• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN fires Reza Aslan after he tweeted Trump is a piece of shit.

nynt9

You know where else Reza Aslan is hated? On racists, Islamophobes and nazis' websites. Great company you got.

Nice try to "guilty by association". There are several patheos articles calling out Reza Aslan. And they're not racist or islamophobic. Sure, racists hate him, but I as a former muslim also dislike him. Then again, it's unsurprising you'd rush to his defense.

That being said, Reza isn't in the wrong here. What he did was unprofessional but he isn't wrong. CNN were way too hasty to fire him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He's not wrong.

I dislike Reza Asian though. He's so ideologically dedicated to whitewashing all religions to be equally benign and peaceful that he does dumb shit like claim atheist critics are bigots or defending Scientology as one of tomorrow's great faiths.

I did like his books on Islam and Jesus.

Nice try to "guilty by association". There are several patheos articles calling out Reza Aslan. And they're not racist or islamophobic. Sure, racists hate him, but I as a former muslim also dislike him. Then again, it's unsurprising you'd rush to his defense.
And its unsurprising you hate anyone who doesn't immediately say Islam is bad or evil.

orochi91

Opting to fire him over that tweet seems rather extreme, which leads me to believe that they were looking for a reason to let him go.

Either way, this is unfortunate.

nynt9

And its unsurprising you hate anyone who doesn't immediately say Islam is bad or evil.

I don't hate Aslan. I think he has good things to say, but also throws the baby out with the bathwater to apologize for the negative aspects of the religion. But either way his views on religion shouldn't derail the thread. He was wronged here and CNN fucked up.

BocoDragon

You know where else Reza Aslan is hated? On racists, Islamophobes and nazis' websites. Great company you got.
This post looks bad.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Aslan. Dude has an agenda.

firing someone for saying this, while jeffrey shitstain lord of shit still works for them, is some

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

lord is much more of a danger to society

UberTag

firing someone for saying this, while jeffrey shitstain lord of shit still works for them, is some

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

lord is much more of a danger to society
Jeffrey is doing and saying exactly what CNN wants him to do and say.
If he wasn't, he would be fired and replaced with a Jeffrey Lord-replacement.
Your issue is with CNN. It isn't with Lord. His literal job description is to fill the exact role he is filling.

Foggy

They're just maintaining their high standard of professionalism and contributions to the public discourse

Apathy

I really wish one of these personalities after getting canned for daring to say the truth and what they really feel would stock with it and go "yeah it's fine they fired me, I still think he's a piece of shit, hope everyone knows it"

I really wish one of these personalities after getting canned for daring to say the truth and what they really feel would stock with it and go "yeah it's fine they fired me, I still think he's a piece of shit, hope everyone knows it"

Isn't that basically what he said?

Rootbeer

Banned
He's not wrong, but that's the climate we are in now. People are losing their jobs all over the place over Trump, be it actions in favor of or against. Press should not be throwing around things like that though.

That's exactly what his statement is saying. "I need to honour my voice" = "I still think Trump is a piece of shit"

Read it again and you'll see that Reza hasn't apologised for what he said.

antonz

CNN should be more concerned with the constant bombardment of Fake News Label. Far more damaging than calling the President a Piece of shit

Apathy

That's exactly what his statement is saying. "I need to honour my voice" = "I still think Trump is a piece of shit"

Read it again and you'll see that Reza hasn't apologised for what he said.

No I know, what I mean is I wish they didn't have to sugar coat it in the nice adult way of saying it and just kept it with "he's a piece of shit"

Will those "but mah free speech" people be holding a rally in support of him?

Honestly, no, this was most likely due to a rallying cry to get him fired from people on that "side". To strike a blow at fake news. There was, I believe, a real tweet from Reza calling for actual rape of a congressman(?) being attached to the effort to get him fired.

I didn't really think much of it until I saw this post.

Vyer

He's not wrong.

I dislike Reza Asian though. He's so ideologically dedicated to whitewashing all religions to be equally benign and peaceful that he does dumb shit like claim atheist critics are bigots or defending Scientology as one of tomorrow's great faiths.

I did like his books on Islam and Jesus.

wait, what

No I know, what I mean is I wish they didn't have to sugar coat it in the nice adult way of saying it and just kept it with "he's a piece of shit"

Ah ok. Only people who can get away with that are professional trolls or those who are old/rich enough to not give a fuck about anything.

Rest of us still have to pretend to be professional :(

Opto

Banned
In this thread posters struggle to differentiate between the expectations placed on professional journalists and those placed on Twitter randos.
I expect my journalists to speak the truth and he said nothing less than it

Jumeira

Banned
Because he's an intellectually dishonest apologist for religion in general and Islam specifically.

This is stupid, apologist for Islam? Hes not apologising for your interpretation. Hes an expert and academic, a liberal one respected by Moderate Muslims, we need more like him.

Im really like Aslans book regarding cosmic war, so this is a shame, but Im sure hell be back on a mainstream network soon.

BocoDragon

wait, what

He did an apologetic episode about Scientology on his show Believer. The prominent critic of Scientology, Tony Ortega wrote about it here. It was not received well in Scientology critic circles:

http://tonyortega.org/2017/03/27/re...e-scientology-lived-down-to-all-expectations/

It's interesting that people in the anti-Scientology sphere independently came up with the word "dishonest" to describe Aslan's work, the exact word that Sam Harris also came to use to describe him.

You can watch it for yourself. He's basically that guy who'd claim Scientology is the same as all religions (as if that somehow reflects good on religion!) https://youtu.be/7iLmsls-CGA

In my opinion, Aslan has such an ideological dedication to the inherent equality, benignity and splendor of all religions that he makes weird enemies of people who actually do the work to criticize them on their individual points.

Dmax3901

This is the first time I'm happy with a "sorry but I'm not at all sorry" response from someone fired for saying the 'wrong' thing.

This is what your "argument" sounds like:
Do you drink water? I hope not.
You know who else drank water?
Hitler, Stalin, and even Lucifer himself. Great company you got.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I actually agree that commentators shouldn't express themselves like this. I think professional people should conduct themselves respectfully and with dignity in public.

But it seems totally untenable to simultaneously argue that the way Trump speaks about others is acceptable and that the way others speak about Trump is unacceptable.

And enforcing it against a guy who gets paid to talk on CNN and not against a guy who gets paid to use the nuclear codes seems arbitrary and capricious.

Top Bottom