never watch DVDs again, except if I'm with friends and we all want to watch one, or if a friend hasn't seen it.

I only watch a handful of movies over and over again if I catch them on TV.

CajoleJuice said:
I edited, by the way.

As for rewatchability, I don't even know why I buy DVDs. I almost never watch DVDs again, except if I'm with friends and we all want to watch one, or if a friend hasn't seen it.

It's probably the idea of owning a tangible version of something you think highly of.

CajoleJuice said:
I edited, by the way.

I have a few movies that I can watch over and over again. Most Scorcese films, The Godfather, most Cameron films, most Hitchcock, most Coen Bros and some others.

You don't have any movies that you just get a craving to rewatch maybe once or twice a year?

B.K.

CajoleJuice said:

I usually just buy DVDs of things I know I won't be able to see on tv, like some anime or old tv shows I like or if I want to support a series, like Futurama. I bought the first Futurama movie and I'll buy the next three too, even if I only watch them once.

Green Shinobi said:
I have a few movies that I can watch over and over again. Most Scorcese films, The Godfather, most Cameron films, most Hitchcock, most Coen Bros and some others.

You don't have any movies that you just get a craving to rewatch maybe once or twice a year?
No, not really. Most of the time, I just decide to play games, read or waste time on here instead. Even Die Hard 1 and 3, I just watch whenever I see them on FMC. That does seem to be a very common occurrence, though. :lol

I do watch comedy TV shows repeatedly on DVD though. But once again, that's usually to show my friends.

Official DVD info:

dvd-1.jpg

cloverfieldbackix9.jpg

Word has it that the Making of is around 50 minutes long.

Includes Deleted scenes: Congrats Rob, When You're in Japan, I Call That a Date, It's Going to Hurt, Alt Ending #1, Alt Ending #2

And Easter Eggs:

Easter Egg: Slusho!
Easter Egg: Person of Interest -
JLVD 2
JLVD 5
JLVD 9
JLVD 11
Easter Egg: Rack 'Em & Pack 'Em
Easter Egg: Fighting the X

Order now! Wal-Mart, Amazon (Not available yet).

April 22 for the Normal DVD Release. No word of an HD release yet... Or a Special Edition for that matter. But these things like to release right after you buy the first one.

jet1911

border said:
Yeah, something at the bottom of the ocean would have to stand up to hundreds of atmospheres of pressure. It at least kind-of makes sense that bombs wouldn't hurt it.

Are you sure?

dumbo-octopus.jpg

:p

Also no HD version makes me sad. :(

Blablurn

wow, the features sound quite nice. hopefully the blu ray version will ship later this year as well. i need this movie in HD :<

lol @ fish

Green Shinobi said:
I made a whole other thread about why I felt that Cloverfield is a classic. Years from now, this film will be remembered a whole lot more fondly than There Will Be Blood, and I don't care who calls me out for that statement.

wow. just wow. not in a good way.

samus4ever said:
wow. just wow. not in a good way.
I really don't think that There Will Be Blood is going to be remembered that well.

It looks pretty, and it has some good acting. But it's not the kind of film that many people are going to want to rewatch.

Don't take some elitist attitude because I called out a film that some people happened to like a lot.

Here are the Best Picture nominees from 1994:

Forrest Gump
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Shawshank Redemption, The

Guess what? Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is remembered a whole lot more fondly than two of those films. In any given year, the best comedies and action films are going to be remembered better than at least a few of the Oscar contending dramas.

Green Shinobi said:
I really don't think that There Will Be Blood is going to be remembered that well.

It looks pretty, and it has some good acting. But it's not the kind of film that many people are going to want to rewatch.

Don't take some elitist attitude because I called out a film that some people happened to like a lot.

Here are the Best Picture nominees from 1994:

Forrest Gump
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Shawshank Redemption, The

Guess what? Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is remembered a whole lot more fondly than two of those films.

well, i'm a film student and we talk about pulp fiction way more than ace ventura (well we never talk about ace). cloverfield will be remembered more than there will be blood, but from a film students eyes there will be blood will be talked about more in class then cloverfield.

samus4ever said:
well, i'm a film student and we talk about pulp fiction way more than ace ventura (well we never talk about ace). cloverfield will be remembered more than there will be blood, but from a film students eyes there will be blood will be talked about more in class then cloverfield.
I was talking about Quiz Show and Four Weddings and a Funeral. And I thought it was pretty obvious that I was talking from a popularity perspective when it comes to There Will Be Blood.

And as for what film students discuss, don't you think Cloverfield is going to get discussed a lot for its cinematography?

You mean the camera that never needs batteries? Just kidding. Cinematography is a lot different then you would think. Yeah, the dude with the camera shot the movie at almost 90% of the time with a canted frame. That's no use of special cinematography. Cloverfield is a genre movie. It's just that. I'm not trying to belittle you or your views. Just at a cinematic standpoint, it's just the same way that Blair Witch Project was presented. I"m not saying it's a bad movie, but think about how it's not a great piece of cinematic art ( ie German expressionisms, Italian neo realism, neo France movies).

samus4ever said:
You mean the camera that never needs batteries? Just kidding. Cinematography is a lot different then you would think. Yeah, the dude with the camera shot the movie at almost 90% of the time with a canted frames. That's no use of special cinematography. Cloverfield is a genre movie. It's just that. I'm not trying to belittle you or your views. Just at a cinematic standpoint, it's just the same way that Blair Witch Project was presented. I"m not saying it's a bad movie, but think about how it's not a great piece of cinematic art ( ie German expressionisms, Italian neo realism, neo France movies).
I realize that you and I probably have fundamentally different viewpoints on this matter, but IMO, the quality of a film and its status as "cinematic art" are not directly correlated. There are many other aspects that I always take into consideration.

Someday I'm going to make a thread regarding my theory on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom