• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN fires Reza Aslan after he tweeted Trump is a piece of shit.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-04-at-5.02.16-PM.jpg

Statement from Reza

Ef0B9cE.jpg

News: Reza Aslan Out At CNN On Heels Of Trump “Piece of Sh*t” Tweet
“CNN has decided to not move forward with production on the acquired series Believer with Reza Aslan. We wish Reza and his production team all the best,” a network rep said in a statement about the network’s decision on Season 2.

In his own, long statement [read full statement at end of post] Aslan said he is “disappointed” in CNN’s decision but recognizes “CNN needs to protect its brand as an unbiased news outlet.” Aslan on Sunday had apologized for his tweet blasting President Donald Trump after Trump had tweeted a plug for his travel ban shortly after word broke out of an attack on the London Bridge.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I would have fired him for not going hard enough. Trump is far beyond a simple turd.

He's not wrong, but hard to blame CNN. They still need to have a semblance of professionalism even if our fuckwad-in-chief doesn't.

Meanwhile Michelle Obama is compared to an ape for 8 years and people were slapped on the wrist. Obviously I'm not talking about CNN.

Makonero

He's not wrong, but hard to blame CNN. They still need to have a semblance of professionalism even if our fuckwad-in-chief doesn't.

Fuck that, they hired Corey Lewandowski, a man who literally assaulted a reporter while working directly for a presidential candidate.

kmax

I understand that he got fired but I applaud him for the way he got out.

He's got his honor intact.

Of 171K words to find in the dictionary, he opted for three that many Trump voters exercise from their own limited vocabulary.

Always be professional. And better.

It wasn't professional, but to fire him without offering him a chance to apologise on air?

Smacks of them just looking for something to dump him over.

Arkeband

Banned
Alt headline: CNN fires reporter for speaking the truth.

Reza isn't a reporter, he's just an 'expert' that they drag out every once in a while for issues concerning Islam.

In reality, this is probably a good move for his program, which deserves more leeway than being stuck on the BREAKING NEWS AHHHHH network.

I really like his statement on the matter. He takes ownership and stands by what he said. CNN can still have objective reporting while not trying to cater to the shitty republican base. I understand its an image thing, but they could have at least suspended him.

roknin

yeah i totally understand why CNN let him go

Indeed, as much as it sucks.

Tbh I don't envy a lot of the reporters, commentators, etc. right now. Like, I'm sorry but I could not sit there and have any sort of "back and forth" with fucking Jeffrey fucking Lord and take it seriously or not laugh in his face for five minutes straight.

CNN is trash through and through. About a month before Trump's travel ban announcement on the campaign trail, Reza was being interviewed by Dumb Lemon. Lemon was being purposefully obtuse in not differentiating Islam and terrorism and kept asking why Muslims weren't speaking up.

I think this is actually good if it gets talked about in the best ways, but alas, it won't. He is NOT a reporter. NOT a journalist. We need to make those distinctions clear again. They've been swallowed, between the Internet and the 24-hour news cycle.

Pizza

I feel like it's just easier to detach your social media from your actual self to a certain degree

Like, if this guy was saying this on his alt account there's a solid chance no one would have batted an eye or found out that it's him. Does heNEED to attach his face to his message to call out the president?

My Twitter isn't connected to my irl self so no one can easily see what I post. Also I don't put my place of employment at the forefront of my twitter self, divorcing the account from my job as well.

I wish our president was held to this same standard, but thems the breaks.

Top Bottom